RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two or three weeks ago, I watched the second Sopron-Lyon game. I wanted to see how Johannes and Megan Walker were doing, even though Walker had already been traded. Fauthoux played in that game. Her numbers looked OK in the box score, but I thought she forced a number of ill-advised shots. Fauthoux also coughed up the ball when pressured by Sopron. Her movement wasn't the smoothest either. I didn't like her. However, it's only one game and she's only 20. The 29th pick is simply a roll of the dice anyway.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I was just checking if there were any trades for a post player in the last hour. Guess not.

Despite rumors otherwise, the 5-out appears to still be in.

Neither Richards nor Higgins is a 3pt shooter, and the jury is still out on Onyenwere.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Two or three weeks ago, I watched the second Sopron-Lyon game. I wanted to see how Johannes and Megan Walker were doing, even though Walker had already been traded. Fauthoux played in that game. Her numbers looked OK in the box score, but I thought she forced a number of ill-advised shots. Fauthoux also coughed up the ball when pressured by Sopron. Her movement wasn't the smoothest either. I didn't like her. However, it's only one game and she's only 20. The 29th pick is simply a roll of the dice anyway.

Yeah, I'm hoping the potential pans out to at least 12th player capable in the W.
But more so, if it helps Johannes show up more, I'm here for it!

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/16/21 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Yeah, I'm hoping the potential pans out to at least 12th player capable in the W. But more so, if it helps Johannes show up more, I'm here for it!

This comment isn't aimed specifically at you because I hear this theory all the time. I don't think loneliness is a major reason why foreign players fail to show up. Overseas players change teams all the time, often going from country to country. The main reasons they don't come over to the US are because of national team obligations and low pay. Besides, if you're going to carry a player to primarily be someone's companion, then that other player better be a superstar. She is essentially occupying two roster spots. Johannes is fun, but not even close to being a star.

It's clear that management has gone from talking about shooting 3s to promoting defense as their priority. That's been the theme all winter. The additions of Howard, Laney, and even Whitcomb were supposedly based on defense. Now, they're emphasizing that Onyenwere can defend multiple positions, #17 pick Didi Richards is the national defensive player of the year, and #25 pick Valerie Higgins is West Coast Conference defensive player of the year. Not that the latter two are likely to make the team. Right now, the roster looks like this to me:

1) Ionescu, Clarendon
2) Jones, Whitcomb
3) Laney, Odom, Onyenwere
4) Allen, Willoughby
5) Howard, Stokes, Shook

That's an ultra-small roster. Howard is smallish even for a PF. Yes, she technically played C for Seattle, but Natasha had Brianna Stewart and her huge wingspan playing PF. Bec Allen is a pretty good shot-blocker at SF, but not so much at PF. I'm still really skeptical that the small-ball line-up can defend effectively.

So what are the options if management wants to reverse course and be more conventional? Looking at their expanded roster, the in-house options are Holmes now, and possibly Han and Raincock after the Olympics. I know most Liberty fans have written off Nayo, but if you look at the players drafted yesterday, she fits a similar profile. Raincock is quick and athletic, and she can defend multiple positions. Offense has always been considered her weakness, but compared to yesterday's picks (and Odom), Nayo isn't so bad. As for Holmes, she's still a bundle of physical talent even if she's lacking in basketball IQ and motivation. For what it's worth, Joyner was second on the team last season in rebounding percentage behind the departed Zahui B. and now remains second after Howard. With all her flaws, Holmes can still fill a need. Han is obviously just a big question mark in terms of ever returning. However, if she does, they automatically gain significant size and probably a useful offensive option.

The website indicates that they signed Asia Taylor. She is the ultimate journeyman tweener. Asia is not much different from the players New York already has except that she is more experienced. I don't see any significant trades coming, and I'm guessing any low-level free agents would have signed by now. That leaves us with the waiver wire. The good news is that New York has first priority on all waiver claims. If anyone around the league gets cut, the Liberty get first crack. We know there will be a lot of cuts. However, what kind of quality will be available, and will any of these people be post players?

PostPosted: 04/16/21 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Yeah, I'm hoping the potential pans out to at least 12th player capable in the W. But more so, if it helps Johannes show up more, I'm here for it!

This comment isn't aimed specifically at you because I hear this theory all the time. I don't think loneliness is a major reason why foreign players fail to show up. Overseas players change teams all the time, often going from country to country. The main reasons they don't come over to the US are because of national team obligations and low pay. Besides, if you're going to carry a player to primarily be someone's companion, then that other player better be a superstar. She is essentially occupying two roster spots. Johannes is fun, but not even close to being a star.

It's clear that management has gone from talking about shooting 3s to promoting defense as their priority. That's been the theme all winter. The additions of Howard, Laney, and even Whitcomb were supposedly based on defense. Now, they're emphasizing that Onyenwere can defend multiple positions, #17 pick Didi Richards is the national defensive player of the year, and #25 pick Valerie Higgins is West Coast Conference defensive player of the year. Not that the latter two are likely to make the team. Right now, the roster looks like this to me:

1) Ionescu, Clarendon
2) Jones, Whitcomb
4) Allen, Willoughby
5) Howard, Stokes, Shook

That's an ultra-small roster. Howard is smallish even for a PF. Yes, she technically played C for Seattle, but Natasha had Brianna Stewart and her huge wingspan playing PF. Bec Allen is a pretty good shot-blocker at SF, but not so much at PF. I'm still really skeptical that the small-ball line-up can defend effectively.

So what are the options if management wants to reverse course and be more conventional? Looking at their expanded roster, the in-house options are Holmes now, and possibly Han and Raincock after the Olympics. I know most Liberty fans have written off Nayo, but if you look at the players drafted yesterday, she fits a similar profile. Raincock is quick and athletic, and she can defend multiple positions. Offense has always been considered her weakness, but compared to yesterday's picks (and Odom), Nayo isn't so bad. As for Holmes, she's still a bundle of physical talent even if she's lacking in basketball IQ and motivation. For what it's worth, Joyner was second on the team last season in rebounding percentage behind the departed Zahui B. and now remains second after Howard. With all her flaws, Holmes can still fill a need. Han is obviously just a big question mark in terms of ever returning. However, if she does, they automatically gain significant size and probably a useful offensive option.

The website indicates that they signed Asia Taylor. She is the ultimate journeyman tweener. Asia is not much different from the players New York already has except that she is more experienced. I don't see any significant trades coming, and I'm guessing any low-level free agents would have signed by now. That leaves us with the waiver wire. The good news is that New York has first priority on all waiver claims. If anyone around the league gets cut, the Liberty get first crack. We know there will be a lot of cuts. However, what kind of quality will be available, and will any of these people be post players?

It is very strange to promote defense as your priority, and construct an "ultra-small roster." We know that height is no guarantee of great defense, but surely it can help.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been trying to keep track of the Liberty roster. I now have a list of 22 players who perhaps could play for the team this season. We know that some of them almost surely won't, but still that's a lot!

Allen, Clarendon, Durr, Fauthoux, Higgins, Holmes, Howard, Ionescu, Johannes, Jones, Kea, Laney, Odom, Onyenwere, Raincock-Ekunwe, Richards, Shook, Stokes, Taylor, Whitcomb, Willoughby, Xu

PostPosted: 04/16/21 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

It's clear that management has gone from talking about shooting 3s to promoting defense as their priority. That's been the theme all winter. I don't see any significant trades coming, and I'm guessing any low-level free agents would have signed by now. That leaves us with the waiver wire. The good news is that New York has first priority on all waiver claims. If anyone around the league gets cut, the Liberty get first crack. We know there will be a lot of cuts. However, what kind of quality will be available, and will any of these people be post players?

Yeah that’s fair, I don’t necessarily want Johannes if Fauthoux can’t earn her spot. I can’t find it but I thought I remembered MJ wanting to play in the W. Maybe she got her fill?
For me and the loneliness, I am probably influenced by Han Xu, a younger player who maybe really only had an interpreter while dealing with a big culture shock and professional adjustment.

Yes I noticed the theme of defense, especially with Richards and Higgins (and Odom and Shook/Jones) and of course Howard, Laney and Whitcomb.

I would have loved at least a 6’4 long limbed shot blocker in Mack, but I guess we roll with Howard, Stokes and Shook at center.
We have more talent but it’s tough to see us finish better than 11th right now, with a ceiling of 8th in my eyes.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I've been trying to keep track of the Liberty roster. I now have a list of 22 players who perhaps could play for the team this season. We know that some of them almost surely won't, but still that's a lot!

Allen, Clarendon, Durr, Fauthoux, Higgins, Holmes, Howard, Ionescu, Johannes, Jones, Kea, Laney, Odom, Onyenwere, Raincock-Ekunwe, Richards, Shook, Stokes, Taylor, Whitcomb, Willoughby, Xu

So many players!!

Also interesting tidbits I didn’t know:

https://www.recordnet.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2021/04/15/wnba-draft-2021-liberty-select-pacifics-valerie-higgins-3rd-round/7246456002/

Quote:
Higgins will also be joining her high school teammate, Leanna Odom and former Cal Stars teammate, Sabrina Ionescu, last year's No. 1 overall pick.

And she was rated 15th by hoopgurlz out of high school, played a season at USC before transferring to UoP.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/16/21 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

So many players!!

https://www.recordnet.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2021/04/15/wnba-draft-2021-liberty-select-pacifics-valerie-higgins-3rd-round/7246456002/

Quote:
Higgins will also be joining her high school teammate, Leanna Odom and former Cal Stars teammate, Sabrina Ionescu, last year's No. 1 overall pick.

And she was rated 15th by hoopgurlz out of high school, played a season at USC before transferring to UoP.

Even better, Odom and Higgins' team beat Sabrina's team in the California state championship game their senior years.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

So many players!!

Quote:

Even better, Odom and Higgins' team beat Sabrina's team in the California state championship game their senior years.

The HoopGurlz #9 and #15 ranked players on the same high school team is pretty good (Sabrina was #4). Positionally, Odom and Higgins were the #1 and #2 wings.

Onyenwere and Shook were teammates on the same Colorado AAU team. Shook and Odom were "bunkmates" at the McDonald's All-American event. So, we can play six degress of separation and we don't even need Kevin Bacon.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

April 16, 2021
New York Liberty: Han Xu – Non-Active, Personal Decision

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/17/21 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
April 16, 2021

No big surprise. Next up, Johannes.

Also, it will be interesting to see how Durr is handled.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
April 16, 2021

No big surprise. Next up, Johannes.

Also, it will be interesting to see how Durr is handled.

Indeed no surprise about Han. I hope we'll see her in Brooklyn in 2022. I hope we'll see Johannes this season. As for Asia Durr, for the moment I'll continue to hope that her health is gradually improving.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt Johannes shows up for the start of the season. She might return after the Olympics, but honestly, that would almost be a waste. Even with Han sitting out, the Liberty are short on cap space. They now have $105k, which may or may not be enough to sign Allen even if they use every penny. To have Johannes tie up an entire year's cap space in order to play 11 games doesn't seem worth it -- especially since the team already has lots of wing players.

It would help if they could get Durr off the roster. However, that would require either help from the league or some kind of sketchy maneuvering.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depending on how much they give Allen and what the hell happens with Durr, once they're down to 12 they may well still have the cap room to keep Johannes as a 'temporarily suspended' 13th player. In which case, why not? Unless she says she definitely doesn't want to play this year, might as well do it and give themselves the chance of a second-half boost.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I watched Onyenwere’s game in the tournament vs. Texas and I came away with a few conclusions that I believe justify the pick more so.

I’m going to go with what Root mentioned earlier, that the Liberty clearly drafted from a defensive versatility emphasis. Yes Onyenwere is multifaceted enough to do different things offensively. But she can defend the perimeter and wasn’t out of place inside vs. Collier or Ebo either. She’s got a very strong lower base, very quick feet, and the suddenness to help and recover on defense. If they’re going to go with a kind of a hybrid 4-spot player off the bench, maybe she’s first in that rotation. I think she will be. I think from a skill standpoint she’s better suited for it than Bec. This suggests a few things to me:

-I think Shook is a near-lock to make the team from a rim protection standpoint

-I think they’re not married to Bec playing a major role even if she is re-signed, though I think she will get to play herself into whatever opportunity she gets

-Higgins was drafted to legitimately compete for a position but also primarily to push Onyenwere and Odom in camp at the minimum

-Richards was drafted to compete and maybe grab the 12th spot as further guard insurance, but to also push people in camp and maybe at least be available as a non-roster player if a lead guard gets hurt (if she remains out there...I think there’s a good chance)

Ultimately I think the bulk of whatever minutes Onyenwere will play will come at the “4” spot. She’s comfortable around the basket enough to score occasionally on athleticism alone and the upside is clear.

The more I research and just view these players, the more I think the Liberty might be the league’s best defensive team this year. Health permitting. At least top 3. Every off-season move they’ve made has demonstrated defense is a significant factor in their planning.

I’m just worried about their depth at certain spots. They don’t have the punch to sustain a long-term injury to Sabrina or Howard. From a defensive standpoint, their season also depends on Howard staying healthy. Without Howard, the Libs become a clear lottery team in a hurry.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Depending on how much they give Allen and what the hell happens with Durr, once they're down to 12 they may well still have the cap room to keep Johannes as a 'temporarily suspended' 13th player. In which case, why not? Unless she says she definitely doesn't want to play this year, might as well do it and give themselves the chance of a second-half boost.

Yeah, I covered those two issues, and I think they are still question marks that can swing either way.

There's no doubt that most people on this board would choose a full season of Johannes over Odom and Willoughby, or for that matter, Allen and Onyenwere. But would you unload one of those players for 11 games of Johannes? Remember, it's not even 11 games of prime Johannes because she'll probably need time to learn the system and to fit in with 10 new teammates. Only Allen returns from the 2019 team. Stokes sat out that season.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yeah, I covered those two issues, and I think they are still question marks that can swing either way.

Yes, the point of what I posted was the second half of the paragraph, about how they might be able to keep her as a 13th player.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

1) Ionescu, Clarendon
2) Jones, Whitcomb
4) Allen, Willoughby
5) Howard, Stokes, Shook

It is very strange to promote defense as your priority, and construct an "ultra-small roster." We know that height is no guarantee of great defense, but surely it can help.

Their philosophy is an analytics-based one that, rightly or wrongly, seems predicated on two main principles.

-They want players who can switch and defend multiple positions (in the WNBA with condensed scheduling, commercial flights and little practice time this makes sense)

-They are getting players who “play big”. Onyenwere, Odom, Howard, Willoughby and Laney all willingly play through contact and are not at all shy about playing physical. (I think this trait is also valuable, as these are all extremely physically strong players).

I am intrigued by this direction. I personally think it can work provided Howard stays healthy. We will see though.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I seem to remember Hopkins saying something about post-ups not being the high percentage shots that people think they are. However, that's with true post players matching up against other bigs. If you have true post players posting up against small forwards, those percentages are likely to go up. You can always send help, but on the few occasions when the Liberty went small last year, I didn't see much help. I can still remember Willoughby left on an island to fend for herself against Candace Parker and Sabally.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I seem to remember Hopkins saying something about post-ups not being the high percentage shots that people think they are. However, that's with true post players matching up against other bigs. If you have true post players posting up against small forwards, those percentages are likely to go up. You can always send help, but on the few occasions when the Liberty went small last year, I didn't see much help. I can still remember Willoughby left on an island to fend for herself against Candace Parker and Sabally.

Well said. This is part of my concern about our "ultra-small" roster. We also haven't discussed rebounding much, another of my concerns. If our excellent but smaller defenders have trouble getting defensive rebounds--and get few offensive rebounds--that's potentially a big problem.

But the die is cast. Unless some big trade is ahead--and people here have noted the salary cap difficulties that may prevent that--then our roster will be 12 of the players we are discussing. So I hope that Kolb and Hopkins have it right.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking about Kiah Stokes. I suspect her play is going to be one of the most important storylines for the Liberty this season. With Zahui B. gone, with Han not coming, with only Shook behind her, Stokes become rather crucial. Yes, there will be times when Howard is the only post player on the court. (Which may or may not work.) But surely Stokes is going to get major minutes (she averaged 27+ last season) and the Liberty will need strong defense and rebounding from her.

And Hopkins will want Stokes to shoot better. In 2020 she had a FG% of only 37.2%, with only 23.5% on three-pointers. These are bad numbers for a starting center who Walt wants to shoot from outside.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m hoping that Howard and Stokes are the starters with that hybrid 4 being utilized only for stretches. This draft demonstrates they absolutely intend to use it. The questions are how often and with what combos of players?

PostPosted: 04/17/21 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I’m hoping that Howard and Stokes are the starters with that hybrid 4 being utilized only for stretches. This draft demonstrates they absolutely intend to use it. The questions are how often and with what combos of players?

Agreed.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

This is an interesting point on a few levels.

First, the advantage of a smaller athletic post is going to be negated by longer players who are equally as or more athletic.

Second, I think Onyenwere is more suited for the role they are looking for because of how quickly she can cover ground and how much strength she appeared to have in her lower body. But, that doesn’t mean she still won’t struggle in certain mismatch situations in the post.

Third, it’s the analytics at work. Trying to get and take away as many open 3s as possible because the math says open 3s are better shots than contested 2s or open long 2s. Whether it can work here truly remains to be seen. While I believe in these people (Kolb, Hopkins) I also worry when systems interfere with attaining balance on a team.

I also wonder if schematically they’ll be different if they simply have more healthy bodies who can be in defensive help positions.

In many ways this could be this organization’s most important off season. How many years might they be given to “rebuild”?

If they’re slightly better but not above .500, it’s not a success AND it becomes harder to draft to build further. It’s possible this is the last year in the next few where we add any further major assets.

Just food for thought. I think if healthy this is going to be a pretty competitive team. But they are not built well if certain players go down.

I’m torn. I totally get what they’re doing. I get why they think it can work. I’m just not so sure I think it can work. 😂

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 23 of 69

Jump to: