RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 Rebkell Fantasy WNBA Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/10/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the 18th pick, the Seattle Storm select Aleah Goodman out of Oregon State!

bbsamjj & the Indiana Fever are back on the clock!!

(And they will be quite a bit for the remainder of this Draft. Razz )

Here’s a link back to the Draft Board in case anyone needs it here on Page 5. Razz

We are halfway there!! *Bernie Sanders voice* I am once again asking anyone who feels they need to PM me picks in advance to do so. Ideally, I think I and everyone would love to get the Draft finished by the end of the weekend! If everyone who’s here gets impatient & wants to just churn out the picks, we might just do it! Sorry bout it! Razz

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/10/21 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, lets move it along when we get to the 3rd Round. I don’t want to wait 8 hours just to watch someone draft Gili Eisner out of Israel or Blanca Millan from Maine. And please shoot me if you see me take Janelle Bailey.

I have to admit, I did not foresee so many players returning to school or simply not applying for the draft. Two weeks ago, we already thought this could be the worst draft in 15 years. Now, remove 12-15 players you thought were going to be in the pool (Westbrook, Cubaj, Staiti, Kayla Jones, Ursin, Boley, etc). I’m not saying these are great players, but that’s the equivalent of a whole round of middling talent deducted from an already weak draft.

PostPosted: 04/10/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana selects DiDi Richards, with the hope she can make it at the forward spot and improve the league's worst team defense.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/10/21 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I have to admit, I did not foresee so many players returning to school or simply not applying for the draft. Two weeks ago, we already thought this could be the worst draft in 15 years. Now, remove 12-15 players you thought were going to be in the pool (Westbrook, Cubaj, Staiti, Kayla Jones, Ursin, Boley, etc). I’m not saying these are great players, but that’s the equivalent of a whole round of middling talent deducted from an already weak draft.

While that’s true, my feeling on this Draft is that teams were never going to value these picks to begin with, particularly beyond the 1st Round (maybe not even through the Top-10). Several good players who took last season off, thus opening up spots for rookies, are now back. At the same time, the 2020 rookies now have a full year of both WNBA & overseas experience, so their overall value I would think has increased. It would all spell doom for this year’s class. Maybe this year’s potential draftees felt the same, maybe they didn’t; But I think it’s a good thing for the prospects going back to school to not be in this Draft – even if next year the ones who would’ve been 2nd-rounders this year risk being 3rd-rounders (or undrafted) next year. At least they can get another year in school – you only get so many years.

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/10/21 12:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/10/21 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bbsamjj wrote:
Indiana selects DiDi Richards, with the hope she can make it at the forward spot and improve the league's worst team defense.

Excellent! And Indiana honestly wouldn’t be a bad spot for Richards, considering how shaky they still are at the SF spot – it really depends on how healthy Victoria Vivians can stay for them this season, and I’m skeptical of Kennedy Burke staying on the team for much longer regardless of Vivians’ status.

Anyway, Milks26 and the Connecticut Sun are on the clock for the next two picks!!

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/10/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:

While that’s true, my feeling on this Draft is that teams were never going to value these picks to begin with, particularly beyond the 1st Round (maybe not even through the Top-10). Several good players who took last season off, thus opening up spots for rookies, are now back. At the same time, the 2020 rookies now have a full year of both WNBA & overseas experience, so their overall value I would think has increased. It would all spell doom for this year’s class. Maybe this year’s potential draftees felt the same, maybe they didn’t; But I think it’s a good thing for the prospects going back to school to not be in this Draft – even if next year the ones who would’ve been 2nd-rounders this year risk being 3rd-rounders (or undrafted) next year. At least they can get another year in school – you only get so many years.

I'm not saying the players made the wrong decision. I'm only pointing out that this already bad draft is even worse than we expected. Yeah, most of these players were not going to make it anyway. There's been talk that even some 1st Round picks will be cut. As a Liberty fan, I'm fully aware that we're first in line for waived players. NY is going to get a second shot at a lot of the drafted players -- maybe even 1st Rounders. And you know what? We're probably going to pass on all of them. NY has their own roster crowding problem and limited cap space.

PostPosted: 04/10/21 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, it just ain't lookin' good this year all the way around for most of the League newcomers. It would be really nice if there was even one expansion team ready to start next year, when the Draft will be particularly deep/crowded. Especially as players are able to replicate Sue Bird's secret to longevity for themselves & extend their careers, an obvious excess supply of talent will continue to persist year after year until there's enough expansion as it relates to teams and/or roster spots.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/10/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was gonna get on a soapbox about needing to find markets and owners and all that good stuff before expansion, but I just did laundry so I don't feel like dealing with soap anymore today. We do need expansion, but we need smart expansion so it doesn't turn into contraction three years later.

(now with spelling variations)
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/10/21 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I was gonna get on a soapbox about needing to find markets and owners and all that good stuff before expansion, but I just did laundry so I don't feel like dealing with soap anymore today.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Queenie wrote:
We do need expansion, but we need smart expansion so it doesn't turn into contraction three years later.

For sure. Reckless expansion would be incredibly detrimental to the whole League, so it really does make sense to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. It’s just a shame that the ones it hurts most are the fringe players who could’ve been good players had we gotten to 14 or even just 13 teams by now instead of 12. Sad But, money/franchise value is the name of the game, as we’ve all come to understand at some level.

All right, I’m gonna go back to fantasizing about being rich enough to own a team now. *siiiiiigh*

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/10/21 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut Sun select Stephanie Watts

PostPosted: 04/10/21 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Connecticut Sun select Stephanie Watts

Excellent! And you have the floor for the next pick, too!

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/10/21 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Owners, markets, cities are out there. At this point it seems like other factors are keeping additional teams from materializing.

But, before we get to cities, owners, markets etc - how hard would it be to add 1 to 2 roster spots on the existing teams? Its crazy why that has never been done. I'm sure the idea has been thought of but, excuses (more likely money) keep it from happening.

PostPosted: 04/10/21 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut Sun select Destiny Slocum

PostPosted: 04/10/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Owners, markets, cities are out there. At this point it seems like other factors are keeping additional teams from materializing.

But, before we get to cities, owners, markets etc - how hard would it be to add 1 to 2 roster spots on the existing teams? Its crazy why that has never been done. I'm sure the idea has been thought of but, excuses (more likely money) keep it from happening.

Optimization of a roster. One extra roster spot is at least another $60k-$70k easily. Regular-season rotations typically consist of 8-10 players, and really not much more other than garbage-time minutes. The other 1-4 players on the roster are really just for when players get injured, of which usually one player at any one time is injured on a team more games than not anyway. 12 makes sense, realistically. 11 was definitely too much of a stretch, causing the players to complain about it. Since they haven’t in the age of 12, the League’s not gonna mess with it.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/10/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Connecticut Sun select Destiny Slocum

Fantastic! Tbh I was wondering when someone would take Slocum...

The next two picks are in!

With the #22 Pick, the Sparks have selected Selena Lott out of Marquette!

With the #23 Pick, the Storm have selected Laura Meldere out of Latvia!

bbsamjj and the Fever are back on the clock!

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/10/21 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Optimization of a roster. One extra roster spot is at least another $60k-$70k easily. Regular-season rotations typically consist of 8-10 players, and really not much more other than garbage-time minutes. The other 1-4 players on the roster are really just for when players get injured, of which usually one player at any one time is injured on a team more games than not anyway. 12 makes sense, realistically. 11 was definitely too much of a stretch, causing the players to complain about it. Since they haven’t in the age of 12, the League’s not gonna mess with it.

Just sad. No additional roster spots, expansion - I think that's just a word that's been floating around in the 'W'. I believe we'll be stuck at 12 - 144 for years to come.

It's just sad to see all this talent go to the way side (Stateside) year after year because we're stuck at 12 and, let's not forget the old staying in the league until their bones turn to dust. I have thoughts on that too.

PostPosted: 04/10/21 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Just sad. No additional roster spots, expansion - I think that's just a word that's been floating around in the 'W'. I believe we'll be stuck at 12 - 144 for years to come.

It's just sad to see all this talent go to the way side (Stateside) year after year because we're stuck at 12 and, let's not forget the old staying in the league until their bones turn to dust. I have thoughts on that too.

And we’re not even at 144 anymore. Increased salaries are great for the high-end players, but not so great – once again – for fringe players who would probably even work for half the min salary. We probably won’t see all the teams have 12 players each for the rest of this CBA.

As for older players, ultimately it’s up to the teams to decide whether or not to keep older players around – Sue Bird & the Storm are perhaps the most obvious example. I will say: It is interesting seeing someone like Seimone Augustus agree to a training camp contract, even when the numbers she put up last year says she can still shoot & is probably worth more than that.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/10/21 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

And we’re not even at 144 anymore. Increased salaries are great for the high-end players, but not so great – once again – for fringe players who would probably even work for half the min salary. We probably won’t see all the teams have 12 players each for the rest of this CBA.

As for older players, ultimately it’s up to the teams to decide whether or not to keep older players around – Sue Bird & the Storm are perhaps the most obvious example. I will say: It is interesting seeing someone like Seimone Augustus agree to a training camp contract, even when the numbers she put up last year says she can still shoot & is probably worth more than that.

Yeah, I saw a few LA games last year, age has kicked in a little but she's a vet and knows how to perform. Exactly a training camp contract. Why? I just wanna play - even if its pennies. Maybe the league should set up a retirement fund/401K. Just so, we won't have to see this.

I think your right with the larger salaries to pay, both the Sun and Mystics have an injured player to pay, a few teams will be forced to run with 10-11 players for the season.

PostPosted: 04/11/21 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Indiana Fever select...

Micaela Kelly from Central Michigan.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/11/21 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bbsamjj wrote:
The Indiana Fever select...

Micaela Kelly from Central Michigan.

Great. Onto the Third Round!

root_thing & the Liberty are back on the clock!!

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/11/21 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the 25th pick, New York selects Racquel Carrera of Spain.

PostPosted: 04/11/21 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
With the 25th pick, New York selects Raquel Carrera of Spain.

Nice. Going Spanish instead of French, I see... Smile

bbsamjj & the Fever » back on the clock!

bbsamjj

PostPosted: 04/11/21 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

N'dea Jones, Texas A&M

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/11/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bbsamjj wrote:
N'dea Jones, Texas A&M

Very nice. Smile

And the Picks are both in for #27 and #28!

With the #27 Pick, the Atlanta Dream select Janelle Bailey out of North Carolina!

With the #28 Pick, the LA Sparks select Ciera Johnson out of Texas A&M!

root_thing & the Liberty are on the clock for the final time today!
(Unless Thibault can unexpectedly manage to get his hands on a pick)

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/11/21 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Nice. Going Spanish instead of French, I see... Smile

Not exclusively, just diversifying my risk.

With the 29th pick, New York selects high-flying, athletic Kendra Chery of France.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: