RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Salary Cap/Free Agencies for Dummies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/21/21 6:44 am    ::: Salary Cap/Free Agencies for Dummies Reply Reply with quote

So, some of the knowledge by certain posters is quite impressive to me. I will not lie though, I don't have the time or or dedication to really study the salary cap.free agency situation, so I have a few questions.

First-how on earth does LV have their roster and Indiana have theirs? Like, how is that a thing? I know they lucked out hard and drafted well and I assume that Plum, Wilson, and Young are all still on rookie contracts-but when you throw in Hamby, Gray, Cambage, Williams, and Angel....like how is that even a thing? How do they afford that? How long before they will start losing some of those players?

If Maya ever decides to come back, what does that do to Minnesota?

I saw in the Mystics thread that Washington can't afford MHA, EDD, Tina, and Emma? How come they can't but again, back to the Aces?

Thanks in advance.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/21/21 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The salaries are all laid out clearly in Richyyy's exhibit at Her Hoop Stats:

https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap-sheet/wnba/summary/

Next year's salary cap is $1,379,200. As a rule of thumb, a team can probably afford 5 expensive salaries, and then you have to pay at least 6 more players to reach the roster minimum of 11. So, Washington has four expensive players under contract in EDD, Clark, Cloud, and Atkins. They can probably afford one more, whether it be Charles, Meesseman or Hines-Allen. LVA currently has Cambage, Gray, McCoughtry, Plum and Hamby. Wilson and Young are on cheap rookie contracts, and Riquna is arguably underpaid by a lot. Hamby is also underpaid. Next year, Hamby actually gets cheaper! Only Gray and Plum are guaranteed big salaries. Cambage needs to be resigned, but I doubt McCoughtry comes back. Wilson is an RFA and due for a huge pay raise. Riquna will probably need a raise too.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Next year's salary cap is $1,379,200. As a rule of thumb, a team can probably afford 5 expensive salaries, and then you have to pay at least 6 more players to reach the roster minimum of 11. So, Washington has four expensive players under contract in EDD, Clark, Cloud, and Atkins. They can probably afford one more, whether it be Charles, Meesseman or Hines-Allen. LVA currently has Cambage, Gray, McCoughtry, Plum and Hamby. Wilson and Young are on cheap rookie contracts, and Riquna is arguably underpaid by a lot. Hamby is also underpaid. Next year, Hamby actually gets cheaper! Only Gray and Plum are guaranteed big salaries. Cambage needs to be resigned, but I doubt McCoughtry comes back. Wilson is an RFA and due for a huge pay raise. Riquna will probably need a raise too.

Hamby's agent needs to be slapped. That was a TERRIBLE deal she signed!🙄

PostPosted: 09/21/21 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

It would be nice if the negative cap space was applied to a subsequent season. I don't suppose it does though.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
It would be nice if the negative cap space was applied to a subsequent season. I don't suppose it does though.

You mean if you had space left allow teams to carry it over and use that space in future years? The NFL has a system like that but for all their weird and unknown bylaws the WNBA tries to keep things relatively simple in a lot of ways. Carrying over space would complicate things. Also, you'd get teams trying to be extremely cheap in years where they weren't going to win anything. We already had Indiana playing with 7 or 8 players down the stretch this season because there wasn't much point in wasting money on more hardship players - imagine how early in the season practices like that would start if they got to keep that cash to throw at free agents in following years.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: