Board Junkies Forums

2022 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/21/22 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Also the main knock on Howard seems to be "she doesn't play hard" or "she doesn't seem to try all the time". Well okay, but look at the production (and with limited help). If that's what she can do when she's not really trying, so that's kind of your floor for a supposedly half-assed Howard, imagine what's possible if that's actually right and a coach manages to push her. Or maybe actually being paid for her performances is a motivator.

OTOH a lack of effort was the #1 knock on LaToya Thomas, who was a very productive college player. There's good reason to be wary of such players.

+1

Milks26

PostPosted: 01/21/22 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Kierstan Bell announces she'll enter 2022 draft.

https://theballout.com/2022/01/kierstan-bell-declares-2022-wnba-draft

I had a feeling she was going to declare this yr. She's ripe right now. Wings #4 - scratch Arike off

PostPosted: 01/21/22 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Also the main knock on Howard seems to be "she doesn't play hard" or "she doesn't seem to try all the time". Well okay, but look at the production (and with limited help). If that's what she can do when she's not really trying, so that's kind of your floor for a supposedly half-assed Howard, imagine what's possible if that's actually right and a coach manages to push her. Or maybe actually being paid for her performances is a motivator.

OTOH a lack of effort was the #1 knock on LaToya Thomas, who was a very productive college player. There's good reason to be wary of such players.

+1

Howard’s issue is not being motivated…with the players in Washington…she won’t have that issue. With Thibault as a coach she won’t have that issue… she doesn’t respect where she is and that’s causing issues on the team. She got her two besties there just to play ball together, not to win. She’s enjoying herself and right now that’s enough for her.

PostPosted: 01/22/22 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Ballarat Miners have announced the signing of Jade Melbourne. Just like Ezi Magbegor signing in NBL1 was an indicator of stash potential, this seems like a signal that she is not planning on trying to make a WNBA roster this year.

A couple media outlets out there picked up on reporting that Mailee Jones is declaring for the draft after she announced that on her Instagram page. It seems that she has been playing professionally in Vietnam since leaving Youngstown State in 2017 after her freshman year so it seems safe to say that she has already gone undrafted.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/22/22 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Melbourne, for want of a better term, actually any good? I don't remember being particularly impressed by what I saw at the U19 Worlds, and her numbers are fairly ordinary in the WNBL this year. But then obviously she's only 19.

It's just that, for example, Minnesota have a very crowded roster, without any obvious cuts to open up room for the #9 overall pick (assuming Fowles re-signs and they add a point guard of some description). So if there was someone worth taking there who'd stay away for a year, it would make sense to me. But I'm not sure Melbourne, or Sika Kone, or whoever, are going to be considered worth that kind of pick this year.

PostPosted: 01/22/22 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She is the type of player who I think should be aiming for the WNBA, but I don't see her as a first rounder.
I do think she's worth a draft & stash though because she could be a late bloomer. Has not looked out of place since joining the WNBL. Kind of caught in a guard log jam this season with Canberra, which is probably not the worst thing for her. I think one more season after this one - playing as a starter - would be her sweet spot.

PostPosted: 01/22/22 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

+1

Howard’s issue is not being motivated…with the players in Washington…she won’t have that issue. With Thibault as a coach she won’t have that issue… she doesn’t respect where she is and that’s causing issues on the team. She got her two besties there just to play ball together, not to win. She’s enjoying herself and right now that’s enough for her.

Great and good players are motivated by basketball. If what you factually wrote you know is true (and I don't think you do), then she's not a good pick. You live in Atlanta, how do you know all this? Or is this just your opinion?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/23/22 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ayoka Lee 32 pts at Half
Oklahoma Sooners 27

PostPosted: 01/23/22 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ayoka Lee now with 51 pts
Oklahoma Sooners 51 pts

8 mins to go in the 4th #BeastMode

PostPosted: 01/23/22 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ayoka Lee 61 pts 12 rebs
Oklahoma 61 pts

2:30 to go in the 4th. This is my first time watching her with a spotlight she seems to have put on some muscle !!

PostPosted: 01/23/22 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched most of the second half. Credit Lee for successfully exploiting the opportunity presented to her. She abused a small lineup. Oklahoma starts a 6-2 center surrounded by 4 players under 6-0. KU simply tossed lob passes up to Lee, and Oklahoma had no answer. That's not something to count on at the pro level.

I view Lee as a more active Carolyn Swords. WNBA fans don't think of Swords as a scorer, but she averaged 17.5 ppg in her senior year and 15.3 for her career. Notably, Carolyn is only one of two women to lead the nation in field goal percentage 3 years in a row. She finished with the 4th highest career field goal percentage in NCAAW history. However, Swords only averaged 9.5 shots per game over her career. Including today, Lee is averaging 13.1. Ayoka also takes 5.1 free throw attempts per game compared to Swords's 3.5. She works hard to get herself free, moving back and forth across the lane while reestablishing position. The wider pro lane and the WNBA's defensive 3-second rule may help her. I know Swords isn't an inspiring comparison, but Carolyn made herself a useful player and had a decent WNBA career. If Lee is somewhat better, that's still a player worth drafting in the 1st Round. Look at all the 1st Round picks who have failed to have even a mediocre career.

PostPosted: 01/23/22 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sheldon had 32 pts for Ohio St today.
I remember she had a very good freshman year and then forgot her, because… Ohio St.
With a birthday of 8/24/2000, I’m adding her to the prominent early entry candidates.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/23/22 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Sheldon had 32 pts for Ohio St today.
I remember she had a very good freshman year and then forgot her, because… Ohio St.
With a birthday of 8/24/2000, I’m adding her to the prominent early entry candidates.

I like her game more so than Ashley Jones …

PostPosted: 01/23/22 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantasy theory Lee declares early Tina Charles leaves DC for Dallas Thibault Takes Lee at #1 causing a domino affect and we for sure get Austin at 4 and Bell at 6 Cool Cool Cool DFDubz that was for you btw ❤️

PostPosted: 01/23/22 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I watched most of the second half. Credit Lee for successfully exploiting the opportunity presented to her. She abused a small lineup. Oklahoma starts a 6-2 center surrounded by 4 players under 6-0. KU simply tossed lob passes up to Lee, and Oklahoma had no answer. That's not something to count on at the pro level.

I view Lee as a more active Carolyn Swords. WNBA fans don't think of Swords as a scorer, but she averaged 17.5 ppg in her senior year and 15.3 for her career. Notably, Carolyn is only one of two women to lead the nation in field goal percentage 3 years in a row. She finished with the 4th highest career field goal percentage in NCAAW history. However, Swords only averaged 9.5 shots per game over her career. Including today, Lee is averaging 13.1. Ayoka also takes 5.1 free throw attempts per game compared to Swords's 3.5. She works hard to get herself free, moving back and forth across the lane while reestablishing position. The wider pro lane and the WNBA's defensive 3-second rule may help her. I know Swords isn't an inspiring comparison, but Carolyn made herself a useful player and had a decent WNBA career. If Lee is somewhat better, that's still a player worth drafting in the 1st Round. Look at all the 1st Round picks who have failed to have even a mediocre career.

Brittney Griner played in the same conference against these same teams and never scored 61. It’s something to marvel at. When coaches say dominate this is what they mean !

PostPosted: 01/23/22 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Brittney Griner played in the same conference against these same teams and never scored 61. It’s something to marvel at. When coaches say dominate this is what they mean !

Griner also caused every team to begin recruiting players big enough to stop her before she even stepped on campus. Current Big 12 is very guard centric. Noone is recruiting specifically to stop Lee. That said, she still deserves credit even if she was playing a team of oompa loompas.

PostPosted: 01/23/22 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Griner also caused every team to begin recruiting players big enough to stop her before she even stepped on campus. Current Big 12 is very guard centric. Noone is recruiting specifically to stop Lee. That said, she still deserves credit even if she was playing a team of oompa loompas.

Lee is a junior Oklahoma has had 3 years to recruit a defender to stop her but your right either way she deserves credit . 20-31 from the field 61 pts all two point shots and free throws.

PostPosted: 01/23/22 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The former D-I women's record of 60 points was held by Long Beach State post player Cindy Brown (set in 1987) and Minnesota guard Rachel Banham (2016)...

Lee is eligible for the WNBA draft a junior, as she redshirted a season because of an injury and turns 22 this calendar year. The most recent update, according to a Kansas State spokesman, is that at this point, Lee is still planning to come back for her senior season and complete her graduate degree. She still has the opportunity to change her mind and declare for the draft, though.
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33133189/kanas-state-center-ayoka-lee-sets-ncaa-women-basketball-record-61-point-game-win-no-14-oklahoma

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/23/22 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas , Indiana , Washington and Minnesota were all at Rupp to Watch Rhyne & Shakira today. Wonder where the hell was Renee and Atlanta? Maybe Waco? Bibb represented us while Thibault was the only head coach to attend and watch which makes sense with the #1 pick.

PostPosted: 01/23/22 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure Renee was somewhere, probably in the vicinity of a camera.

PostPosted: 01/23/22 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I won't be surprised if Austin goes #1...she's like that and Thibult goes his own way. But, come to Dallas. It will be an interesting draft

PostPosted: 01/23/22 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Austin looked pretty good today.

Milks26

PostPosted: 01/23/22 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SC vs uconn cancelled.

Austin from Ole Miss gets to shine for the GMs again on Thursday

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33135366/uconn-huskies-south-carolina-gamecocks-cancel-women-basketball-showdown

PostPosted: 01/24/22 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Fantasy theory Lee declares early Tina Charles leaves DC for Dallas Thibault Takes Lee at #1 causing a domino affect and we for sure get Austin at 4 and Bell at 6 Cool Cool Cool DFDubz that was for you btw ❤️

I like it....I like iiiiitttt🤓🤓🤓🤓

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 01/24/22 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Dallas , Indiana , Washington and Minnesota were all at Rupp to Watch Rhyne & Shakira today. Wonder where the hell was Renee and Atlanta? Maybe Waco? Bibb represented us while Thibault was the only head coach to attend and watch which makes sense with the #1 pick.

I'm shocked to hear you say that Bibb was in attendence because all he seems to care about on his Twitter account is Panther City....like wtf!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 19 of 40

Jump to: