15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Sky
84%
 84%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 19

Milks26

PostPosted: 10/18/21 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, when the Mercs won a couple of days ago the thread went 22 pages.

Fri & Sun after the Sky dubs were at 7 & 11. Huh!!

PostPosted: 10/18/21 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats Sky!

How can you not be happy for Sloot & Allie to get one. From Star players asking for trade to bad coaching & losing seasons it was both of them there & now them sticking with thru the bad got them awarded with the grand prize.

I’m so happy for Candace Parker. Seeing her get emotional at the end knowing she just won her 2nd title had me emotional too. Alger said it best I don’t think I ever see a Star get more disrespect than CP. From being told she wasn’t good for team USA, benched in a playoff to even being voted overrated by her peers, I’m glad she proved she is still good enough to help a team win a title. To see how she was with her younger like Copper, Diamond, Azura was really touch my heart. I been watching CP since her rookie season & she wasn’t always this kinda teammate so to see her grow with her leadership is a nice sight.

Credit to DT & Sky for congratulating the every Chicago player after a tough loss.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/18/21 3:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Just finish watching the game. I called the Sky for the chip before the season and damnit they brought the sh*t home. Would've been a sweep if it wasn't for the blk & whts

YESSSSSSS

I'm so happy for this team. This is my 2nd team. I've always liked them: Quigs, Copper, Slooty, Dolson, DeShields (yeah, she played bad all year but she was not always so & she'll be back). Candace is new to the fold but she was the missing piece.

Copper well deserving of that MVP award. Big congrats.

No one on planet Earth is more excited for Chicago than I am! First, Vegas was knocked off for me then Phoenix.....I'm sure you can figure out why I feel this way😁😁😁😁😁

tfan

PostPosted: 10/18/21 4:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am surprised that people aren't getting on Taurasi for flopping. At 0:42 she shoves Copper and when Copper gives an angry push back Taurasi does a major dramatic flop.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PuOVSBL7-Lg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by tfan on 10/18/21 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 10/18/21 4:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't figure out where the 2021 first round pick that Chicago gave to Dallas along with Katie Lou Samuelson for Azura Stevens ended up,.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/18/21 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I can't figure out where the 2021 first round pick that Chicago gave to Dallas along with Katie Lou Samuelson for Azurá Stevens ended up.

Long story short, Dallas ended up trading Chicago's pick (the #7 Pick) to LA in part to get what would become LA's 2022 Lottery Pick. LA meanwhile used that #7 Pick on Jasmine Walker, who as you may recall sadly tore her ACL very early on in the season.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 10/18/21 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Diana...her play is amazing...but she is always such an ass in games, it's hard as a fan to actually 'like' her.

This.

I can't begrudge her talent - that's a fact! And no one is going to surpass her scoring record any time soon.

There was a point yesterday where she pushed away two Sky players - in the same play! - but a Sky player got called for a foul. Laughing

As for the door, it's surprising that such a cheap one would have been installed at the arena, which DePaul University (Allie's alma mater) and McCormick Place (major meeting venue) - and of course the Sky! - are primary users.

PostPosted: 10/18/21 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
She's the perfect 'villain' type for this League, truly. As a player, if you don't root for her, you hate her. Laughing Diggins-Smith has become a great villainy sidekick in that regard as well. ( Confused ) Cunningham has finally re-risen since her time at Missouri as the villain she always was as well. And then Phoenix simply having unstoppable-force Griner (in which the means that they got her from the year before were at the time quite... dubious #DentalProcedure2k12) who seemingly was inevitably going to be dominant in this League puts the cherry on top to make the Phoenix Mercury the perfect villain franchise. Now if they as a team completely sucked year after year, I could actually see myself rooting for them – I do generally love a good villain, but only when the stakes are low. Mr. Green

I don't think the Mercury have the sort of "then let me be evil" self-awareness to be proper villains. That's one thing I miss most about the Detroit Shock. They were heels, and they knew it, and they embraced it. (And from what I recall, so did their fans.)

PostPosted: 10/18/21 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I am surprised that people aren't getting on Taurasi for flopping. At 0:42 she shoves Copper and when Copper gives an angry push back Taurasi does a major dramatic flop.

That woman has been pushing Copper around since the 3rd game. Making a concerted effort to go through her whenever she scores a basket instead of going around her or moving to the side like a normal human being. It's all good - Copper ensured she got hers with a title.

Last edited by Milks26 on 10/18/21 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 10/18/21 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAPDCCQ.img

SCook

PostPosted: 10/18/21 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
BG and Phoenix owned the last 2 minutes of the half.

And I'd say that Phoenix looked better without DT on the floor.

I didn't comment on this during the game but I really believe Diana was a huge negative in this game when she was in.

PostPosted: 10/18/21 11:38 am    ::: Grats to the Sky!! Reply Reply with quote

As a fan of the team who got Big Syl, I have always wanted the Sky to win it all. That team has gone through losing its best player TWICE and that sucks. Players have a right to demand a trade after a few years -- they have lives beyond basketball -- but it is hard on fans. But this Sky team went all the way and did it in style, beating teams that have more obvious star power.

I have coveted Sloot for the Lynx since she came into the league and am so happy to see a great PG like her win a ring. . .even if the Lynx will never get her, lol.

And kudos to the Mercury, a team one can never count out. You'll be back.

PostPosted: 10/18/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't wait to read Richyyy's analysis of the Sky and the overall playoffs. His eloquence is better than mine in how he is able to dissect and give specific details on tactics and strategies of the head coaches.
But my two cents worth of an opinion on why the Sky were so successful in the 2021 playoffs was their team defense. I watched the Sky the entire season. They never and I mean NEVER played the intense team defense that they displayed in the playoffs. Chicago played Phoenix three times this season and they never played that level of defense against them.
Somewhere between the end of the season and that first playoff game they came up with a plan on how they were going to play team defense and that game plan won them a championship.

PostPosted: 10/18/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats Sky! So happy to see them get a championship. It was a blast watching them tear through the playoffs this year. I had a feeling they were peaking at the right time when they blew out the Storm a couple times toward the end of the season, but still wasn't sure they'd gel for the playoffs. Happy to see they did!

What a fun team to watch. Vandersloot and Copper especially. That stop-on-a-dime spin shot Sloot did at the end of game 4 was insane.

Dolson played so badly during most of the Connecticut series, it was great to see her bounce back and be fantastic during the finals.

The only bummer was the WNBA emailed out the result of the game about a half hour after it finished. I wasn't able to watch it until later so I got it spoiled. I generally avoid social media when I haven't watched a game yet, but didn't expect a giant spoiler directly into my inbox!

Mixolydian

PostPosted: 10/18/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I am surprised that people aren't getting on Taurasi for flopping.

I've never been a Merc fan but I had some goodwill toward them this series for how they were playing despite fatigue and injuries and the fact that the #5 seed got to the finals.

But that evaporated with all the flopping and shoving. Turasi and SDS pulled some incredibly cringy flops. There was one they kept showing in slow motion when SDS got a minor hit to the neck area and she threw her head back and acted like she was going to fall over in this ridiculously exaggerated way, every time they showed it again in slow mo I got more vicariously embarrassed.

The W has managed to avoid a lot of the cringey aspects of the MNBA so far but the flopping seems to be seeping in. I wouldn't mind seeing postgame flop reviews and fines or whatever they need to do to nip that junk in the bud. It's one of the main reasons I can't watch the MNBA.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/18/21 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

But my two cents worth of an opinion on why the Sky were so successful in the 2021 playoffs was their team defense. I watched the Sky the entire season. They never and I mean NEVER played the intense team defense that they displayed in the playoffs. Chicago played Phoenix three times this season and they never played that level of defense against them.
Somewhere between the end of the season and that first playoff game they came up with a plan on how they were going to play team defense and that game plan won them a championship.

Bingo. Credit James Wade for devising the defensive gameplan and the players for executing it. Keeping Griner from determining the outcome - by either scoring easily or making the easy pass for a bucket - was key to winning. That was 100% due to defensive rotations that were smart and on time.

Also knowing Taurasi was not able to make cuts due to her injuries was a major factor on the outcome. Other than making her long bombs - mostly in game 2 - she was a liability on both offense and especially on defense. Chicago took full advantage of what Taurasi was not able to do.

~rAf
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 10/18/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sp true about Chicago's defense!!

Huh?
https://twitter.com/Khristina2334/status/1450160575107960840?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Whelp, Chicago has their parade tomorrow! Hopefully, they livestream the festivities!

https://twitter.com/chicagosmayor/status/1450180440942202884

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/18/21 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mixolydian wrote:

The W has managed to avoid a lot of the cringey aspects of the MNBA so far but the flopping seems to be seeping in. I wouldn't mind seeing postgame flop reviews and fines or whatever they need to do to nip that junk in the bud.

agree! I would love to have postgame reviews and fines for this activity. Flops really takes away from the game and we should have no tolerance for it.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/18/21 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
tfan wrote:

That woman has been pushing Copper around since the 3rd game. Making a concerted effort to go through her whenever she scores a basket instead of going around her or moving to the side like a normal human being. It's all good - Copper ensured she got hers with a title.

Yeah, it's nice that Copper ended up holding the MVP trophy while Taurasi was slamming locker room doors. At 2:58 of this video Copper drives around Taurasi and scores and while she is on the ground Taurasi takes the opportunity to hit her in the face with her leg as much as she can get away with:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hAyF863zdMo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tally24

PostPosted: 10/19/21 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Yeah, it's nice that Copper ended up holding the MVP trophy while Taurasi was slamming locker room doors. At 2:58 of this video Copper drives around Taurasi and scores and while she is on the ground Taurasi takes the opportunity to hit her in the face with her leg as much as she can get away with:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hAyF863zdMo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And yet, Copper still took the time to tweet out how much respect she has for DT. The animosity y’all so badly seem to want toward DT is super one-sided. No one within the league seems to have anything negative to say. Makes you think, maybe? 🤔
Shades

PostPosted: 10/19/21 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Copper got snippy with the media too. They were asking too many questions. I mean, enjoy your unlikely spotlight. You have many days to celebrate.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 10/19/21 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

And yet, Copper still took the time to tweet out how much respect she has for DT. The animosity y’all so badly seem to want toward DT is super one-sided. No one within the league seems to have anything negative to say. Makes you think, maybe? 🤔

Years ago Delisha Milton-Jones was running down the court for the Mystics and looking to the side and Taurasi slid in front of her and threw her shoulder into Milton-Jones and leveled her. Milton-Jones was livid and had to be heavily restrained by her teammates. I later saw an interview where Milton-Jones was asked about her favorite players to play against and her first response was Taurasi. Neither that or Copper's tweet is going to cause me to change my opinion about Taurasi and her cheap shots and bullying. If the players can respect, enjoy or admire that type of play or overlook it, that's good for them because they have to experience it, not me.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 10/19/21 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Years ago Delisha Milton-Jones was running down the court for the Mystics and looking to the side and Taurasi slid in front of her and threw her shoulder into Milton-Jones and leveled her. Milton-Jones was livid and had to be heavily restrained by her teammates. I later saw an interview where Milton-Jones was asked about her favorite players to play against and her first response was Taurasi. Neither that or Copper's tweet is going to cause me to change my opinion about Taurasi and her cheap shots and bullying. If the players can respect, enjoy or admire that type of play or overlook it, that's good for them because they have to experience it, not me.

it is a 2-way street, not that DT does or doesn't deserve it, but she's been man (woman)-handled since her junior year at UConn. its the way refs have let people play against her - i am sure this has to do with her style of play.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 10/19/21 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing
tfan wrote:
is going to cause me to change my opinion about Taurasi and her cheap shots and bullying.

She's clearly a great player without having to consistently resort to unsportsmanlike conduct to excel. But that is clearly her choice. I think that's why the "villain" tag is often assigned to her - the player you love to hate. I have so much respect her game, but it just annoys the heck out of me to see her do that sort of stuff (and be a potty mouth) because it detracts from my respect for her as a player.

Anyway...

Yes, the parade is being livestreamed "on all @chicagosmayor's social".

Announcing this less than 24 hours before the event start is not good. Folks gotta work and/or already had things scheduled. Not much time to flex. It's technically doable for me, but it will be a lot of hassle. I use public transportation, live on the Far North Side but work in Skokie, where I have an early meeting. Because I normally carry a backpack, I would have to leave that or drop it off at home before heading downtown. Wouldn't make sense to go all the way to Wintrust so would go straight to Millennium Park. But downtown in the middle of the day on a weekday? I love my Sky, but I just think this scheduling wasn't well thought-out...

PostPosted: 10/19/21 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

In Milton's case Taurasi's extra contact probably reminded her of herself. D-Nasty used to be tech queen before Diana came along.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: