RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why Liz?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/14/21 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I will add to this conversation that OnlyFans (and similar companies) have also been important for gay men using the platforms to get the same control in their work.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/14/21 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

female-buckets wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
female-buckets wrote:

I linked that article because that's the one that provided the most sources and statistics. Here's one that provides less sources, agrees with you about sex work, and still points out how Onlyfans is an exploitative company.

My problem with Liz has nothing to do with purity culture. I don't think nudity and sexuality are inherently negative or harmful.

But I've read about Onlyfans as a company and it's a nasty one. Maybe they don't have sweatshops like Nike, but they use extremely deceptive marketing tactics to recruit people. Obviously someone who makes a lot of money through the site is going to promote it. They're at the top of the pyramid scheme. The site pays them to recruit people. But how much have you read about the people at the bottom? If you're so passionate about defending Onlyfans, at least read about those who had negative experiences using it.

Liz is endorsing a shady company. She wouldn't be the first W star to promote multi-level marketing on social media. I just don't understand what Onlyfans has done to earn such passionate defenders. In everything I've read, there's nothing to suggest Onlyfans is a bastion of fair business practices.

I'm confused as to what exactly are you trying to say about the platform. Isn't that how all social media is, the more followers you have the more content you are creating that is getting interaction the more money you make. If you don't have a following because of what you charge or you aren't that "sellable" that's not the fault of the Onlyfans that you can't make money from it. The more subscriptions (and depending on the cost per subscription) you sell of course the money you will make.

There are people who brag about people millions on instagram or tiktok and then there are people who can't even break 100 followers on there, I guess I'm not seeing the difference.

In case you skimmed the article, this is the multi-level marketing/pyramid business model Onlyfans is built on:

"There are referral programs that allow a referrer to earn up to $50,000 for a referral (if the creator they referred earns $1 million). According to OnlyFans, referring a creator earns you 5% of that creator's earnings for the first year only. Referrals started prior to May 1, 2020 will have one more year to receive earnings from referrals. This is why you’ll see TikToks and girls in videos brag about the house they bought and include their link in bio to get referrals."

If Liz posts her referral link, that's an ethical problem.

It's not appropriate for a WNBA athlete to make a profit by recruiting her followers to sell explicit content.

It doesn't matter how much she makes through her referral link. It's unethical. The WNBA promotes her and provides her with a fanbase. WNBA athletes can use those fanbases to push sponsorships and endorsements. They might get a bonus from the company sponsoring them when fans use their promo codes. But I see a big difference between a promo code and an Onlyfans referral link. In the former, the athlete makes money because WNBA fans are buying mineral water. In the latter, the athlete makes money because WNBA fans are selling explicit content of themselves.

I also thought it was questionable when I saw a WNBA athlete recruiting her followers into an essential oil pyramid scheme. But the fans getting roped into selling essential oils? They're not going to have the same negative mental health impacts as the fans getting roped into Onlyfans.

Until you brought up the referral program I had never heard of it, the only time I have seen Onlyfans being advertised by people is when they are trying to attract people to subscribe to their accounts. So I am curious as to how many people actual use this referral program and comparable how many people that are bragging about making money are using it as opposed to making money off their own subscriptions. Also if she never publishes the referral link and just goes based of selling whatever she decides to see to her subscribers is there still the issue with her using the program and doing her business as she is?

female-buckets

PostPosted: 12/14/21 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
female-buckets wrote:

In case you skimmed the article, this is the multi-level marketing/pyramid business model Onlyfans is built on:

"There are referral programs that allow a referrer to earn up to $50,000 for a referral (if the creator they referred earns $1 million). According to OnlyFans, referring a creator earns you 5% of that creator's earnings for the first year only. Referrals started prior to May 1, 2020 will have one more year to receive earnings from referrals. This is why you’ll see TikToks and girls in videos brag about the house they bought and include their link in bio to get referrals."

If Liz posts her referral link, that's an ethical problem.

It's not appropriate for a WNBA athlete to make a profit by recruiting her followers to sell explicit content.

It doesn't matter how much she makes through her referral link. It's unethical. The WNBA promotes her and provides her with a fanbase. WNBA athletes can use those fanbases to push sponsorships and endorsements. They might get a bonus from the company sponsoring them when fans use their promo codes. But I see a big difference between a promo code and an Onlyfans referral link. In the former, the athlete makes money because WNBA fans are buying mineral water. In the latter, the athlete makes money because WNBA fans are selling explicit content of themselves.

I also thought it was questionable when I saw a WNBA athlete recruiting her followers into an essential oil pyramid scheme. But the fans getting roped into selling essential oils? They're not going to have the same negative mental health impacts as the fans getting roped into Onlyfans.

Until you brought up the referral program I had never heard of it, the only time I have seen Onlyfans being advertised by people is when they are trying to attract people to subscribe to their accounts. So I am curious as to how many people actual use this referral program and comparable how many people that are bragging about making money are using it as opposed to making money off their own subscriptions. Also if she never publishes the referral link and just goes based of selling whatever she decides to see to her subscribers is there still the issue with her using the program and doing her business as she is?

Even if she doesn't advertise a referral link, she's still endorsing Onlyfans as a company. But if I come after Liz for endorsing a shady exploitative company, I've gotta come after everyone for supporting Nike. And I just don't feel like doing that today.

Nike athletes aren't saying "come work in the sweatshop!" That would be a problem. As long as Liz isn't saying "come work on Onlyfans!" she can do whatever she wants. But I don't have to like her or respect her because she's been horrible to players I care about.

She's lucky to have Bill Laimbeer because she's running out of friends in the league.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: