RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will the Big 12 survive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/20/21 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Sources -- Pac-12, Big Ten, ACC discussing formation of alliance, likely around scheduling

Quote:
[Pac-12 commissioner] Kliavkoff also met last week with Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, whose league is reeling from the impending departures of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC.

Sources said the Big 12 is not currently included in discussions surrounding an alliance with other Power 5 conferences.

UPDATE: Sources say the ACC, Big Ten, and Pac-12 will announce an alliance in the next 7-10 days.

Quote:
The scope of the alliance remains uncertain, according to one AD. While initial conversations involved all sports, recent discussions have focused solely on football and men's and women's basketball.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 08/20/21 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/pac-12-open-to-possible-expansion-new-commissioner-says-2423684/

Very interesting this was dropped around the same time, with a similar timeline, to the scheduling alliance talks. The part that gets me the most is the mystery "some you'd be surprised by" have contacted us. Maybe BYU joins as football only and Gonzaga joins in every other sport. Maybe someone like TAMU/Mizzou/Arkansas are very unhappy with SEC expansion. Heck, maybe even WVU has reached out to them. The possibilities are endless and it's got my interest peaked again lol

PostPosted: 08/20/21 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/pac-12-open-to-possible-expansion-new-commissioner-says-2423684/

Very interesting this was dropped around the same time, with a similar timeline, to the scheduling alliance talks. The part that gets me the most is the mystery "some you'd be surprised by" have contacted us. Maybe BYU joins as football only and Gonzaga joins in every other sport. Maybe someone like TAMU/Mizzou/Arkansas are very unhappy with SEC expansion. Heck, maybe even WVU has reached out to them. The possibilities are endless and it's got my interest peaked again lol

PostPosted: 08/25/21 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Sources -- Pac-12, Big Ten, ACC discussing formation of alliance, likely around scheduling

Quote:
[Pac-12 commissioner] Kliavkoff also met last week with Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, whose league is reeling from the impending departures of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC.

Sources said the Big 12 is not currently included in discussions surrounding an alliance with other Power 5 conferences.

UPDATE: Sources say the ACC, Big Ten, and Pac-12 will announce an alliance in the next 7-10 days.

Quote:
The scope of the alliance remains uncertain, according to one AD. While initial conversations involved all sports, recent discussions have focused solely on football and men's and women's basketball.

Not much info, but the alliance has been announced now.
https://www.wishtv.com/sports/acc-big-ten-pac-12-form-alliance-for-scheduling-policy/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/26/21 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Pac-12 has announced it will not be pursuing expansion at this time.

Quote:
Following consultation with our Presidents, Chancellors and Athletic Directors, the Pac-12 Conference has made the decision to not pursue expansion of our membership at this time. This decision was made following extensive internal discussion and analysis, and is based on the current competitive strength and cohesiveness of our 12 universities. It is also grounded in our confidence in our ability as a conference to best support our student-athletes and to grow and thrive both academically and athletically.

Keeping the newly formed alliance with the Big Ten & ACC in mind, I wonder if those two conferences will eventually release respective statements on expansion as well. The Big 12 continues to be left in limbo/up for grabs perhaps.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 08/26/21 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The Pac-12 has announced it will not be pursuing expansion at this time.

Quote:
Following consultation with our Presidents, Chancellors and Athletic Directors, the Pac-12 Conference has made the decision to not pursue expansion of our membership at this time. This decision was made following extensive internal discussion and analysis, and is based on the current competitive strength and cohesiveness of our 12 universities. It is also grounded in our confidence in our ability as a conference to best support our student-athletes and to grow and thrive both academically and athletically.

Keeping the newly formed alliance with the Big Ten & ACC in mind, I wonder if those two conferences will eventually release respective statements on expansion as well. The Big 12 continues to be left in limbo/up for grabs perhaps.

ACC has pledged support for Big 12 expansion and retaining A5 status. B1G hasn't explicitly stated it, but seems to be of the same mindset. PAC probably can't afford to add teams and split money into even smaller portions. They seem to want to keep the Big 12 A5 solely for cushion in voting against the SEC.

As for the Big 12, they are already exploring expansion, and have brought Oliver Luck(former XFL commisioner/WVU AD) as a consultant. This leads me to believe the Big 12 is thinking bigger up front than just adding 4 of the 6 G5 schools of value.

PostPosted: 08/28/21 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the B12 will go after two teams immediately--probably BYU and Cincinnati. They might try to get them into the league as quickly as possible. It wouldn't hurt if a new team or two gave OU or UT an L on the way out.

They might not expand further until OU and UT actually leave. Then I think they add at least two more teams.

No one -- including a lot of the other SEC schools -- wants to leave UT and A&M as the only power 5 schools in Texas. Even those two underachievers would have a hard time failing in that situation.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/28/21 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At what point does it not matter who the B12 adds? They are going to look a lot more like CUSA or the Mountain West an the SEC or ACC.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 08/29/21 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
At what point does it not matter who the B12 adds? They are going to look a lot more like CUSA or the Mountain West an the SEC or ACC.

Once UT & OU move, nobody is going to match up well with the SEC, including the Big 10. So, no the B12 won't look good in that comparison. OTOH, the ACC is hardly a colossus. They are mostly Clemson and the 13 dwarves in football, at least until FSU finally rebuilds. None of the other teams in the ACC would be intimidating as additions to the B12.

Losing OU certainly costs in terms of football, but the other B12 schools (sans KU) have been consistently pretty good.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 09/02/21 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems that the Big 12 is focused of adding 4 specific teams right now:

1. BYU
2. Cincinnati
3. Houston
4. UCF

In terms of viewership, all 12 schools would be in the top 70 for viewership. It also adds 4 new markets to replace the 2 lost. When comparing the viewership rankings of each Conference, this conference would still be comparable to the PAC and ACC.

Top 20:
ACC-2(ND is top 10 but not included in this #)
B1G-5
Big 12-1
PAC-1
SEC-10

21-40:
ACC-3
B1G-4
Big 12-4
PAC-6
SEC-3

41-60:
ACC-6
B1G-3
Big 12-5
PAC-4
SEC-1

61-73:
ACC-3
B1G-2
Big 12-2
PAC-1
SEC-2

In terms of average conference viewership from 2015-2019(i believe I got every team averaged in):

ACC-987,500
-In a much more dire situation than Big 12 if Clemson/FSU ever do decide to
leave

B1G-1.52 million
-Possibly the most stable of the conferences currently, but is fully eclipsed by
the SEC now

Big 12-885,000
-The 4 potential additions should see a boost, and even without OU/Texas
games, the Big 12 schools were still relatively high. New markets should give
them the opportunity to grow the brand.

PAC-998,000
-They're stuck in their markets for better or worse. A Big 12 with BYU enters
the market space of the PAC and could damage one of their bigger tv draws
in Utah.

SEC-1.973 million
-They will bring in the most viewers and have the most elite teams. But with
so many top brands, several top 30 teams who won't have a chance to
compete in the SEC now might be contemplating taking themselves and the
money they can draw in tv deals to more competitive ground.

PostPosted: 09/02/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:

1. BYU
2. Cincinnati
3. Houston
4. UCF

In terms of viewership, all 12 schools would be in the top 70 for viewership. It also adds 4 new markets to replace the 2 lost. When comparing the viewership rankings of each Conference, this conference would still be comparable to the PAC and ACC.

Top 20:
B1G-5
Big 12-1
PAC-1
SEC-10

21-40:
ACC-3
B1G-4
Big 12-4
PAC-6
SEC-3

41-60:
ACC-6
B1G-3
Big 12-5
PAC-4
SEC-1

61-73:
ACC-3
B1G-2
Big 12-2
PAC-1
SEC-2

In terms of average conference viewership from 2015-2019(i believe I got every team averaged in):

ACC-987,500
leave

B1G-1.52 million
-Possibly the most stable of the conferences currently, but is fully eclipsed by
the SEC now

Big 12-885,000

PAC-998,000
in Utah.

SEC-1.973 million

Man-the Big 12 in women's basketball is going to be UGLYYYYY-and what will the American do now? What a crazy world it is in college athletics.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 09/02/21 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

1. BYU
2. Cincinnati
3. Houston
4. UCF

Top 20:
B1G-5
Big 12-1
PAC-1
SEC-10

21-40:
ACC-3
B1G-4
Big 12-4
PAC-6
SEC-3

41-60:
ACC-6
B1G-3
Big 12-5
PAC-4
SEC-1

61-73:
ACC-3
B1G-2
Big 12-2
PAC-1
SEC-2

ACC-987,500
leave

B1G-1.52 million
the SEC now

Big 12-885,000

PAC-998,000
in Utah.

SEC-1.973 million

Man-the Big 12 in women's basketball is going to be UGLYYYYY-and what will the American do now? What a crazy world it is in college athletics.

Ugly out of the gate for sure. The biggest concern/biggest potential for the conference is the upcoming coaching changes. Iowa State, OK State, WVU, and BYU should all be looking for new coaches within the next 7 years. The Kansas schools, TCU, and Houston will most likely be looking for new coaches before that. We also have to see how each school takes advantage of the bigger recruiting grounds. I still think they begin to pursue other A5 schools behind the scenes, which could be an immediate boost.

If this happens, Boise becomes the top dog among G5 schools, so I'd see the power dynamic shift back to the Mountain West. Memphis, USF, and SMU might be able to capitalize enough to keep any semblance of monetary value to the AAC. Gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out. Rumor is that ESPN basically wants the Big 12 to disband, surrender A5 status, and join the AAC(who they already have a longer term deal with). I don't see Cincinnati, UCF, Houston, or BYU giving up this opportunity when presented.

PostPosted: 09/03/21 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
ucbart wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

1. BYU
2. Cincinnati
3. Houston
4. UCF

Top 20:
B1G-5
Big 12-1
PAC-1
SEC-10

21-40:
ACC-3
B1G-4
Big 12-4
PAC-6
SEC-3

41-60:
ACC-6
B1G-3
Big 12-5
PAC-4
SEC-1

61-73:
ACC-3
B1G-2
Big 12-2
PAC-1
SEC-2

ACC-987,500
leave

B1G-1.52 million
the SEC now

Big 12-885,000

PAC-998,000
in Utah.

SEC-1.973 million

Ugly out of the gate for sure. The biggest concern/biggest potential for the conference is the upcoming coaching changes. Iowa State, OK State, WVU, and BYU should all be looking for new coaches within the next 7 years. The Kansas schools, TCU, and Houston will most likely be looking for new coaches before that. We also have to see how each school takes advantage of the bigger recruiting grounds. I still think they begin to pursue other A5 schools behind the scenes, which could be an immediate boost.

If this happens, Boise becomes the top dog among G5 schools, so I'd see the power dynamic shift back to the Mountain West. Memphis, USF, and SMU might be able to capitalize enough to keep any semblance of monetary value to the AAC. Gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out. Rumor is that ESPN basically wants the Big 12 to disband, surrender A5 status, and join the AAC(who they already have a longer term deal with). I don't see Cincinnati, UCF, Houston, or BYU giving up this opportunity when presented.

I will absolutely love it if the B12 doesn't do what ESPN wants and they're stuck with that shit conference, known as the American for years to come.

I feel bad for Jose Fernandez at USF-he should really try and get out of there and find a P5 or BE job next year.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/03/21 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:

1. BYU
2. Cincinnati
3. Houston
4. UCF

And the application process appears to be moving fast. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32141325/byu-houston-ucf-cincinnati-planning-submit-applications-big-12-sources-confirm

Quote:
[Those four] schools could be approved for admission as early as a Sept. 10 meeting of Big 12 presidents, according to Sports Illustrated, which first reported the story…

American Athletic Conference bylaws require schools to give a 27-month notice before they leave and pay a $10 million buyout fee. In that scenario, joining by the 2023 season would be a long shot, but an earlier exit and higher buyout could be negotiated. The most realistic timeline, sources said, is 2024.

I’d ask if we needed to start a “Will the AAC survive?” thread, but I truly don’t think any of us care a whole lot what happens to that conference. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The AAC would go from 11 schools to 8 schools, unless they either do some out-of-conference recruiting of their own, or merge with another conference (gee, wouldn’t it make sense for the AAC to merge with Conference USA? Call it the “SuperAmerican Conference” or something. Laughing ).

BYU leaving the WCC would leave that conference with just 9. It’ll be interesting to see how that plays out here in the west (I highly doubt it makes a school like their mortal enemy Utah leave the Pac-12, but maybe something smaller.) Perhaps this shock wave of moves will continue to work its way down the FBS/Div. I pecking order.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 09/03/21 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

1. BYU
2. Cincinnati
3. Houston
4. UCF

And the application process appears to be moving fast. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32141325/byu-houston-ucf-cincinnati-planning-submit-applications-big-12-sources-confirm

Quote:
[Those four] schools could be approved for admission as early as a Sept. 10 meeting of Big 12 presidents, according to Sports Illustrated, which first reported the story…

American Athletic Conference bylaws require schools to give a 27-month notice before they leave and pay a $10 million buyout fee. In that scenario, joining by the 2023 season would be a long shot, but an earlier exit and higher buyout could be negotiated. The most realistic timeline, sources said, is 2024.

I’d ask if we needed to start a “Will the AAC survive?” thread, but I truly don’t think any of us care a whole lot what happens to that conference. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The AAC would go from 11 schools to 8 schools, unless they either do some out-of-conference recruiting of their own, or merge with another conference (gee, wouldn’t it make sense for the AAC to merge with Conference USA? Call it the “SuperAmerican Conference” or something. Laughing ).

BYU leaving the WCC would leave that conference with just 9. It’ll be interesting to see how that plays out here in the west (I highly doubt it makes a school like their mortal enemy Utah leave the Pac-12, but maybe something smaller.) Perhaps this shock wave of moves will continue to work its way down the FBS/Div. I pecking order.

Mid-major basketball, men's and women's, has been the 2nd biggest concern beyond Oklahoma State. I hope realignment doesn't ruin the underdogs of March Madness.

PostPosted: 09/03/21 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

1. BYU
2. Cincinnati
3. Houston
4. UCF

Quote:

Mid-major basketball, men's and women's, has been the 2nd biggest concern beyond Oklahoma State. I hope realignment doesn't ruin the underdogs of March Madness.

PostPosted: 09/10/21 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So yes, the Big 12 is officially welcoming BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF into its conference.

BYU will officially begin competing in the Big 12 in the 2023-24 season in virtually all sports. It has not been determined yet when the other three new members will begin, but it's possible that they will as early as the 2023-24 season as well.

As for the AAC, who is losing the most members here out of anyone, it is "expected" to hunt for new members.

Quote:
Although the conference hasn't made any statements about which teams it plans to go after, likely targets for the AAC would include top teams from the Mountain West, such as Boise State; Conference USA, such as UAB; or the Sun Belt.

Speaking of the Sun Belt, they put out a statement (as seen at the bottom of the article linked above) saying they're open to doing some hunting of their own.

Imo, an underrated winner of this realignment process will be Gonzaga wbb, whose only real WCC-wide competition in recent years has been BYU.

Last edited by Stormeo on 09/10/21 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/10/21 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
So yes, the Big 12 is [url=https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32182361/big-12-votes-accept-adding-byu-cincinnati-houston-ucf-conference]officially welcoming BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF into its conference.

I'm sorry, but that's not a major conference.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/10/21 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
So yes, the Big 12 is officially welcoming BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF into its conference.

The other three Power 5 conferences not directly involved in the initial UT&OU move banded together and said 'paws off our schools.' Trying to recoup the quality the Big 12 lost was never gonna happen after that, so it seems they're opting to make the loss up with quantity instead. Imo this really was the best the Big 12 could do if disbanding the conference was never on the table.

Now, when it comes to wbb? The Big 12's definitely not gonna be taken seriously on Selection Mondays anymore lol. I can see it eroding into a 3- or even 2-bid League, especially if Nicki Collen can't come close to the high standard Kim Mulkey left behind at Baylor.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/11/21 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

The other three Power 5 conferences not directly involved in the initial UT&OU move banded together and said 'paws off our schools.' Trying to recoup the quality the Big 12 lost was never gonna happen after that, so it seems they're opting to make the loss up with quantity instead. Imo this really was the best the Big 12 could do if disbanding the conference was never on the table.

Now, when it comes to wbb? The Big 12's definitely not gonna be taken seriously on Selection Mondays anymore lol. I can see it eroding into a 3- or even 2-bid League, especially if Nicki Collen can't come close to the high standard Kim Mulkey left behind at Baylor.

I'm reading the JMU board, and there are people on there literally obsessing about whether JMU will go to some FBS conference, either the Sun Belt or C-USA. They would rather have JMU as a bottom tier FBS school than a top tier FCS one. The same folks literally screamed at me when I mentioned, a couple of years ago, that the JMU women were right at the top of the women's mid-major Top 25. "Don't call us a mid-major!!!" And they would rather go out in the first round of the NCAA than make it to the semis of the WNIT (in a series of really thrilling games, may I add). I do not get it. Don't try to be something you're not.

PostPosted: 09/11/21 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
So yes, the Big 12 is [url=https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32182361/big-12-votes-accept-adding-byu-cincinnati-houston-ucf-conference]officially welcoming BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF into its conference.

I know UCONN isn't in that much better of a place than it was in the American, as far as women's hoops goes, but thank goodness we left for the Big East when we did. The BE is so much better for the men's program and a successful men's team will always help the women in Storrs.

I don't intend to turn this into a UCONN thread, but I had to get that off my chest. We have been just killed in conference realignment and being in the American would've surely been the death of the UCONN WBB program when Geno leaves.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/12/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Yeah, we might as well call it the Power 4 from now on.

PostPosted: 09/12/21 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does the conference make the schools or do the schools make the conference?

PostPosted: 09/12/21 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Does the conference make the schools or do the schools make the conference?

Hmmm. Well, as I think of it, UConn was not definitively improved by the AAC, nor did UConn's presence seem to turn the AAC into a powerhouse. And there's Gonzaga in the WCC -- pretty much the same, no?

PostPosted: 09/13/21 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Yeah, we might as well call it the Power 4 from now on.

Well, the future B12 is 3-0 against the Pac-12 so far this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: