RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Quentin Hillsman accused/has resigned/hired in Spain/Not!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/02/21 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hillsman has resigned

https://cuse.com/news/2021/8/2/statement-from-director-of-athletics-john-wildhack-regarding-womens-basketball-program.aspx

PostPosted: 08/03/21 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Hillsman has resigned

https://cuse.com/news/2021/8/2/statement-from-director-of-athletics-john-wildhack-regarding-womens-basketball-program.aspx

This is crazy-

As some of you may know, or maybe not, I live in downtown Syracuse and am the partner of a restaurant here that the players come to. They are the nicest group of young women that you could ever want to meet. I hate that this has happened and I really hope that Syracuse can land a coach that can take the to new heights. Q can certainly recruit, but his in game coaching was just abysmal. I just thought players were leaving because he was a terrible coach and talent developer.

Syracuse should've acted way faster than this. This place is a tough job. There is almost zero local HS talent here and the weather is tough. I'm still renewing my season tickets though.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/03/21 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:
Hillsman has resigned

This is crazy-

As some of you may know, or maybe not, I live in downtown Syracuse and am the partner of a restaurant here that the players come to. They are the nicest group of young women that you could ever want to meet. I hate that this has happened and I really hope that Syracuse can land a coach that can take the to new heights. Q can certainly recruit, but his in game coaching was just abysmal. I just thought players were leaving because he was a terrible coach and talent developer.

Syracuse should've acted way faster than this. This place is a tough job. There is almost zero local HS talent here and the weather is tough. I'm still renewing my season tickets though.

Not to mention the women's team has pretty abysmal fan support. And the weather SUCKS. My dad taught there for 5 years before accepting a far better job at Tennessee.

What Hillsman is accused of, a male coach can do with male players. A female coach can do (to a minimal extent) with female players. But very questionable boundaries here......

PostPosted: 08/05/21 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two athletic dept administrators, incl one who had oversight of the women's teams, are no longer employed at Syracuse. The school declined to discuss the reasons.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2021/08/syracuse-confirms-2-more-athletic-administrators-no-longer-employed-amid-womens-basketball-investigation.html

NFL1

PostPosted: 08/05/21 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="undersized_post"][quote="PG4ever"]
undersized_post wrote:
[quote="Today I was watching an old recording of Vic Schaefer's press conference and there are some highlights that show him at one point talking to a player as she comes off the court; he's close to her face and presses his cheek against her (#24 Danberry) face. Here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH0k3CpTu28. Somewhere around the 11:32 mark. Is that inappropriate? I don't think Schaefer meant any harm but that might have made that player feel uncomfortable. The case against Hillsman may end up being cut and dry against him but it's not always cut and dry.

This is the kind of situation I first thought of when some accuse of inappropriate touching...and I see the Vic example as ok, and within the context of the game - assuming she came off after making a terrific play.

NFL1

PostPosted: 08/05/21 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:
Hillsman has resigned

This place is a tough job. There is almost zero local HS talent here and the weather is tough. I'm still renewing my season tickets though.

I live in Ithaca, about an hour south, and do drive up for some games (admittedly more when they were in the Big East)... but saying almost zero local talent? I'd think Syracuse could easily draw talent from all over the state, Ohio and New England... and Brianna Stewart was a local that went to UConn. There is loads of talent in the Greater Metro NY area - many would love to attend a great academic institution like Syracuse.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/05/21 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NFL1 wrote:
This is the kind of situation I first thought of when some accuse of inappropriate touching...and I see the Vic example as ok, and within the context of the game - assuming she came off after making a terrific play.

Heck, I've seen Kim Mulkey all but French Kiss a player or 3. And how many coaches do the 'butt pat' thing?

Unfortunate. But....from the outcome viewpoint, There really needed a to be a change-up. He was just not reaching the winning records that his recruited talent deserved.

PostPosted: 08/07/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NFL1 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:
Hillsman has resigned

This place is a tough job. There is almost zero local HS talent here and the weather is tough. I'm still renewing my season tickets though.

I live in Ithaca, about an hour south, and do drive up for some games (admittedly more when they were in the Big East)... but saying almost zero local talent? I'd think Syracuse could easily draw talent from all over the state, Ohio and New England... and Brianna Stewart was a local that went to UConn. There is loads of talent in the Greater Metro NY area - many would love to attend a great academic institution like Syracuse.

By local talent, I meant the greater Central NY area. And, Stewie is the exception, not the rule, clearly.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/07/21 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
NFL1 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:
Hillsman has resigned

By local talent, I meant the greater Central NY area. And, Stewie is the exception, not the rule, clearly.

New England doesn't have a lot of talent to draw from either. Last year there were only 3 N.E. players on top-25 teams, and only 2 of those got significant playing time. That kind of pool isn't going to get Syracuse to the FF.

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/07/21 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NFL1 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:
Hillsman has resigned

Yup-this is very much a soccer and lacrosse heavy area.

New England doesn't have a lot of talent to draw from either. Last year there were only 3 N.E. players on top-25 teams, and only 2 of those got significant playing time. That kind of pool isn't going to get Syracuse to the FF.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 08/07/21 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://cnycentral.com/sports/college/who-will-take-over-syracuse-orange-womens-hoops-3-candidates-to-replace-quentin-hillsman

Interesting candidate speculation from local news. Seem to be pessimistic on getting a knock out hire(or just don't care enough about the women's program to put much thought into it, or a combo)

PostPosted: 08/08/21 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
https://cnycentral.com/sports/college/who-will-take-over-syracuse-orange-womens-hoops-3-candidates-to-replace-quentin-hillsman

Interesting candidate speculation from local news. Seem to be pessimistic on getting a knock out hire(or just don't care enough about the women's program to put much thought into it, or a combo)

Given the reasons for Hillsman leaving, I would think any assistant under him would be pretty automatically disqualified for the hire.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 08/08/21 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Given the reasons for Hillsman leaving, I would think any assistant under him would be pretty automatically disqualified for the hire.

I agree. I also don't see them hiring a man for the permanent position. Personally, I think they'll go after Leggette-Jack, since she's got enough ties to the area to want to remain long-term. It's the safe choice, but a riskier one at the same time.

PostPosted: 09/03/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://dailyorange.com/2021/09/quentin-hillsman-hiring-spain/

"Former Syracuse women’s basketball head coach Quentin Hillsman has been hired by Club Baloncesto Leganés, a professional club in Madrid, Spain."

lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/05/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/collegebbscoop/status/1434611866161004544?s=21

Quote:
Former Syracuse WBB coach Quentin Hillsman's job in Spain has fallen through, with the official statement from the club citing "problems related to his work permit" (per Google Translate version of the statement) cbleganes.es/web/noticia-43…

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/05/21 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From 2 stories which appear to have suffered translation by a bot.

Quote:
“We are overwhelmed, saddened and devastated by the negative repercussion that the announcement of his signing has had,” acknowledges the president of the club in conversation with EL PAÍS. “We requested legal reports, we made inquiries, we collected testimonies from his university and there is nothing concrete against him. As soon as something is proven, we would take action on the spot. We take a big risk, but we are not kamikazes ”, explains Ramos, 52 years old and founder of the club in 2006. And why take that risk that has overshadowed the illusion for the debut in the elite? “Because of the extreme difficulty of finding a coach 20 days before the start of the season and because of the sporting leap involved in signing a coach of this level,” replied the president of Leganés. “Hillsman’s last salary was $ 1 million, which is way more than our entire budget. He decided to withdraw after the appearance of those testimonies, he was without a team and, through his representation agency, with whom we have already signed more players, the possibility arose ”, continues Ramos.

Quote:
The difficulties in obtaining his work visa in time to start the league (which starts in 20 days) and the negative repercussion generated by the announcement of his signing, due to the open investigation against the coach for his alleged “inappropriate behavior” with various players, have led Leganés to break the agreement reached with Hillsman for one season. The American coach was targeted since leaving the Syracuse team last month after 15 years on the bench. Eleven players applied for the transfer at the end of the season and denounced Hillsman’s behavior that included vulgar and threatening language in his dealings with the players, kisses on the forehead and despotic attitudes.

https://www.archysport.com/2021/09/endesa-womens-league-leganes-settle-the-hillsman-case-with-the-hiring-of-angel-fernandez-julia-as-new-coach-sports/

LitePal

PostPosted: 02/22/22 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is the first first person account of the turmoil at Syracuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4YQRS0oDJo

Fitzmaurice's personal story about her struggle with depression and ultimate triumph once she transferred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRznYhSuR58

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/23/22 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good grief that was hard to listen to! Not only the account of Hillsman's behavior, but that girl's delivery. I have several grandchildren in that age group and I can testify that they do not all speak that way.

Aside from that, if her account of Hillsman's behavior is in any way accurate, one has to wonder if he has some kind of undiagnosed mental illness. Those actions would certainly indicate that he does.

PostPosted: 02/23/22 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Good grief that was hard to listen to! Not only the account of Hillsman's behavior, but that girl's delivery. I have several grandchildren in that age group and I can testify that they do not all speak that way.

Aside from that, if her account of Hillsman's behavior is in any way accurate, one has to wonder if he has some kind of undiagnosed mental illness. Those actions would certainly indicate that he does.

Also, there were several administrators in positions to help stem his behavior who did not exercise authority. Many did not perform their duty, even when student athletes started transferring out. It took the article in The Atlantic to get some of these entities to act.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/23/22 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Also, there were several administrators in positions to help stem his behavior who did not exercise authority. Many did not perform their duty, even when student athletes started transferring out. It took the article in The Atlantic to get some of these entities to act.

Sounds remarkably like Duke, where WBB didn't seem to be a priority either.

PostPosted: 02/24/22 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Sounds remarkably like Duke, where WBB didn't seem to be a priority either.

This DWB fan agrees with this 100%. To say longtime DWB fans were disgusted by JPM's antics would be a vast understatement. Players and families had been reporting JPM's abusive behaviors to AD White since her first year at Duke. And she just kept getting bigger contracts. I had been reporting what I knew throughout, though honoring requests to keep identities private. Because players and family members did not want repercussions against the student-athlete to extend after they left Duke, I was accused of posting "rumors" and unsubstantiated facts. Trust and believe every single horrid thing I posted, I heard directly from a parent. Much more awful things I couldn't share because the action taken would identify the student-athlete. The very last thing I would ever do would be to bring further harm to the student athletes who endured abuse from JPM, but stayed to get the Duke degree.

~rAf
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/24/22 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The part about the racist / bully teammate Shocked. Not too hard to figure out who she's talking about, either.

PostPosted: 02/24/22 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
The part about the racist / bully teammate Shocked. Not too hard to figure out who she's talking about, either.

Do tell. I'd have no idea. Shocked

PostPosted: 02/24/22 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

I'll pm you Howee

PostPosted: 02/24/22 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Go pull up last years roster and there's no doubt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: