RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/06/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Brondello is gone. https://twitter.com/PhoenixMercury/status/1467994699327672321

PostPosted: 12/06/21 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone and another one gone
Hey I'm gonna get you too

PostPosted: 12/06/21 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad to see her go because I always have liked Sandy as a person, though this is probably a necessary change. I hope the players are able to keep an open mind as they all seemed to love her.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/06/21 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So lots of memes about Brondello going to NY on Twitter.

I kinda regret positing the question in the Liberty thread if there were any good coaches available. Oop.

There's got to be more to this because it seems odd that PHX would dump Sandy. She just got you back to the finals despt a lackluster record.

So I guess I'll ask again...

Are there any good coaches available?

I mean, if they want to go all on on Diana's last run, they should get someone who can pull it all together. We'll see if it was all bad coaching and rotations like a lot of people here have said.

I say call up Cheryl Miller. Laughing

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/06/21 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, I’m surprised.

As much as I have some issues with her, I figured Diana must have liked her. I’m questioning DT’s future a little bit now.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

I kinda regret positing the question in the Liberty thread if there were any good coaches available. Oop.

There's got to be more to this because it seems odd that PHX would dump Sandy. She just got you back to the finals despt a lackluster record.

I mean, if they want to go all on on Diana's last run, they should get someone who can pull it all together. We'll see if it was all bad coaching and rotations like a lot of people here have said.

She did have some questionable rotations but, with this team having all the injuries, I have to give her some credit. The major question is, who will replace her? Will Julie get her chance at being a head coach? Will they have Penny( I think it would be a conflict of interest). What about Fred Williams? He is a players coach and got the screwed over in Dallas.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/06/21 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

She did have some questionable rotations but, with this team having all the injuries, I have to give her some credit. The major question is, who will replace her? Will Julie get her chance at being a head coach? Will they have Penny( I think it would be a conflict of interest). What about Fred Williams? He is a players coach and got the screwed over in Dallas.

I know I’m retired from this portion of the board but this comment needs a correction and no I will not respond afterwards , but this is a straight up lie. Take it how you want but Fred was fired for more than one reason.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I am usually of the mindset that the best candidates are the ones we know very little about or say very little about. Names get thrown around the W too much for too many teams. I'd like to see the Mercury hire the BEST candidate and if I have no idea who it is, even better.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/06/21 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

How exactly did Fred get screwed over in Dallas??? Unfortunately, I was forced to watch him make one bad decision after another each night, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, he was a TERRIBLE head coach and I was thrilled the day was received his walking papers out of town!!! He may be a "players" coach BUT he is NOT a winning/successful coach on any level whatsoever!!! So, if Phoenix wants to hire him to make Skylar happy, they will be the biggest joke in the entire WNBA for doing so!

SCook

PostPosted: 12/06/21 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

How exactly did Fred get screwed over in Dallas??? Unfortunately, I was forced to watch him make one bad decision after another each night, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, he was a TERRIBLE head coach and I was thrilled the day was received his walking papers out of town!!! He may be a "players" coach BUT he is NOT a winning/successful coach on any level whatsoever!!! So, if Phoenix wants to hire him to make Skylar happy, they will be the biggest joke in the entire WNBA for doing so!

Fred Williams is the last person that Phoenix needs to look at for a Head Coach. Absolutely not!

Anyways, If Olaf Lange is looking for a Head Coaching position, I'd like for him to get the job. He knows the players already so Wink

PostPosted: 12/06/21 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will place one hundred percent of the blame for the Mercury not having won their fourth championship on the Taurasi family. She and her wife decided not to play in 2015 when they had THE BEST squad in the WNBA back then.
Sandy took this squad to two WNBA finals and they let walk out the back door? People wonder why good coaches don't want to coach in the W. No job security no matter how well you produce.🙄

PostPosted: 12/06/21 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

To make Skylar happy? Since when has SDS earned to enough cachet on a team with BG and DT on it, that the front office would want to make sure SHE is happy? Laughing

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/07/21 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

To make Skylar happy? Since when has SDS earned to enough cachet on a team with BG and DT on it, that the front office would want to make sure SHE is happy? Laughing

Devil's advocate: how much longer is Taurasi going to play? And is Griner the kind of person who's going to raise a stink until she gets the coach she wants? If I need to worry about one of those three being happy, I'm probably going to be most worried about making Diggins-Smith happy, because she's a longer-term investment than Taurasi and higher-maintenance than Griner.

(Seriously devil's advocate. We all know how much I just love Diggins-Smith. And how much I just looooove Notre Dame.)

PostPosted: 12/07/21 3:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm 99% sure Taurasi is retiring. If I'm wrong, I can live with that. I just think we need to get used to the idea. I know it's the same sport with or without her but... I just hope she surprises us all and starts coaching. I just wanna watch her get technicals, that's all.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/07/21 4:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Her and Fred have a close relationship both on and off the court and if you think for a second that because she just arrived in Phoenix that her opinion doesn't matter when she's one the top three most notable names in the WNBA, well......we will agree to disagree😏

SCook

PostPosted: 12/07/21 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Her and Fred have a close relationship both on and off the court and if you think for a second that because she just arrived in Phoenix that her opinion doesn't matter when she's one the top three most notable names in the WNBA, well......we will agree to disagree😏

I understand what you're saying but No. Notable name with No real Playoff experience until she came to Phoenix. I think she's happy as long as her team can compete for Championships. If she wants one, then she knows Fred is not the answer.

PostPosted: 12/07/21 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I know I’m retired from this portion of the board but this comment needs a correction and no I will not respond afterwards , but this is a straight up lie. Take it how you want but Fred was fired for more than one reason.

I disagree. It was even reported in the media that he and the GM were at odds the last season he was there. It was also reported that there was a physical altercation. Lastly, it was reported that the players really liked Fred because he advocated for them when the GM felt that they should be back on the court playing. Brian Agler who suddenly quit also validates the argument that Dallas' GM has issues. So yes, my opinion is that he was screwed over and should get another opportunity. You may not have liked his rotations or how he coaches but, he had a good relationship with the players which is important at the Pro level believe it or not.

I

SCook

PostPosted: 12/07/21 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I disagree. It was even reported in the media that he and the GM were at odds the last season he was there. It was also reported that there was a physical altercation. Lastly, it was reported that the players really liked Fred because he advocated for them when the GM felt that they should be back on the court playing. Brian Agler who suddenly quit also validates the argument that Dallas' GM has issues. So yes, my opinion is that he was screwed over and should get another opportunity. You may not have liked his rotations or how he coaches but, he had a good relationship with the players which is important at the Pro level believe it or not.

I

I do believe that Dallas's GM is a mess. However, What is Fred William's overall coaching record? I don't remember him being that great at Atlanta either.

PostPosted: 12/07/21 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
I do believe that Dallas's GM is a mess. However, What is Fred William's overall coaching record? I don't remember him being that great at Atlanta either.

Fred Williams is 131-153 for his career. He's been mediocre at three stops, never exceeding 18 wins in a season. He's 5-9 in the playoffs.

PostPosted: 12/07/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I understand what you're saying but No. Notable name with No real Playoff experience until she came to Phoenix. I think she's happy as long as her team can compete for Championships. If she wants one, then she knows Fred is not the answer.

I'm only suggesting that if for some bizzare reason Phoenix decided to hire Fred Williams, I would have no doubt that decision would have been influenced by Skylar Diggins.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/07/21 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the Merc can lure Muffet McGraw out of retirement

PostPosted: 12/07/21 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Maybe the Merc can lure Muffet McGraw out of retirement

Good idea, particularly considering Diggins-Smith. Also would make the Storm-Merc rivalry games that much more intense, assuming Jewell Loyd re-signs with us. Twisted Evil

Milks26

PostPosted: 12/08/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn! I had no idea Sandy was gone.

BTW - Bibb does have issues. Whether it's a power trip or his too involved whatever. Regardless, Fred Williams was not screwed by Dallas. From a fire team in 2018 to barely limping into the playoffs - something was wrong.

The Mercs would be retarded to hire him.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm sure SCook would hate it, but should we take a look at Hopkins?

Randy

PostPosted: 12/08/21 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Hmm. I'm sure SCook would hate it, but should we take a look at Hopkins?

If you like watching Griner shoot 3's you'd get a chance to see that a lot. Unless he trades her for a 6'1" post like Hines-Allen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: