Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/19/22 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
After thinking about it some more-

If you're the Storm and you want to win the championship this year- Sue Bird's final year-you need to go Superteam and try to get Tina Charles. Mainly because some good team is going to get her, and that team will then be a Superteam.

Do you really want to have to play against her on an Aces, Sun, Sky, Lynx, etc? (Don't @me, I don't know everybody's cap situation except to leave Phoenix off this list.)

It makes so much sense for the Storm. If Stewie gets hurt, you still have Tina, and vice versa.

It would be great if you can still keep Russell. I love Russell, she's a nice player, but she's not Tina Charles.

Keep Canada for when Bird gets hurt and /or sits out a big chunk of the schedule to rest for the playoffs. Canada with Loyd/Stewie/Charles and whatever 3 is still great.

Magbegor, Talbot, and KLS are still good pieces, and Burke should probably play more too.

I also don't know all the cap space issues but wasn't there concern that Seattle could afford Bird, Jewell and Stewie at max? How do they then afford Charles anywhere in a competitive salary range?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/19/22 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even if Bird, Loyd and Stewart all signed for the supermax, Seattle would still have 300k left for 3 or 4 roster spots. Becomes around 236k for 2 or 3 if we assume they're keeping their first-round pick. Then goes back up to 351k for 3 or 4 if they were to cut Epiphanny Prince's unguaranteed deal. So there's a bunch of money there to do other stuff.

Without wishing to sound like a broken record, all these numbers are available, as ever, at Her Hoop Stats: https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap-sheet/wnba/team/2021/seattle-storm-11eaecc7-3572-876c-b611-2362f5011b0b/

PostPosted: 01/19/22 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Without wishing to sound like a broken record, all these numbers are available, as ever, at Her Hoop Stats: https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap-sheet/wnba/team/2021/seattle-storm-11eaecc7-3572-876c-b611-2362f5011b0b/

Good news: Other websites covering the WNBA are using your numbers and giving credit to HerHoopsStats.

Bad news: Despite the fact that you lay the numbers out clearly, people are still confused. As a Liberty fan, I've seen at least three articles where the writer said New York has very little cap space to work with.

PostPosted: 01/19/22 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I love the way it makes coverage that just wasn't done before possible, but there's only so much we can do in explaining the finer details. We try to make it as clear as possible for people who want to understand - all the terms are explained at the bottom, and there's the CBA FAQ for people who want to go a little deeper - but mistakes are still going to be made.

The concept of a trade machine/roster-builder where you could actually plug people in or move them around yourself is something we've thrown around, but that won't be appearing any time soon unfortunately. Programming all this stuff isn't easy (I assume, anyway - that part I leave up to other people).

PostPosted: 01/21/22 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm announce 2022 coaching staff

https://storm.wnba.com/news/storm-head-coach-noelle-quinn-announces-2022-coaching-staff/

Quote:
Seattle Storm Head Coach Noelle Quinn announced the additions of Pokey Chatman and Ebony Hoffman to her coaching staff for the 2022 season

PostPosted: 01/21/22 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pokey Chatman, the coach who drafted and developed Courtney Vandersloot...

PostPosted: 01/21/22 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://storm.wnba.com/news/storm-head-coach-noelle-quinn-announces-2022-coaching-staff/

Quote:
Seattle Storm Head Coach Noelle Quinn announced the additions of Pokey Chatman and Ebony Hoffman to her coaching staff for the 2022 season

This makes me feel so old. I remember when Quinn was a rookie. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/21/22 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Ebony Hoffman? I didn't realize she was coaching. That's cool.

Also, that means Atlanta has a staff of all Black women. Love seeing that. Is it a first in the league?

Shades

PostPosted: 01/21/22 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

She’s also the first one who believed in Quigley.

I’m struggling to find a prior connection between Chatman and Quinn. It doesn’t appear that Quinn has ever played under Chatman (as a basketball player anyway).

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 01/21/22 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I’m struggling to find a prior connection between Chatman and Quinn. It doesn’t appear that Quinn has ever played under Chatman (as a basketball player anyway).

I think Quinn played for Spartak Moscow when Chatman was there but i could be wrong

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Mixolydian

PostPosted: 01/21/22 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Klop retired? Seems like they'd mention that if so, he's been huge for the team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/21/22 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Stewie pulls the old Okie Doke on Seattle i dont know how i could ever look at her the same Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Its clear she will be going back home to NYC eventually though .

PostPosted: 01/21/22 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
MuneravenMN wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Also, that means Atlanta has a staff of all Black women. Love seeing that. Is it a first in the league?

I don't think Atlanta's assistant coaches have been decided yet. There may not be any holdovers.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/21/22 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
MuneravenMN wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I don't think Atlanta's assistant coaches have been decided yet. There may not be any holdovers.

I don't know why I said Atlanta. Blerg.

I meant Seattle. I also should have opened the article, because their is one other coach that I hadn't realized.

Disregard. I'm a mess today.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/22 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

If we ever get a staff of all black women, it will be a first

PostPosted: 01/21/22 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mixolydian wrote:
I wonder if Klop retired? Seems like they'd mention that if so, he's been huge for the team.

Looking at the website, only the three coaches listed in the press release are listed as coaches on the website, so it seems the Klop might be gone. Not sure what the reason would be as there has been no communication about him leaving.

#NATC

PostPosted: 01/21/22 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01/21/22 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ha. Clearly they read this board and realized they forgot to announce their departures.

Also. Hey coach Webb. Wink

craigmont

PostPosted: 01/21/22 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another tweet has come out quoting "sources" that we're signing Briann January.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about all of this.

Milks26

PostPosted: 01/21/22 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I smiled from ear to ear when I saw that Pokey got hired. So happy for her

PostPosted: 01/21/22 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Ha. Clearly they read this board and realized they forgot to announce their departures.

Also. Hey coach Webb. Wink

The thankyous to Klopp and Webb were out in the minutes after they announced the new hires. They didn't need any kind of push. The Storm aren't that sloppy.

PostPosted: 01/21/22 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:

half of the Internet: "Go get Vandersloot, we need a point guard to replace Sue after she retires and Sloot's from Seattle!"

Storm FO: "So sign a point guard younger than Bird who's originally from the state of Washington, got it."

(now with spelling variations)
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 01/21/22 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

And she's the only one who seemed to know what to do with Imani Boyette (her name at the time) when she finally started playing her. Her rookie season was her best. Stocks didn't know what she was doing and I think that messed with her confidence.

I truly wish Pokey well. I ran into her on the street some years ago when she was walking her dog. Nice woman!

PostPosted: 01/21/22 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
craigmont wrote:

half of the Internet: "Go get Vandersloot, we need a point guard to replace Sue after she retires and Sloot's from Seattle!"

Storm FO: "So sign a point guard younger than Bird who's originally from the state of Washington, got it."

Yeah, nothing against January, she's a good player. It's just that with the Stewie to NY meeting and this, it feels like a lot of changes are coming and the Beatles are about to break up. I hope I'm wrong.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/21/22 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Queenie wrote:
craigmont wrote:

Yeah, nothing against January, she's a good player. It's just that with the Stewie to NY meeting and this, it feels like a lot of changes are coming and the Beatles are about to break up. I hope I'm wrong.

The fracture of Seattle's championship squad began when they lost their three best defensive players in free agency last year.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: