RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten 2021-2022
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/07/21 8:48 am    ::: Big Ten 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

B1G Media Days are live on BTN this morning. They are alternating men’s and women’s coaches from each school. I’m hoping this leads to increased media coverage!

Tim Eatman appeared for Rutgers. There was an article yesterday (paywall) that said C. Vivian Stringer hasn’t been with the team since April. https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2021/10/rutgers-c-vivian-stringer-not-with-team-due-to-covid-concerns.html

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/07/21 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

B1G Women’s TV Schedule

https://bigten.org/services/download_file.ashx?file_location=https://s3.amazonaws.com/bigten.org/documents/2021/10/4/2021_22_Big_Ten_WBB_Schedule.pdf

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/07/21 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa loses Sharon Goodman for the year due to an ACL tear suffered in practice.

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2021/10/07/sharon-goodman-suffers-torn-acl/

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/07/21 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Northwestern basketball and soccer player and BTN announcer Lisa Byington gets honored by the conference with an award in her name. She’s moving on to be the first female NBA play by announcer (Milwaukee Bucks).

https://bigten.org/news/2021/10/7/general-big-ten-conference-and-big-ten-network-announce-creation-of-lisa-byington-award.aspx

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/07/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Senior Leigha Brown intends to take her fifth year at Michigan next season.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/07/21 12:42 pm    ::: Re: Big Ten 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
B1G Media Days are live on BTN this morning. They are alternating men’s and women’s coaches from each school. I’m hoping this leads to increased media coverage!

Tim Eatman appeared for Rutgers. There was an article yesterday (paywall) that said C. Vivian Stringer hasn’t been with the team since April. https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2021/10/rutgers-c-vivian-stringer-not-with-team-due-to-covid-concerns.html

Wow-It's media day time already? I love it.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/07/21 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for starting a thread, mzonefan!

News was shared today that Iowa sophomore Sharon Goodman, second on the depth chart at the 5/C position, tore her ACL in practice. Sad for her. She developed really nicely last season and even offered a better defensive presence than Czinano at times.

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2021/10/07/sharon-goodman-suffers-torn-acl/

PostPosted: 10/07/21 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Transcripts from day 1 of media day https://bigten.org/sports/2021/10/2/21BBMediaDays.aspx

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/07/21 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Press conference videos of coaches (same event as the transcripts linked above) and also interviews with coaches and their players are on the BTN channel here: https://youtube.com/c/BTN

PG4ever

PostPosted: 10/07/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Senior Leigha Brown intends to take her fifth year at Michigan next season.

I was hoping so glad to hear this. Love her game!

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/08/21 6:17 am    ::: Re: Big Ten 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

Tim Eatman’s Q&A revealed that Stringer isn’t coaching at all - even remotely, as it sounds like someone else is filling in as the 4th coach for recruiting.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2021/10/big-ten-media-day-rutgers-tim-eatman-discusses-running-the-program-without-c-vivian-stringer-rebuilding-through-transfer-portal-and-replacing-arella-guirantes.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true
Quote:

Q: How does it work from a day-to-day responsibilities perspective. Can Vivian Stringer do anything? Watching practice and instructing through a Zoom or something?

Eatman: “No. The NCAA requires you to only have four coaches coaching. You can only have four coaches on the road recruiting. If coach was doing something basketball-wise that would make us have five. So we can’t break that rule just so she could help that way.

“It’s just one voice right now. And unfortunately it’s just mine right now.’’

Q: So you can’t talk to her about basketball day-to-day?

Eatman: “I can talk to her. She called me today about this press conference. But it’s not about basketball. That’s the genius of Coach. She’s put in a system where she knows she has coaches that will follow her ways. (Assistant coaches’) Michelle (Edwards) and Nadine (Domond) played for Coach so she trusts us to just do our jobs everyday.’’

This part bothered me.

Quote:

Eatman: “The one thing that’s not on Coach (Stringer’s) resume is winning a National Championship. If we can utilize the transfer portal by getting great kids, great students, but experienced basketball players — it helps her get to that goal. Instead of a high school youngster who we have to develop versus a player who is first-team all-league in another conference. When you start weighing that then you have to decide, ‘Who’s better for us today?’ Because this is not a society where we’re waiting on you to develop into something. This is about, ‘Where are you right now (development-wise)?’ So every time we go on the road recruiting, when we look at a player we stop and say, ‘Is that (high school) kid better than the transfer-portal kid?’ If that (high school) kid is not better than the transfer-portal kid we’re not recruiting her.’’

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/08/21 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of free agency. The lower level DI schools will just be the minor leagues/developmental leagues for the top conferences. He basically just verbalized what we all know to be the case anyway.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/08/21 12:40 pm    ::: Re: Big Ten 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

This part bothered me.

Quote:

Eatman: “The one thing that’s not on Coach (Stringer’s) resume is winning a National Championship. If we can utilize the transfer portal by getting great kids, great students, but experienced basketball players — it helps her get to that goal. Instead of a high school youngster who we have to develop versus a player who is first-team all-league in another conference. When you start weighing that then you have to decide, ‘Who’s better for us today?’ Because this is not a society where we’re waiting on you to develop into something. This is about, ‘Where are you right now (development-wise)?’ So every time we go on the road recruiting, when we look at a player we stop and say, ‘Is that (high school) kid better than the transfer-portal kid?’ If that (high school) kid is not better than the transfer-portal kid we’re not recruiting her.’’

Yeah, this bothers me too. I thought one of the things college coaches prided themselves on was developing people. I also especially seem to recall that being one of Stringer's talking points.

I do also wonder if the new transfer era will be the end of, or at least a heavy blow to, close-knit alumni networks like UConn, Tennessee, and Rutgers boast of. How much emotional connection do you have if you've only been there a year or two?

PostPosted: 10/08/21 1:29 pm    ::: Re: Big Ten 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
This part bothered me.
Quote:

Also this strategy won't work if the program doesn't also hold on to the recruits they do manage to snag. Case in point with Rutgers is Diamond Johnson...

PostPosted: 10/08/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Day 2 transcripts up https://bigten.org/sports/2021/10/2/21BBMediaDays.aspx

Merchant, Gearlds, Kieger, Whalen, McKeown, Moren, Moseley were the day 2 coaches.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/09/21 2:58 pm    ::: Re: Big Ten 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
This part bothered me.
Quote:

I can see exactly why that might bother any/all participants. It's devolving into a purely transactional thing, about "How can I get MY Championship?"

I thought C.Viv was above that.

PostPosted: 10/09/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rankings prediction -- anyone else welcome to join. Cool These are my 5 'tiers,' ordered from top to bottom then roughly left to right. I can see things within each tier going many different orders and definitely expect one team from each tier to punch up into the next tier.

Maryland
----
Indiana, Michigan, Iowa
----
Michigan St., Northwestern, Ohio St., Nebraska
----
Rutgers, Penn St., Minnesota, Purdue
----
Illinois, Wisconsin

PostPosted: 10/13/21 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey that's like how I do my rankings! 5 Tiers: Conference Favotire, Tournament Teams, Bubble Teams, Darkhorses, and Longshots (my nice way of saying they don't have a chance). The only differences between yours and mine is I have Purdue in the bottom tier and Ohio State flip-flopped with Rutgers.

PostPosted: 10/13/21 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Hey that's like how I do my rankings! 5 Tiers: Conference Favotire, Tournament Teams, Bubble Teams, Darkhorses, and Longshots (my nice way of saying they don't have a chance). The only differences between yours and mine is I have Purdue in the bottom tier and Ohio State flip-flopped with Rutgers.

I like how you named your tiers. Cool

I guess I'm a little more optimistic about Purdue (if you can call tier 4 vs tier 5 "optimism" lol). - I think they have a nice potential core in Madison Layden and their 6'6'' post who should move into the starting lineup this year.

OSU and Rutgers are difficult to judge. Both teams lost their best players to the transfer portal (Dorka Juhasz to Connecticut and Diamond Johnson to NC State). Who knows how much the incoming transfers will contribute or if they will even be available. I haven't heard any word of if Taylor Mikesell, for example, will be available for OSU this season.

That said, OSU has one of the best backcourts in the Big Ten led by Jacy Sheldon. When they are at their best they play stellar defense, can score with ease in transition, and are dangerous off the bounce in the half court. For that reason alone I think they are at least a "bubble" team.

My question about Rutgers is: who is actually coaching? Seems like it could be a recipe for a underwhelming season on the heels of a disappointing 2021 postseason.

PostPosted: 10/14/21 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last I saw on Mikesell’s eligibility for this season is still pending - might not know until right before the season starts.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/14/21 11:01 am    ::: Re: Big Ten 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

This part bothered me.

Quote:

Yeah, this bothers me too. I thought one of the things college coaches prided themselves on was developing people. I also especially seem to recall that being one of Stringer's talking points.

I do also wonder if the new transfer era will be the end of, or at least a heavy blow to, close-knit alumni networks like UConn, Tennessee, and Rutgers boast of. How much emotional connection do you have if you've only been there a year or two?

The more I think about this, it seems like Rutgers has to go in the portal direction. IMHO which high school student is going to sign to play four years for a 73 year old coach who may or may not even return to coach her team? If being in a safe environment with just your team/staff for practices is too risky now, how would an arena full of fans impact your choice?

According to Raoul’s chart, Rutgers doesn’t have a single verbal commitment for future years (and just a single freshman playing this year). If the Rutgers staff is comparing transfer portal kids to high school kids, it’s only going to be during the late signing period for high school seniors.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/15/21 4:22 pm    ::: Re: Big Ten 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

This part bothered me.

Quote:

The more I think about this, it seems like Rutgers has to go in the portal direction. IMHO which high school student is going to sign to play four years for a 73 year old coach who may or may not even return to coach her team? If being in a safe environment with just your team/staff for practices is too risky now, how would an arena full of fans impact your choice?

According to Raoul’s chart, Rutgers doesn’t have a single verbal commitment for future years (and just a single freshman playing this year). If the Rutgers staff is comparing transfer portal kids to high school kids, it’s only going to be during the late signing period for high school seniors.

Rutgers has held on to CViv for about 10 years too long. i know she is a legend of the game and has done wonderful things, but man, Rutgers was a perennial Top-15 team. I also think the B1G is the worst thing that happened to their women's basketball program.

Durantula

PostPosted: 10/15/21 8:10 pm    ::: Re: Big Ten 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

This part bothered me.

Quote:

Rutgers has held on to CViv for about 10 years too long. i know she is a legend of the game and has done wonderful things, but man, Rutgers was a perennial Top-15 team. I also think the B1G is the worst thing that happened to their women's basketball program.

Rutgers in their prior league, American Athletic Conference, would have been the worst thing for their program. In the Big Ten they will earn more money and get a lot more national visibility. The AAC is losing teams left and right. I don't think Big Ten has been bad for Rutgers, its more C Viv is getting up in age and that happens sometimes coaches regress a little bit.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/15/21 8:32 pm    ::: Re: Big Ten 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Rutgers in their prior league, American Athletic Conference, would have been the worst thing for their program. In the Big Ten they will earn more money and get a lot more national visibility. The AAC is losing teams left and right. I don't think Big Ten has been bad for Rutgers, its more C Viv is getting up in age and that happens sometimes coaches regress a little bit.

Agree - classic case of correlation, not causation

PostPosted: 10/25/21 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little OT: Rutgers won their first ever B1G championship yesterday when their women’s soccer team won the regular season. When the Scarlet Knights joined the conference 7 years ago, I imagined that the WBB program would be the first.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: