RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac-12 2021-2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/22 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
myrtle wrote:
So the UCLA game at Oregon is postponed, but probably not for covid. I'm thinking it may be because UCLA doesn't have enough players to suit up. But then again, supposedly the Sunday game at OrSU is still listed as happening.

Quote:
The UCLA at Oregon women's basketball game on Friday, Jan. 28 has been postponed.
Additional information will be announced at a later date.

Purely speculation here, but their roster has become so thin due to injuries (sadly) that perhaps one single player being in/out of COVID protocols could be the difference between having enough players vs. not?

yeah, not sure. they had at least 6 players on the bench not available in the Arizona game, so since they were sitting there I'm assuming it wasn't Covid. But I don't know if all of them were injuries, and if so, how serious or longterm. And I haven't heard anything about Osbourne's injury. Losing her would be the biggest loss but they've just had really really bad luck.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/29/22 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see the Oregon/UCLA game has been declared a forfeit....? Now, what's the basis for THAT, instead of a postponement? Shocked

PostPosted: 01/29/22 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I see the Oregon/UCLA game has been declared a forfeit....? Now, what's the basis for THAT, instead of a postponement? Shocked

UCLA declared it as forfeit. It won't affect their overall record but it will hurt them in the PAC12 standings (as it will count as a loss).

Here are some more details:

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2022/01/oregon-womens-basketball-game-against-ucla-postponed-due-to-player-injuries-declared-a-forfeit-by-bruins.html?outputType=amp

undersized_post

PostPosted: 01/30/22 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bendu Yeaney for DPOY. Thoughts?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/09/22 1:47 am    ::: Re: Pac-12 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
A Utah commit from Minnesota, Gianna Kneepkens, scored 67 pts in her last high school game, a Minnesota high school record.

https://www.startribune.com/girls-basketball-67-point-game-from-duluth-marshall-s-gianna-kneepkens-not-enough/600040525/

Freshman guard Gianna Kneepkens an instant success for Utah women’s basketball
https://www.deseret.com/platform/amp/2022/2/8/22916672/utah-womens-basketball-guard-gianna-kneepkens-shines-duluth-marshall-minnesota-lynne-roberts-pac-12

Quote:
The fourth-leading scorer in Minnesota prep basketball history has already won Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors four times

Quote:
How does the fourth-leading scorer in Minnesota prep girls basketball history end up at Utah, of all places?

Kneepkens — it is a Dutch name, with her great grandparents having migrated to the United States from the Netherlands — said she got a phone call from a Utah assistant after she played well in an AAU tournament early in her high school career. She visited the campus before the pandemic hit, and when the time came to make a choice between the Utes and home state favorite Minnesota, she picked Utah.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/09/22 11:32 am    ::: Re: Pac-12 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:
How does the fourth-leading scorer in Minnesota prep girls basketball history end up at Utah, of all places?

Kneepkens — it is a Dutch name, with her great grandparents having migrated to the United States from the Netherlands — said she got a phone call from a Utah assistant after she played well in an AAU tournament early in her high school career. She visited the campus before the pandemic hit, and when the time came to make a choice between the Utes and home state favorite Minnesota, she picked Utah.

Recruiters, ya never know what the random phone call might bring.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/09/22 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never expected Wazzou to be this bad this year. they've regressed.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/09/22 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I never expected Wazzou to be this bad this year. they've regressed.

I wonder if it's just the fact that Charlisse is no longer a surprise and the PAC coaches have all had 1+ go arounds on how to prep for them. Granted, they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn today.

PostPosted: 02/09/22 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how long it will be before Jordyn Jenkins transfers. She's from Seattle and UW is the only team worse than SC. Still I think Langley is a better bet than Gottlieb. There's still WSU, OSU and Oregon if she wants to stick to the Northwest but I think most teams would welcome her if she decides to leave. She's definitely a talent and the only reason USC had been in some of these games.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/12/22 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yesterday at the AZ - AZ St. game, there were 52 fouls called. Shocked

I picked some random games for comarison: SC @ KY, MI @ MI St., and MO @ TN. Average total fouls - low 30s. Are the AZ teams THAT much more physical, or am I seeing a fluke?

PostPosted: 02/12/22 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Yesterday at the AZ - AZ St. game, there were 52 fouls called. Shocked

I picked some random games for comarison: SC @ KY, MI @ MI St., and MO @ TN. Average total fouls - low 30s. Are the AZ teams THAT much more physical, or am I seeing a fluke?

For whatever reason, the refs seemed to be totally on the offensive player side, so whenever someone bulldozed into the lane a foul would be called on the defense. And the players aren't dumb, if it's called that way they will bulldoze more and more. I don't know how many fouls Pellington drew but it must have been a lot. If they had called an o-foul on her fairly early on, perhaps that would have stopped some of it. There also seemed to be quite a few illegal screen type calls. So it's at least partially because of the refs, but it starts with two very physical teams to begin with (remember a couple of years ago, Rueck said playing in the desert was like playing football), then add in the rivalry aspect. It will be interesting to see how the return match is called. It's almost as if it needs to be called tight from the very beginning to keep it from getting out of hand.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/12/22 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I don't know how many fouls Pellington drew but it must have been a lot.

Well, she attempted 19 free throws. And that doesn't count the non-shooting fouls she drew. So, ya....it WAS a lot.

PostPosted: 02/26/22 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PAC 12 Tournament is set, running from Mar. 2-6.

PostPosted: 03/04/22 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charli Turner Thorne leaves behind an interesting legacy as one of the most successful wcbb coaches of all-time to have never coached their team to a Final Four – which seems to be a statement that contradicts itself.

Never more than a decent recruiter, but nonetheless a fabulous coach.

Doesn’t sound like there’s a succession plan set up. I wonder what the candidate pool will look like, and who will ultimately take the reigns.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/04/22 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Never more than a decent recruiter, but nonetheless a fabulous coach.

I've actually thought some of the recruiting issues results from the coaching style. Her idea of everybody being equal so she can just randomly throw players in and out could appeal to mid range players who know they'll get playing time, but not so appealing to top recruits who want to get their 30 plus minutes/game. This year it has seemed like she's giving her starters more minutes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: