RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/08/21 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Good luck to her. One thing missing from her job description is hiring and/or firing coaches and GMs. So hopefully a GM announcement will be coming. Experienced, successful WNBA GMs are pretty scarce and the good ones already have jobs.

Penny Toler is available...

PostPosted: 09/08/21 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:
Good luck to her. One thing missing from her job description is hiring and/or firing coaches and GMs. So hopefully a GM announcement will be coming. Experienced, successful WNBA GMs are pretty scarce and the good ones already have jobs.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/08/21 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:
Dream names NFL Executive and Sports Industry Veteran Morgan Shaw Parker as President and Chief Operating Officer

https://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-names-nfl-executive-and-sports-industry-veteran-morgan-shaw-parker-as-president-and-chief-operating-officer

It may not be in there specifically, but if you're calling someone 'President' then they're probably going to be pretty involved in picking a GM at least. Managing 'human resources' is in the list, so that could cover it if they wanted it to.

Sienko was President/GM, so this appears to be a different framework regardless. Hopefully they get someone in within the next 3-4 months or so to actually run team operations, because free agency and contract signings needs someone to be making decisions.

Perhaps this is a sign that they'll just do the whole Head Coach/GM combo thing that some organizations do, which, Confused I'm one of those that believes one person sharing both of those job titles is a conflict of interest – though if this organization is really as screwed up as some people 'round here say it is... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/08/21 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Perhaps this is a sign that they'll just do the whole Head Coach/GM combo thing that some organizations do...

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised, especially if they go with a retread. Pokey Chatman, maybe? Someone like that getting both roles wouldn't be a shock.

PostPosted: 09/08/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just glad to see neither Isiah T. nor Marynell is walking through that door.

This ought to quell any suspicions of a team move outside of Georgia for awhile, too. Here's hoping for the best of decisions to be made in the months ahead.

~lw3

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/21 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Penny is probably too radioactive to be hired but they might be able to away with hiring her as a behind the scenes consultant. The Sparks were quite successful under her.

Pokey Chapman also seems like someone they might consider. The Sky and Fever did better under her than her replacements.

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 09/10/21 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Side news: Longtime CPK Mayor who helped bring the Dream and G-Leagye Skyhawks to his town passes away due to COVID-related illness.

https://www.ajc.com/news/obituaries/jack-longino-68-long-time-college-park-mayor-dies/26AX7CJ26ZFNBDUTL3TO6LE47I/

~lw3

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/10/21 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're looking for someone to wear both hats who isn't a retread, Olaf Lange has a lot of WNBA experience. That's necessary for the GM role, and Lange was a successful head coach overseas. Now, if you're willing to gamble on a totally fresh face, there's Tom Hovasse who was the big success story of the Olympics. Having guided an undersized Japanese team to a silver medal, Hovasse might even find a use for Mike Peterson's "four point-guard-sized humans." A team looking for some creativity should at least give Hovasse an interview. This assumes ownership hasn't decided on principle that they have to hire a woman.

PostPosted: 09/10/21 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somebody who has been a WNBA head coach and a GM is Trudi Lacey.

Oh, wait, she's a retread... Razz

PostPosted: 09/10/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point, they really could do worse than Pokey Chatman, though. At least people think Chatman is a decent guard developer (Slooty, KMitchell, etc.), whether this team tries to build around Carter (if she stays) or McDonald (if Carter goes) moving forward.

dreamfan11

PostPosted: 10/07/21 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="dreamfan11"][quote="pilight"]Collen was going to be gone anyway after the Dream went 13-19 or so this year. This gives them a head start on the search for the next one.[/quote]

[b]I will bet anyone the Dream will be a playoff team - losers can not post for 2 months....anyone in? They positioned the team in the offseason with some good free agents...will be fun to watch.[/b][/quote]

I just recalled sending this Smile I lose. So, I am taking my two months starting after today - but I have had about enough of the Dream anyway - and I was big on the Sun winning it all, and that didn't happen either. So, I must pay my dues. Thank you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: