Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/01/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wrote:
I kinda wonder if Xargay forced PHX’s hand by signing with them in a season that she’s very unlikely to make their 11-player roster. That way after being cut she would be free to sign with SEA, for instance.

Huh..?

PostPosted: 04/01/21 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
wrote:
I kinda wonder if Xargay forced PHX’s hand by signing with them in a season that she’s very unlikely to make their 11-player roster. That way after being cut she would be free to sign with SEA, for instance.

Huh..?

Sounds like the OP is saying Xargay is coming over with anticipation of being Cut so she can join the Storm in so many words and not getting too personal Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/01/21 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
wrote:

Huh..?

Sounds like the OP is saying Xargay is coming over with anticipation of being Cut so she can join the Storm in so many words and not getting too personal Laughing Laughing

Not asking the Mercury to just cut her so she can do that anyway, if that’s what Xargay/Storm want to do, is where I got confused. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/02/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad to see that Xargay will be on the floor again with any team. She has too much left to retire early. Sonja Petrovic has already announced that she is going to retire after the olympics.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
may_b

PostPosted: 04/02/21 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Xargay announced earlier this year that she's retired from the Spanish national team, which is obviously a huge bummer for them. I was wondering if she'd try a *small* comeback and then decide whether to retire altogether; WNBA comeback isn't exactly small.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/08/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

May not mean anything , but i noticed in the teams tweet video showing the new jerseys with players wearing them they did not have BG with one ? They included her in clips from real games but none with the new jersey ? Maybe due to her being overseas idk , BUT as a wings fan praying for this trade this makes me smirk a bit Cool Cool Cool Overanalyzing ? Maybe...Maybe Not ?

https://twitter.com/PhoenixMercury/status/1380158497413853192?s=20

PostPosted: 04/08/21 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're also selling her jersey. I feel like Nike wouldn't have wasted the money printing them only to have to severely discount them before the season begins for being a traded player.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/08/21 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
They're also selling her jersey. I feel like Nike wouldn't have wasted the money printing them only to have to severely discount them before the season begins for being a traded player.

Could end up a collectors item & im sure making a change to 1 jersey would not be cost effective to Nike something similar happened in the NBA before this season started with a Suns player when the new jersey came out before he got traded lol Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/08/21 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fair point but W jerseys are a lot less cost efficient than NBA jerseys which is why they only print certain players. They're only selling BG and DT right now. Not even SDD. Most teams only have 1 jersey out. Im sure if there was an inclination that BG was on the move, Nike would've only made the DT one and been fine with it.

Keep wishing though. I love the enthusiasm!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/08/21 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Fair point but W jerseys are a lot less cost efficient than NBA jerseys which is why they only print certain players. They're only selling BG and DT right now. Not even SDD. Most teams only have 1 jersey out. Im sure if there was an inclination that BG was on the move, Nike would've only made the DT one and been fine with it.

Keep wishing though. I love the enthusiasm!

To be Fair you guys have the hottest jerseys of them all IMO. The White the purple looks awesome. Definitely will purchase a DT jersey before its all said and done. #WFFL Cool Cool

PostPosted: 04/08/21 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, I bought a BG one even though I have 2 of hers already and realized afterwards that I should've gotten the DT one. I'll likely have to return it due to sizing issues anyway, so I can switch it up then.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/09/21 4:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
So, I bought a BG one even though I have 2 of hers already and realized afterwards that I should've gotten the DT one. I'll likely have to return it due to sizing issues anyway, so I can switch it up then.

what size did you order? And how tall are you? Smile Trying to find out what size i need to order

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 04/09/21 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I'm a 6ft male. 190lbs. I ordered the xxl for the Liberty jersey and XL for the PHX one. I have some mediums of the fanatics jerseys that fit fine (although after quarantine I would probably go up to a large in those). They're arriving Monday. I'll give you guys a report on fit.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/15/21 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hot off the presses... ShockedArrow

Quote:
Tiana Mangakahia goes undrafted in the 2021 WNBA Draft. After the draft, Mangakahia signed a training camp contract with the Phoenix Mercury.

https://cuse.com/news/2021/4/15/womens-basketball-mangakahia-signs-training-camp-contract-with-phoenix.aspx

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/15/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Brondello effect is still very strong (as evidenced by the signing of Sara Blicavs to a training camp contract)

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, the training camp roster looks like?

PG: Diggins-Smith/Peddy/Xargay/Mangakahia
SG: Taurasi/Hartley/Nurse
SF: Cunningham/Walker
PF: Turner/Smith/Blicavs
C: Griner/Vaughn/Johnson

How many spots are open?
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
So, the training camp roster looks like?

PG: Diggins-Smith/Peddy/Xargay/Mangakahia
SG: Taurasi/Hartley/Nurse
SF: Cunningham/Walker
PF: Turner/Smith/Blicavs
C: Griner/Vaughn/Johnson

How many spots are open?

Probably one, maybe two if you're not high on Cunningham.

I'd be surprised to see any of the below cut, and the money only lets them keep 11 (unless Hartley's suspended, which seems unlikely).

PG: Skylar Diggins-Smith/Bria Hartley
SG: Diana Taurasi
SF: Kia Nurse/Megan Walker/Sophie Cunningham
PF: Brianna Turner/Alanna Smith
C: Brittney Griner/Kia Vaughn

PostPosted: 04/17/21 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

April 16, 2021
Phoenix Mercury: Akela Maize – Sign Training Camp Contract
Phoenix Mercury: Tiana Mangakahia – Sign Training Camp Contract
Phoenix Mercury: Avery Warley-Talbert – Sign Training Camp Contract

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/25/21 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix Mercury 'way ahead' of 2020 as training camp opens
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2021/04/25/phoenix-mercury-way-ahead-2020-training-camp-opens/7377043002/
Quote:
Those available Sunday in addition to Taurasi and Diggins-Smith were Nurse, returner Alanna Smith, draft pick Ciera Johnson and camp signees Sara Blicavs, Tiana Mangakahia and Akela Maize.
Others here but not participating were Bria Hartley, Sophie Cunningham, Cierra Burdick and Avery Warley-Talbert. Hartley is not yet full go coming back from major knee surgery, Cunningham and Burdick are awaiting their final COVID clearance and Warley-Talbert sat out due to an ankle injury.
Those not yet in the country after their international seasons are Brittney Griner, Brianna Turner, Kia Vaughn, Shey Peddy and Walker. Spanish guard Marta Xargay also has yet to arrive.

Also includes some fairly positive news about Hartley's recovery.

Last edited by Luuuc on 04/25/21 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mb1

PostPosted: 04/26/21 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First time back on Rebkell in MONTHS.

Good Link:

https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap-sheet/wnba/team/phoenix-mercury-11eaecc7-357f-c1ca-b611-2362f5011b0b/

PG: SKYLAR DIGGINS-SMITH, BRIA HARTLEY

SG: DIANA TAURASI

SF: KIA NURSE, MEGAN WALKER

PF: BRIANA TURNER, ALANNA SMITH

C: BRITTNEY GRINER

Three spots left at this point due to salary cap..

Sophie Cunningham and Kia Vaughn are likely to be kept

Sara Blicavs would make sense.

Shey Peddy,Tiana Mangakahia, Marta Xargay, (and Cunningham) battle for one (or two) guard spits.

Sara Blicavs, Cierra Burdick, Cierra Johnson, Akela Maize, Avery Warley-Talbert, (and Vaughn) battle for one (or two) post spots.

Should be interesting.

X

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/26/21 3:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
First time back on Rebkell in MONTHS.

Good Link:

https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap-sheet/wnba/team/phoenix-mercury-11eaecc7-357f-c1ca-b611-2362f5011b0b/

PG: SKYLAR DIGGINS-SMITH, BRIA HARTLEY

SG: DIANA TAURASI

SF: KIA NURSE, MEGAN WALKER

PF: BRIANA TURNER, ALANNA SMITH

C: BRITTNEY GRINER

Three spots left at this point due to salary cap..

Sophie Cunningham and Kia Vaughn are likely to be kept

Sara Blicavs would make sense.

Shey Peddy,Tiana Mangakahia, Marta Xargay, (and Cunningham) battle for one (or two) guard spits.

Sara Blicavs, Cierra Burdick, Cierra Johnson, Akela Maize, Avery Warley-Talbert, (and Vaughn) battle for one (or two) post spots.

Should be interesting.

X

I believe Blicavs is more a SF and not a post. So she might give Walker a run for her money at that backup 3 spot

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/21 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As there's only room for 11, all those people on the bottom lists are only fighting for one spot total, rather than one guard and one post (unless someone beats out Cunningham, or Smith, or whoever).

Also, as you can see from the salary sheet mb1 linked to, there isn't enough cap room for the 11th player to be a vet minimum, so it won't be Warley-Talbert or Burdick. Unless they had no other offers, or there's some personal reason for only wanting to play in Phoenix, they really should be in camp virtually anywhere else.

PostPosted: 05/01/21 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner, Turner, Xargay to join Mercury training camp next week
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2021/05/01/griner-turner-xargay-to-join-mercury-training-camp-next-week/4907418001/

Quote:
Brittney Griner, Brianna Turner and Marta Xargay are in Arizona and going through COVID-19 protocol that will allow them to join Phoenix Mercury training camp next week.

Quote:
Kia Vaughn, Shey Peddy and Megan Walker still are not back in the U.S. from their overseas seasons.

Quote:
The Mercury will have 11 players instead of 12 on their final roster due to salary cap restrictions. Brondello said deciding on those beyond the top seven or eight remains "a work in progress" leading up to season opener May 14.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/01/21 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be deeply unimpressed by Xargay showing up late, unless there's a very good unstated reason. Hasn't played basketball in over a year, so overseas seasons shouldn't have held her up (except for hanging around to watch her girlfriend play, which isn't a good reason). If they've promised her a spot, then that's the Mercury's fault; if they haven't, the late arrival should hurt her chances of making the team.

PostPosted: 05/02/21 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO the spots most likely to change hands are Cunningham's and Peddy's. Cunningham simply hasn't shown a whole lot within the scope of her first two years. Peddy, one heroic playoff shot aside, is also still firmly a fringe player. Too, being even later to camp than Xargay may hurt her chances at retaining her spot. (But at least if she does get cut, the Mystics could consider bringing her back.) Overall, if Xargay performs well/is her usual self in camp, I think she could certainly snag herself one of those spots. Orrrrrr maybe she wouldn't mind getting cut where it could possibly lead to a tryout here in Seattle...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: