41%  [ 7 ]
Storm
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 17

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 08/30/21 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It is perhaps worth noting that no team has won a WNBA championship in an Olympic year with more than one member of Team USA on their roster

2016 Sparks had none
2012 Fever had only Catchings
2008 Shock had only Katie Smith
2004 Storm had only Bird
2000 Comets had only Swoopes

Looks like correlation without causation to me.

Teams with multiple US Olympians in those years

Minnesota (Whalen, Moore, Fowles, Augustus)—21-4 at the break, finished 28-6
Seattle (Stewart, Bird)—9-15 at the break, finished 16-18
Phoenix (Griner, Taurasi)—10-14 at the break, finished 16-18

Chicago (Cash, Fowles)—8-9 at the break, finished 14-20
Connecticut (Charles, A Jones)—15-4 at the break, finished 25-9
Minnesota (Augustus, Moore, Whalen)—15-4 at the break, finished 27-7 including an 8-game winning streak coming out of the break

Los Angeles (Parker, Leslie, Milton-Jones)—15-12 at the break, finished 20-14

Detroit (Cash, Riley)—13-14 at the break, finished 17-17
Houston (Swoopes, Thompson)—12-14 at the break, finished 13-21

Sacramento (Bolton, Griffith), Los Angels (Leslie, Milton), Washington (Holdsclaw, McCray)—Olympics held after the season

Only teams that would have been favored to win prior to the Olympic Break were Minnesota in 2012 and 2016.

And certainly there have been plenty of teams with one Olympian or none that didn't win either.

A five-game road trip to start the second half for Seattle this year (six if you include the Commissioner's Cup game) didn't help them a lot.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/30/21 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Candace Parker showing the Seattle Olympians, and I am living for it.

THIS!

When Parker's ON, she's the best player in the world.

She just doesn't recover fast anymore after outburst like this. I'm anticipating she will not have her legs in PHx on Tues. If I were her coach, she'd be on the Tim Duncan plan at this stage of her career, start some, rest some.

Candace did her damage with 24 minutes of playing time. As long as Wade keeps her playing time at 30 minutes or less she should be fine.

PostPosted: 08/30/21 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
When Diamond played more minutes she at least sometimes looked for teammates. Now when she gets the ball, it's not going anywhere except toward the basket, even if a teammate is wide open.

Myrtle, you’re by far one of my faves on this board, and your observations are usually very astute, but Diamond ended with 16 points on 10 shots, had 4 assists and led the team in +/-. I’d say she did what she was supposed to. Hope she keeps doing exactly that.

yeah, Diamond is an enigma to me. She can be really good. However, when I made that statement she had just made two unsuccessful drives to the basket against multiple defenders while ignoring open nearby teammates. I've had the impression recently that she's trying too hard because she's been getting fewer minutes and her shot has been off. But yes, she was darn good in this game. If she performed like this every game, I certainly wouldn't complain if I were a Sky fan.

I have not given up hope with the young lady. I just don't think the Sky should overspend to retain her next year. If she is looking to receive a fat salary next season the Sky should try to trade her.

PostPosted: 08/30/21 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Candace Parker showing the Seattle Olympians, and I am living for it.

THIS!

She just doesn't recover fast anymore after outburst like this. I'm anticipating she will not have her legs in PHx on Tues. If I were her coach, she'd be on the Tim Duncan plan at this stage of her career, start some, rest some.

Candace did her damage with 24 minutes of playing time. As long as Wade keeps her playing time at 30 minutes or less she should be fine.

The Sky are 0-2 when Parker plays 32+ minutes Laughing

PostPosted: 08/30/21 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure it won't stay as bad as it looks right now, but right now the Storm look tired, small, slow, and out of ideas. If the shooting isn't there, they have nothing to fall back on.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/31/21 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
pilight wrote:
It is perhaps worth noting that no team has won a WNBA championship in an Olympic year with more than one member of Team USA on their roster

2016 Sparks had none
2004 Storm had only Bird

Looks like correlation without causation to me.

Perhaps. I thought it was interesting trend.

PostPosted: 08/31/21 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2021 Sun have zero Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 08/31/21 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

She just doesn't recover fast anymore after outburst like this. I'm anticipating she will not have her legs in PHx on Tues

Good calll!

PostPosted: 10/17/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

If Seattle does not make it to the finals this season because of the fatigue suffered by their Olympians will this give a reason for some teams to discourage their star players from playing in the Olympics?🤔

2016 Sparks had none
2004 Storm had only Bird

2021 Sky had none

PostPosted: 10/22/21 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

If Seattle does not make it to the finals this season because of the fatigue suffered by their Olympians will this give a reason for some teams to discourage their star players from playing in the Olympics?🤔

2016 Sparks had none
2004 Storm had only Bird

2021 Sky had none

Sorry for revisiting this kinda late, but now that it exists, shouldn't you count anyone participating in the Olympics' 3x3 event? (ie Dolson in this case) Still involves Team USA, still involves traveling all the way to the Olympics & back in order to participate, so it still theoretically still contributes to any possible late-season fatigue in a similar way that being on the 5x5 team would.

mercfan

PostPosted: 10/22/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

2016 Sparks had none
2004 Storm had only Bird

2021 Sky had none

Sorry for revisiting this kinda late, but now that it exists, shouldn't you count anyone participating in the Olympics' 3x3 event? (ie Dolson in this case) Still involves Team USA, still involves traveling all the way to the Olympics & back in order to participate, so it still theoretically still contributes to any possible late-season fatigue in a similar way that being on the 5x5 team would.

Yes but 3x3 players are closer to role players than the stardom of the 5x5 national team.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/22/21 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

2016 Sparks had none
2004 Storm had only Bird

2021 Sky had none

The overall point would still stand, as the Sky had only Dolson

PostPosted: 10/22/21 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

2016 Sparks had none
2004 Storm had only Bird

2021 Sky had none

The overall point would still stand, as the Sky had only Dolson

True.

Really could never have predicted the story arc of winning an Olympic gold medal and a WNBA title all in one year happening to Stefanie Dolson... Razz Good for her!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: