RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Muffet's Comments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamj95

PostPosted: 12/23/21 7:36 pm    ::: Muffet's Comments Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1473697315106050061?s=20

I'm not a fan of her but I don't disagree here. What do ya'll think?

PostPosted: 12/23/21 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn is member of Big East which has FOX deal. Its just a dumb conspiracy theory. Notre Dame is in ACC, and ESPN owns ACC Network. ESPN has financial incentive to push ACC and SEC at expense of Big East.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 12/23/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She sure ain't wrong!

Brinx

PostPosted: 12/24/21 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She’s not entirely wrong, but ND absolutely benefited from that bias too. For a few years ALL we heard about was ND vs. UCONN. It comes off as sour grapes about her having a couple years that her teams couldn’t compete and got lost in the national discussion.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/24/21 5:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing I've learned with ESPN, is they hype up the top programs in each respective sport. That's their mission statement. Because when one talks about ESPN, they are talking about ESPN broadcasts, commentators and "expert" analysts. All of those are about ESPN, and everything else a far second.

I learned this back when Southern Cal was having their little 3-4 year run in college football. Back then it not only was NOT about Alabama, it wasn't even about the SEC. ESPN was ALL OVER Southern Cal's FB program. They called it a "dynasty". They treated Carroll like he was a football coaching GOD.

Then Carroll bolted for the NFL, and before that dust settled came the NCAA with their sanctions. Since then, you'd hardly even know that SoCal exists today, from ESPN.

The SEC started winning national titles, then Alabama rose above the rest, and now ESPN is all about Alabama.

It's the same with the other sports. ESPN hawks the programs that give the best return on their efforts. When those programs fade out and others rise to the top, then ESPN will go hawk them as if they've never done otherwise....

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/24/21 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisville is waiting in the wings. If they stay on their current trajectory, they will be ESPN's new darlings.

PostPosted: 12/26/21 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN actually went from Sabrina Lonescu to Paige Buckers with an everyday article.....Paige still has a way to go to get the love Lonescu got but Boston gets little love outside of the in game commentators.....so yes...UCONN gets more coverage regardless of ESPN's affiliation with the ACC and SEC....

Durantula

PostPosted: 12/26/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
ESPN actually went from Sabrina Lonescu to Paige Buckers with an everyday article.....Paige still has a way to go to get the love Lonescu got but Boston gets little love outside of the in game commentators.....so yes...UCONN gets more coverage regardless of ESPN's affiliation with the ACC and SEC....

ESPN just frontloads their UConn coverage because they only show UConn games that are not conference games which mostly come early in the season. South Carolina has so many more games broadcast on ESPN networks, Dawn has running blog on Undefeated I think people purposefully downplay other teams coverage and overhype UCONNs. Paige got hurt it was big news, they had transfer outs which some other top teams haven't had this season, that stuff is going to be reported. why act like noBODY should be covering this stuff.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/26/21 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:

It pays to be blonde...

PostPosted: 12/26/21 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

It pays to be blonde...

And something else the two of them have in common ...

Gamecock1

PostPosted: 12/26/21 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

ESPN just frontloads their UConn coverage because they only show UConn games that are not conference games which mostly come early in the season. South Carolina has so many more games broadcast on ESPN networks, Dawn has running blog on Undefeated I think people purposefully downplay other teams coverage and overhype UCONNs. Paige got hurt it was big news, they had transfer outs which some other top teams haven't had this season, that stuff is going to be reported. why act like noBODY should be covering this stuff.
They frontload the news ???? Paige was on their page several days in a row....how they will play without her....how long she may be out....her surgery....he timeline.....come on. That's obsession...not general news coverage. If Paige does anything it's reported. I think she is a great player...but she gets massive coverage and so does UCONN. They need to spread it around to the teams and conferences they cover if they want to build a following....;it'sd that simple really. The SEC and ACC matter !

pilight

PostPosted: 12/26/21 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

It pays to be blonde...

And something else the two of them have in common ...

Well, yeah, ESPN does tend to favor guards in their coverage Laughing

PostPosted: 12/26/21 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

They frontload the news ???? Paige was on their page several days in a row....how they will play without her....how long she may be out....her surgery....he timeline.....come on. That's obsession...not general news coverage. If Paige does anything it's reported. I think she is a great player...but she gets massive coverage and so does UCONN. They need to spread it around to the teams and conferences they cover if they want to build a following....;it'sd that simple really. The SEC and ACC matter !

ESPN owns the ACC and SEC networks. If you think they are not being covered you just have a bias towards those teams. They are covered more than the other big leagues. When I say frontload the news I believe ESPN won't be talking about UCONN on tv as much as they do in the non conference when they have many more games on ESPN with the only exception being when they play South Carolina because ESPN doesn't have the rights to UCONNs big east games. They care about the games they have the media rights to, the ACC and SEC. UCONN is very popular and ESPN wants to get attention from them while they broadcast their games in Nov-Dec-Jan because Feb-March it will be on FOX

Davis4632

PostPosted: 12/26/21 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

ESPN owns the ACC and SEC networks. If you think they are not being covered you just have a bias towards those teams. They are covered more than the other big leagues. When I say frontload the news I believe ESPN won't be talking about UCONN on tv as much as they do in the non conference when they have many more games on ESPN with the only exception being when they play South Carolina because ESPN doesn't have the rights to UCONNs big east games. They care about the games they have the media rights to, the ACC and SEC. UCONN is very popular and ESPN wants to get attention from them while they broadcast their games in Nov-Dec-Jan because Feb-March it will be on FOX

How much do you want to bet that ESPN will still play attention to UConn in Feb-March?

Durantula

PostPosted: 12/26/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not saying they won't pay attention to them but it won't be promoting their league games and hyping them up as much. They will promote the games they have the rights to.

Its just like the NHL situation which was invisible when they didn't have a deal with ESPN and now you see them on Sportscenter a lot more.

Some of this is just not realistic because UCONN is legendary program, a lot of history, draws viewers and people want equal coverage with Missouri. Does anyone complain that Rutgers football is ignored by ESPN while Alabama is always discussed? There is no equal media coverage in any sport

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/26/21 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The comment about UConn recruits getting bumps in the HoopGurlz rankings is legit. It's been pretty noticable for the last 10 years or so. Just in the last 2 years, McLean, Poffenbarger, Ducharme and I believe Edwards all had significant jumps (10+ spots) after committing. Ducharme was ranked well outside the top 50 at one point (I think in the 70s or 80s?) and finished 5th.

PostPosted: 12/27/21 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
The comment about UConn recruits getting bumps in the HoopGurlz rankings is legit. It's been pretty noticable for the last 10 years or so. Just in the last 2 years, McLean, Poffenbarger, Ducharme and I believe Edwards all had significant jumps (10+ spots) after committing. Ducharme was ranked well outside the top 50 at one point (I think in the 70s or 80s?) and finished 5th.

They played in obscure AAU programs and non-travelling HS teams so they didn't get noticed by the raters who get most of their information from major AAU tournaments. Edwards was from Canada and like Kia Nurse wasn't even on lists at all until she played in a big HS tournament in the US. Ducharme played in a NE Prep league. Both Poffenbarger and McClean played in low-level HS conferences.

From what I read around the wcbb message board universe there is a story around that Geno somehow has come to dominate USA basketball, the NCAA, the WNBA with an iron fist, forcing them to favor UConn players. Either you believe that or maybe you recognize that maybe UConn getting more attention has more to do with their play the last dozen years. And the quality of the players.

But then I forget that they are WNBA all-stars only because they went to UConn. Rolling Eyes

Gamecock1

PostPosted: 12/28/21 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

You are confusing game coverage and print coverage. Those are two different things. The SEC and ACC get get way more game coverage but the ESPN print section has been dominated for years with UCONN and for one year everyday there was a Lonescu article. Paige is just the next
white darling in line (so but facts are facts, and yes I am white). My point is that in print UCONN has the edge. Geno gets coverage about what he thinks about his team after each game....lol......The others....not so much. Dawn has a unique position only because she forced the issue by winning ! If facts bother you....well I don't know what to say.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/28/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven’t watched ESPN in years so don’t know about their game coverage of UCONN in past decade but I did watch coverage of UCONN during the 90s into Taurasi years (CPTV covered most BE games and much of the meh non conference games but ESPN would swing in for heavyweight games). Already talking about UCONN dynasty when UCONN had one natty and was 5 and 5 with the Lady Vols. Thought that was a. It much. I remember them hyping UCONN on other games not featuring UCONN. Then Taurasi came in and I felt hype was deserved. The program took off.

Just glancing at ESPN online page there seem to be a lot of interest stories geared toward UCONN. But Geno is a genius for creating interest and angst and that’s what fans like to read about. He’s gotten better at since the drought in Nattys in my opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: