Board Junkies Forums

2022 WNBA Cap/Roster Breakdowns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigmont

PostPosted: 11/10/21 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

female-buckets wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Stewart and Loyd aren't taking any pay deals. It will take whatever the max dollar is to keep them, and one of them will be cored.

No way do the Mystics take one of those trades for Clark, they just signed her. I don't know anything about a situation with Loyd, but it makes more sense that AC wanted to be closer to home and liked the validation of being a sought-after free agent after working so hard to just stay in the league.

Stew said she has unfinished business here and that Seattle's her home. Doesn't that kind of imply she's more motivated to stay here than to leave over 20,000? Between Russia and Puma, I'm sure she makes close to a million a year. She doesn't play in the WNBA for money.

I hope the Storm don't test that by trying to low-ball her. That would be stupid.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 11/11/21 4:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah if Stewie and Loyd want max then they have earned that and should get that. Loyd is not playing overseas atm so she is working on her game with a trainer. Bird will take less we already know that. She was willing to do that this year but in the end it wasnt necessary anymore. I dont see a free agent that should get similar money then those 2. First pay your own players who deserved it and i include Russell in that.

If you lose Canada to another team then you cant really afford to lose Prince aswell because even if Bird returns for 1 more year then she is certainly not going to play every game.. You need a solid backup

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/11/21 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dug deeper into the CBA, and it looks like teams can spend up to $100,000 in Marketing and Promotional compensation that does not hit the salary cap. I previously mentioned the Time Off Bonuses, but I forgot that those amounts do count against the cap. However, since my proposed scenario has Stewart, Bird, and Loyd sacrificing a combined total of roughly $84k, then the $100k in marketing money should be enough to cover the shortfall.

For the record, I have no opinion on what the Storm will do. In my original assessment, I thought they would have to choose between Russell or a free agent. However, after the discussion between Stormeo and Richyyy, I wondered if there was a way they could do both. I had been using Richyyy’s aggregate number for signed contracts, which included Prince’s $115k salary. I also assumed the team would want 12 players because that’s what they appeared to carry in 2021. It’s hard to tell because so many players went in and out. Anyway, neither Prince nor the 12 players are things that have to happen. So, I decided to eliminate them and see how close the Storm could get to both keeping Russell and signing a free agent. I think the plan I laid out is realistic. However, realistic is not the same as likely. I don’t pretend to know which players are willing to sacrifice money, where they prefer to live or which other teams might tempt them for whatever reason. Seattle fans can debate this stuff amongst themselves.

PostPosted: 11/11/21 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
If you lose Canada to another team then you cant really afford to lose Prince aswell because even if Bird returns for 1 more year then she is certainly not going to play every game.. You need a solid backup

Somewhat depends on who that big splash free agent might be. If it was, say, Courtney Vandersloot, then you probably wouldn't need to make room for a backup point guard Wink.

PostPosted: 11/11/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but all 4 semifinal teams this year (at least by the time they were in the actual semis) were comprised of 11-player rosters. So in terms of the salary-cap era in general, it seems to me that teams will naturally be moving more towards 11-player rosters and away from 12. No doubt they’ll want the best roster quality they can, and they’d only be two injuries away from being able to sign a hardship player. The WNBA isn’t suited to developing players anyway – never really was. Players seem to be able to develop just fine either overseas or over the course of an actual offseason.

As for re-signing Stewart & Loyd, they should only be taking paycuts voluntarily. Otherwise, they ought to be re-signed to absolute-supermax deals – the more years, the better. Should things get tricky in the post-Bird years involving either one, we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. But we definitely must start free agency by attending to the star players – unless they very kindly defer, like Bird has – and then decide if the next priority is re-signing the free-agent role players or making a big splash on the open market. I would guess that Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles are our biggest targets just based on need & fit, or Courtney Vandersloot if Bird opts to retire now. But assuming the front office really thinks Climate Pledge Arena is going to be its own recruiting advantage, I definitely think the Storm – especially if Bird returns for a final season – will try to hit home-run signings, rather than stay the course with who they have now (where, if we have to lose some or all of our unsigned role players, then so be it).

Randy

PostPosted: 11/11/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but all 4 semifinal teams this year (at least by the time they were in the actual semis) were comprised of 11-player rosters. So in terms of the salary-cap era in general, it seems to me that teams will naturally be moving more towards 11-player rosters and away from 12.

I've started to think an 11 player roster can be better for teams than a roster of 12 when multiple injuries happen. They get to the emergency hardship limit (<10 players) quicker and can get the player for the position they need at the time. If they have 12, they may be stuck with a player who's in the wrong position. The replacement player may not be any good, but Player 12 is usually not very good either and may be of no help.

female-buckets

PostPosted: 11/11/21 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but all 4 semifinal teams this year (at least by the time they were in the actual semis) were comprised of 11-player rosters. So in terms of the salary-cap era in general, it seems to me that teams will naturally be moving more towards 11-player rosters and away from 12. No doubt they’ll want the best roster quality they can, and they’d only be two injuries away from being able to sign a hardship player. The WNBA isn’t suited to developing players anyway – never really was. Players seem to be able to develop just fine either overseas or over the course of an actual offseason.

As for re-signing Stewart & Loyd, they should only be taking paycuts voluntarily. Otherwise, they ought to be re-signed to absolute-supermax deals – the more years, the better. Should things get tricky in the post-Bird years involving either one, we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. But we definitely must start free agency by attending to the star players – unless they very kindly defer, like Bird has – and then decide if the next priority is re-signing the free-agent role players or making a big splash on the open market. I would guess that Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles are our biggest targets just based on need & fit, or Courtney Vandersloot if Bird opts to retire now. But assuming the front office really thinks Climate Pledge Arena is going to be its own recruiting advantage, I definitely think the Storm – especially if Bird returns for a final season – will try to hit home-run signings, rather than stay the course with who they have now (where, if we have to lose some or all of our unsigned role players, then so be it).

I'm in love with Sylvia Fowles. Seeing her in a Storm jersey would be total wish fulfillment lol. But whatever the Storm does, I hope Sue is calling the shots. I hope she can use her leverage to get the roster she wants. I know that's not how things are supposed to work. But after losing the 2020 team and losing the Dupree gamble, I trust Sue over the front office.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 11/12/21 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
My scenario would give them a little more room: Trade KLS, or Burke, or #9 to the Mystics for Clark. Clark makes 183. This would be a salary dump for the Mystics but they don't really need Clark unless they are positive that EDD is healthy and that they will be contenders. I wouldn't bet on that happening. Storm need Clark more than a random FA, while the Mystics probably need to start a rebuild. (Clark needs to show she's healthy by overseas play.)

They should move on from EDD. Injuries and illness are not her fault, but the team needs to hit the reset button, IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: