RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 06/30/21 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kind of odd a pro sports is needed to get a gaming license - seems like a way make the sport more sleazy. $66 M is the headline number - there may be a lot of details in the fine print on this deal.....

SCook

PostPosted: 07/02/21 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A nice read about the mercury's shooting woes.

https://thenext.substack.com/p/mercury-searching-for-solution-to?r=a4cm&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email&utm_source=copy

"Griner’s been shooting at a 54.2% clip from the midrange."

"...she’s already doubled her career total from deep with two 3-pointers made (in fact, she’s tied for the team lead in 3-point percentage at 33.3% with Taurasi, though Taurasi is 14-for-42)."

PostPosted: 07/07/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since every Mercury game thread turns into a demand for Brondello's head, I ask;

Who would you want to replace her? Who could tap BG's potential and raise the team to their talent level?

Neither of my picks are remotely plausible but I'd love to see Lambert coach Griner and DT.

I'd also love to see the return for Cheryl Miller!

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 07/20/21 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mercury are now playing at Footprint Center. The photos show the Mercury logo but there is no mention of the team in the article. I heard about it because I got an email to join the zoom meeting to announce the partnership.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/16/phoenix-suns-arena-will-be-called-footprint-center.html

Speebs56

PostPosted: 07/20/21 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
The Mercury are now playing at Footprint Center. The photos show the Mercury logo but there is no mention of the team in the article. I heard about it because I got an email to join the zoom meeting to announce the partnership.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/16/phoenix-suns-arena-will-be-called-footprint-center.html

I must have missed something along the way, but can anyone clarify for me whether the facility where Merc play was previously Talking Stick? Or is this a completely different facility (Suns Arena, now Footprint Center)?

Thanks-

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/20/21 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:

I must have missed something along the way, but can anyone clarify for me whether the facility where Merc play was previously Talking Stick? Or is this a completely different facility (Suns Arena, now Footprint Center)?

Thanks-

All the same place.

PostPosted: 07/20/21 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:

Thanks-

All the same place.

Thanks!!

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/20/21 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Since every Mercury game thread turns into a demand for Brondello's head, I ask;

Who would you want to replace her? Who could tap BG's potential and raise the team to their talent level?

Neither of my picks are remotely plausible but I'd love to see Lambert coach Griner and DT.

I've wanted a dream team of Lambert/DT for years now. Laughing

I'd love Bridget Pettis too, but I think she's doing a lot of social justice work now.

PostPosted: 07/21/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Assuming you mean Laimbeer?

Miller was a great motivator, but not a great Xs and Os tactician.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/21/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Assuming you mean Laimbeer?

Miller was a great motivator, but not a great Xs and Os tactician.

Yes, I knew that looked wrong. Laughing

Btw: despite the loss, the men’s team has a special player in Booker. I hope people appreciate the craziness what he did in his first playoffs.

PostPosted: 07/22/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Btw: despite the loss, the men’s team has a special player in Booker. I hope people appreciate the craziness what he did in his first playoffs.

I feel for him. He's probably smarting pretty bad. On top of that, he will be in USA basketball camp with two of the guys that beat him. SMDH...

Wild idea, don't shoot me... If Geno could be convinced to give it a shot, what about him?
Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/22/21 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I feel for him. He's probably smarting pretty bad. On top of that, he will be in USA basketball camp with two of the guys that beat him. SMDH...

Wild idea, don't shoot me... If Geno could be convinced to give it a shot, what about him?

Luckily those 2 guys are 2 of the most humble players in the league

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/01/21 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In seven games since returning from the Olympic break, Skylar Diggins-Smith is averaging 19.6 points and 5.7 assists per game, while shooting 58.8 percent from the floor, 60.0 percent from three, and 82.4 percent from the free throw line.

mercfan

PostPosted: 09/01/21 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
In seven games since returning from the Olympic break, Skylar Diggins-Smith is averaging 19.6 points and 5.7 assists per game, while shooting 58.8 percent from the floor, 60.0 percent from three, and 82.4 percent from the free throw line.

It's hard to believe that she couldn't get any court time in Tokyo. She has been by far the best guard in the world over the last month.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/01/21 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
It's hard to believe that she couldn't get any court time in Tokyo. She has been by far the best guard in the world over the last month.

I second that. What makes it even worse, to me, is that they pulled the same crap on her the last Olympics.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/01/21 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
mercfan wrote:

I second that. What makes it even worse, to me, is that they pulled the same crap on her the last Olympics.

To be fair when she did get any burn during the olympics she played like a deer in the headlights. Post Olympic Skylar was not the same player for team USA.

PostPosted: 09/01/21 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
mercfan wrote:

To be fair when she did get any burn during the olympics she played like a deer in the headlights. Post Olympic Skylar was not the same player for team USA.

I think when you enter the game with 1:12 left, it's easy to look out of place or unfocused.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/01/21 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
mercfan wrote:

To be fair when she did get any burn during the olympics she played like a deer in the headlights.

I thought so too.
And she wasn't alone.
Something wasn't quite right with Team USA's whole team culture right from the get go IMO. But as individuals they had such an advantage over every other country that it didn't matter.

PostPosted: 09/02/21 2:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her numbers were also pretty great before the Olympics too but that gets lost because the Mercury were losing more then they do now.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/02/21 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I think when you enter the game with 1:12 left, it's easy to look out of place or unfocused.

Yep. I agree. Her body was cooled down to a certain degree sitting on the bench that long, no matter what methods they used to stay prepared.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/02/21 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
mercfan wrote:

To be fair when she did get any burn during the olympics she played like a deer in the headlights.

I thought so too.
And she wasn't alone.
Something wasn't quite right with Team USA's whole team culture right from the get go IMO. But as individuals they had such an advantage over every other country that it didn't matter.

Dawn's instant "I'm not coming back" suggests the same.

PostPosted: 09/02/21 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How Basketball Couple Diana Taurasi and Penny Taylor Created an Eco-Friendly Nursery

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/basketball-couple-diana-taurasi-and-penny-taylor-eco-friendly-nursery

Quote:
They’re now preparing for the arrival of their second child, a daughter due in October.

I really wasn't expecting an article about W players in Architectural Digest

PostPosted: 09/02/21 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was it even public that Taylor's pregnant again? If not, Architectural Digest breaking the news is crazy.

PostPosted: 09/03/21 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Was it even public that Taylor's pregnant again? If not, Architectural Digest breaking the news is crazy.

Yeah it was mentioned in another article somewhere a couple weeks ago

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/03/21 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yeah it was mentioned in another article somewhere a couple weeks ago

nice article.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: