RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Australian Opals 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/18/21 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, we're gonna cancel the Olympics in the name of Liz? What a legend.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/18/21 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Damn, we're gonna cancel the Olympics in the name of Liz?

No, we're gonna cancel the Olympics in the name of, nobody appears to actually want the Olympics.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/18/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

No, we're gonna cancel the Olympics in the name of, nobody appears to actually want the Olympics.

I feel like the global viewing figures starting in a couple of days, never mind the interest of the people competing, are going to rather disagree with that.

PostPosted: 07/18/21 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Or, alternatively, let the IOC buy an island somewhere, and let that become the full-time, permanent home of the Olympics.

That's the way the ancient Olympics worked. They didn't have an island, but the games were at the same site every four years for nearly 1200 years

PostPosted: 07/18/21 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I feel like the global viewing figures starting in a couple of days, never mind the interest of the people competing, are going to rather disagree with that.

DISCLAIMER: Some of Silky Johnson's posts may be hyperbolic.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/18/21 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
That's the way the ancient Olympics worked. They didn't have an island, but the games were at the same site every four years for nearly 1200 years

They could even maintain the "host nations" tradition, having it rotate between different countries, who get to determine the theme of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, and whatnot.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/19/21 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basketball Australia Statement re. Liz Cambage.
Quote:
The circumstances surrounding the incident that occurred during the scrimmage between Nigeria and Australia involving Liz Cambage are currently under investigation for a breach of the integrity framework and code of conduct.

As Liz has withdrawn from the Olympic Games due to mental health reasons we will not make any comments on the status of the investigation until the matter is concluded.

The investigation is being managed by Basketball Australia’s Integrity Division.

https://tokyo2020.aus.basketball/liz-cambage-investigation/

PostPosted: 07/19/21 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://australia.basketball/integrity/

Quote:
The National Integrity Framework is the umbrella term for the suite of policies, educational materials and other resources that establish basketball’s perimeter against corruption.

That looks mostly focused on cheating in various ways but they do have:
Quote:
Basketball is a source of national pride

All australians should be proud of how we play the game and conduct ourselves both on and off the court.

Last edited by tfan on 07/19/21 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/19/21 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Basketball Australia Statement re. Liz Cambage.
Quote:
The circumstances surrounding the incident that occurred during the scrimmage between Nigeria and Australia involving Liz Cambage are currently under investigation for a breach of the integrity framework and code of conduct.

As Liz has withdrawn from the Olympic Games due to mental health reasons we will not make any comments on the status of the investigation until the matter is concluded.

The investigation is being managed by Basketball Australia’s Integrity Division.

https://tokyo2020.aus.basketball/liz-cambage-investigation/

No problem! I'm sure that this thread will continue to be the beacon of civil discourse that it has been, the last few pages, until those findings are published! [/sarcasm]

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/19/21 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Toyota just pulled all of it's commercials from the Japan broadcasts.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/olympics/tokyo-2020-sponsor-toyota-pulls-olympics-tv-ads-public-support-n1274326

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/19/21 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
pilight wrote:

They could even maintain the "host nations" tradition, having it rotate between different countries, who get to determine the theme of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, and whatnot.

There's also this:
https://www.popsci.com/science/permanent-olympic-stadium/

In the US we tend to like the idea of hosting...but only when it doesn't actually impact us. A west coast Olympics means the rest of the country gets to be tourists and have the prestige of being the host...without actually having to host. In a smaller country like Japan, their entire lives are upended pretty much country wide.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
In a smaller country like Japan, their entire lives are upended pretty much country wide.

Speaking as someone from an even smaller country that hosted the Olympics fairly recently, nah, they're really not.

You can certainly argue the costs aren't worth it, but lives upended country-wide? No.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
justintyme wrote:
In a smaller country like Japan, their entire lives are upended pretty much country wide.

Speaking as someone from an even smaller country that hosted the Olympics fairly recently, nah, they're really not.

You can certainly argue the costs aren't worth it, but lives upended country-wide? No.

You all didn't have congestion, increased traffic, streets with limited access, etc? I was basing this on the fact that when the Twin Cities hosted the Superbowl, it was insanely annoying to try and do anything in the area. With the Olympics being in multiple cities and even more people for a longer period of time, I would expect that it would beyond aggravating for people just trying to live their daily lives.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
justintyme wrote:

You all didn't have congestion, increased traffic, streets with limited access, etc? I was basing this on the fact that when the Twin Cities hosted the Superbowl, it was insanely annoying to try and do anything in the area. With the Olympics being in multiple cities and even more people for a longer period of time, I would expect that it would beyond aggravating for people just trying to live their daily lives.

Sure, a bit, for two weeks, in London (and the vast majority of the disruption was central and east London, with not much in the rest of it). But if all your city is hosting is a couple of soccer games, or the water park for the canoeing, it's not going to be much. About 85% of the UK doesn't live in London and most of them probably could've happily ignored the whole thing. Over 85% of the Japanese population doesn't live in Tokyo, and while they've spread out the Games a little more, a large proportion of those people can probably ignore it all if they want, too.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aren't they now banning spectators at these Olympics? That should eliminate the flood of tourists, which greatly reduces congestion.

PostPosted: 05/07/22 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/vincerugari/status/1523105197525929989?s=21&t=n_krF0D8WahAyGxK2-dhLA

Quote:
Kelli revealed what Liz said against Nigeria in that pre-Olympics game: ‘Go back to your third world country’. Jenna O’Hea confirmed that was 100% accurate.

Video of O’Hea in link below

https://twitter.com/tyson_whelan/status/1523119681250672640?s=21&t=n_krF0D8WahAyGxK2-dhLA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: