Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/17/21 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I’m hoping that Howard and Stokes are the starters with that hybrid 4 being utilized only for stretches. This draft demonstrates they absolutely intend to use it. The questions are how often and with what combos of players?

Agreed.

Yeah, I could see Stokes, Howard, [some wing], Laney, and Ionescu as the starters. Odom started most games last year at SF but her numbers are not really what you want from a starter.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/17/21 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think telling Whitcomb she'd at least have a chance to start might well have been part of getting her to sign. So she might get first crack at it.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I’m torn. I totally get what they’re doing. I get why they think it can work. I’m just not so sure I think it can work. 😂

Yeah, I'm rooting for them and trying to keep an open mind, but I'm skeptical. In fairness to Kolb and Hopkins, this really is like Year 1 given that the team had very little practice time last season to work on new systems or do player development. No practice players was another missing piece. They will have at least 4 new starters this year, and maybe 5 if they go small. It's basically a new team. We have no idea what they're going to look like.

As far as the future goes, the Liberty only have three guaranteed contracts next year: Howard, Laney, and Whitcomb. If at all, they won't face a salary crunch until 2024. So, free agents are still an option.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah man. Plus the injuries they suffered after last season started. One thing I do strongly believe is that Onyenwere is the best of their small ball 4 spot options if that’s the route they choose. She’s better than Willoughby or Odom near the basket (finishing, footwork, back to the basket) and she was strong enough defensively to make Collier work in the post in the Texas tournament game. With strength being one of Collier’s chief assets. Onyenwere also can rebound in the midst of several other players. Odom is similarly tough in traffic, but Onyenwere’s offensive versatility separates the two players in that sense, I believe.

You can only know how it will work once she’s out there against WNBA players, but as I far as me speculating at what their plan is, I think that’s definitely it. Maybe not day 1, but at some point moving forward as Onyenwere acclimates and develops.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty ready to reboot at full strength after lost 2020 season

Quote:
“We’re looking at this list and seeing pick by pick go,” Kolb recounted, “and we’re like, ‘man, there’s, there’s no way DiDi (Richards) is going to be there (at No. 17),’ and it was fun to be around that and then finally DiDi is there we do backflips.

NYL_WNBA_FAN, it sounds like you were right. Even if Mack was there at #17, they probably would have taken Didi.

Quote:
“I think what we do have is a very clear idea of the places that we need to adjust, and it’s more about on court, it’s more about the basketball side of things,” Hopkins said before the draft. “We have to get more athletic and more versatile defensively.”

“The problem was we had very little practice time and a very young team,” he said of last year’s team. “And so we made the choice to go with one coverage, try to get good at it, try to master the ins and outs and then we can have this really nice set of data to look at coming into this year and say ‘OK where do we need to make adjustments?’”

More emphasis on defense. Also, the data set purity rationale for using one coverage last season. They discussed it previously in a podcast I posted a while back.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-liberty-hopkins-kolb-ionescu-20210419-htptup223fczrh2x6ekvwol4tm-story.html

PostPosted: 04/19/21 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="root_thing"

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-liberty-hopkins-kolb-ionescu-20210419-htptup223fczrh2x6ekvwol4tm-story.html[/quote]

Do you have other way of posting this? The Daily News has a paywall and I've used my free articles. If you can do this, I'd be grateful. If you can't, no problem. Thanks.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

Do you have other way of posting this? The Daily News has a paywall and I've used my free articles. If you can do this, I'd be grateful. If you can't, no problem. Thanks.

Sorry, I don't know any other way of posting this without copyng the whole article. I guess I rarely read the Daily News, so my free articles are not used up. With some sites, you can delete your cookies and they lose track of how many articles you've read. I used to do that with the NY Times until Trump inspired me to become a paying member. Smile

PostPosted: 04/20/21 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Sorry, I don't know any other way of posting this without copyng the whole article. I guess I rarely read the Daily News, so my free articles are not used up. With some sites, you can delete your cookies and they lose track of how many articles you've read. I used to do that with the NY Times until Trump inspired me to become a paying member. Smile

Thanks for your reply. I'll try your advice and see if that works. LOL about what you've shared about the NY Times.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're having tryouts to be "the New York Liberty’s next mascot." Click the link below if anyone is interested. Smile

https://form.jotform.com/211016344325140

There have been rumors that Maddy is a goner because the team no longer plays at Madison Square Garden. Of course, the original MSG was named after Madison Square, which in turn is named after Madison Avenue, which of course is named after James Madison. There's no reason why we can't leave Maddy as the mascot since our 4th President probably never took sides when it came to NY sports. Nonetheless, new administrations tend to like rebranding. Are fans ready for Barcie or Barky?

Last edited by root_thing on 04/20/21 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/20/21 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
They're having tryouts to be "the New York Liberty’s next mascot." Click the link below if anyone is interested. Smile

There have been rumors that Maddy is a goner because the team no longer plays at Madison Square Garden. Of course, MSG is named after Madison Square, which in turn is named after Madison Avenue, which of course is named after James Madison. There's no reason why we can't leave Maddy as the mascot since our 4th President probably never took sides when it came to NY sports. Nonetheless, new administrations tend to like rebranding. Are fans ready for Barcie or Barky?

Barcie sounds a lot like Barfy. Laughing

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/20/21 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:

There have been rumors that Maddy is a goner because the team no longer plays at Madison Square Garden. Of course, MSG is named after Madison Square, which in turn is named after Madison Avenue, which of course is named after James Madison. There's no reason why we can't leave Maddy as the mascot since our 4th President probably never took sides when it came to NY sports. Nonetheless, new administrations tend to like rebranding. Are fans ready for Barcie or Barky?

Barcie sounds a lot like Barfy. Laughing

Add one letter and it becomes Barfly.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brookie? Smile

PostPosted: 04/20/21 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynnie?

Barfly is growing on me. This is New York -- we like being edgy.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Lynnie?

If we're going to be edgy--and given the recent change in New York State law--I vote for Stoned. I admit it has nothing specific to do with Brooklyn or the Barclay Center. But I believe we'd be the first sports team in the U.S. to have a mascot with such a name. Smile

PostPosted: 04/20/21 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barklay
Ellis

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/20/21 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Lynnie?

Yeah, but then we'd be the first team to have another team's fans as our mascot.

(Love ya, Brigade.)

PostPosted: 04/20/21 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barfly is an adverb

If they maintain a dog mascot, Barklay is the right answer

PostPosted: 04/20/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Barfly is an adverb

It's an adverb just like family, supply, and holy.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please no Bark- puns, or we're gonna end up with Barcoff as the damn mascot.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

They should use a mascot that's not an animal. Studies show that animals have no intrinsic interest in the Liberty.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:

They should use a mascot that's not an animal. Studies show that animals have no intrinsic interest in the Liberty.

My dog likes to watch basketball games.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/20/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/21/21 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My apologies if this is not the appropriate place for this but it doesn't seem the collectables section gets much interest...

I have an extra XXL Nike Rebel Ionescu jersey. Ordering these has been quite an experience. It's far too big for me. Would anyone be interested in buying it? PM me if interested.

If inappropriate, mods feel free to delete.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/21/21 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
My apologies if this is not the appropriate place for this but it doesn't seem the collectables section gets much interest...

I have an extra XXL Nike Rebel Ionescu jersey. Ordering these has been quite an experience. It's far too big for me. Would anyone be interested in buying it? PM me if interested.

For whatever it's worth... I don't see why you'd need to apologize. You're trying to sell ONE jersey if someone here is interested. Seems fine to me. I hope you're successful.

PostPosted: 04/21/21 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

For whatever it's worth... I don't see why you'd need to apologize. You're trying to sell ONE jersey if someone here is interested. Seems fine to me. I hope you're successful.

Ha. Just cautious about spam since there technically is a section for this but no one really goes there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 24 of 69

Jump to: