RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/16/21 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing from the team, but half of the players mentioned Durr or reposted her video on Instagram:

Laney yes
Richards yes
Onyenwere yes
Gray no
Ionescu no
Allen no
Howard yes
Willoughby no
Jones yes
Odom no
Shook yes
Whitcomb no

PostPosted: 11/16/21 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Whitcomb commented her support & excitement (Edit: Ionescu and Allen did, too) at the bottom of one of Durr’s IG posts fwiw – even Holly Rowe said, “Let’s f ing gooooooo god is good,” which tbh I can’t say her saying irl & that lowkey amuses me lmfao – but again, nothing coming from the team’s official accounts, which I don’t really understand…

Last edited by Stormeo on 11/16/21 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/16/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've discovered this WONDERFUL news a day late. I was teary watching Asia Durr's video.

My most crucial hope all along was just that Asia Durr get back to good health and STAY in good health. Whether she could play basketball ever again or not. I'm taking this to mean that hopefully she has. I say "hopefully" because my understanding is that with long-term Covid there can sometimes be surprising setbacks. So I will continue to hope that Durr stays in good health for many decades.

There's nothing wrong with speculating about what Durr might be able to contribute to the Liberty in 2022, but in my view there's absolutely no way to know. As has been said by others, it's a long while since Durr has been on the court. And even before Covid we never saw Durr on the court all that much due to injuries.

I'm with others here: it is VERY strange that there's been no announcement--no joyous announcement--from the New York Liberty about Asia Durr being cleared to play. I could speculate, but I won't. I'd rather just stay with what for me is crucial: I am SO happy that Asia Durr seems in good health.

PostPosted: 11/16/21 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was pretty emotional watching the video too. Sometimes singular gestures or expressions say what 1,000 words can’t. You can see the sheer relief along with Durr’s excitement. Some people play a sport or do a job without it necessarily being their primary or singular passion.

Based on interviews, as well as this video, I think it’s safe to say Durr doesn’t just play basketball. She lives for it.

I really hope she returns at her best not just for the Liberty, but also for herself.

PostPosted: 11/16/21 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I was pretty emotional watching the video too. Sometimes singular gestures or expressions say what 1,000 words can’t. You can see the sheer relief along with Durr’s excitement. Some people play a sport or do a job without it necessarily being their primary or singular passion.

Based on interviews, as well as this video, I think it’s safe to say Durr doesn’t just play basketball. She lives for it.

I really hope she returns at her best not just for the Liberty, but also for herself.

"Yes" to all of this.

PostPosted: 11/17/21 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For anyone who may be interested, the New York Liberty has announced that at 7:30 p.m. tonight (Wednesday) Didi Richards and Michaela Onyenwere will take over Instagram LIVE for the YES Network's broadcast of the game at the Barclay Center between the Brooklyn Nets and Cleveland Cavaliers.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty has announced that Betnijah Laney underwent successful left knee arthroscopy at the Hospital for Special Surgery on Wed. 11/17. She is expected to make a full recovery before training camp 2022.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
The Liberty has announced that Betnijah Laney underwent successful left knee arthroscopy at the Hospital for Special Surgery on Wed. 11/17. She is expected to make a full recovery before training camp 2022.

Could explain her decline later in the season.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 12/06/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty and Hopkins part ways

https://twitter.com/nyliberty/status/1467909285720080394?s=21

PostPosted: 12/06/21 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty did improve from Hopkins' first to second year. And only one all-star makes it tougher to have a good team.

lynxmania wrote:
Liberty and Hopkins part ways

https://twitter.com/nyliberty/status/1467909285720080394?s=21

Quote:
The New York Liberty has initiated a search for a new head coach, following a decision by Walt Hopkins & management to part ways. We thank Walt for his spirit & commitment over the last two seasons, in which the team developed 3 WNBA All-Rookie Team members & Rookie of the Year.

Can we get that courtesy extended all the way down the line. Be nice if an Amazon warehouse worker could say at a job interview, "management and I made a decision to part ways" and Amazon would say the same when asked for a reference.

Last edited by tfan on 12/06/21 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 12/06/21 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious timing

PostPosted: 12/06/21 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So even making the playoffs was not good enough for him to secure his job. The owners and management must have wanted him to change from playing small ball and he was unwilling to make that change.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopkins was overseas coaching the German national team. They probably wanted to do this face-to-face after he came back and they could talk.

Kolb has always made it clear he is an analytics guy. I'm sure the numbers for this season under medium ball were not good. Maybe Kolb wanted to switch to a conventional alignment, but Hopkins wanted to stick with medium ball.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last ditch effort on Kolb’s part to save his own job. It won’t work IMO.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There were people here who suggested that since Hopkins wasn't fired at the end of the season then he was safe. I never believed that.

Kolb chose Hopkins as head coach. That's on him. But, in my view, Kolb made some excellent personnel moves. Now his job is hanging to a significant degree on getting it right in his second chance to hire a head coach.

Some of us, myself included, never bought Walt's "small ball' concept. I have to think it's gone along with him. If we get a new coach who brings Kiah Stokes back to shoot three-pointers, I may have to find another team. Smile

PostPosted: 12/06/21 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

IDK, where has Kolb done anything egregiously bad that would justify firing him? He was criticized a couple of years ago for drafting Jones at #12 and Shook at #13 but they've turned out to be decent picks relative to positioning. Onyenwere at #6 became ROY. Kolb was unlucky with Durr getting Covid and Sabrina getting injured, but that's not his fault and they were the consensus picks in those slots. As for his trades and free agent moves this past season, Kolb's peers placed him third in the Executive of the Year voting.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

IDK, where has Kolb done anything egregiously bad that would justify firing him? He was criticized a couple of years ago for drafting Jones at #12 and Shook at #13 but they've turned out to be decent picks relative to positioning. Onyenwere at #6 became ROY. Kolb was unlucky with Durr getting Covid and Sabrina getting injured, but that's not his fault and they were the consensus picks in those slots. As for his trades and free agent moves this past season, Kolb's peers placed him third in the Executive of the Year voting.

You wrote this just as I was posting above. I completely agree.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who should the Liberty hire now?

pilight

PostPosted: 12/06/21 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Who should the Liberty hire now?

Trudi Lacey is available

PostPosted: 12/06/21 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's Sabrina's birthday. Maybe firing Walt was her birthday present. She gets to pick the next coach.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't think this was the right move. I feel like they need to give a coach more than 2 years.

Is there a better candidate out there?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/06/21 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
It's Sabrina's birthday. Maybe firing Walt was her birthday present. She gets to pick the next coach.

What about player-coach? Worked well for Bill Russell. Smile

PostPosted: 12/06/21 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Honestly, I don't think this was the right move. I feel like they need to give a coach more than 2 years.

Is there a better candidate out there?

I'd agree about more than two years if

a. I felt happy about the level of improvement in year #2. I don't. Apparently Jonathan Kolb didn't and/or the two owners didn't.

b. I believed in the coach's approach. I didn't from the beginning and still don't.

What I find especially significant is the Liberty's second-half collapse in 2021. With or without the injuries, I never expected New York to be a championship contender this past season. I was mainly happy with how the first half of the season went, especially given players who weren't 100% or weren't there at all. But for me the second half of the season vividly demonstrated why Walt needed to go.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

What about player-coach? Worked well for Bill Russell. Smile

As an old Knicks fan, you should be aware of a better example. In 1964, at the age of 24, Dave DeBusschere became player-coach of the Detroit Pistons. Sabrina would be the same age if she became coach.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Player-coaches are illegal these days in the NBA, and as far as I know, in the WNBA as well. Too easy to use for cap circumvention.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 6 of 55

Jump to: