RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mixolydian

PostPosted: 06/29/21 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
As for Williams getting waived, I like the move. I hope we bring someone else in, preferably via a trade. We could use some help on D these days.

The reminds me, what did you think of the extended time Quinn played Canada at the two spot in that Vegas game? I'm assuming it was for defensive purposes vs. Plum/Gray and it seemed to work for a good stretch, though with Loyd having a bit of an off night it's hard to say. Definitely a bit out of the box and interesting to see.

If we're filling the 12th spot my dream pick would be a defensive guard who can shoot and/or run the point. As you say we don't really need another 3.

I've liked Burke when she's in. Certainly no worse than Samuelson (sorry to keep ringing that bell).

IM in OC

PostPosted: 06/29/21 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To fill the 12th spot on the roster, if she can be traded and play this year, I would try and get Maite Cazorla from Atlanta.

She can run point, shoot the three, drive to the hoop, and played solid "D" in Spain all season, and in Eurobasket.

I dont know the rules on trading for someone suspended.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/29/21 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mixolydian wrote:
That reminds me, what did you think of the extended time Quinn played Canada at the two spot in that Vegas game? I'm assuming it was for defensive purposes vs. Plum/Gray and it seemed to work for a good stretch, though with Loyd having a bit of an off night it's hard to say. Definitely a bit out of the box and interesting to see.

Had to rewatch the parts of the game that Canada was in at haha. Didn't seem to me like she was played a whole lot off the ball more than normal though, as I feel like we've seen Canada's backcourt mate run the point with Canada off the ball before for on average a couple plays per game. For this game, I'd tend to agree with you that it was more about the matchup than anything. I thought Canada did a decent job on Plum, despite Plum hitting some tough/contested shots with Canada on her. Didn't see Canada defend Gray, though I'm not sure that would've stopped Gray anyway since she's such a tough individual matchup. Perhaps Quinn preferred to have whoever Chelsea Gray was guarding to run the offense at times instead; One thing I did notice was that Gray wasn't on the floor on the Aces' final defensive possession in OT that effectively sealed the game, so it could mean that everyone recognizes that Gray is a slight defensive liability out there.

Mixolydian wrote:
If we're filling the 12th spot my dream pick would be a defensive guard who can shoot and/or run the point. As you say we don't really need another 3.

It would be ideal. Williams I thought had that two-way potential as a PG, but it seems the coaches just didn't want to take the time to develop her at the point. I can sort of understand, seeing as it perhaps would’ve been harder on the rest of the team to learn from three different PG styles as opposed to just two. In that case, it seems we would've benefitted more from keeping Gorecki or even Laksa, as they both have international experience, good size/length as SGs, and of course the ability to hit 3s. (I of course would've preferred Gorecki if that were the case. Razz )

Mixolydian wrote:
I've liked Burke when she's in.

Me too. I'm thinking Burke will be used more next season, because I predict that Talbot will have signed elsewhere due to how successful her season has been thus far. I don't see us prioritizing keeping Talbot due to the financials of it all – Dupree may be off the books by then, but Bird, Loyd, Stewart, Canada, and Russell will all need new contracts. Both Burke & Samuelson will at least only be on vet-min deals in 2022. So hopefully we're telling Burke behind the scenes to keep her head high this year, use this time to really learn the ins & outs of our system, and be prepared to really bring it for next year.

Mixolydian wrote:
Certainly no worse than Samuelson (sorry to keep ringing that bell).

No need to apologize! There's always much to say about Samuelson; that bell will stay ringing afaic. Smile The one thing about Samuelson that bothers me is, she's like Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis in that she was known for being a 3PT sniper at UConn, but for whatever reason it hasn't seemed to translate to this level yet. KML's career 3PT% was only 33.7. Samuelson as it stands now is only at 34.4% on the season.

The good news is that Samuelson's 3PT% is on track to be better than the 31.7% she shot from distance last season with Dallas – not to mention the shockingly putrid 27.6% she shot from distance in her first season with Chicago – though for whatever reason the current number still isn't as good as it probably should be. Judging by the shots she has been getting, I think she's slightly prone to forcing it from outside from time to time. Like any conventional player, she's better at making shots within the flow of the offense, rather than just sort of hoisting it up there outside of the flow. Still, the non-forced outside shots she has gotten have been pretty open, and it seems she's just missing probably more of those looks than she should. Confused I'm pretty satisfied with all the 2PT looks she's gotten though; I like how we try & involve her as an actual scorer all over the court (post-ups, one-or-two-dribble pull-ups, timely cuts to the basket) rather than merely as a player who only catches & shoots from the outside. And sure enough, her 2PT% has been great this season thus far: 62.9%! I like it when she takes shots inside the arc, quite frankly – whereas I sort of feel a sense of dread whenever she takes a 3PT shot, even if it’s wide-open. Embarassed

All in all, Katie Lou Samuelson feels like a bit of a KML-do-over project, but she should improve the more time she gets to gel with this team – and she shouldn’t be as much of a liability on defense as KML was. (Which is to say, I can’t see Samuelson having a weight problem in that way.) Being on your 3rd team in 3 years, especially with Samuelson's self-documented mental health struggles, must not be easy on one's psyche; so hopefully the more she spends time with our team, inside the stability that exists within this organization, the more she'll get comfortable & truly be able to develop. It's good that she's achieving overseas success, but as we all have acknowledged, it's truly a different ballgame in the W.

Last edited by Stormeo on 06/30/21 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/29/21 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
To fill the 12th spot on the roster, if she can be traded and play this year, I would try and get Maite Cazorla from Atlanta.

I like the fit, but Cazorla's main issue is availability. I can excuse anyone, American or not, who chose to miss last season, but Cazorla at this point is pretty involved in the Spanish National Team. When it comes to someone who operates the PG position in particular, imo you really need that player to be present year in & year out. ...Unless she's sending the Dream strong signals she just doesn't want to play for them. Razz

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/30/21 3:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Not sure where to put this , but this was a great interview Smile

https://justwomenssports.com/an-honest-conversation-with-the-wnbas-candice-dupree-and-amanda-zahui-b-during-pride/

Quote:
Dupree:

So I just had a conversation with them. One was concerned that if she went, everybody was going to think that she was gay. And I’m like, first of all, you play in the WNBA, so everybody already thinks you’re gay. Like, that’s just the stigma behind the WNBA. And then the other one I found out was homophobic for years, but yet she has all these friends that are gay. And she had a bit of a loud mouth in the locker room. I think she had asked us to go somewhere or do something, and I was like, “So, you want us to come and support you, but when it comes time to support us and our community, you don’t want to show up?” I made her really uncomfortable, but it was the truth.

Zahui B: How was the team dynamic after that?

Dupree: I gave her a hard time in the locker room and people were like, “Yeah, Can, tell her!” And then I just left her alone. But it’s crazy because I never would have known. Like yeah, they’ve had boyfriends, but I never would have known that that’s how they really felt had we not encountered that situation. That’s what I mean that people don’t ever say anything, they just kind of go with the flow, and then you really find out how people are when they’re put in certain situations.

2 or 3 years ago, i wonder who those 2 players were Shocked

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
craigmont

PostPosted: 07/01/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://storm.wnba.com/news/storm-signs-forward-cierra-burdick-to-7-day-contract/?fbclid=IwAR3RcyXEWudodHfhykC3eKok4xQXWXdlyr89_K3Hr3LBxb5GpI1FDlvWAGg

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/01/21 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless someone’s injured, that’s a waste of money. Well really, I find this to be a waste of money regardless.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/01/21 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Unless someone’s injured, that’s a waste of money. Well really, I find this to be a waste of money regardless.

agree. I don't know if she is worse than Dupree but you really don't need another Dupree.

Mixolydian

PostPosted: 07/01/21 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I thought Canada did a decent job on Plum, despite Plum hitting some tough/contested shots with Canada on her. Didn't see Canada defend Gray

Yeah I think Quinn saw how Plum had taken over a few games down the stretch and Canada was in to help with that. It was interesting to see.

Stormeo wrote:
I'm thinking Burke will be used more next season, because I predict that Talbot will have signed elsewhere due to how successful her season has been thus far. I don't see us prioritizing keeping Talbot due to the financials of it all

I bet you're right. But I won't complain if we somehow are able to keep Talbot, I've been really impressed with her.

Stormeo wrote:
Being on your 3rd team in 3 years, especially with Samuelson's self-documented mental health struggles, must not be easy on one's psyche; so hopefully the more she spends time with our team, inside the stability that exists within this organization, the more she'll get comfortable & truly be able to develop.

Oh geeze I went and looked up her talking about her mental health struggles. I always feel terrible when I'm not super positive on a player and then find out they're dealing with a lot off-court! Sad More power to her, it's not easy (especially after this past year), and I hope you're right that some stability and time with the team will improve her play.

Stormeo wrote:

This is a headscratcher to me. I'm not seeing how this fills any of the team's needs.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/01/21 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Talbot and Magbegor are leaving for national team commitments soon

PostPosted: 07/01/21 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

They're gonna miss the last two games before the break, apparently. Makes sense to add some kind of post player, given there are only 4 on the roster even before Magbegor leaves (although they could always use KLS as a 4 for a minute or two).

I'd have been tempted to take a look at someone with some unknown upside, though. We have a pretty good idea what Burdick is at this point, so why not see what someone else might be. If you don't do that a couple of years ago, you never end up with Mercedes Russell, for example.

PostPosted: 07/01/21 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

They're gonna miss the last two games before the break, apparently. Makes sense to add some kind of post player, given there are only 4 on the roster even before Magbegor leaves (although they could always use KLS as a 4 for a minute or two).

I'd have been tempted to take a look at someone with some unknown upside, though. We have a pretty good idea what Burdick is at this point, so why not see what someone else might be. If you don't do that a couple of years ago, you never end up with Mercedes Russell, for example.

So with Talbot & Magbegor missing time, we'd respectively be down a SF (which is fine, as we have two others) and a C. Sooooo why would we not just try & pick up an actual big? Burdick struggles to stick in this League because she's a 3/4 tweener, and in no way a 5. Who backs up Russell those last two games? Burdick? Dupree? Stewart having to slide over? None of those are good options, really.

And especially if Talbot & Magbegor only miss two games – hell, even if they end up missing the remaining five – I said what I said. Picking up Burdick for any amount of time right now is a waste of money.

@ the Storm & other WNBA teams this applies to:

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/02/21 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would of liked the Storm picking up Stokes

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
IM in OC

PostPosted: 07/02/21 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

The last two games for the Storm are H/H with the Mercury.

Will the Aces lose Cambage's services for their last two games, same dates as the Storm, @Wings and home for Lynx?

Also, I thought Australia was doing some training in Vegas before the Olympics, is this correct?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/02/21 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another reason that extra backup post might be needed: https://storm.wnba.com/news/seattle-storm-waives-candice-dupree/

PostPosted: 07/02/21 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Another reason that extra backup post might be needed: https://storm.wnba.com/news/seattle-storm-waives-candice-dupree/

Shocked Savage… but unless it’s revealed to be another “divorce” situation, she gets to walk away with every penny of her $170k. Confused

Nonetheless, I am glad to see that the Storm’s decision-makers aren’t content to just stand by & let players be a straight-up liability no matter what their contract situation is. Twisted Evil But, I can’t fully judge this move until we see what follows. The Burdick 7-dayer appears to have been made for the sole sake of the active roster staying at that 11-player minimum…

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/02/21 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

agree. I don't know if she is worse than Dupree but you really don't need another Dupree.

I guess you didn't even need one Dupree.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/02/21 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Shocked Savage… but unless it’s revealed to be another “divorce” situation, she gets to walk away with every penny of her $170k. Confused

https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1411104533393162245?s=20

PostPosted: 07/02/21 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We need a big, but I don't know who's out there.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/02/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could try Natasha Mack if they wanted to go young, or they drafted N'dea Jones themselves and had her in camp so there'd be some familiarity there. Slim pickings in terms of vets, unless Glory Johnson's stayed in shape. Various international options if they were willing to look a little deeper. Raisa Musina had a nice EuroBasket, for example (but is only kind of a big).

PostPosted: 07/02/21 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1411104533393162245?s=20

So, a minor divorce, but I’ll take that over a flat-out, uhh, “annulment?” any day. Laughing

Richyyy wrote:
Could try Natasha Mack if they wanted to go young, or they drafted N'dea Jones themselves and had her in camp so there'd be some familiarity there.

And wasn’t the Storm one of the three teams Mack was in contact with during the drafting process? (Chicago wasn’t one of them.) I believe they said that on the Draft broadcast. I’d be fine with bringing back N’dea Jones, too. However, I’m still holding out hope that we’ll bring in a veteran defense-oriented post by the trade deadline. The front office surely recognizes that, given Dupree’s departure. Unless we’re willing to try to develop a young post player, there’s no point in putting one on the roster.

Again, I’d suggest Elizabeth Williams for one of our three 2RPs. She’s not a good starter anymore, but I think she’d be fine in a smaller backup role.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/02/21 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
We need a big, but I don't know who's out there.

Could get Kalani Brown. She's very big.

PostPosted: 07/02/21 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Again, I’d suggest Elizabeth Williams for one of our three 2RPs. She’s not a good starter anymore, but I think she’d be fine in a smaller backup role.

When you trade for someone, you take on their entire cap figure for the season. 119,000 doesn't fit very easily into 30,000.

PostPosted: 07/02/21 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

When you trade for someone, you take on their entire cap figure for the season. 119,000 doesn't fit very easily into 30,000.

Yeah, they'd have to put someone like Epiphanny Prince in the deal

PostPosted: 07/02/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Ahh. Strange rule imo. Well, shit. Let’s call up GloJo. I don’t think Kalani Brown would be a fit, but there may be only one way to find out. In terms of the young-player pool, Natasha Mack would be my first choice.

Last edited by Stormeo on 07/02/21 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: