RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021-22 Top 25 AP Poll Weekly Releases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coyotes

PostPosted: 01/17/22 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Oklahoma got a lot more consideration for beating Baylor than Oregon did for beating Arizona.

I think that it's been tough to rank Oregon this year given that they've dropped games to UC Davis, South Florida, and Kansas State -- granted that they've had some injuries. You'd think that the polls would also take into account Oregon beat Oklahoma when at less than full strength. Perhaps we'll see today what Oregon is made of -- but given the way they've had to rally late in their two previous games, I'm not sure what to expect.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/17/22 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Oklahoma got a lot more consideration for beating Baylor than Oregon did for beating Arizona.

We all know that Oregon stole the game. Barnes made that clear, didn't she?

Howee

PostPosted: 01/17/22 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

True enough. A bump up of 9+ is pretty unusual. And even though OR beat OK in their head-to-head matchup, OK still holds a better overall record, and a higher ranking than OR on Massey, SOS, etc. I am hoping OR is going to follow suit.

PostPosted: 01/24/22 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=12

South Carolina still #1

NC State up to #3

Texas up to #9

Iowa State down to #13

North Carolina, Colorado, Kentucky, and FGCU out
Oregon, Ohio State, Kansas State, and Mississippi in

Last edited by pilight on 01/24/22 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/24/22 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=12

South Carolina still #1

NC State up to #3

Texas up to #9

Iowa State down to #13

Colorado, Kentucky, and FGCU out
Ohio State, Kansas State, and Mississippi in

I guess it is inertia, but I find it really hard to justify Stanford above NCState. The Pack have a better record, with better wins and better losses.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 01/24/22 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas moves up from #15 to #9 after beating Joens U without Joens and Joens? Mhmm, Ok. The Big 12 rankings are a bit wonky in general.

The Big 10 rankings look fine on the surface, but it's going to be very hard for Indiana to sustain their #6 level of play without Holmes. On the other hand, they played a very front-heavy schedule. Their only ranked game in the next four weeks is at Michigan. Even if they lose that one, they could still hang on to a top-10 spot by the time Holmes (hopefully) returns for IU's games against Iowa and Maryland to close the regular season. It's also possible IU's game vs. Iowa that was cancelled this past weekend might get rescheduled before then.

#17 Maryland at 13-6 has more losses than any other top 25 team, but they've also played one of the toughest schedules. Every single one of those losses are to a top 25 team, and all but one are to top 7 teams. Shocked Even so, is this the lowest Maryland has been in quite some time?

It was clear that Ohio State was moving back in the poll after beating Maryland, so I thought Iowa might get bumped off the #25 spot. Instead it was FGCU and North Carolina who got bumped out. Iowa will need avenge their loss to Northwestern this coming Friday if they want to stay ranked.

Northwestern and Nebraska, both having received votes at one point, are on losing streaks, augmented in Nebraska's case by a COVID pause.

Purdue also has an interesting resume with wins over Georgia Tech, Florida State, and Michigan State. If they can go 2-2 against Michigan/Indiana/Northwestern/Nebraska, I think they have a shot to snag a 10- or 11-seed.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/24/22 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

....and NOW Oregon gets a 7-slot bump up! Razz

Ya, Indiana took a hit with that injury....gawd only knows who's next! Shocked

PostPosted: 01/24/22 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Oregon deserves a bigger bump, IMO! It's just a completely difference team with a fully healthy lineup, so I'm totally willing to pretend those early December losses never happened. I'd personally put them in the top 10.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/24/22 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Howee wrote:

Oregon deserves a bigger bump, IMO! It's just a completely difference team with a fully healthy lineup, so I'm totally willing to pretend those early December losses never happened. I'd personally put them in the top 10.

yeah, it's so hard to rank a team when they spent half the season missing three starters. It's like the normal metrics just don't work.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/24/22 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Ya, Indiana took a hit with that injury....gawd only knows who's next! Shocked

I guess it’ll be FGCU as Bell is now out with a partial meniscus tear. Crying or Very sad

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/25/22 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I guess it is inertia, but I find it really hard to justify Stanford above NCState. The Pack have a better record, with better wins and better losses.

Not sure what you mean here. In current top 5 Stanford beat Tenn while NCState beat Louis. Stanford came very very close to beating SC while NCSt was pretty easily beaten by SC. Outside of that, Stanford and NCSt both beat Indy and Maryland. Stanford lost to Texas who is currently top 10 teams and the loss to SoFl came when they played three ranked teams in three days. Not much worse, if any, to losing to Georgia.

I would say the ranking primarily comes down to their performances against SoCaro.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/31/22 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=13

South Carolina still #1

Louisville up to #4

Baylor up to #9

Texas down to #13

Florida Gulf Coast and North Carolina in
Duke and Mississippi out

PostPosted: 01/31/22 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a leeeetle bit odd that TX took a hit for their loss to OK, but OK didn't get any bumps up for that. Hmmm.

PostPosted: 02/07/22 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=14

South Carolina unanimous again

Louisville up to #3

Oklahoma up to #12

Tennessee down to #13

Florida in
Kansas State out

PostPosted: 02/07/22 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ummm.....how does Notre Dame lose to Florida St. and....move UP 2 spots?? Shocked

Also, how does Baylor stay ahead of Oklahoma (who has a better record), when they've lost to them twice now, AND to K St.?

PostPosted: 02/07/22 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ummm.....how does Notre Dame lose to Florida St. and....move UP 2 spots?? Shocked

Also, how does Baylor stay ahead of Oklahoma (who has a better record), when they've lost to them twice now, AND to K St.?

it's called inertia.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/07/22 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Notre Dame also beat the #3 team. I suppose voters are willing to overlook a not so great loss if you snag a great win, too.

The Big 12 is a Big trans12ive (transitive) mess lol. Each of the top 5 teams has beaten two of the other top teams but also lost to two of the other top teams.

Iowa State: W over KSUx2 and Oklahoma. L to Baylor and Texas.
Baylor: W over ISU and Texasx2. L to KSU and Oklahoma.
Oklahoma: W over Baylorx2 and Texas. L to ISU and KSU.
Kansas State: W over Oklahoma and Baylor. L to ISUx2 and Texas.
Texas: W over ISU and KSU. L to Baylorx2 and Oklahomax2. Additionally, a good win over Stanford seems to have given buffer against bad losses to Kansas and Texas Tech.

In other words:
Texas beat Iowa State, who beat Kansas State twice, who beat Oklahoma, who beat Baylor twice, who beat Texas twice, who beat Kansas State, who beat Baylor, who beat Iowa State, who beat Oklahoma, who beat Texas, who also lost to Kansas and Texas Tech.

PostPosted: 02/07/22 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma is the team that got destroyed by KSU and Lee’s record 61 pts. Not sure they can or should recover from that.

Baylor just swept Texas, who were ranked #13 and now drop to #16.

When they lose, Baylor has always done so by less than 10 pts.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/07/22 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Howee wrote:

Notre Dame also beat the #3 team. I suppose voters are willing to overlook a not so great loss if you snag a great win, too.

The Big 12 is a Big trans12ive (transitive) mess lol. Each of the top 5 teams has beaten two of the other top teams but also lost to two of the other top teams.

Iowa State: W over KSUx2 and Oklahoma. L to Baylor and Texas.
Baylor: W over ISU and Texasx2. L to KSU and Oklahoma.
Oklahoma: W over Baylorx2 and Texas. L to ISU and KSU.
Kansas State: W over Oklahoma and Baylor. L to ISUx2 and Texas.
Texas: W over ISU and KSU. L to Baylorx2 and Oklahomax2. Additionally, a good win over Stanford seems to have given buffer against bad losses to Kansas and Texas Tech.

In other words:
Texas beat Iowa State, who beat Kansas State twice, who beat Oklahoma, who beat Baylor twice, who beat Texas twice, who beat Kansas State, who beat Baylor, who beat Iowa State, who beat Oklahoma, who beat Texas, who also lost to Kansas and Texas Tech.

Kim knew it was time leave the ship and go to better horizons.

PostPosted: 02/07/22 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Kim knew it was time leave the ship and go to better horizons.

I had that thought as well. Her timing was good and of course everyone will blame the new coach, but the cupboard was on the bare side (other than super studette Smith).

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/08/22 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While all that may be true, did anyone expect LSU to be #14 in the nation in the 2nd week of February? Hell no. If there is a coach that can do a lot with a little, I would say it's Mulkey. No one can deny the impact she has had on that program. And while Baylor may not be loaded like past years, they are still talented and if the past is any indication, she would have had them among the top teams.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/08/22 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not sure how much praise should be dumped on Mulkey just yet. It’s not like LSU was terrible last year (been keeping an eye on them because of Pointer) and her entire starting lineup are fifth year players. She was able to steal Hannah Gusters from Baylor and Alexis Morris came in as one of her traditional guard transfers. Next year will be the real test for Mulkey when she loses her entire starting lineup. But there’s no shortage of people who want to play for her, so I expect long term that LSU could become what Baylor was. Might take a while to rise above SC though.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/08/22 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

agree about next year as a test for Mulkey but with the transfer portal in full operation, I expect she'll be busy scooping up some of the best. And if she can meld them together, kudos to her.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/08/22 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor needed a Kim Mulkey to create its success. I don't think Kim needs Baylor as much as they needed her. The Coach MATTERS. Bigly.

Just look at the Big 12 situation with Baylor/Oklahoma; both teams take on a new coach this season. One inherited a better roster than the other. The OTHER one has a much better record, as of now.

PostPosted: 02/09/22 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU will be fine. Baylor? As a Korean doctor I used to work with would say, "This one, I not so sure."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: