RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Byington to the Bucks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 09/16/21 4:10 am    ::: Byington to the Bucks Reply Reply with quote

https://www.wtva.com/content/national/575325812.html?ref=812

Quote:
Lisa Byington has been hired by the defending NBA champion Milwaukee Bucks as the team's television play-by-play announcer for games on Bally Sports Wisconsin, the Bucks announced Wednesday.

The move makes Byington the first woman hired as a full-time TV play-by-play announcer for a major men's professional sports team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/16/21 6:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw this news release on Instagram yesterday. Bucks fans ears will be suffering this season. That mute button will get a LOT of work.

PostPosted: 09/16/21 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I saw this news release on Instagram yesterday. Bucks fans ears will be suffering this season. That mute button will get a LOT of work.

I could not agree more. She's atrocious.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/16/21 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like her well enough. Maybe it's just familiarity since I'm used to her from the Big Ten Network.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/16/21 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I could not agree more. She's atrocious.

yep I'm on this side of things. She pretty much just never says anything, including so called play-by-play. She always sounds like she is so busy being prim and proper that she forgets to say anything meaningful. But I hope she does well at her new job and maybe learns something about actually calling play-by-play.

Last edited by myrtle on 09/16/21 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/16/21 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I like her well enough. Maybe it's just familiarity since I'm used to her from the Big Ten Network.

...and I didn't like her on B1G either. Very Happy

craigmont

PostPosted: 09/16/21 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just listened to some of her games, what's the problem?

Obviously there's a huge history of women play-by-play announcers getting hate no matter what they do.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/16/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebkell complains about every announcer.

I knew y'all would have a field day with this one.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/16/21 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the solution to that would be to have a sound channel or option that allows the fans to hear a good reproduction of the actual sounds in the arena - the PA announcer, and fan cheering/booing, whatever. If you go to a game you don't get a play by play or analyst to talk during the game. Might be worth exploring. It would be a kind of virtual attendance option.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 09/16/21 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SWEEEEEEET! Now I can watch B1G games in peace.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/16/21 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:

Obviously there's a huge history of women play-by-play announcers getting hate no matter what they do.

Not on my end-

I think Beth Mowins and Pam Ward are fantastic.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/16/21 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Rebkell complains about every announcer.

Wrong.

We don't just complain about every announcer. We complain about everyone.

PostPosted: 09/16/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
craigmont wrote:

Not on my end-

I think Beth Mowins and Pam Ward are fantastic.

Yes they are quite good. and both have gotten better over time. I always appreciate improvement. And I like, or at least appreciate, a number of the 'color' folks as well. La China is one of my favs. Too bad she is stuck with Atlanta.

- Amanda Gorman
undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/16/21 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Maybe the solution to that would be to have a sound channel or option that allows the fans to hear a good reproduction of the actual sounds in the arena - the PA announcer, and fan cheering/booing, whatever. If you go to a game you don't get a play by play or analyst to talk during the game. Might be worth exploring. It would be a kind of virtual attendance option.

Sounds like you're talking about the Announcerless game.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/16/21 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Randy wrote:

I watched part of that game when it happened. It was an interesting experiment.

PostPosted: 09/16/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Announcing the women's game is definitely different than the men's game. On an average broadcast, announcers of a men's game are actually willing to criticize what's going on on the court. "This player needs to work on his outside shot, here's what it is & here's the average," or "This defense isn't working, here's where the coach could make an adjustment." I find it more objective on the whole, where the lighter moments (such as bench antics or a non-spectacular dunk) tend to stand out more. Or, the broadcast is 100% hype; I'm fine with that style as well. Hopefully Lisa Byington will end up more or less conforming to something like these.

Meanwhile, announcers of the women's game either don't take the game in front of them seriously and/or they're afraid to criticize #TheirGirls. First: Know the names & the facts of who you're watching (and then proceed to talk about them specifically). And second: For. The. Love. Of. GodandalsoJesus, stop coddling these players who are grown-ass adults. Criticizing the level of basketball in front of you is not being mean. It is nothing that the average player wouldn't tell themselves or wouldn't hear from Coach.

This is what happens in a small women's League where everyone's already a little too chummy with each other. Confused

Randy

PostPosted: 09/17/21 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Randy wrote:

I watched part of that game when it happened. It was an interesting experiment.

May be an idea whose time has come. I wouldn't mind just a play by play guy. Indiana and Tulsa did that I believe. Part of the problem with that is the teams want to make the games a 2 hour infomercial touting their team and players.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/17/21 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Announcing the women's game is definitely different than the men's game. On an average broadcast, announcers of a men's game are actually willing to criticize what's going on on the court. "This player needs to work on his outside shot, here's what it is & here's the average," or "This defense isn't working, here's where the coach could make an adjustment." I find it more objective on the whole, where the lighter moments (such as bench antics or a non-spectacular dunk) tend to stand out more. Or, the broadcast is 100% hype; I'm fine with that style as well. Hopefully Lisa Byington will end up more or less conforming to something like these.

Meanwhile, announcers of the women's game either don't take the game in front of them seriously and/or they're afraid to criticize #TheirGirls. First: Know the names & the facts of who you're watching (and then proceed to talk about them specifically). And second: For. The. Love. Of. GodandalsoJesus, stop coddling these players who are grown-ass adults. Criticizing the level of basketball in front of you is not being mean. It is nothing that the average player wouldn't tell themselves or wouldn't hear from Coach.

This is what happens in a small women's League where everyone's already a little too chummy with each other. Confused

I could not agree more. The media isn't the media anymore. Everyone is friends with everyone. It's absurd. I can't say this enough, listen to Monica McNutt-she is the most horrendous of them all.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/17/21 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

I could not agree more. The media isn't the media anymore. Everyone is friends with everyone. It's absurd. I can't say this enough, listen to Monica McNutt-she is the most horrendous of them all.

The funny thing is, while I found McNutt really annoying the first few times I heard her, I've actually kind of warmed up to her shtick. She actually has some interesting things to say and provides some laughs. You just have to look at it as entertainment rather than commentary. Still I don't leave it on for very long.

And yes, Stormeo nailed it. Anybody listening to our games for the first time would just think it was an all-girls fan club. And for me, it's really annoying when they don't talk about the game that is happening in front of them. Ok, throw in your gossipy tidbits during timeouts if you want, but at least focus on what's happening in front of you while the game is going on.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/17/21 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

May be an idea whose time has come. I wouldn't mind just a play by play guy. Indiana and Tulsa did that I believe. Part of the problem with that is the teams want to make the games a 2 hour infomercial touting their team and players.

Minnesota's play by play guy was really good. Was sorry when he left for greener pastures. The Tulsa guy however was hilarious - remembering he couldn't pronounce the players names and he got lots of stuff wrong.

But in general I really like the idea of a primary play by play guy/gal. Maybe have a commentator working with him/her that only fills in the bigger gaps with tidbits, but otherwise keeps their mouth shut.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: