RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Guess how many international prospects get drafted in 2021!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many international prospects get drafted in 2021?
3 or less
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
43%
 43%  [ 13 ]
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
8 or more
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 30

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/07/21 6:34 pm    ::: Guess how many international prospects get drafted in 2021! Reply Reply with quote

As it pertains to the teenagers who didn't come up through the American collegiate system. Razz

Thanks again to WomensBasketball247 for providing us with a very helpful list, with a summary for each one as it relates to how they're doing abroad and what sort of chances they may have with getting drafted. Knowing these names would not have been possible without all of their hard work in researching & scouting.

This year's international class is considered much stronger than the average one, including last year's. Last year's Draft still saw two such prospects get drafted – both in the late-2nd round, both from Germany: PF Leonie Fiebich to the Sparks, and C Luisa Geiselsoder to the Wings.

Who will get drafted this year? Here are the names:

Raquel Carrera, 6’3 PF, Spain
Florencia Chagas, 5’11 SG, Argentina
Kendra Chéry, 6’1 SF, France
Gili Eisner, 5’9 PG, Israel
Marine Fauthoux, 5’9 PG, France
Goksen Fitik, 5’9 PG, Turkey
Shyla Heal, 5’6 PG, Australia
Awak Kuier, 6’4 PF, Finland
Maxuella Lisowa Mbaka, 5’10 SF, Belgium
Laura Meldere, 6’3 PF, Latvia
Marie Pardon, 5’10 PG, France
Iliana Rupert, 6’4 C, France
Janelle Salaun, 6’2 SF, France
Zoé Wadoux, 5’10 SG, France
Dragana Zubac, 6’0 SF, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Expect to hear at least a couple of these names called on Draft Night. The poll will last for the next seven days...

And if you liked what you read in the International Names to Know for the 2021 Draft, check out their follow-up topic on how a heralded international(-ish) prospect for the future can potentially change their draft class and get themselves eligible sooner (but not that soon – we're talking as soon as 2025, but that's how good she is now! Razz )

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/07/21 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/07/21 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this draft will see an influx of international picks . No real demand in this draft and I don’t see any of these players knocking off the 11th or 12th man unless it’s the lottery teams and that’s even marginal as well.

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 04/07/21 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 04/07/21 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict there will be many picks wasted on internationals

PostPosted: 04/07/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My prediction is 3 or less. With the travel restrictions scouting would be hard, plus 2020 season was truncated, so WNBA scouts probably didn't get many chances to see these very young players. I could see, as pilight suggests, some of these players getting picked by teams that have too many players already though.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/07/21 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am going with 6 (maybe even more)

Kuier, Rupert and Heal will likely be picked in the first two rounds regardless of whether they show or not.

Seattle can barely fit it first round pick and has two second round picks and a third.
NY can barely fits its first round pick and has a second round pick and two third round picks
LA can barely fit it first round pick and has a second round pick and two third round picks
Indy is slightly more flexible but has a lottery pick and two second round pick and two third round picks

I can see all of those teams considering deferral picks with their later round options

If you want names maybe
Carerra, Chagas, Fauthoux and Wadoux

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/07/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem is the limit on the number of players whose rights each team can retain. If you're already there, and you don't think any of the remaining international options would replace someone on your list, then there's not really any point in taking one of them. We've said for years "why not just take Random Foreigner X rather than some US kid you're going to cut two days into camp?" and yet teams still usually go American.

So I said 4. Kuier high, Heal and Rupert anywhere from mid-first all the way on down, and some random wildcard who could be anyone.

PostPosted: 04/07/21 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The problem is the limit on the number of players whose rights each team can retain.

What is the maximum number of players?

PostPosted: 04/07/21 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
The problem is the limit on the number of players whose rights each team can retain.

I think it's four, but I'm not at all certain. And they don't always bother to tell us when they release the rights to someone, so it's hard to keep track regardless.

PostPosted: 04/07/21 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, you look at a team like the Fever, and they already have 13 players on the roster, not counting Allemand. You can only have up to 17 in camp, correct? And several of those players I believe aren't playing overseas right now and thus will be on time to training camp. They could easily make at least 2 int'l deferral picks (if not 3), cuz the other 2-3 non-Lottery picks will be hard-pressed to make this roster anyway.

I voted 6.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/08/21 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I think it's four, but I'm not at all certain. And they don't always bother to tell us when they release the rights to someone, so it's hard to keep track regardless.

Is that four people without contracts? Because last season NY retained the rights to 7 players: Durr, Allen, Talbot, Han, Johannes, Raincock, and Cakir. I believe only Raincock was not under contract. Obviously, last season also had unusual circumstances with the specially created opt-outs.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I think we're talking draft rights and people whose deals expired when they didn't show up. So as long as anyone drafted this year did the sign-even-though-they're-not-coming move, maybe they wouldn't count against the quota and it'd be irrelevant anyway. It's one of those rules that isn't actually written down anywhere public, and I've never really asked a league source to break it down in definitive terms for me. But I know that many years back the league got a little tired of teams just drafting foreigners and holding on to the rights to a big pile of them indefinitely. Rather than changing the 'indefinite' part of that they decided "okay, but you can only do it with a small pile".

PostPosted: 04/09/21 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've had a running mock draft going since August that I periodically adjust. For the Rebkell Fantasy draft, I finally got around to comparing my mock to the list of players who declared. Like two-thirds of my 3rd Round had to be replaced because the players either never declared or have since rescinded. This is going to be ug-a-lee. Do you take Americans who do not even vaguely interest you or international players who don't interest you either but at least have the virtue of being 2 or 3 years younger? There's always a chance that the latter can get significantly better. Of course, there's also the old Carol Blazejowski trick of using 3rd Round picks on local players to manufacture a feel-good story that leads to favorable press. I'm going to split the difference and predict we end up with 4 more international picks in addition to Kuier, Rupert, and Heal. I voted for seven.

PostPosted: 04/09/21 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah when you get to the 3rd round something like this is pretty easy to imagine

25. NY Goodman
26. Indy C. Johnson
27. Atl A. Wilson
28. LA Whitehead
29. NY International (Someone French maybe Fauthoux)
30. Conn Lott
31. Indy M. Kelly
32. PX Baptiste
33. Indy (Internation Mbaka keep the Belgium connection)
34. LA (International Carerra)
35. Sea (Interntional Chagas)
36. LV Baily, Kushlituah, Vaughn (or an International post Meldere)

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/10/21 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to see as many international teens get picked as possible, simply because college players who go undrafted can potentially return to school. Based on the various prospects who have already dropped out, it seems that some prospects don’t want to risk getting picked in the 3rd round, even if that means a more lucrative overseas deal.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/12/21 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Yeah when you get to the 3rd round something like this is pretty easy to imagine

25. NY Goodman
26. Indy C. Johnson
27. Atl A. Wilson
28. LA Whitehead
29. NY International (Someone French maybe Fauthoux)
30. Conn Lott
31. Indy M. Kelly
32. PX Baptiste
33. Indy International (Mbaka keep the Belgium connection)
34. LA International (Carerra)
35. Sea Interntional (Chagas)
36. LV Bailey, Kushkituah, Vaughn (or an International post Meldere)

Fwiw in our fantasy draft, we had 8 international teenagers taken total: One 1RP (Kuier at #1), two 2RPs, and five 3RPs.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know zero about Carerra. Is she any good and would she make a WNBA team now, or ever?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I know zero about Carerra. Is she any good and would she make a WNBA team now, or ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaSwPCPN8bM

Has talent. Had a great weekend in the EuroCup Final Four last week, including three nice finishes in the fourth quarter and the winning free throws with 1 second left in the final. Issue is she's a post who's only about 6-3 and not long-limbed. But she's only 19.

Worth the punt.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/21 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The answer was seven if you count Ayuso

PostPosted: 04/16/21 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Do I get a prize? I wants mah cash money!

PostPosted: 04/16/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three internationals in the first round is the most since 2001. That's more than we had in the first round of the last eight drafts combined. It is NOT a record, however. The most international players to go in the first round was four, in the 2000 draft.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Three internationals in the first round is the most since 2001. That's more than we had in the first round of the last eight drafts combined. It is NOT a record, however. The most international players to go in the first round was four, in the 2000 draft.

The part you’ll leave out is that in 2000 there were 16 picks in each round; 4 rounds.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I don't count Ayuso therefore I win.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: