RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

June Daugherty Passed Away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/18/21 5:43 pm    ::: June Daugherty Passed Away Reply Reply with quote

Like 2 weeks ago. Did nobody see it or did nobody care?

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31959313/june-daugherty-coached-women-basketball-washington-washington-state-dies-64

"“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd." --Nikki Haley
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/18/21 7:02 pm    ::: Re: June Daugherty Passed Away Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31959313/june-daugherty-coached-women-basketball-washington-washington-state-dies-64

Whoa. I had no idea. May she RIP.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/18/21 8:57 pm    ::: Re: June Daugherty Passed Away Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Hmmm. Well, Mechelle V. did....apparently espn didn't see fit to tout the story in their headlines.
Most unfortunate....RIP.

PostPosted: 08/19/21 6:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hadn't heard this news until now. RIP and condolences to her family and friends.
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/19/21 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad very sad. I never thought she was a great coach, but she was a very upbeat, caring person. blessings out to her family.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/19/21 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Daugherty took UW to 6 NCAA Tourney appearances in her 11 years here as coach (’96 to ’07), and though that was before I started following the program, she couldn’t have been that bad. She never found a ton of success at WSU, but then again, few coaches at WSU have over these past several decades. I do recall being somewhat surprised at the time that WSU fired her, since the program seemed to be doing marginally better than they had been before under her leadership, fwiw.

RIP, Coach.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/20/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was so young. How sad.

Thank you for sharing the news.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/20/21 11:59 am    ::: Re: June Daugherty Passed Away Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Hmmm. Well, Mechelle V. did....apparently espn didn't see fit to tout the story in their headlines.
Most unfortunate....RIP.

Either that, or perhaps most of us (and ESPN) were probably paying more attention to the Tokyo Olympics at the time.

Anyway, RIP to Coach Daugherty. But I am curious what was the cause of her death.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: