Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
female-buckets

PostPosted: 01/01/22 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
female-buckets wrote:
Does it have to be musical chairs? There's gotta be a better name for Phoenix than Laimbeer.

Likely, yes. I don't think Bill is on the market as he is staying on with Vegas in an advisory role. I was mostly suggesting Bill for the theatrics of it all, not in seriousness.

It seems very likely at this point that Phoenix get Latricia Trammell from LA.

Still, gotta admit there is a lot of intrigue on what Bill could bring to a Taurasi/Griner team. They'd be supervillains and it could be thrilling to watch.

You're right, it would be fun to watch. I could see DT very frustrated by Phoenix swapping Sandy for Bill. I'm of course wildly curious about her take on the Sandy thing. Is she pissed? Is she okay with the change? In the past, Phoenix has basically let her pick head coaches. Is she picking this time around?

mercfan

PostPosted: 01/03/22 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

female-buckets wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
female-buckets wrote:
Does it have to be musical chairs? There's gotta be a better name for Phoenix than Laimbeer.

Likely, yes. I don't think Bill is on the market as he is staying on with Vegas in an advisory role. I was mostly suggesting Bill for the theatrics of it all, not in seriousness.

Still, gotta admit there is a lot of intrigue on what Bill could bring to a Taurasi/Griner team. They'd be supervillains and it could be thrilling to watch.

You're right, it would be fun to watch. I could see DT very frustrated by Phoenix swapping Sandy for Bill. I'm of course wildly curious about her take on the Sandy thing. Is she pissed? Is she okay with the change? In the past, Phoenix has basically let her pick head coaches. Is she picking this time around?

I think if Diana fought for Sandy to remain coaching in Phoenix, Sandy would be coaching in Phoenix.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/03/22 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
female-buckets wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
female-buckets wrote:

I think people take Diana's allegiance to Sandy far too literally.
I think people have taken Diana's allegiance for Sandy WAY too literally.

I think if Diana fought for Sandy to remain coaching in Phoenix, Sandy would be coaching in Phoenix.

mercfan

PostPosted: 01/06/22 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A month with no announcement seems like an unusually long period of time. I have so much belief in this league but then I don't see any coverage of the Mercury opening. You'd think this would be a story reporters would be interested in.

I understand that we aren't the LA or NY market but damn it's discouraging to seem like a media afterthought.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/07/22 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
A month with no announcement seems like an unusually long period of time. I have so much belief in this league but then I don't see any coverage of the Mercury opening. You'd think this would be a story reporters would be interested in.

I understand that we aren't the LA or NY market but damn it's discouraging to seem like a media afterthought.

Especially with free agency starting. You'd think you would want a coach in place for that.

I'm curious now if it was more of Sandy's decision than the Phoenix front office? Seems like PHX isn't prepared for a coaching search. Surely by now they've interviewed Trammell as well as their own assistant coach. Like, who else are you getting or holding out for at this point?

Shades

PostPosted: 01/07/22 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Especially with free agency starting. You'd think you would want a coach in place for that.

You would think so but it’s not like a new coach would have much say in anything when you have a longtime GM in place.

The first thing the Lynx GM did after Reeve was hired was to trade the #1 pick for Whalen in the Tina Charles draft. There wasn’t anything Reeve could say if she was not liking the move. She was just happy to have a head coaching job. The GM had been targeting Whalen since 2004 and here was his best opportunity to get her.

johnjohnW wrote:
I'm curious now if it was more of Sandy's decision than the Phoenix front office?

I thought she made it pretty clear that the “mutual decision” that the Phoenix organization stated in their statement wasn’t so mutual. Awkward moment for the organization.

johnjohnW wrote:
Seems like PHX isn't prepared for a coaching search. Surely by now they've interviewed Trammell as well as their own assistant coach. Like, who else are you getting or holding out for at this point?

You forgot to mention the Pokey rumor. She’s gotta be better than somebody that just brought the team to the Finals, right? Of course, Pokey went to the Finals too. But it was an easier path to the Finals back then since they went by conferences, and it was an especially weak year for the East.

Trammell is heavily defensive minded. I’m sure Taurasi would embrace that.

If Hairston doesn’t jump at the opportunity to head coach now with this opening on her own team, will she ever?

Has Penny Taylor been totally ruled out?

Who would be the best choice between Hairston, Trammell, and Pokey? Maybe that’s why it’s taking so long.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/07/22 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Stephanie White is interested in coming back to the W now that she's out of the Vanderbilt job.

This move is looking increasingly foolish. It doesn't seem like they had a person in mind prior to the decision to let Sandy go, so why do it? I blame SCook. Lol.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/07/22 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

You would think so but it’s not like a new coach would have much say in anything when you have a longtime GM in place.

The first thing the Lynx GM did after Reeve was hired was to trade the #1 pick for Whalen in the Tina Charles draft. There wasn’t anything Reeve could say if she was not liking the move. She was just happy to have a head coaching job. The GM had been targeting Whalen since 2004 and here was his best opportunity to get her.

johnjohnW wrote:
I'm curious now if it was more of Sandy's decision than the Phoenix front office?

I thought she made it pretty clear that the “mutual decision” that the Phoenix organization stated in their statement wasn’t so mutual. Awkward moment for the organization.

johnjohnW wrote:
Seems like PHX isn't prepared for a coaching search. Surely by now they've interviewed Trammell as well as their own assistant coach. Like, who else are you getting or holding out for at this point?

You forgot to mention the Pokey rumor. She’s gotta be better than somebody that just brought the team to the Finals, right? Of course, Pokey went to the Finals too. But it was an easier path to the Finals back then since they went by conferences, and it was an especially weak year for the East.

Trammell is heavily defensive minded. I’m sure Taurasi would embrace that.

If Hairston doesn’t jump at the opportunity to head coach now with this opening on her own team, will she ever?

Has Penny Taylor been totally ruled out?

Who would be the best choice between Hairston, Trammell, and Pokey? Maybe that’s why it’s taking so long.

You're right. I forgot about the comments Brondello made after the announcement. Just seems bonkers that Phoenix made this move without much of a plan on place.

I don't see the point in letting go of Sandy unless you're getting an upgrade. Pokey would be a significant downgrade. Would Hairston really be better or even much different than Sandy? That's a gamble. Trammell feels like the candidate with the least amount of downsides to her.

I wonder if they interviewed Hopkins.

mercfan

PostPosted: 01/07/22 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I wonder if Stephanie White is interested in coming back to the W now that she's out of the Vanderbilt job.

This move is looking increasingly foolish. It doesn't seem like they had a person in mind prior to the decision to let Sandy go, so why do it? I blame SCook. Lol.

If Pokey ends up being the hire, this statement is true. No way someone said "let's let Sandy go so we can hire Chatman"

For anyone who follows the sport, Salima Rockwell was just named the Notre Dame head women's volleyball coach. For most people this came completely out of left field but is an absolute homerun hire. She was a three-time all-American at Penn State and coached the Nittany Lions to 4 national championships as an associate. Penn State opened up with the retirement of Russ Rose and she still ended up at Notre Dame.

The reason I bring this up is because I want to have faith that there is still a name out there that nobody is thinking and when announced brings a lot of excitement.

I can't say that any of the current "candidates" would do that for me.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/07/22 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Not exactly a glowing part of the resume. If she wants to come back to the WNBA, she might as well wait until Stanley finally gets kicked to the curb. I think she’d have a little more comfort and job security at Indiana. In the meantime, she can do color on a ton of college games.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/07/22 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Not exactly a glowing part of the resume. If she wants to come back to the WNBA, she might as well wait until Stanley finally gets kicked to the curb. I think she’d have a little more comfort and job security at Indiana. In the meantime, she can do color on a ton of college games.

As a coach, White is a great TV commentator.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/07/22 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm assuming that "Hairston" is some clever nickname for Julie Hairgrove that I have missed the memo about?

PostPosted: 01/08/22 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I'm assuming that "Hairston" is some clever nickname for Julie Hairgrove that I have missed the memo about?

Haha. Mostly just my ignorance with the names and spellings of some names. My bad.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/08/22 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

As a coach, White is a great TV commentator.

Agree, White needs to stick to broadcasting, because her future is bright there. She is very good at it.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/08/22 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Jeff Metcalf at AZCentral mentioned on Twitter that Theresa Weatherspoon and Natalie Nakase (who apparently is an assistant with the G League Clippers).

What a wild ride if they get Tspoon. Could you imagine being NY and not landing Hammon or TSpoon?

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/09/22 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who's the best head coaching candidate that can manage egos? Getting the most of out the star players shouldn't be an issue, they are competitive and self-motivated. My question is who can the Mercury hire to get them all to buy-in?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/09/22 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
According to Jeff Metcalf at AZCentral mentioned on Twitter that Theresa Weatherspoon and Natalie Nakase (who apparently is an assistant with the G League Clippers).

What a wild ride if they get Tspoon. Could you imagine being NY and not landing Hammon or TSpoon?

Really hoping for TSpoon right now.

PostPosted: 01/09/22 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Kolb did cite experience as a head coach was important this go round, and in this case he got experience combined with someone who just coached in the Finals, so maybe Spoon was a spurned NYL candidate. Hammon has closer ties to the Vegas franchise and no experience as a head coach.

UK1996

PostPosted: 01/10/22 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix’s owner should just whip out the cash to lure Geno, he can handle egos. I also have some moves to make for DT’s last hurrah.
Resign Cunningham
SDS, Griner, and a 1rp for Bird, Stewie, & KLS
Tina Charlie is probably desperate for a ship, offer the minimum
Turner for Gabby Williams
Offer the Max to Dolson, he always liked her
Cunningham for Hayes
Dallas would probably pay for MoJeff’s moving expenses
Come up with a package of picks for Dangerfield and the rights to Maya
Reeve’s phone goes straight to voicemail
Call up KML, give her whatever she wants
Give Stokes the rest
Sign Napheesa Collier up for Lamaze classes in Phoenix
Ban Tennessee Orange and Irish green from Talking Stick Arena

Sorry Azure UConn wasn’t your first choice and you helped CP3 win a ship you’re out.

Bird/MoJeff
Taurasi/HartleyHayes
KML/KLS
Stewie/Charles
Williams (Just like old times)/Stokes/Dolson
Guaranteed ship

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/10/22 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

mercfan

PostPosted: 01/11/22 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephanie White has entered the chat.

Other three candidates being TSpoon, Natalie Nakase and Vanessa Nygard

My personal list in order

1. White
2. Nakase

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/11/22 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how long it will take for a Phoenix fan to call the new Phoenix coach TRASH 🗑️🤣.

PostPosted: 01/11/22 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surely Cunningham is headed to New York. Brondello must have gotten wind of the team prepping for a coaching change and that's why she didn't extend Sophie.

PostPosted: 01/11/22 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Surely Cunningham is headed to New York. Brondello must have gotten wind of the team prepping for a coaching change and that's why she didn't extend Sophie.

They’ve been prepping for a year and still haven’t decided on a coach? Seems like a stretch.

I think Cunningham wasn’t extended because she was viewed as expendable based on 2020 performance and also their tight budget. Might have to check the timeline. The Nurse and Walker additions may have been in the works before deciding on Cunningham, and they all play pretty much the same position.

Also, it’s ultimately Pitman’s decision whether or not to extend her. He controls the budget.

She could still end up with the Liberty, but it seems like an odd choice considering how many wings they already have. Who would they kick to the curb, Allen?

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/11/22 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Stephanie White has entered the chat.

Other three candidates being TSpoon, Natalie Nakase and Vanessa Nygard

My personal list in order

1. White
2. Nakase

So, I hadn't heard of Nakase before so I checked out her wiki. I'm a little shocked she's even being considered. She never played in the WNBA and has very little coaching experience from what I can tell. Seems very driven but what makes her a qualified candidate? G League experience?

I'm not surprised White's name joined the mix. Not convinced she's an upgrade from Brondello either. Her run to the finals after the retirement of Lin Dun feels like a fluke. Would love to see her get another chance but I don't have a lot of confidence in her taking over in the last year or two of Taurasi's career.

I think Witherspoon has my vote. Second could be Nygaard, I suppose. Mostly disappointed the Mercury made this move without a clear hire in mind. Theyade the wrong choice it feels like. I hope I'm proven wrong though.

Are Hargrove and Trammel still in consideration?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 5 of 24

Jump to: