RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Facebook, Instagram down worldwide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 10/04/21 2:48 pm    ::: Facebook, Instagram down worldwide Reply Reply with quote

What will millennials do?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/facebook-instagram-whatsapp-messenger-down-161653706.html?.tsrc=fp_deeplink

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 10/04/21 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Millennials have mostly moved on from facebook

PostPosted: 10/04/21 3:32 pm    ::: Re: Facebook, Instagram down worldwide Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
What will millennials do?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/facebook-instagram-whatsapp-messenger-down-161653706.html?.tsrc=fp_deeplink

Millennials? Howzbout 1000 boatloads of EVERYBODY? Razz

I just found out about it a minute ago -- doesn't really affect me, cuz I don't do either one. I did see whatsapp was down, which I'd prefer not to see, as I DO use that app occasionally.

I frequently fantasize about what our lives might look like if the entire planet was stripped of its internet/web capacity, and phones were ONLY for calling. I mean, I lived through it once, quite nicely. But it's a strange new universe these days.

I really believe there'd be some serious addiction withrawal. And of course, I'd miss Rebs. Cool

By the way, anybody see the interview with the fb whistleblower yesterday? It's all so disgusting, and on a planet-wide basis.

Last edited by Howee on 10/04/21 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 10/04/21 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Millennials have mostly moved on from facebook

I don't use Instagram and barely check Facebook. My social media outlet is Twitter. Thought Instagram(& Tik Tok) was the bigger thing these days with the young crowd

Twitter: @TBRBWAY

Last edited by toad455 on 10/04/21 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/04/21 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, no, now dad can't spend hours telling idiots on the Internet that they're idiots.

(now with spelling variations)
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/04/21 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The oldest millennials are 40.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/04/21 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Oh, no, now dad can't spend hours telling idiots on the Internet that they're idiots.

I mean - somebody has to tell them.

I'm gonna let my conspiracy flag fly and say they were wiping shit after the 60 minutes special last night..

PostPosted: 10/04/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myspace is always there for you

PostPosted: 10/05/21 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Is it though? I literally tried to log into my account once last year – even had my account name & password saved – and I think my account has been long deleted, considering they've changed owners multiple times within the past decade. I remember having some good music on my profile, too. Sad

For the record, Myspace was infinitely better than Facebook. Facebook wasn't shit back then, let alone now.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/05/21 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akgxaj/for-much-of-the-world-facebook-going-down-is-a-disaster-not-a-joke

Quote:
...Six hours isn’t long in the grand scheme of things, and Facebook was able to bring itself, WhatsApp, and Instagram back online. But the outage highlighted a vulnerability and an opportunity.

We should not let one company run this much of the world. Six hours is too long for something as important as WhatsApp to be down. In the West, we saw those six hours as a comfort. We were free from something many of us didn’t use much anyway. In the rest of the world, it was a reminder of how much power one company based in the United States has over their lives.

PostPosted: 10/05/21 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://parade.com/1273517/jessicasager/facebook-memes/

https://www.thenationalnews.com/arts-culture/2021/10/05/the-best-meme-reactions-to-whatsapp-facebook-and-instagram-going-down-as-twitter-steps-up/

PostPosted: 10/05/21 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

Is it though? I literally tried to log into my account once last year – even had my account name & password saved – and I think my account has been long deleted, considering they've changed owners multiple times within the past decade. I remember having some good music on my profile, too. Sad

For the record, Myspace was infinitely better than Facebook. Facebook wasn't shit back then, let alone now.

Here's a 2018 article about how some loyal MySpace users are still sticking around, despite the negative "ghost town" reputation.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jun/06/myspace-who-still-uses-social-network

Quote:
It’s not clear what will happen to the site when Meredith finds a buyer for Viant, but the survivors of the platform apocalypse fear for its future.

Maldonado said he’d be “absolutely heartbroken” if Myspace shuttered, but acknowledged that most people consider it to have died “years ago”.

“I’d be very depressed if it closed down, but it would free up a lot of my time,” said Scalir, before suggesting a more optimistic alternative: “Maybe it’s a site that just won’t die and will be around forever like Keith Richards.”

PostPosted: 10/06/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There’s just so much about Facebook I don’t understand. I liked it because it allowed me to reach out across the decades and connect with basically all of the people from my past. And family I had no prior connection with. That has been priceless. Alway satisfactory and soul enriching? Not hardly but you learn to take the good and the bad with the people you love.

But I don’t understand people being addicted to Facebook. Like it’s crack. Although I have always been addicted to our message boards. Like it was crack. So I’m guessing Facebook represents that same kind of connection I felt for this community for people who were slower to get online and find spaces to discuss and argue about things.

But I don’t see what’s evil about that. Has this community been damaging to me at times? Yeah. But so has real life. I’ve learned a lot and became I’m sure a much better communicator posting in these groups.

The Facebook whistleblower story is a total farce. That is suspicious and scary. I got NYTImes alert yesterday of the breaking news that she was testifying to Congress that Facebook “Put profits before people.” lol. I literally am still laughing at that one.

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
The Facebook whistleblower story is a total farce. That is suspicious and scary. I got NYTImes alert yesterday of the breaking news that she was testifying to Congress that Facebook “Put profits before people.” lol. I literally am still laughing at that one.

I have mixed feelings about that. Taking it at face value, it appears as though a conscientious professional is motivated to expose something she sees as a problem that is NOT being fixed, due to financial considerations.

I also understand your point about "putting profits before people"....that's actually The American Capitalist Way, right? Razz

But. There IS a difference between a Social Media Platform and an industry like Northrop Grumman whose profit margin (if not their entire existence) is dependent on death and destruction, a.k.a., The Military Effort.

Social Media by its very name implies a positive service for people. If its profit structure benefits from NEGATIVE impact on the lives of kids, adolescents, depressives, krazies and other vulnerable people, should they not be accountable? To do things like ban Trump or other hate-mongers is a good thing, but behind the scenes, they're cultivating harm on others in their own way.

I'm a bit of a libertarian in this matter: PEOPLE OUGHTTA BE ABLE TO SHUT THEIR OWN DAMNED DEVICES OFF WITHOUT THE GOVERNMENT SHUTTING DOWN THE 'EVIL' THINGS THEY'RE ADDICTED TO ON THOSE DEVICES. But, it's America, and humans are generally vulnerable to the addictions illustrated in this story.

PostPosted: 10/12/21 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saturday Night Live spoofed the Congressional hearings about the Facebook whistleblower. Very Happy

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/facebook-hearings-cold-open/179589859

PostPosted: 10/13/21 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Facebook and Instagram went down? Jeepers, I didn't even notice and my life was completely unaffected.

More jeepers, I didn't even notice and my life has been completely unaffected by the introduction of Facebook and Instagram, whenever that was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: