RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigmont

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
We gave up high value to get Samuelson, so I hope she’s still penciled in as our SF starter. My concern now is that Burke could be the better fit with the starters since she’s more defense-oriented than Samuelson. I know Samuelson’s been doing really well overseas, but it’s still possible that we essentially gave up a #1 Pick for a player who’s about to play directly behind someone we gave up a #11 Pick for. Confused

If Burke is that good, what a nice problem to have. Who cares what draft picks were traded for what players?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/17/21 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
We gave up high value to get Samuelson, so I hope she’s still penciled in as our SF starter. My concern now is that Burke could be the better fit with the starters since she’s more defense-oriented than Samuelson. I know Samuelson’s been doing really well overseas, but it’s still possible that we essentially gave up a #1 Pick for a player who’s about to play directly behind someone we gave up a #11 Pick for. Confused

If Burke is that good, what a nice problem to have. Who cares what draft picks were traded for what players?

More likely, it's if Samuelson is that... not good. If Burke can be effective as a starter and Samuelson can be effective off the bench, good for them, good for everyone. That said, when was the last time Samuelson was effective as a bench player? Seems to me that she has only ever been good as a starter, as evidenced at UConn and now overseas with Perfumerias Avenida – though admittedly, I don't know what roles she's played on her teams in her first couple overseas seasons. (Someone can enlighten me on that! Smile )

craigmont

PostPosted: 04/17/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

More likely, it's if Samuelson is that... not good. If Burke can be effective as a starter and Samuelson can be effective off the bench, good for them, good for everyone. That said, when was the last time Samuelson was effective as a bench player? Seems to me that she has only ever been good as a starter, as evidenced at UConn and now overseas with Perfumerias Avenida – though admittedly, I don't know what roles she's played on her teams in her first couple overseas seasons. (Someone can enlighten me on that! Smile )

It'll be more about the matchups and minutes. They could make a pretty nice tandem at the 3. Not too worried about who's on the floor at the opening tip.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/17/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing is that KLS doesnt play the SF position with Avenida. She plays most of her minutes at PF while Stewie is starting at the SF position for UMMC. So starting Burke might be a better idea or see what matchups you have. But on the other hand KLS guarding Wilson, EDD, Parker, Ogwumike is suicide. But she cant be worse then Dupree on the defensive end at this point

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/18/21 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
It'll be more about the matchups and minutes. They could make a pretty nice tandem at the 3. Not too worried about who's on the floor at the opening tip.

They certainly could. I hope now that neither Young nor Talbot make the roster, cuz Samuelson & Burke really should be enough to handle the 3 – though Samuelson will unfortunately be missing time for the 3x3 Olympic Qualifiers at the end of May, and we don't even know yet who will be arriving to camp late, so it'll be interesting to see if/how that affects the rest of the season with our whole perimeter rotation.

Although I think starting Samuelson would be what's best for her & thus the team, I ultimately just want her to get a good amount of minutes while consistently playing alongside a good group of teammates (ie not a bunch of [other] bench players like KML often did). Burke may end up being the better fit with the other starters, but Samuelson does have the higher ceiling between the two. Ya always want to see someone reach their potential.

Michelle89 wrote:
The thing is that KLS doesnt play the SF position with Avenida. She plays most of her minutes at PF while Stewie is starting at the SF position for UMMC. So starting Burke might be a better idea or see what matchups you have. But on the other hand KLS guarding Wilson, EDD, Parker, Ogwumike is suicide. But she cant be worse then Dupree on the defensive end at this point

It's weird that KLS is listed on Avenida's roster as a SG, starts at/plays the PF spot, and in actuality is the closest to a SF than any other position. Laughing

I can't imagine her guarding Stewie even in practice – she probably didn't have to do it too much at UConn the one year they were teammates since Geno tended to use her exclusively as a guard/perimeter player (iirc). If she has to do it in the Storm's practices due to us using her as a post player... that'll be a humbling experience for her, I'm sure! Razz

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/18/21 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually quite like Steph Talbot, and am not sure why she's been passed around the league like an unwanted Christmas gift in recent years. She's never been great at WNBA level, but she's been solid enough stepping in when necessary. Also still only 26, despite how long it feels like she's been around. I know Burke has her fans, but I'm not sure she's proven that she's a better player yet. However, technicaly, both Burke and Herbert Harrigan were acquired for first-round picks, and we all know how reluctant teams are to cut players that they gave up meaningful value for. So they'll probably both stick.

Talbot would then have to beat out someone like Kiana Williams, which doesn't seem hugely likely. The extra point guard (who might save them a lot of money if she makes re-signing Canada unnecessary by displacing her this year) is probably a stronger bet than yet another wing.

PostPosted: 04/18/21 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I actually quite like Steph Talbot, and am not sure why she's been passed around the league like an unwanted Christmas gift in recent years. She's never been great at WNBA level, but she's been solid enough stepping in when necessary. Also still only 26, despite how long it feels like she's been around. I know Burke has her fans, but I'm not sure she's proven that she's a better player yet. However, technicaly, both Burke and Herbert Harrigan were acquired for first-round picks, and we all know how reluctant teams are to cut players that they gave up meaningful value for. So they'll probably both stick.

Talbot would then have to beat out someone like Kiana Williams, which doesn't seem hugely likely. The extra point guard (who might save them a lot of money if she makes re-signing Canada unnecessary by displacing her this year) is probably a stronger bet than yet another wing.

The problem for Kiana Williams is that Epiphanny Prince could very well prove to be a better, more experienced version of Williams, due to Prince's experience over the years playing both on and off ball. With Samuelson guaranteed to miss time in May (possibly into June), we'll probably need more depth at SF than PG or SG, especially if Burke isn't able to be counted on. My guess is the roster will look like this:

PG: Bird/Canada/[Prince]
SG: Loyd/Prince/[Samuelson/Burke]
SF: Samuelson or Burke/Burke or Samuelson/Talbot or Young
PF: Stewart/Dupree/Herbert Harrigan
C: Russell/[Dupree if Magbegor is absent]/(Magbegor)

Prince becomes the 3rd-string PG. Samuelson & Burke can both situationally slide over to the SG spot if need be. If Magbegor stays in Australia until post-Olympics and we can afford to carry a technically-13th player, then maybe that player is Williams. Or, more likely, we give an in-season tryout to a 5th post. Otherwise, Dupree probably gets used a little at the 4 and the 5 until Magbegor joins the team.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/18/21 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's what I would've expected until Williams fell to them in the second round. I think they might feel that the extra backup wing is Stewart, in big lineups with Dupree at the 4. Prince was definitely signed as the scoring-guard-who-can-also-be-the-extra-backup-PG, but that doesn't necessarily negate the option of keeping another one.

Even if she is gone for a week or two at the 3x3 qualifier, Samuelson might well still end up playing more games than Bird, who we all know is likely to miss at least a handful of games. If any team should be carrying an extra point guard...

PostPosted: 04/18/21 5:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I like Talbot aswell. I rather keep her then Kiki if i had to choose. Solid perimeter defender and a good outside shot

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/20/21 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm finalize 2021 training camp roster

* – will be late arrivals due to overseas commitments

Since the Draft, we signed Brittany Brown (Florida State '17) and Peyton Williams (Kansas State '20).

Perhaps notably, nothing is mentioned about Magbegor's status. From the looks of this, it appears she will be on time to training camp, which would mean she'd be available to play in (most of) the first part of the season.

canadaball

PostPosted: 04/20/21 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I discussed this some time ago. It is time to retire the notion that the Aussie players will pass on the WNBA this summer. Their national team coach (Brondello) will be in Phx until Olympic time[ in addition, last I checked Australia has very tough virus quarantine rules, In coming travelers must isolate for 2 weeks. We already know that Cambage will be in LV. I have heard nothing to indicate players like Leilani Mitchell, Alanna Smith, Ezi, Talbot, and Sami Whitcomb won't be here. Think about it. What purpose staying Down Under? My guess is the Opals will practice in the USA (probably Phx) before some pre-Olympic games. Another clue...First round pick, Opal Shyla Heal, has been enthusiastic about joining Chicago as soon as possible. Unlike the European foreigners, there is no equivalent to Eurobasket that would keep them from the W.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/20/21 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
I discussed this some time ago. It is time to retire the notion that the Aussie players will pass on the WNBA this summer. Their national team coach (Brondello) will be in Phx until Olympic time[ in addition, last I checked Australia has very tough virus quarantine rules, In coming travelers must isolate for 2 weeks. We already know that Cambage will be in LV. I have heard nothing to indicate players like Leilani Mitchell, Alanna Smith, Ezi, Talbot, and Sami Whitcomb won't be here. Think about it. What purpose staying Down Under? My guess is the Opals will practice in the USA (probably Phx) before some pre-Olympic games. Another clue...First round pick, Opal Shyla Heal, has been enthusiastic about joining Chicago as soon as possible. Unlike the European foreigners, there is no equivalent to Eurobasket that would keep them from the W.

Historically, yes, they tend to show up. And some fringe-W Aussies did not show up last year, so they surely have jobs they want to keep. Still, as you said & as we know, Australia has very stringent virus rules in place, and as a result, there are very few new daily cases – just 24 yesterday, last I checked (70k new ones for this country). So I just don't blame anyone (who's not already in the US of course) for not wanting to travel across entire oceans this year to countries in significantly worse condition like the US. Think about it yourself: going from safe & healthy Australia or straight from playing a season in a European League to the US for not even three months, play in intense WNBA games, then likely fly directly to Tokyo to compete in the Olympics (or perhaps back home simply to rest), then fly back to the US and then finally home in September at the earliest. In the middle of a global pandemic. These players have also waited extra long for this Olympics – it's been 5 years since the last Summer Games now. I wouldn't blame them for wanting to rest up/stay fresh particularly this time around. We're already basically three months out from the start.

As it relates to Magbegor specifically, it would've been easier to miss part of this season because she showed up last season. This also will be her first Olympics as part of the Opals' national team. So I easily could've seen her opting to stay home to be super extra ready for it.

If the virus had never existed and things went on normally last year, then I agree, the notion you're describing should've been long gone. But IMO, we can retire it for good once the global pandemic (or at least the pandemic as it relates to the 1st-world countries) is over.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/21/21 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully the aussies will be comforted by how well the WNBA did last year with protecting its players & staff from Covid. (Bec Allen was, as she mentioned it in an interview)
Pretty sure Smith & Blicavs are already in Phoenix. I think Whitcomb may already be in NY. Cambage has been in the US for quite a while already.

The best Olympic preparation for Ezi atm is playing WNBA-level basketball so I'd be surprised if she didn't head over. But yeah, the Covid risk factor is very much an individual thing so you never know for sure.

PostPosted: 04/21/21 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everyone in the US over 16 can get vacinated now so, Aussie's should be able to get thier shots here.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/21/21 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Everyone in the US over 16 can get vacinated now so, Aussie's should be able to get thier shots here.

Sounds like I should head over, catch some games, and get a piece of that sweet vaccine action for myself. I could come just for the finals and still have my jab(s) before I'm scheduled to get them down here.

PostPosted: 04/21/21 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Magbegor being here for the start of training camp was the plan Dan Hughes relayed last month:
https://twitter.com/kpeltonWBB/status/1376637871033999360

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/21/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TDAO wrote:
Magbegor being here for the start of training camp was the plan Dan Hughes relayed last month:
https://twitter.com/kpeltonWBB/status/1376637871033999360

I hadn't seen this. Thank you for relaying this yourself. Smile

Based on who we have now, we'll have a very comfortable 50k-70k left in cap space. It surely won't be as comfortable next year!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/21/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm terrible at recognising players in street clothes, but I believe this is Magbegor, already in Seattle, getting vaccinated: https://twitter.com/seattlestorm/status/1384941873354117120?s=20

PostPosted: 04/21/21 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's also tagged in the tweet! So that would seem to firmly settle the question.

sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 04/21/21 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like that is Dupree getting the other vaccination shot.

PostPosted: 04/21/21 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I'm terrible at recognising players in street clothes, but I believe this is Magbegor, already in Seattle, getting vaccinated: https://twitter.com/seattlestorm/status/1384941873354117120?s=20

sithinfiltrator wrote:
Looks like that is Dupree getting the other vaccination shot.

😭 I love seeing these players on all the teams choose to get vaccinated, especially the POC and especially in front of the cameras. Imo it really does make a positive difference in helping undecided people choose to get vaccinated. It's also nice to see that they're getting it done at or before the start of the season, so that they can be alllllll ready to go! Very Happy

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/21/21 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back to the cap space thing: There might be enough extra cap space to allow an entire extra player to be retained onto the final roster if someone currently overseas is expected to be particularly late & has to be partial-season suspended. (Per awhom111's very helpful late-arrivals guide [thanks again, awhom!], Samuelson, Russell, and Prince would be the most likely candidates.) Imo that would be ideal, as it would give us more time to give that extra player an extended tryout – or host multiple tryouts in the form of 7-day contracts – until the suspended player completes their extracurricular obligations and returns Stateside for good.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 04/23/21 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Q&A: Storm President and CEO Alisha Valavanis talks about busy offseason, 2021 expectations and more

Not much here, except that there is a possibility that the new arena will be available for the playoffs.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/26/21 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Five things that need addressing as defending WNBA champion Storm open training camp

Quote:
The Storm appears to have a vacancy in the starting lineup that will go to either Katie Lou Samuelson, Kennedy Burke or Mikiah “Kiki” Herbert Harrigan.

We've traded a few picks with the number "1" attached to them (all "1st"-round picks of some sort, one being a "#1" Pick, one being a "#11" Pick) in order to get these players. It would be complete lunacy if all it's going to lead to is them climbing over each other for minutes at the same position. (And no mention of Young or Talbot in the article, fwiw.) Imo Kiki should be developed strictly as an undersized 4 – I think she has the shooting ability, the shot-blocking ability, and the overall chutzpah to succeed there.

Quote:
Ostensibly, the last spot on the Storm’s roster will go to Kitija Laksa or Kiana Williams.

To be real honest, if that's the competition for the last spot, I'd rather it go to an intriguing waiver-wire pickup instead.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/26/21 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Quote:
The Storm appears to have a vacancy in the starting lineup that will go to either Katie Lou Samuelson, Kennedy Burke or Mikiah “Kiki” Herbert Harrigan.

Imo Kiki should be developed strictly as an undersized 4 – I think she has the shooting ability, the shot-blocking ability, and the overall chutzpah to succeed there.

If y'all are playing mad Kiki more than 5 minutes/game, you're in trouble.

Quote:
“For me personally, Day 1 was fun being out there with veteran players and people that can think the game and play high-IQ basketball,” said Dupree, who spent the past four years in Indiana

hmmm a comment on Indiana?

and really it shows how much the writer knows when he says Dupree may be tasked with guarding Griner... Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 17 of 26

Jump to: