RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/11/21 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jennie Baranczyk to Oklahoma

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31230553

I wasn't sure if she'd want to leave Drake with DesMoines being her hometown and I think her parents still live there. But this is a great opportunity for her - hope things go well for her.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/11/21 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
pilight wrote:
Jennie Baranczyk to Oklahoma

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31230553

I wasn't sure if she'd want to leave Drake with DesMoines being her hometown and I think her parents still live there. But this is a great opportunity for her - hope things go well for her.

Definitely a good move for Oklahoma! Cool

PostPosted: 04/11/21 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

8 Male coaches have 10+ years of experience: Jim Littell (10 seasons), Scott Rueck (11), Jeff Walz (14), Joe McKeown (14), Quentin Hillsman (15), Gary Blair (18 ), Mike Carey (20), & Bill Fennelly (26). Hillsman is the only black man in that group.

Wouldn’t Kevin McGuff be in this category as well? This was his 10th season in P5 (Washington + Ohio State), 19th overall as a head coach.

Quote:
12 white female coaches have 10+ years of experience: Jen Hoover (10), Cori Close (10), Robin Pingeton (11), Suzy Merchant (13), Katie Meier (16), Sharon Versyp (15), Brenda Frese (19), Lisa Bluder (21), Kim Mulkey (21), Sue Semrau (23), Charli Turner Thorne (25), & Tara Vanderveer (36).

Perhaps I’m not understanding your numbers in this category as well because Versyp and Frese should both have higher numbers in my head due to their previous stops at P5 schools, Indiana and Minnesota, respectively. Do you mean just at their current schools?

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/11/21 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
ClayK wrote:
I know and have known a fair number of male coaches who had or could have had college ambitions, but they all feel the same frustration women do in almost every other field. The prime example right now is Mark Campbell, the highly regarded Oregon assistant, who couldn't even get an interview for the Washington job.

The fact that women deal with this and have dealt with it forever (almost literally) is cold comfort to the individual males.

From what I’ve heard he was interviewed twice and was seriously considered. He’s from the Seattle area, has DEEP west coast recruiting connections and is well regarded as a strategist. I’m hearing that influential program donors put the kibosh on his consideration exclusively due to his gender.

You could be right. I heard he didn't get an interview, but we both heard the same thing about why he wasn't seriously considered.

PostPosted: 04/11/21 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

8 Male coaches have 10+ years of experience: Jim Littell (10 seasons), Scott Rueck (11), Jeff Walz (14), Joe McKeown (14), Quentin Hillsman (15), Gary Blair (18 ), Mike Carey (20), & Bill Fennelly (26). Hillsman is the only black man in that group.

Wouldn’t Kevin McGuff be in this category as well? This was his 10th season in P5 (Washington + Ohio State), 19th overall as a head coach.

....and KELLY GRAVES!! (....or don't his Gonzaga years count? Vic Schaefer? wait.....his AC years don't count....never mind. ) Razz

PostPosted: 04/11/21 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Quote:
12 white female coaches have 10+ years of experience: Jen Hoover (10), Cori Close (10), Robin Pingeton (11), Suzy Merchant (13), Katie Meier (16), Sharon Versyp (15), Brenda Frese (19), Lisa Bluder (21), Kim Mulkey (21), Sue Semrau (23), Charli Turner Thorne (25), & Tara Vanderveer (36).

Perhaps I’m not understanding your numbers in this category as well because Versyp and Frese should both have higher numbers in my head due to their previous stops at P5 schools, Indiana and Minnesota, respectively. Do you mean just at their current schools?

I think it's just at their current school. C Viv's been at Rutgers since 95-96 season (25 total seasons). She was at Iowa for 12 seasons prior to that.

Quote:
3 Black women have 10+ years experience: Nikki Fargas (10 seasons), Dawn Staley (13) & C. Vivian Stringer (26).

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/11/21 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
Wisconsin adds 3 ACs ... Barnosky comes with Moseley from BU, Merritt joins from Illinois and Doty (former UConn player)

https://uwbadgers.com/news/2021/4/9/womens-basketball-moseley-completes-coaching-staff.aspx

I might have to follow the Wisconsin Badgers in the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: 04/11/21 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:
Miami has hired Shenise Johnson as AC. One of their recent great players.

https://miamihurricanes.com/news/2021/04/06/cane-great-coming-home/

Great to see WNBA players getting opportunities !!

Yes.👍

PostPosted: 04/11/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:
Now, add in the demographics on the men’s side. How many women are getting head-coaching or even assistant coaching jobs on upper level men’s teams? Male coaches may get frustrated on the women’s side, but that’s nothing compared to women wanting to work on the men’s side. And guess which side pays more money to head and assistant coaches? Hint - it’s not the women’s teams....

+1

This, and also, if a male coach is frustrated about finding fewer opportunities because he sees more female coaches getting hired, then he is upset because things are less unequal than they used to be.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/11/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:
Wisconsin adds 3 ACs ... Barnosky comes with Moseley from BU, Merritt joins from Illinois and Doty (former UConn player)

https://uwbadgers.com/news/2021/4/9/womens-basketball-moseley-completes-coaching-staff.aspx

I might have to follow the Wisconsin Badgers in the foreseeable future.

What an opportunity for Doty to go from no college coaching experience to the B1G.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/11/21 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Do you mean just at their current schools?

Yes. It was more of an examination of hiring than coaching history. But I see the confusion, so I edited the wording to clarify that.

undersized_post wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:
Now, add in the demographics on the men’s side. How many women are getting head-coaching or even assistant coaching jobs on upper level men’s teams? Male coaches may get frustrated on the women’s side, but that’s nothing compared to women wanting to work on the men’s side. And guess which side pays more money to head and assistant coaches? Hint - it’s not the women’s teams....

+1

Oh, 100%. I wasn't trying to make an argument against female hiring in any way, just to clarify. I was just putting out the numbers. I'm a huge proponent of women in basketball. Obvi, that's why I'm here.

I'd love to point out that of the last 14 Power 5 Head Coaching hires, it's seven black women, six white women and one man. That's a staggering (and awesome) trend-shift that looks like it's going to persist. Vic Schaefer might be the last of his breed.

PostPosted: 04/11/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Weren't women hired for the majority of HC positions back in the early days of NCAA women's basketball, say 1980's? When did the number of male HC's peak?

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/12/21 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just like to repeat: We need more women coaching club and high school -- a lot more women.

If you're reading this and have the time, volunteer somewhere. Coaches and athletic directors are always on the lookout for women who want to coach.

PostPosted: 04/12/21 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only reason for the Drake coach to stay in Iowa, is if Bludder or Finley were going anywhere soon, and that is not going to happen.

She will make enough money that her folks can come to games whenever they want, in Oklahoma.

Going from a mid-to low Division I conference to a Power 5 conference - not to many coaches who were in the MVC and have jumped to the "big time" have NOT done well. Three come to mind right off the top:
K. Bennett at Evansville - Indiana University and even Northern Illinois - completely out of coaching
L. Stone at Drake (and she won with BUDDER's recruits not hers when they went to the sweet sixteen - Wisconsin- now at St. Louis U.
C. Burnett at Missouri State (Southwest Missouri State with Stiles) - Michigan - out of coaching

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/12/21 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Just like to repeat: We need more women coaching club and high school -- a lot more women.

If you're reading this and have the time, volunteer somewhere. Coaches and athletic directors are always on the lookout for women who want to coach.

I have done quite a bit of stuff with major summer recruiting events and the number of men coaching vs women is staggering. I have no idea what the percentage is, but I would be shocked if it was less than 80-85% men. And quite honestly, several should NOT be coaching young women.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/12/21 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Vandy forum, the coaching decision is between Shae Ralph (Asst UCONN) or Mark Campbell (Asst at Oregon). Both have a Vandy connections as Ralph’s husband Tom was an assistant at Vanderbilt and Campbell’s wife Ashley played for Jim Foster while he coached the Dores

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/12/21 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semeka Randall Lay named head coach at Winthrop. Sorry if already posted and I missed it.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/12/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice for Semeka. She had a rough start as HC at Alabama A&M, hope things go better for her at Winthrop.

What was Mark Campbell's wife's birth name? I might remember her...or not.

PostPosted: 04/12/21 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tulsa hires Arizona State assistant Angie Nelp as new head coach.

https://tulsahurricane.com/news/2021/4/12/womens-basketball-oklahoma-native-angie-nelp-named-tulsa-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/12/21 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Nice for Semeka. She had a rough start as HC at Alabama A&M, hope things go better for her at Winthrop.

Semeka was actually the HC at Ohio U before Alabama A&M, and things didn't go very well for her there either. Third time's a charm?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/12/21 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Ashley Smith. Out of Oregon a city powerhouse prep program. Her father Brad is in the women’s basketball Hall of Fame for coaching that program. She was at Vandy from 1997-2000 at which time her dad worked for Foster as an assistant coach. She was only at Vandy for 3 years. She was one of the reasons that Chantel Anderson went to Vanderbilt as Anderson was from nearby Vancouver Washington and played on Smith AAU team. The two of them might’ve played for a year for The Commodores before Smith left and Ashley McE Took over a point guard duties.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/12/21 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Ashley Smith. Out of Oregon a city powerhouse prep program. Her father Brad is in the women’s basketball Hall of Fame for coaching that program. She was at Vandy from 1997-2000 at which time her dad worked for Foster as an assistant coach. She was only at Vandy for 3 years. She was one of the reasons that Chantel Anderson went to Vanderbilt as Anderson was from nearby Vancouver Washington and played on Smith AAU team. The two of them might’ve played for a year for The Commodores before Smith left and Ashley McE Took over a point guard duties.

Here she is vs Tennessee (think you might enjoy this)

https://youtu.be/lDVFS3sW08M

IM in OC

PostPosted: 04/12/21 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to this New England sportswriter it is Shea Ralph to Vandy.

https://twitter.com/BCgenius/status/1381793398642733056

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/13/21 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
According to this New England sportswriter it is Shea Ralph to Vandy.

https://twitter.com/BCgenius/status/1381793398642733056

Wonder who will replace her at UConn.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/13/21 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a tweet which opines that a big and a wing will follow Ralph to Vandy.

To add to the conjecture: if it's ONO, that would explain the Juhasz signing and perhaps Geno's pointed remarks re: Ono's senior year at UConn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 11 of 49

Jump to: