RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Big "Reveal"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/27/22 7:47 pm    ::: The Big "Reveal" Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing UConn going to Spokane. Sure. Like that would really happen.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33161618/south-carolina-tops-projected-no-1-seeds-top-16-reveal-ncaa-women-basketball-tournament

pilight

PostPosted: 01/27/22 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's already out of date with Tennessee losing to Auburn tonight

PostPosted: 01/27/22 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to mention LSU...

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/27/22 10:20 pm    ::: Re: The Big "Reveal" Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing UConn going to Spokane. Sure. Like that would really happen.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33161618/south-carolina-tops-projected-no-1-seeds-top-16-reveal-ncaa-women-basketball-tournament

I think it would be hilarious. It would be a terrible idea, attendance-wise. But it would be hilarious if they held a Bridgeport regional without UConn.

(now with spelling variations)
undersized_post

PostPosted: 01/27/22 10:44 pm    ::: Re: The Big "Reveal" Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I think it would be hilarious. It would be a terrible idea, attendance-wise. But it would be hilarious if they held a Bridgeport regional without UConn.

Maybe the Huskies, in protest, could organize a silent sit-in. At least it would still be a sell out. Laughing

linkster

PostPosted: 01/28/22 12:09 am    ::: Re: The Big "Reveal" Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I'm sure the committee is looking for hilarious. Tara would wet her pants laughing if she had UConn in her region.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 01/28/22 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, I wonder if the committee put this out there with UConn in Spokane or another region to gauge what the reaction would be if they actually moved UConn out of Bridgeport. At some point, it's only fair that UConn has to travel instead of getting a home regional essentially every year. This year....is as good as any.

With that being said, the TN and LSU losses tonight scramble things up a bit. Plenty of basketball between now and the official bracket.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/28/22 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Honestly, I wonder if the committee put this out there with UConn in Spokane or another region to gauge what the reaction would be if they actually moved UConn out of Bridgeport. At some point, it's only fair that UConn has to travel instead of getting a home regional essentially every year. This year....is as good as any.

With that being said, the TN and LSU losses tonight scramble things up a bit. Plenty of basketball between now and the official bracket.

UConn gets assigned by the seeding committee and if you think it's unfair then how would you solve it? And remember that those rules will apply to everyone. I was all in favor of a one-site S16 and E8.

It's certainly nice to get to play close to home. But all any team has to do is a) draw enough to get arenas in your area to bid and b) get good enough to be a 1 seed most every year and earn that advantage.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/28/22 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

UConn gets assigned by the seeding committee and if you think it's unfair then how would you solve it? And remember that those rules will apply to everyone.

I doubt anyone would have a problem if anyone other than myopic UConn fanatics believed for an instant that the same rules are even handedly applied to everyone.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/22 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

part of the problem in terms of even-handedness is that the only other regional that is almost always in somebody's backyard is the Greensboro one. So one of the Carolina's is always close to home. Spokane as a 'home' advantage for Stanford is laughable. Yeah, it's in the same time zone, but it's also 1000 miles away. About the same distance as it is from Columbia, SC to Dallas TX. Would they ever consider Dallas a 'home' advantage for SoCaro?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/28/22 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

UConn gets assigned by the seeding committee and if you think it's unfair then how would you solve it? And remember that those rules will apply to everyone. I was all in favor of a one-site S16 and E8.

It's certainly nice to get to play close to home. But all any team has to do is a) draw enough to get arenas in your area to bid and b) get good enough to be a 1 seed most every year and earn that advantage.

Bullshit.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/22 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charlie says they had "no choice" but if you look at it there are numerous ways they could/would put UConn in Bridgeport. One simple way would be to just switch 2,3,4 in Spokane with 2,3,4 in Bridgeport. They already futz it around as far as 1 -16 so that's totally in the realm of how they would treat it. And it would be shocking if they didn't. By then of course, Tenn won't likely be a #1 unless they win out and beat SoCaro. Stanford is likely to lose another one before the end of season, so they also could drop to a #2. If Louis wins out, they could easily move up. It's unlikely Indy can hold onto a #2 without their Big Mac in the middle. Lots of if/thens.

Also if BYU wins out, they could slip in as a #4, which would make it easier to move teams around...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/28/22 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Charlie says they had "no choice" but if you look at it there are numerous ways they could/would put UConn in Bridgeport. One simple way would be to just switch 2,3,4 in Spokane with 2,3,4 in Bridgeport. They already futz it around as far as 1 -16 so that's totally in the realm of how they would treat it. And it would be shocking if they didn't. By then of course, Tenn won't likely be a #1 unless they win out and beat SoCaro. Stanford is likely to lose another one before the end of season, so they also could drop to a #2. If Louis wins out, they could easily move up. It's unlikely Indy can hold onto a #2 without their Big Mac in the middle. Lots of if/thens.

Also if BYU wins out, they could slip in as a #4, which would make it easier to move teams around...

As they say, there's still lots of games to be played. The committee will be playing its own.

Considering its remaining schedule compared to other top teams, UConn will keep winning easily regardless of injuries while others get upset. By the end the committee will spin why they made UConn a 1 or 2 in Bridgeport and Geno will be smiling at how they're all scared to cross him.

Putting them in another region now when it's meaningless just provides them a tiny shred of cover to claim Bridgeport wasn't a foregone outcome.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/28/22 1:20 pm    ::: Re: The Big "Reveal" Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I'm sure the committee is looking for hilarious. Tara would wet her pants laughing if she had UConn in her region.

....and GENO would be shitting his! Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 01/28/22 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

UConn gets assigned by the seeding committee and if you think it's unfair then how would you solve it? And remember that those rules will apply to everyone.

I doubt anyone would have a problem if anyone other than myopic UConn fanatics believed for an instant that the same rules are even handedly applied to everyone.

Yeah, like waivers for players to compete without sitting out a season? Even fair rules benefit teams differently. When the NCAA let regionals be played at schools there were 4 schools that benefited. Was that fair? It was certainly a fair process but was it fair to the teams that had to play there?

Poor Irish, never get a break.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/28/22 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creme explained the rules that put UConn in Spokane if it is a 3 seed on the S-curve. After S-curve seeding, the rule against same conference teams on the top 4 seed lines being in the same regional trumps the G-curve (e.g., Bridgeport for UConn).

Quote:
UConn's status as a No. 3 seed leaves it more vulnerable to the principles of bracketing, which includes separating teams from the same conference among the top four seed lines. With four teams from both the SEC and Big 12 among the top 16, and needing to be placed in different regions, the committee had no choice but to move UConn west.

Of course, the S-curve seedings will change by tournament time, so no team's regional is cast in current stone.
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/22 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Creme explained the rules that put UConn in Spokane if it is a 3 seed on the S-curve. After S-curve seeding, the rule against same conference teams on the top 4 seed lines being in the same regional trumps the G-curve (e.g., Bridgeport for UConn).

Quote:
UConn's status as a No. 3 seed leaves it more vulnerable to the principles of bracketing, which includes separating teams from the same conference among the top four seed lines. With four teams from both the SEC and Big 12 among the top 16, and needing to be placed in different regions, the committee had no choice but to move UConn west.

Of course, the S-curve seedings will change by tournament time, so no team's regional is cast in current stone.

and as I said before, they could easily have fiddled the s-curve just a tid and switched out the 2,3,4's between Spokane and Bridgeport. Nobody would even have noticed. Charlie saying they had no choice is BS. They already fiddled several teams in order to keep conference foes separated. One more fiddling wouldn't have mattered. And to salve their consciences they could easily have slightly changed the order of 1-16 as well. It's certainly not set in stone. Doing it this way just brought everybody's attention to it. I think Art may have it right, that it's basically a feint and when the dust settles, UConn will be in Bridgeport. I'm sure the Bridgeport people hope so and probably put their bid in with the knowledge that surely UConn and all its fans would be there to pay for it. And realistically, as much as we like the idea of neutral sites, we're not at the point in the women's game to ignore the finances of it all. Speaking of which, I'm surprised Spokane continues to successfully bid for a regional. The only local school/fans they can hope to get are the Zags. Maybe that is enough, though it's not clear that this year the Zags will be there either.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/28/22 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Putting them in another region now when it's meaningless just provides them a tiny shred of cover to claim Bridgeport wasn't a foregone outcome.

That was my thought as well

PostPosted: 01/28/22 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where do I sign for Spokane and a healthy Bueckers?

awhom111

PostPosted: 01/29/22 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

BYU does have the added situation of only being able to play in the non-Sunday regionals.
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/29/22 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Where do I sign for Spokane and a healthy Bueckers?

X____________________

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 01/29/22 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lets make UConn the lowest seed ever to win it all!

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/22 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Had a new reveal tonight and again it's immediately out of date

PostPosted: 02/11/22 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
lets make UConn the lowest seed ever to win it all!

11 seed ? Correct me if im wrong but i think Tennessee is the highest seed to win the tourney when they were a 10 seed back in the Summit days ?

PostPosted: 02/11/22 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
When the NCAA let regionals be played at schools there were 4 schools that benefited. Was that fair? It was certainly a fair process but was it fair to the teams that had to play there?

You know, going way back to when UConn was building their reputation back in 1995 (when they won their first NC)? Before they were the big name they are now and when they only had one Final Four under their belt? Where were those first four rounds played?

Right...

Because UConn never (1995) ever (2004) hosted (2006) a (2013) regional (2015, 2016, 2017, 2022)...

Oh I know, technically, they only "hosted" two of them (1995 at Gampel, and 2004 in the HCC), but come on, CT is not a big enough state with enough Div 1 programs to use the "Well, it's not actually our home court..." line. And I didn't even include the RI one in 2012.

ND had ONE regional that they hosted (when they were a #1 seed). UConn has had two on their home courts long before ND did that one (not factoring in the many that were what, 82 miles from Storrs? I believe that's what mapquest says it is)

BTW, those aren't the only cases. Texas Tech hosted the regionals one year (1998), but unfortunately for them, they didn't play in them because a certain team from Indiana, wearing green nail polish, knocked them out in the 2nd round.

And should we mention hijacking the BET so it was always played in the HCC when it used to rotate between schools?

You should have just stopped at your transfer complaint. At least that has merit. Complaining about a team hosting the regional once considering UConn's history regarding regionals? Not so much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: