RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfers/Injuries/Sit-Outs/Redshirts 2021-22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/14/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Wonder if Vandy is one of McLean's possible destinations, whether there would be mutual interest.

Was that one of her original picks? Otherwise, that seems random.

Also, while I'm fully aware of the difference between spatial knowledge and textbook knowledge, and have known players who were honor roll students off the court but dumber than half a box of rocks on it, if remembering plays is her problem, a high-level academic school might not be my first guess as a destination for her.

(now with spelling variations)
SPD

PostPosted: 12/14/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"UConn sophomore guard Paige Bueckers underwent surgery on Monday afternoon to repair an anterior tibial plateau fracture and lateral meniscus tear in her left knee. The timetable for her return is estimated to be eight weeks from Monday, which would make her available in early February."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32867359/uconn-women-basketball-guard-paige-bueckers-undergoes-surgery-expected-miss-eight-weeks

Howee

PostPosted: 12/14/21 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
Wonder if Vandy is one of McLean's possible destinations, whether there would be mutual interest.

....orrr....might she have been recruited by Shea Ralph a year or three ago?

PostPosted: 12/14/21 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

Also, while I'm fully aware of the difference between spatial knowledge and textbook knowledge, and have known players who were honor roll students off the court but dumber than half a box of rocks on it, if remembering plays is her problem, a high-level academic school might not be my first guess as a destination for her.

Shea Ralph connection regarding Vandy.

From everything I've read, McLean is an outstanding student so I think she'd do just fine at a high academic school. Geno mentioned that she was "extremely smart."

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/14/21 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Queenie wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

Shea Ralph connection regarding Vandy.

From everything I've read, McLean is an outstanding student so I think she'd do just fine at a high academic school. Geno mentioned that she was "extremely smart."

That all makes a lot of sense and I retract my statement.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/14/21 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raoul wrote:
Avery VanSickle (5-10 FR point guard, Castle Rock, CO) has entered her name into the portal, out of Washington WBB; she was ranked in the top 100 in the 2021 recruiting class

She was probably the only true PG on the roster – on a team where lack of PG play is our most obvious deficiency, no less – and yet she was dead-last in the rotation and was the only player not to appear in a game. (Som'o'y'all know I'd have a lot to say about all this if I let myself rant on & on about it.)

We have not had a stable PG situation since Plum was on the roster. The few PGs we've successfully recruited over the years – Kierra Collier now at DePaul, Rita Pleskevich now at Florida Atlantic, Tameiya Sadler now at Colorado, Grace Beasley now nowhere – have all transferred out after 1 year or less in the program. Much of that can be attributed to the previous god awful coaching staff and/or the subsequent change in leadership, but it's still something this current staff is going to have to prioritize moving forward. Help should be on the way next year given our recruiting class, but let's just see if they'll get any more playing time than this year's class has gotten – which is, of course, none. 😭

That even competent/average PG play is incredibly crucial seems to be a theme for this year in wcbb.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/15/21 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alabama and Georgia tech swap players.

Loyal McQueen was a SO starter for the Wreck who went Into the portal about a month ago and yesterday committed to Bama.

Today, Kayla Blackshear, a FR forward left the Tide to join Nell in Hotlanta.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/16/21 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

It could also be a difference in coaching styles. A coach who yells at you during practice play vs. a coach who pulls you aside and talks to you after a play, work on learning styles differently.

PostPosted: 12/16/21 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Rumor has it she [Mir McLean] had a hard time remembering plays which kept her from seeing the court

I'd be interested in the source of that rumor because it doesn't sound convincing to me. By my observation, UConn's offense this year looks relatively bad from several points of view, and that badness extends to several of the rotation players, some of whom seem to have dubious BB IQ's.

Besides, UConn's offense has never been a memorization extravaganza of lots of set plays; it's a read and react motion offense. This year, seemingly, there's not nearly as much reading, reacting or motion as in previous years.

Simply put, McLean does not have the handling skills to be a guard, nor the outside shot to be a guard, wing or even small forward. She's a 5-11 power forward, whose virtues are good leaping ability for her height and getting putbacks. But that means she has to compete for the 4 position against 6-5 ONO, 6-5 Juhasz, 6-3 Edwards, 6-0 Westbrook, 6-5 DeBerry and, when healthy, 6-1 Griffin.

She doesn't get minutes in anything resembling competitive game time because there are so many bigger and more skilled players at the 4 position ahead of her.

And two more highly ranked 4's coming in next season.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/18/21 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Meanwhile, Mulkey said forward Hannah Gusters was suspended indefinitely “until I decide when she will come back.”

“We miss her, but we’re still pretty good without her," Mulkey said. "That gives opportunities for other people to play.”

Gusters has not dressed out since last Sunday’s game against Texas Southern.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_0499e862-6046-11ec-ace3-b7da211fde00.html

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/19/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Rumor has it she [Mir McLean] had a hard time remembering plays which kept her from seeing the court

I'd be interested in the source of that rumor because it doesn't sound convincing to me. By my observation, UConn's offense this year looks relatively bad from several points of view, and that badness extends to several of the rotation players, some of whom seem to have dubious BB IQ's.

Sounds a little like Boneyard grumblings to me, but what would I know? (Ducks head in anticipation of incoming from linkster and other hardcore UConn fans)

PostPosted: 12/22/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Shane Mettlen of the Daily News-Record in Harrisonburg:
College of Charleston transfer guard Amira Williams is enrolling at JMU. She averaged 7.2 points and 5.6 rebounds last season as a freshman, but only played in one game this season. Still to be determined if she'll be able to play for the Dukes this season.

PostPosted: 12/22/21 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquesha Davis from Arkansas to Ole Miss, per Raoul. Will sit out the spring and play for Ole Miss in the fall.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/27/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former UConn player Mir McLean commits to Virginia (per womwenshoopsworld @hoopism.com)

Well, at least she'll get a good education. For coaching + education, she'd have done better to pick William & Mary.

PostPosted: 12/27/21 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing her play. She's a dynamic defensive player and a great rebounder. Things happen when she's in the game, mostly good. But very entertaining. I read a few rumors about why she is leaving but what difference does it make. Unlike the fans of another program have done I'm not going to put her in the pillory like a jilted lover.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/28/21 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not putting Mir in the pillory at all, just remarking that she picked a program with a godawful coach at this time. I've seen UVA play and I can attest to that fact. I do know that she can get an excellent education there. Perhaps UVA will see the error of their ways, fire Tina, and hire themselves a decent coach next season or sooner. Unless their AD, like some others, gives not a flying Wallenda about WBB.

PostPosted: 12/30/21 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Down at the bottom of this attached article, you will find that JMU has acquired a transfer from MTSU via Russia, hopefully, anyway...6'4 F Kseniia Kozlova, a sophomore from Moscow. That will be a first for the Dukes!
https://www.dnronline.com/sports/college/jmu-women-add-georgia-point-guard/article_81caed90-1e20-5b7c-94ae-b7142e61478e.html

PostPosted: 01/05/22 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have a citation, but apparently JMU Coach O'Regan said in his press conference that they are working on a medical redshirt for last year's CAA FOY Peyton McDaniel because of her lingering injury. This would preserve her eligibility for next year.

PostPosted: 01/05/22 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Faith Masonius of Maryland went down late in the 4Q of the Indiana game. Turns out she tore her ACL. Crying or Very sad https://www.testudotimes.com/2022/1/5/22869143/faith-masonius-tears-acl-ruled-out-for-remainder-of-season-for-maryland-womens-basketball-big-ten

PostPosted: 01/05/22 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Faith Masonius of Maryland went down late in the 4Q of the Indiana game. Turns out she tore her ACL. Crying or Very sad https://www.testudotimes.com/2022/1/5/22869143/faith-masonius-tears-acl-ruled-out-for-remainder-of-season-for-maryland-womens-basketball-big-ten

Crying or Very sad but it was pretty obvious when it happened. It would have been miraculous to be anything less.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/06/22 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Crying or Very sad but it was pretty obvious when it happened. It would have been miraculous to be anything less.

Yeah, I saw it happen and said, "Uh oh, ACL for sure." Just the awkward way she went down with nobody around her. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 01/11/22 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lavender Briggs is both out for the season with an injury and was just added to the transfer portal. So her career as a Gator is over.

Alyza Winston wound up at Mississippi State. Interesting choice.

PostPosted: 01/12/22 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn just announced that Aubrey Griffin is out for the year after having back surgery.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/16/22 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Autumn Newby (LSU) is out with a torn plantaris from the Missouri game. It won't require surgery and she'll return "when the pain resolves." She was initially suspected to have a torn Achilles, so this is all good news.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 01/24/22 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rickea Jackson from MS State has entered the portal.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 8 of 34

Jump to: