Board Junkies Forums

To Comets fans going to see S.A today
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/05 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

one4dthumb wrote:
Futurama wrote:
If I had to compare SL to a player right now I would pick DeMya Walker.

I haven't seen her but based on what I've been hearing that's who I was thinking. The only thing is folks... Demaya ain't no track star! Shocked

PostPosted: 05/03/05 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Futurama wrote:
Anyone know if Sancho knows Sophia Young? I know Sophia has been here since she was 15 but they're both from St. Vincent and Sancho is only 2 months older than Sophia. Maybe the Comets can draft Sophia next April too.

I thought Young was only a soph?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/05 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
one4dthumb wrote:
Futurama wrote:
If I had to compare SL to a player right now I would pick DeMya Walker.

That's a good comparison. Apparently, I go blank when trying to think of things like this.

I was having the same problem trying to compare Sancho to another player, as well. She brings a different mix with her size. Coach was talking about how well she played against Feenstra, and I was impressed with how Lyttle didn't try to bang with her (or Kraavelt, either), but finessed the situtation by just jumping over or fading back. Sancho has great timing and movement...so if you can think of a big that does all that, then there is your comparison. She is not in the LJ class, by any means...Tiffany Jackson from the University of Texas will be the next player we see that brings that kind of grace and force to the mix, IMHO.

Sancho will be a player that fans in other cities will want to see and will enjoy. It may take a while for her to become a star in the league, but the fans will love her right away...kind of like Tina that way.

Hope that helps. Be assured, once you see her play, you won't forget her.

I don't know if you any of you guys have looked but Sancho's college numbers are essentially the same or better than Leslie's, Yo's, Holdsclaw's, and Tina Thompson's. I know she may have faced a different level of competition etc. yada yada yada I'm just pointing out the similarity of the numbers, and I'm adding that the girl is a producer and a producer produces. That's what a producer does. They produce. Judging by her past production, I think she's going to produce for the Comets.

(There's pills to help me with this, right?) Shocked

PostPosted: 05/03/05 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

I'm sure they're producing them as we speak, that's what the drug companies do, they produce pills. Wink

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/03/05 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sophia was a junior this past season.

If she goes to Houston, I'll have to learn to like the Comets - lol!

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/03/05 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

As deep as next year's draft will be, one could only hope for a continued youth movement in Houston with the addition of a player like Young, coupled with Lyttle.

My eyes are glassing over at the thought of it.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/05 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

I'm sure they're producing them as we speak, that's what the drug companies do, they produce pills. Wink

Get back in your laboratory, Dr. Rebkell! Laughing

PostPosted: 05/03/05 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

As deep as next year's draft will be, one could only hope for a continued youth movement in Houston with the addition of a player like Young, coupled with Lyttle.

My eyes are glassing over at the thought of it.

Sophia is my new favorite basketball player. I haven't been this excited about an up-and-coming player since Catch was a sophomore.

Nikki Blue would be the point guard Van's always wanted. Whoever picks ahead of L.A. MUST pick Blue!

SORF

PostPosted: 05/03/05 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree, it is hard to describe a player like Lyttle...so this is what I will say.

Karleen Thompson says she's like M. Mabeka.
VC says she is a rebounding machine like Ben Wallace
Coach Curl (UofH) says she is like Olajuwon.

SORF thinks...
She is fast or faster than Swoopes or Cash.
She has a fade-away mid range shot like T. Duncan
She is aggressive under the boards like a Tammy Jackson or L. Byers.
She can rebound and put the ball back in like the two mentioned above.
And I have seen her jump and take the ball off the top of the rim on a few occasions...so yes she has the ability to play above the rim.
Also, she has shut down Sandora Irvin when they played against each other in college...actually they neutralized each other.
She has a great work ethic and wants to be better.
She is a natural talent like Olajuwon and has great footwork like him. With the proper training she could be one of the best in the league. She is somewhat behind most players drafted in the top ten, but she only has played basketball for 3 or 4 years. Her potential is greater than any other player drafted this year...I hope she uses it. She is somewhat like what Tina Thompson was in that regard...a player with the potential to be great with hard work. I think Lyttle will be a Tina Thompson in a few years.

And yes, I'm a big fan of Lyttle's!!!!!!!
Very Happy

And Jammer, remember that she averaged an almost double-double through her college years...the only years she has ever played basketball. Now you know why the Big Texas schools pursued her during her sophomore year playing in a junior college here in Texas. She picked Houston from all other Texas BB schools because it was most like the West Indies.

Jammer, are you excited yetI am! Forget the pillsenjoy the high!
Laughing

Futurama

PostPosted: 05/03/05 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Sophia is really 6'1 since they say Blackmon wasn't really 6'2
I could see Sophia as a 3 in the WNBA since she has nice mobility and passing skills. Would be a nice eventual replacement for Sheryl.

SORF

PostPosted: 05/03/05 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG, you're welcome! Smile

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/03/05 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SORF wrote:
I agree, it is hard to describe a player like Lyttle...so this is what I will say.

Karleen Thompson says she's like M. Mabeka.
VC says she is a rebounding machine like Ben Wallace
Coach Curl (UofH) says she is like Olajuwon.

SORF thinks...
She is fast or faster than Swoopes or Cash.
She has a fade-away mid range shot like T. Duncan
She is aggressive under the boards like a Tammy Jackson or L. Byers.
She can rebound and put the ball back in like the two mentioned above.
And I have seen her jump and take the ball off the top of the rim on a few occasions...so yes she has the ability to play above the rim.
Also, she has shut down Sandora Irvin when they played against each other in college...actually they neutralized each other.
She has a great work ethic and wants to be better.
She is a natural talent like Olajuwon and has great footwork like him. With the proper training she could be one of the best in the league. She is somewhat behind most players drafted in the top ten, but she only has played basketball for 3 or 4 years. Her potential is greater than any other player drafted this year...I hope she uses it. She is somewhat like what Tina Thompson was in that regard...a player with the potential to be great with hard work. I think Lyttle will be a Tina Thompson in a few years.

And yes, I'm a big fan of Lyttle's!!!!!!!
Very Happy

And Jammer, remember that she averaged an almost double-double through her college years...the only years she has ever played basketball. Now you know why the Big Texas schools pursued her during her sophomore year playing in a junior college here in Texas. She picked Houston from all other Texas BB schools because it was most like the West Indies.

Jammer, are you excited yetI am! Forget the pillsenjoy the high!
Laughing

Yes, Madam SORF, very excited... and glad it's May and that I won't have long to wait to see if all for myself. Glad to hear that she's a hard worker. Great report.

SORF... on another note. I know you've had your share the last few years. Just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: