RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The best player from your state
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/22/21 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Best player from Wisconsin: it's a tossup between Janel McCarville and Megan Gustafson.

Misty Bass as well.

taropatch

PostPosted: 09/22/21 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Best player from Wisconsin: it's a tossup between Janel McCarville and Megan Gustafson.

Gustafson is darn good. When I think of Sonja Henning, I think of Wisconsin where she grew up. That Stanford guard was smoother than her running mate, Azzi. Glad she got a taste of life in the pro ranks after law school at Duke.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/23/21 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Misty Bass as well.

Also Hannah Whitish from that tiny powerhouse of Barneveld, WI.

PostPosted: 09/23/21 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Wisconsin, Arike Ogunbowale may challenge for the title eventually, but she needs to gain control. She’s definitely got the fire.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/23/21 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Okay, so first of all: are we going to count New York City and New York State separately?

Oh my, during WWII it was taught that NYC was part of NYS, but maps all over the world have changed so much since then that maybe NYC is now a separate kingdom.

Assuming that, who is the best player to have been born in NYC and attended all four years of high school in NYC?

More challengingly, name the best players who were born in NYC and attended all four years of high school in each of NYC's five boroughs? I have my nomination for Staten Island, which is a borough of NYC but has never really wanted to be.
blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 09/23/21 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to give DC a try:

best DC native player, Sugar Rodgers

best DC college player, Rebekkah Brunson (Georgetown)

Open to debate, of course, as was my intention with thread. In other words, you can define geography, residency, state school, etc however you want.

One might find it interesting, for example, to compare best basketball player from Prince George's county vs. Baltimore city in Maryland. Or, best basketball player in the DC metro area of DC/MD/VA.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/23/21 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only player from Oregon that comes to mind is Mercedes Russell though Cameron Brink may give her a go for the title.
Best from an Oregon University - probably Ionescu
From my alma mater - Nneka, but Jennifer Azzi is up there too.

willtalk

PostPosted: 09/23/21 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being from California there are just too many players to pick from.

PostPosted: 09/23/21 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Okay, so first of all: are we going to count New York City and New York State separately?

Oh my, during WWII it was taught that NYC was part of NYS, but maps all over the world have changed so much since then that maybe NYC is now a separate kingdom.

Assuming that, who is the best player to have been born in NYC and attended all four years of high school in NYC?

More challengingly, name the best players who were born in NYC and attended all four years of high school in each of NYC's five boroughs? I have my nomination for Staten Island, which is a borough of NYC but has never really wanted to be.

Rolling Eyes We both know that the cultural divide between upstate and downstate NY is strong enough that the only reason they're not two different states is that no one can decide who gets dibs on the name and who gets stuck with Staten Island. While many other states have deep regional divides (east/west in Washington and Oregon, north/south and coastal/inland in California, UP/mitten in Michigan, etc.) I'm parochial enough to believe that New York's is unusually bitter. We both also know that NYC is not representative of NYS as a whole. But if you don't want to give upstate a fair shot, hey, cool.

Does the player have to have attended high school in her home borough (i.e. if she was born in Brooklyn and attended high school in Manhattan, she's not eligible)?

PostPosted: 09/23/21 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going for the trifecta since I don't think anyone else lives up here.

Vermont...

The state...Nicole Levesque. 2 state titles in HS, played at Wake Forest where she was on the ACC All-freshman Team and subsequently ACC Second Team x2, played one year for the Sting. Not too bad for a tiny, non-basketball state.

UVM...Karalyn Church, holds numerous school records incl all-time scoring leader, America East POY x2, jersey retired, multiple academic awards, went on to medical school. Canadian, like most of UVM's best players.

New Hampshire...

The state...Kerry Bascom. UConn...8th on all-time scoring list, BE POY x3, UConn's first AA, led team to first FF.

UNH...This is a hard one. Their scoring leader, Kris Kinney, and their Wade Trophy finalist, Corinne Gulas, both played in the mid-80's and info is sparse. TBH, Dartmouth has always had a much better team.

Maine...

The state and UMaine...Cindy Blodgett. Multi-record holder incl. 3005 career points, national scoring leader x2, Amer East POY x2, led team to first 4 NCAAT appearances. Played for Rockers and Monarchs.

taropatch

PostPosted: 09/23/21 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The only player from Oregon that comes to mind is Mercedes Russell though Cameron Brink may give her a go for the title.

Lindsey Yamasaki (Oregon City). Her Stanford teams made the dance but never went deep.

A submit a third to go with Nneka and Azzi: Kristin Folkl (and volleyball too)

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/23/21 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kate Starbird?!?

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 09/23/21 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd agree Texas is between Griner and Swoopes

Louisiana is tough. There's Spoon, Lawrence, Kelly and Sophia Young -- I guess I'd lean toward Spoon, but there's an argument for Kelly (3 time AA)

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/23/21 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisiana: Seimone Augustus. Maybe, much as I disliked her both when she was playing and as a coach, Kim Mulkey.

PostPosted: 09/23/21 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Does the player have to have attended high school in her home borough (i.e. if she was born in Brooklyn and attended high school in Manhattan, she's not eligible)?

Your parenthetical player would qualify as a Manhattan player in the NYCBGOAT Challenge. Birth in NYC is a prerequisite, but high school determines the borough for award purposes.

I nominate Nicky Anosike as the NYCBGOAT for Staten Island. I believe she was born in Brooklyn but attended high school in Staten Island while residing in Staten Island.

I also nominate the Queens winner of the NYCBGOAT, whoever that is, as the overall NYCGOAT.
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/23/21 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Lindsey Yamasaki (Oregon City). Her Stanford teams made the dance but never went deep.

Multi-Olympian Cindy Brown.she prepped in Portland.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/23/21 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Your parenthetical player would qualify as a Manhattan player in the NYCBGOAT Challenge. Birth in NYC is a prerequisite, but high school determines the borough for award purposes.

I nominate Nicky Anosike as the NYCBGOAT for Staten Island. I believe she was born in Brooklyn but attended high school in Staten Island while residing in Staten Island.

I also nominate the Queens winner of the NYCBGOAT, whoever that is, as the overall NYCGOAT.

Where would Nancy Lieberman fit in here?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/23/21 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut raised and high schooled:

> Coming out of high school = Tracy Lis

> Total career = Nykesha Sales
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/23/21 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I'd say she was in a three-way race for Queens NYCBGOAT, but Queens is not my jurisdiction.

I'd further say the Queens NYCBGOAT is not only the NYCGOAT, but is in a battle with Sue Bird and Breanna Stewart for NYSGOAT.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/23/21 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Being from California there are just too many players to pick from.

Not being from California, other than having lived in Malibu and San Jose, I will easily pick Diana Taurasi since I believe her to be the Solar System's GOAT.
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/23/21 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
myrtle wrote:

yes, Kristin was amazing. I liked Starbird too but don't think she was quite in the same category as the other three.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/23/21 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I'd say she was in a three-way race for Queens NYCBGOAT, but Queens is not my jurisdiction.

I'd further say the Queens NYCBGOAT is not only the NYCGOAT, but is in a battle with Sue Bird and Breanna Stewart for NYSGOAT.

Lieberman is a deep cut, but I'm going to go with Holdsclaw.

PostPosted: 09/26/21 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan’s an interesting one. Twins Pamela and Paula McGee might have been the best. They won 2 state championships at Flint Northern high school and 2 national championships at USC. Deanna Nolan would be another consideration.

As to players at the flagship university, I think we’re seeing the best now in Naz Hillmon at Michigan and recently saw Aerial Powers at Michigan State.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/27/21 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For my state, I'd be obliged to give the nod to Dawn Staley; Alyssa Thomas is, to me, the more impressive player but hasn't had the longevity in career that Dawn has had, nor did she have the success at the collegiate level that Dawn had.

I don't really know what school is considered our *flagship* university in wbb, so I won't venture a nomination. PA certainly had some great teams, especially in the early years (Immaculata, Cheyney).

As probably no one will speak up for our near neighbor, Delaware, I shall do the easy cherry-picking here and nominate Elena Delle Donne for statewide GOAT. Cool

PostPosted: 09/28/21 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
For my state, I'd be obliged to give the nod to Dawn Staley; Alyssa Thomas is, to me, the more impressive player but hasn't had the longevity in career that Dawn has had, nor did she have the success at the collegiate level that Dawn had.

I don't really know what school is considered our *flagship* university in wbb, so I won't venture a nomination. PA certainly had some great teams, especially in the early years (Immaculata, Cheyney).

As probably no one will speak up for our near neighbor, Delaware, I shall do the easy cherry-picking here and nominate Elena Delle Donne for statewide GOAT. Cool

Alyssa Thomas is my favorite player, and I followed Dawn as a player since I was a child, so I really appreciate your response, Howee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: