Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Schedule
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/28/21 9:38 pm    ::: 2021 WNBA Schedule Reply Reply with quote

Anybody seen anything anywhere?

PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps a holdup is whether the wubble is the option again. I liked the format, but I’m sure the players would prefer large crowds.

If the wubble format is not going to be utilized, I’m not sure how the league would handle only allowing x% (less than 100%) of spectators at each individual team’s arenas. Which season ticket holders would get to go? The wubble seems a better solution until all the arenas can be fully opened, maybe 2022 season.

PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Perhaps a holdup is whether the wubble is the option again. I liked the format, but I’m sure the players would prefer large crowds.

Considering I've heard from my Dream ticket rep twice in the past week talking up the first season in the new arena, I doubt the wubble is on the table.

More likely they're delaying in case the Olympics get cancelled, which seems less and less likely.

PostPosted: 03/31/21 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From an E-mail I got from the Sun yesterday:

HOMEWARD BOUND
For the 2021 season we are thrilled to announce that we will be back home at Mohegan Sun Arena. The WNBA is currently putting the final touches on the schedule and as soon as it is finalized, you will be the first to see it!

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/31/21 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

If the wubble format is not going to be utilized, I’m not sure how the league would handle only allowing x% (less than 100%) of spectators at each individual team’s arenas. Which season ticket holders would get to go? The wubble seems a better solution until all the arenas can be fully opened, maybe 2022 season.

No shade, but the W could probably do limited capacity/social distance and accommodate most season ticket holders.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/12/21 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rumor has it the schedule will be released this week

PostPosted: 04/12/21 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

One minute before the draft.

PostPosted: 04/12/21 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:

One minute before the draft.

why the rush Wink

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/12/21 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/hoopfeed/status/1380588569870274560

Quote:
Hearing that the #WNBA schedule will be announced Tuesday. We will see!

Soooooo tomorrow – perhaps.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 04/13/21 5:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was literally thinking of this in the shower yesterday. It dawned on me that it was mid April and no schedule. Glad we'll be getting one soon.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/13/21 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I was literally thinking of this in the shower yesterday. It dawned on me that it was mid April and no schedule. Glad we'll be getting one soon.

The things we think of in the shower.....ha

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/13/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IT'S OUT!!!!!!

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnbas-25th-regular-season-tips-off-may-14/

Quote:
The WNBA today released its 2021 regular season game schedule with the league tipping off its landmark 25th season on Friday, May 14 with a weekend of action featuring all 12 teams. The league will unveil its complete television schedule in the upcoming weeks. ...

Due to the ongoing pandemic and the Olympic break, instead of the originally planned 36 games, the 2021 regular season will see each team play 32 games – 16 at home and 16 on the road.

Maybe someday they'll actually get to play a 36-game season like they agreed upon well over a year ago now. Crying or Very sad Still, 32's a hell of a lot better than 22! Very Happy

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're doing 32 so they can fit in an All Star Game

PostPosted: 04/13/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's also this:

Quote:
Select elements for the WNBA’s historic 25th season include the inaugural Commissioner’s Cup

PostPosted: 04/13/21 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
There's also this:

Quote:
Select elements for the WNBA’s historic 25th season include the inaugural Commissioner’s Cup

_______X The one thing that stood out the most !

PostPosted: 04/13/21 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

No actual obvious spot for it in the calendar, though (or for the Commissioner's Cup final). Suggests to me that if it happens it'll be along the lines of the Radio City game, with the US playing Best of the Rest as a warm-up for the Olympics. The cup final might well be at the other end of the hiatus, as a curtain-raiser for the second-half.

PostPosted: 04/13/21 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One team plays 10 teams three times and 1 team only two times.

The two-game pairings are:

Atlanta & Las Vegas
Chicago & Minnesota
Connecticut & Seattle
Indiana & Dallas
New York & Los Angeles
Washington & Phoenix

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

No actual obvious spot for it in the calendar, though (or for the Commissioner's Cup final). Suggests to me that if it happens it'll be along the lines of the Radio City game, with the US playing Best of the Rest as a warm-up for the Olympics. The cup final might well be at the other end of the hiatus, as a curtain-raiser for the second-half.

They announced the Olympic Break as starting July 15th but the schedule stops at the 11th. I will therefore guess the ASG will be July 14th.

PostPosted: 04/13/21 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There do not appear to be any back-to-backs in this schedule Smile

PostPosted: 04/13/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There do not appear to be any back-to-backs in this schedule Smile

Especially with the League sort of "re"-introducing consecutive matchups in the same location (they flirted with that concept ever so slightly in the 2013 schedule), the League seems to really be emphasizing player health & safety this year, understandably so. Even if fans aren't a fan of how the schedule plays itself out, that's definitely good optics for the League if nothing else.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/13/21 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

They announced the Olympic Break as starting July 15th but the schedule stops at the 11th. I will therefore guess the ASG will be July 14th.

Yeah, good point. The league is calling the hiatus Jul 15-Aug 11, but the actual gap is Jul 12-Aug 14. So maybe leaving room for whatever variant of an All-Star Game they go with at one end, and the Commissioner's Cup final at the other.

PostPosted: 04/13/21 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yeah, good point. The league is calling the hiatus Jul 15-Aug 11, but the actual gap is Jul 12-Aug 14. So maybe leaving room for whatever variant of an All-Star Game they go with at one end, and the Commissioner's Cup final at the other.

The schedule is suspiciously heavy on inter-conference games after the break, as if they were trying to make sure everybody had a home game against each conference opponent beforehand

PostPosted: 04/13/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had completely forgotten about the Commissioner's Cup. It is, if I may be blunt, the stupidest fucking thing I have ever heard of.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/13/21 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I had completely forgotten about the Commissioner's Cup. It is, if I may be blunt, the stupidest fucking thing I have ever heard of.

You've always been blunt before, no need to start asking for permission now. Very Happy Twisted Evil

But yeah, I'm afraid the Cup is gonna be one of those concepts that's better in theory than in practice...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/13/21 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

You've always been blunt before, no need to start asking for permission now. Very Happy Twisted Evil

But yeah, I'm afraid the Cup is gonna be one of those concepts that's better in theory than in practice...

To us , but to the players its an extra pay check on the side Cool Cool

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: