View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
mercfan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Will anyone sign Courtney Williams?

Of course. There are players who have done worse than Williams with great contracts. Teams in every league sign assholes - the WNBA isn't any different.

I feel like what makes this particular situation unique is that her own team allegedly will not resign her.

Does that scare away other teams in the W? The only teams that I think would truly even benefit from her talent despite the baggage would be Dallas, Los Angeles and Indiana.

Good point, especially considering she was my choice over Aerial Powers to begin with.

If its up to Courtney shes headed to LA . That's her Gf's hometown where her family and friends are she's def going to LA if they want her.

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LA have six guaranteed contracts for next season (which is the maximum) and virtually no cap space. So it's going to take some retirements and/or trades to get anyone there. Unless she fancies playing for the vet minimum.

PostPosted: 10/06/21 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
mercfan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Of course. There are players who have done worse than Williams with great contracts. Teams in every league sign assholes - the WNBA isn't any different.

I feel like what makes this particular situation unique is that her own team allegedly will not resign her.

Does that scare away other teams in the W? The only teams that I think would truly even benefit from her talent despite the baggage would be Dallas, Los Angeles and Indiana.

Good point, especially considering she was my choice over Aerial Powers to begin with.

If its up to Courtney shes headed to LA . That's her Gf's hometown where her family and friends are she's def going to LA if they want her.

How can we convince Nkeka to come to Dallas?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/06/21 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
mercfan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
mercfan wrote:

I've honestly gotten over that train . If we can swing her then hey come on down but Nneka's no spring chicken id rather stick with Collier and hopefully build on the draft picks we pick this year. Nneka could have came last year if she wanted but she didn't so I'm not feeling giving up players bc she changed her mind if even realistic.

PostPosted: 10/06/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
mercfan wrote:

If the Sparks don't blow up the team, they should definitely sign CW to do it for them.

~rAf
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/07/21 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
mercfan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
mercfan wrote:

I've honestly gotten over that train . If we can swing her then hey come on down but Nneka's no spring chicken id rather stick with Collier and hopefully build on the draft picks we pick this year. Nneka could have came last year if she wanted but she didn't so I'm not feeling giving up players bc she changed her mind if even realistic.

Good point!

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/07/21 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Love your work.

Page shows Sophie Cunningham as a UFA. That's a mistake.

Heh, not by us.

Did the league misclassify her? Or did she sign a weird contract? Shouldn't she be reserved?

PostPosted: 10/07/21 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Love your work.

Heh, not by us.

Did the league misclassify her? Or did she sign a weird contract? Shouldn't she be reserved?

The Mercury, for reasons surpassing understanding, declined her option

PostPosted: 10/07/21 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are CWill and Bradford a couple? Just thinking...the two of them together would instantly make Indiana into a real team. Add in the draft pick and they should be off and running.

Milks26

PostPosted: 10/07/21 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, they're not. But, they could always tag team their way unto a team

PostPosted: 10/08/21 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Love your work.

Heh, not by us.

The Mercury, for reasons surpassing understanding, declined her option

Yeah, as pilight said, they didn't take up the team option that all rookie-scale deals have in their fourth year. Normally you'd be reserved if out of contract after three years in the league, but being out of contract due to a team declining your option is a special case. You become an unrestricted free agent.

Luuuc was kidding. The mistake was Phoenix's.

PostPosted: 10/08/21 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Are CWill and Bradford a couple? Just thinking...the two of them together would instantly make Indiana into a real team. Add in the draft pick and they should be off and running.

Hard pass. I don't think Williams is any better than K Mitchell. Both are good enough to be the best players on bad teams, and second/third options on good teams. I would much rather keep the player we have.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/08/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell and Williams could play together. I'd take that gamble if I was Indy. Players as good as Williams don't become available for nothing all that often, and she still has room to improve if she ever finds a coach that she'll listen to. Even in the year where we gave her credit for finally taking some threes, she took 168 more shots from the 16-21ft range than anyone else in the league. Which is insane. If a coach could ever convince her to turn a big chunk of those into threes/drives, she could take a leap.

Admittedly, I have trouble believing that that coach could be Marianne Stanley.

PostPosted: 10/08/21 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Hard pass. I don't think Williams is any better than K Mitchell. Both are good enough to be the best players on bad teams, and second/third options on good teams. I would much rather keep the player we have.

I actually think CWill is better than KMitch, but agree with Richyyy they could coexist on same team. They have quite different games. And it would give Indy that much more actual talent to work with. I think Bradford would also be a useful piece as well - at a position where they could use some help.

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/08/21 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on what she posted recently, it sounds like Bradford is pretty upset about the whole video fiasco. I don't think she's too pleased with Courtney Williams right now. Crystal finally made a roster this season and performed really well. Being brought back next year seemed like a sure thing. Suddenly, she is back in limbo without a job. My guess is that Bradford still hooks on with another team, but now there is an element of uncertainty that didn't have to exist.

We still don't know how the fight got started. Did some group come out of nowhere and suddenly challenge Williams? Bradford said she only got involved to protect Courtney who was "outnumbered." It makes me wonder who these attackers are who would take on a party of four that included 3 professional athletes. Courtney is small by basketball standards, but a good-sized, athletic woman in real life. Bradford is big and muscular, and Kalani is flat-out ginormous. Who are these knuckleheads who started the fight, and what were they thinking?

Anyway, if this was actually self-defense, should the team be so hard on the players now? Was their reaction in May more appropriate? Yes, posting the video and making light of it was dumb. That deserves some kind of rebuke, but costing players their jobs seems extreme to me.

PostPosted: 10/08/21 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reaction from the Dream in general made me wonder if there's more that's gone on behind the scenes that led to the statement that they wouldn't bring Williams/Bradford back. Although as usual the complete lack of leadership from anyone who knows what the hell they're doing means any decision seems plausible.

PostPosted: 10/08/21 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The reaction from the Dream in general made me wonder if there's more that's gone on behind the scenes that led to the statement that they wouldn't bring Williams/Bradford back. Although as usual the complete lack of leadership from anyone who knows what the hell they're doing means any decision seems plausible.

well we already knew that Carter and CWill would be unlikely to coexist on the same team. So maybe this is just them saying they will stick with Carter?

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/09/21 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Based on what she posted recently, it sounds like Bradford is pretty upset about the whole video fiasco. I don't think she's too pleased with Courtney Williams right now. Crystal finally made a roster this season and performed really well. Being brought back next year seemed like a sure thing. Suddenly, she is back in limbo without a job. My guess is that Bradford still hooks on with another team, but now there is an element of uncertainty that didn't have to exist.

We still don't know how the fight got started. Did some group come out of nowhere and suddenly challenge Williams? Bradford said she only got involved to protect Courtney who was "outnumbered." It makes me wonder who these attackers are who would take on a party of four that included 3 professional athletes. Courtney is small by basketball standards, but a good-sized, athletic woman in real life. Bradford is big and muscular, and Kalani is flat-out ginormous. Who are these knuckleheads who started the fight, and what were they thinking?

Anyway, if this was actually self-defense, should the team be so hard on the players now? Was their reaction in May more appropriate? Yes, posting the video and making light of it was dumb. That deserves some kind of rebuke, but costing players their jobs seems extreme to me.

"Haters"

Shades

PostPosted: 10/09/21 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
well we already knew that Carter and CWill would be unlikely to coexist on the same team. So maybe this is just them saying they will stick with Carter?

I doubt Williams and Bradford will stick together either. You know it was Williams that escalated whatever happened. It was Williams who took pride in the fighting by releasing the video. They both had secure positions until then.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
awhom111

PostPosted: 12/04/21 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missed the news out of Australia, but Leilani Mitchell will coach a team in NBL1, which runs during most of the WNBA season. She probably did not have much left, but some teams probably would have thought about it.

I wonder if she will be registered as a player too or get to coach her wife or a sister-in-law or something.
craigmont

PostPosted: 12/30/21 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2951952-ranking-the-wnbas-top-25-free-agents-in-2022

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/30/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing in another thread and craigmont here wrote:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2951952-ranking-the-wnbas-top-25-free-agents-in-2022

I don't understand why anyone would release a Top Free Agents List before we know who's gonna be cored. Five of the top six listed in this list could easily get the core designation in a few weeks, and the other one is a RFA whose team will have the final say anyway.

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/31/21 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, at least someone read my post on the other thread because they replaced the picture of Jordin Canada with a real picture of Jewell Loyd. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/31/21 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some European leagues actually have at least their tentative full schedules so I figured that could have a free agency implication or two. Quarterfinal winners in Russia could have their final games in the first week in May.

France will definitely keep players out of the start of the regular season. The last day of their regular season is scheduled for April 30th. The bottom 4 teams will not end their season until May 24th, which could be not helpful for Lexie Brown. Quarterfinal losers are scheduled to be done on the 10th or 13th with semifinals slated to end on the 21st or 24th. The finals are not supposed to end until either the 4th, 6th, or 9th of June. Nia Coffey and Sophie Cunningham are the free agents that seem likely to play in the WNBA that are on teams that could conceivably make it to that final series and miss up to a third of the regular season.

It would be interesting if either of them reaches a verbal agreement with a team to not submit the assigned contract until she is actually available to play. If neither is signed at the minimum, they can help both the team and themselves because their cap hit would be decreased by not needing to count the part where they are unavailable and they could agree to get slightly more actual cash. To use Coffey as an example using the Herhoopstats mock offseason:
They have her getting $135,000 next season. If she is not available for a third of the regular season, her cap hit is the full amount, but she would only be paid $90,000. Instead, they could agree to sign her to some amount, say $100,000 that takes effect after the 12th game. She would be paid $100,000 and the cap hit would be $100,000 plus whatever they might use to fill in for the time that she's not available. This may not work if they are chasing multi-year deals, but it's at least fun to think about.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/31/21 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a crazy crossover with the French league. Good thing there aren't too many genuine WNBA players there this year but that's a big hit to the value of Cunningham and Coffey if they're going to stick it out until the end. Johannes and Allemand are in France as well.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 2 of 21

Jump to: