RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 USA U19 Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/08/21 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think ASU has a good one coming in with Aussie Jade Melbourne.

I don't disagree but it looks bad when you foul out at the beginning of the 4Q.

awhom111

PostPosted: 08/08/21 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Who are the foreigners that are draft eligible? Anyone we should pay attention to?

Mali's Sika Kone, Australia's Jade Melbourne, and Hungary's Reka Dombai are the top three 2022 prospects there. We will have to wait until club season to sort out which French players are real prospects, I think.

myrtle wrote:

She actually changed her mind and opted to turn pro.
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/08/21 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I don't disagree but it looks bad when you foul out at the beginning of the 4Q.

I thought she was clearly their best player, so maybe trying too hard - she did seem to be everywhere on the court. Too bad she's going pro - I would have liked to see her in the P12.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/10/21 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA vs. Egypt

2:30pm ET

Boxscore: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19women/2021/game/1008/Egypt-USA

Livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-d_J-XxEq4

USA beat Australia 99-59 while Australia beat Egypt 99-28... so you can imagine how today's game will go.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/10/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

myrtle wrote:

She actually changed her mind and opted to turn pro.

Good for her. A player of her offensive talent would have been mismanaged by CTT.

2025 prospects Dominika Paurova of Czechia and Olairi Kosu of Russia have been dominant through group phase. Keep an eye on them.

Why did Mali forfeit their first game?

PostPosted: 08/10/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game is a bloodbath with USA leading 55-19 at half. Clark leading the team with 8 assists and a 28 +/-. Fudd hasn't missed, with 13 points on 5 shots. Everyone has seen minutes except Jewel Spear who DNP last game as well. UConn recruit Amari DeBerry seems to be the last post on the depth chart but I'm not sure why.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/10/21 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Why did Mali forfeit their first game?

I did some digging and learned their head coach was arrested just last week for some pretty sickening reasons. I'm not sure if it was related to their forfeit though.

Mali basketball coach arrested and charged over alleged sexual assault of teenage players

Quote:
Malian basketball coach Amadou Bamba has been arrested and charged for sexual assault and harassment of teenage female players.

The 51-year-old allegedly abused at least three players and then stunted their careers when they refused to have sex with him.

Judicial authorities jailed the coach on July 26, and he is now awaiting trial for "paedophilia, attempted rape and molestation," per Newsline.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/10/21 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a game for padding stats.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/10/21 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Oh please. Did you even watch?

Stat padding implies one player is taking a disproportionate amount of shots or playing a disproportionate amount of minutes to try to dump their numbers up. Neither happened today.

USA has 7 guards on the roster. Spear hasn't played the last two games (maybe a mild injury). That leaves 6 guards. USA plays 3 guards and 2 forwards at any given time. That leaves approximately 40x3=120minutes to distribute amongst the guards, an average of about 20min/guard if everyone receives equal playing time. Maybe a bit more than 20 since we do a 4out/1in offense sometimes. Here were the minutes breakdown for the guards today:

Clark 24:16
Johnson 24:00
Fudd 22:23
PaoPao 21:45
Citron 21:00
Verhulst 17:49

Verhulst was the outlier today, but she's even a starter and has played more minutes on other days. So you could hardly have asked for a more equal minutes distribution.

In terms of shots, everyone took between 3 and 11. Would you rather USA just lets the shot clock expire once they get too far ahead? Or not play defense?

linkster

PostPosted: 08/10/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
linkster wrote:

Stat padding implies one player is taking a disproportionate amount of shots or playing a disproportionate amount of minutes to try to dump their numbers up. Neither happened today.

USA has 7 guards on the roster. Spear hasn't played the last two games (maybe a mild injury). That leaves 6 guards. USA plays 3 guards and 2 forwards at any given time. That leaves approximately 40x3=120minutes to distribute amongst the guards, an average of about 20min/guard if everyone receives equal playing time. Maybe a bit more than 20 since we do a 4out/1in offense sometimes. Here were the minutes breakdown for the guards today:

Verhulst was the outlier today, but she's even a starter and has played more minutes on other days. So you could hardly have asked for a more equal minutes distribution.

In terms of shots, everyone took between 3 and 11. Would you rather USA just lets the shot clock expire once they get too far ahead? Or not play defense?

I wasn't talking about any player. The entire team was padding stats. I saw posts left alone under the basket on 3 consecutive possessions. UConn had tougher games in the AAC. This game was a total mismatch.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/10/21 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
linkster wrote:

I wasn't talking about any player. The entire team was padding stats. I saw posts left alone under the basket on 3 consecutive possessions. UConn had tougher games in the AAC. This game was a total mismatch.

Curious for a time stamp on that. I thought the shot selection was very good. 40 made FG on 34 assists.

awhom111

PostPosted: 08/10/21 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bracket:
United States vs Taiwan
Spain vs Japan
Italy vs Hungary
Brazil vs Czech Republic
Australia vs Argentina
France vs Canada
Egypt vs Russia
South Korea vs Mali

No official word on the Mali forfeit, but travel or testing delays would seem most likely under current circumstances. FIBA is providing private security for this team and their U16s and I really hope that they are able to enjoy this tournament as they have already demonstrated that they are a very strong team.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/11/21 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA (3-0) vs. Chinese Tapei (0-3)
11amET/10amCT
Round of 16: Elimination Game

Boxscore: http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19women/2021/game/1108/USA-Chinese-Taipei#

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSWxzecQTUc

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/11/21 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Betts getting the start over Lauren Ware. It's about time...

Paopao
Citron
Clark
Fudd
Betts

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/11/21 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

35-11 after the first quarter. Just hope no one gets hurt in a game like this.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/11/21 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Spear must be injured since she's a DNP.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/11/21 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Spear must be injured since she's a DNP.

I'm wondering if she is in quarantine. May not be positive but a contact.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/12/21 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't been able to watch. Is Fudd good?

At the risk of invoking the wrath of UConn nation, I've always been concerned that she's the most over-hyped player ever to play 2 1/2 years of high school ball. Not her fault. I mean, the media and UConn board hype and expectations have been so Himalayan high and unprecedented that no one is likely to be able to live up to it.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/12/21 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

At the risk of invoking the wrath of UConn nation, I've always been concerned that she's the most over-hyped player ever to play 2 1/2 years of high school ball. Not her fault. I mean, the media and UConn board hype and expectations have been so Himalayan high and unprecedented that no one is likely to be able to live up to it.

From what I’ve seen, she looks legit. A great shooter for sure, also a good passer, we’ll see how good of a defender she can become under Geno. You’re right about the sky high expectations, and also the presence of Beuckers. She (Paige) was much better than I think anyone anticipated, we constantly heard that Azzi was better, so those are some lofty expectations.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/12/21 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA (4-0) vs. Spain (3-1)
Friday, August 13 at 2:30pm ET
Quarterfinal Elimination Game

Link to Boxscore

Link to Livestream

This should be the toughest game so far.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/12/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

In this tourny they haven't really been pressured yet, so it's currently about how she looks in blowouts. She looks like she fits, but doesn't look better than most of her teammates here. She looks comfortable at this level. Moves well. Shoots well. I don't think defense is anything any of these girls have learned much about, including her, so that is yet to be seen. I think she'll do ok next level but hard to see her being better than Paige. Best thing will be if they can be a good tandem. Paige will take some of the pressure off her in the immediate timeframe, which is always helpful for a rookie.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/12/21 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

While there are those who are expecting greatness for her (myself included) there are as many doubting Thomas' on the CT board as there were for Bueckers. A lot.
Geno has stated that he has never seen an incoming freshman with such perfect fundamentals in all phases of the game. He as also stated that she has the footwork of a player entering the WNBA. He wouldn't put that load on a player unless it was true. There are No 1 recruits like Megan Walker, Katie Samuelson, Christyn Williams, and then there are No 1 recruits like Maya Moore and Paige Bueckers. I see Fudd as more like the later two. She also has the luxury of not being expected to lead in her first year.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/12/21 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, Coach Close has been impressed enough by Fudd to move her into the starting lineup. Starters were the first game were Clark, Paopao, Spear, Verhulst, and Ware. By the game against Taiwan, Fudd, Citron, and Betts had replaced the latter three in the starting lineup. (Spear seems to be either injured or out due to COVID contact tracing protocols, but the other decisions appear to be based on in-game performance.)

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/12/21 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Linkster, I'm personally not much interested in what Geno has said about Fudd in the past. I'm more interested in how experienced and objective fans see her in actual games today.

There were a ton of full game and highlight videos available on Pistol Paige all during her four year high school career, and it was obvious to me from watching her that she would be elite in college. Compared to Bueckers, there's relatively little full game footage on Fudd for the past two years because of her injuries, surgery, recovery, and Covid.
Shades

PostPosted: 08/13/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gonna have to remember Claudia Contell for the 2023 draft. 🤔

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: