RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Budke and asst die in plane crash
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbjules

PostPosted: 11/20/11 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Mitchell is on the way to Stillwater to pay her respects.

bballfan32

PostPosted: 11/20/11 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arkansas coaches and staff wore orange ribbons during the game versus Utah and the players had orange shoe laces. Great to see from the stands. Praying for all people at Oklahoma State as they go through the memorial service tomorrow

Nerd2

PostPosted: 11/21/11 2:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A plane operates on the principle of lift where air flows at different rates across the top and bottom of the wing. This creates higher pressure under the wing than over the wing and the result is lift. The key is there needs to be a certain minimum speed that a plane must fly in order to generate this lift. A stall is when there is insufficient air pressure to maintain lift, either because the plane is too slow or because the wing is too far from level (angle of attack).

When there's engine trouble, the pilot needs to drop the nose to gain speed and keep the plane from stalling so they can keep gliding for a landing. It sounds like they were pretty low so that may be what they'd done. The plane spiraling in suggests that it finally stalled. My dad was a private pilot and he would explain to me some of the things he had to think about when flying.

As for the age, experience is more important that age most of the time. The pilot sounded like he was very experienced and had his pilot wife with him. With engine trouble, it's not as much quick reactions that will save you but experience.

When I was young, I saw a small plane crash into the ocean with no survivors. Hearing about similar things makes my heart ache for all involved.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/21/11 2:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Well, I do think actually, that there are a rare few airplanes, even maybe a 757, don't hold me to that, that are designed to glide without engine thrust for a bit. But in general, that's just not the way the miracle of flight occurs, and that's not how airplanes are designed. Flight happens when the engine propels the wings of an airplane against the resistance of the air and the wings are designed to create lift. Once that propulsion stops, or the engines die, then the same resistance of the air slows down the airplane almost immediately to the point where it cannot sustain lift or flight.

Actually, they're all designed to glide (they'd be hard put not to be, thanks to Bernoulli's Principle), but planes are very hard to land without engines, particularly since you don't get a second chance if it isn't done right.

You're right. I was confusing the concept of lift with the the ability to glide. Two different things. But it turns out big airliners are much better gliders than small single engine craft so gliding to some safe landing somewhere is going to be tough in a small airplane any way you slice it.

PostPosted: 11/21/11 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just one more comment on single engine planes. I know two different crashes killing all aboard where I knew the people well - both pilots were between 35 - 45 and in good health. One was on a cloudy, rainy day but the other was on a bright sunny day.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/21/11 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK State to review travel rules

http://espn.go.com/espnw/college-sports/7262786/oklahom-state-examine-travel-rules-deaths-women-basketball-coaches

Quote:
"Every pilot, regardless of age, is required to have a medical exam a minimum of every two years, and every pilot must also do a check ride with a certified instructor every two years," FAA spokesman Lynn Lunsford said. "That means you have to both prove that you're medically fit to fly, as well as ride with someone who can sign off on your abilities to handle the duties that come with being a pilot."

PostPosted: 11/21/11 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple of items.

At yesterday's UC Davis - Witchta State game, the announcer had the crowd observe a moment of silence in memory of the OSU coaches.

As a former flight instructor, there are a few points that need to be addressed.

All planes, regardless of size will glide without power. Contrary to what was posted, smaller, lighter aircraft will glide for a much greater distance than a larger plane and usually at a much shallower angle. Glide distances are easy to figure out using known variables such as speed, weight, altitude, etc.

Secondly, as was noted, all pilots much pass an FAA medical exam at least every two years and must pass a flight exam administered by a FAA certified check pilot.

The flight exam includes getting into and recovering from all three stall series; departure stalls, approach to landing stalls and accelerated stalls.

Each different type of stall has a unique recovery requirements that all pilots must master before obtaining even their private license.

Finally, while it would appear that a single engine aircraft is more dangerous than a multi engine plane, in some cases, an engine failure on a twin engine plane can create unrecoverable flight situations.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 11/22/11 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to see the METARs for that area for that point in time. If the engine was normally aspirated, I wonder if a slug of ice formed in the carb? That will kill your engine quickly.

PostPosted: 11/30/11 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
A plane that crashed Thursday, killing two Oklahoma State University coaches, a former state senator and his wife, was believed to be a record-setting aircraft that had crossed the North Pole.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=666&articleid=20111119_11_A15_CUTLIN229222&rss_lnk=93

pilight

PostPosted: 02/28/13 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8998198/ntsb-finds-no-evidence-mechanical-failure-oklahoma-state-cowgirls-plane-crash

Quote:
An examination of the wreckage revealed no instrument failure and no anomalies in the engine or airframe before the Piper PA-28-180 went down

PostPosted: 11/17/21 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to believe it's been 10 years since this happened

PostPosted: 11/17/21 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. That's sobering that it's been so long. I still remember this like it was so recent, although, this past year has warped my sense of time to a useless extreme.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 11/17/21 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The moment that got me the most wasn't this day, but when they were cutting down the nets from their NIT Championship that year, and invited Budke's widow to cut down his piece. I completely lost it in that moment. So much tragedy for this University and its fans(myself included), but it's always been met with resilience and banning together. Same spirit was on display during the Remember the Four game tonight, where they pulled out an ugly, gritty win over Missouri State

PostPosted: 11/17/21 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just seeing this headline again brought tears. Such a sad, sad time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: