RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NBA-TV query

View previous topic :: View next topic  
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/04/05 4:43 pm    ::: NBA-TV query Reply Reply with quote

I feel silly for not knowing, but we didn't have NBA-TV last year, so I don't know, and the dot-com's not exactly a gusher for up-to-date TV info:

Does NBA-TV rebroadcast all local/regional WNBA broadcasts, or only some of them, or few to none of them? That is, if there's (let's say) a Liberty game on TV in NY/NJ, am I guaranteed to be able to watch it on NBA-TV in Minnesota?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 05/04/05 5:18 pm    ::: Re: NBA-TV query Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
I feel silly for not knowing, but we didn't have NBA-TV last year, so I don't know, and the dot-com's not exactly a gusher for up-to-date TV info:

Does NBA-TV rebroadcast all local/regional WNBA broadcasts, or only some of them, or few to none of them? That is, if there's (let's say) a Liberty game on TV in NY/NJ, am I guaranteed to be able to watch it on NBA-TV in Minnesota?

Only some of them, they also had webcasts last year, some were on TV, but most weren't. I seem to recall, some of the fans in Washington and Houston getting blacked out of a few games on NBATv, I'm thinking that some in New York did as well, seems like if MSG carried the games, then NBATv didn't show it in the NY area, something along those lines. It was very confusing, I got all the games that were broadcast on NBATV, but I'm in Tennessee, so I don't have any worries about regional blackouts and such.

I also honestly think the rules change from day to day on the blackouts.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/04/05 5:26 pm    ::: Re: NBA-TV query Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
accommodatingly wrote:

Only some of them, they also had webcasts last year, some were on TV, but most weren't.

Thanks. Did you have to pay to view the webcasts (as you do, for example, with UConn's CPTV webcasts)?

gopher5

PostPosted: 05/04/05 5:29 pm    ::: Re: NBA-TV query Reply Reply with quote

I had NBA-TV last year (and we should be in the same market) on Comcast. I never noticed them re-broadcasting games (except maybe in the playoffs), but maybe I did not notice it.

The games they did show gave me an opportunity to catch more games than just relying on ESPN/ABC, FSN and Oxygen. They were always live versions of the games, unlike during the college season when I could watch a game three or four times in replays on the Fox regional channels.

From what I remember, NBATV picked up maybe 2 or 3 additional games a week (sorry if I am not remembering correctly). I remember one instance where a game was supposed to be on and they aired a Michael Jordan special that was about 8 years old. I think this was done nationwide (not a regional blackout).

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/04/05 5:37 pm    ::: Re: NBA-TV query Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
I had NBA-TV last year (and we should be in the same market) on Comcast. I never noticed them re-broadcasting games (except maybe in the playoffs), but maybe I did not notice it.

The games they did show gave me an opportunity to catch more games than just relying on ESPN/ABC, FSN and Oxygen. They were always live versions of the games, unlike during the college season when I could watch a game three or four times in replays on the Fox regional channels.

From what I remember, NBATV picked up maybe 2 or 3 additional games a week (sorry if I am not remembering correctly). I remember one instance where a game was supposed to be on and they aired a Michael Jordan special that was about 8 years old. I think this was done nationwide (not a regional blackout).

By "re-broadcast" I meant "pick up a local channel's broadcast and show it nationwide in real time," not "broadcast again after the game has concluded." Sorry to be ambiguous.

2 or 3 additional games a week sounds good if not great. I remember the Michael Jordan preemption-- the Lynx board went nuts!-- and I believe it turned out not to be NBA-TV's fault: they can only broadcast (or "re-broadcast") what they get from a local channel (in that case, AZTV), and AZTV decided not to show the Phoenix game it had promised, so NBA-TV had nothing to (re)broadcast.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 05/04/05 5:38 pm    ::: Re: NBA-TV query Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:

I remember one instance where a game was supposed to be on and they aired a Michael Jordan special that was about 8 years old. I think this was done nationwide (not a regional blackout).

Yeah, I remember that one, I don't think it was televised anywhere, I believe it was based on a real old broadcast schedule, and it was funny, because upon checking around, it appeared that broadcast had been cancelled a month or so before that, but the left hand never seems to know what the right hand is doing, and they also had a few games in progress before the telecast started.

They really aren't very coordinated with the feeds they are carrying or are supposedly going to carry. Similar to the way wnba.com is being updated now.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 05/04/05 5:43 pm    ::: Re: NBA-TV query Reply Reply with quote

For another angle, I had NBA TV for the first time last yr & I'm in the Twin Cities but have Time Warner digital cable.

Basically it seemed in this area for example, if the Lynx were home & the gm was locally broadcast (FSN) & scheduled for NBATV, it was blacked out on NBATV in this area. So no loss to viewers unless they didn't have FSN. I saw 2 Lynx road gms on NBATV. Never recall any rebroadcast during the regular season.

There were a couple of gms on every wk so I to me it was a great deal.

(One day I'll figure out how to do this right the first time to avoid multiple edits Confused )

Last edited by MNfan22 on 05/04/05 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 05/04/05 5:46 pm    ::: Re: NBA-TV query Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
For another angle, I had NBA TV for the first time last yr & I'm in the Twin Cities but have Time Warner digital cable.

Basically it seemed in this area for example, if the Lynx were home & the gm was locally broadcast (FSN) it was blacked out on NBATV in this area. So no loss to viewers unless the didn't have FSN. I saw 2 Lynx road gms on NBATV. Never recall any rebroadcast during the regular season.

There were a couple of gms on every wk so I to me it was a great deal.

I believe some of the Washington fans had the same situation, they had a local station carrying some of the Mystics games, but unfortunately, a lot of the fans couldn't get that particular local station, but the game was blacked out on NBATv in the DC area.

sambista

PostPosted: 05/04/05 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's tough to discern a pattern - that's certainly true for blackouts. for example, ny games were shown live in the new york area on msg and repeated around midnight. but if ny played in indiana and nba tv was skedded to broadcast it, it would be blacked out. directv could never say exactly who had the control to air it or block it. and if i'm not imagining it, there were a coupla games played by two teams that were not ny, and they were blacked out in the ny area, too.

the webcasts were a hodgepodge kinda thing with realplayer. can't remember how much it was - something like $14.95, i think, for about 10 or so games via internet. they were hit and miss - sometimes the "reception" was great, other times, like a slideshow. (but i was happy to have it, vs. nothing.) sometimes even the link to the webcast didn't work!

i think it'll all be different this year. donna o's at the helm, and she's having none of this half-ass stuff (i'm a believer). how much of it she can whip into shape at the 11th hour remains to be seen.

i still think it's not asking much for a "game of the week." somebody has an "international game of the week now." is it nba tv or espn? i mean, c'mon. what's a coupla hours in the middle of the night, for cryin' out loud?

PostPosted: 05/04/05 5:50 pm    ::: Re: NBA-TV query Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:

By "re-broadcast" I meant "pick up a local channel's broadcast and show it nationwide in real time," not "broadcast again after the game has concluded." Sorry to be ambiguous.).

No - that was my fault. I was still thinking in terms of college basketball. Last year, I think FCP did a good job of providing weekly updates on the TV schedule (but again maybe I am thinking of the college season).

I'm not sure I even realized I had NBA-TV until the season was under way and I was looking for all the Lynx and Sun games I could find. Of course, Comcast decided right at the time of the Finals to replace NBA-TV with the NFL Network and I had to add a small package of channels to get it back.

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/04/05 6:22 pm    ::: GOTW Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
i think it'll all be different this year. donna o's at the helm, and she's having none of this half-ass stuff (i'm a believer). how much of it she can whip into shape at the 11th hour remains to be seen.

i still think it's not asking much for a "game of the week." somebody has an "international game of the week now." is it nba tv or espn? i mean, c'mon. what's a coupla hours in the middle of the night, for cryin' out loud?

Yes, although NBA-TV remains limited to what they can pick up from local broadcasters: if a game is on national TV elsewhere, it won't be available for NBA-TV, and if a game's not already scheduled for broadcast by local TV, NBA-TV isn't going to pay to send its own broadcasters and camera crew: that's not their business model.

Isn't the point of an international (men's) GOTW that it's taking place in the middle of the night in real time, because it's taking place overseas? Just wondering.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: