RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/07/21 1:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I said essentially the same thing last week. Collier is either going to be #1 or she's going to slide -- I'm guessing to the 6-8 range. I find it hard to believe that Bibb and Johnson aren't seeing what we're seeing. Based on Dallas passing up Cox last year, I don't think any bias for the local girl is going to save her. Anything other than #1 will be embarrassing because of all the hype already created around Collier being the presumptive first pick. Think back to all those players who attended, then had to wait a long time before getting drafted. This will be similar. The only difference is that it comes early. Each time Collier is bypassed, it will feel like another twist of the knife. And ESPN will be there to milk every drop of drama out of it.

PostPosted: 04/07/21 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i know they don't really need anymore wings, but i would love didi richards on the lynx.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/07/21 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I said essentially the same thing last week. Collier is either going to be #1 or she's going to slide -- I'm guessing to the 6-8 range. I find it hard to believe that Bibb and Johnson aren't seeing what we're seeing. Based on Dallas passing up Cox last year, I don't think any bias for the local girl is going to save her. Anything other than #1 will be embarrassing because of all the hype already created around Collier being the presumptive first pick. Think back to all those players who attended, then had to wait a long time before getting drafted. This will be similar. The only difference is that it comes early. Each time Collier is bypassed, it will feel like another twist of the knife. And ESPN will be there to milk every drop of drama out of it.

Yup-every drop of drama that they created. Collier is in no way, shape, or form, ready to leave college already. The only thing that will get her is that Texas was sort of a mess her first two years and this last year, under Vic, she showed flashes, but in big games Texas' lack of elite guards really stifled her as the entire defense used all of their energy on her.

What she can do at her size is impressive, but another year of college would her her immensely.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/07/21 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
What she can do at her size is impressive, but another year of college would her her immensely.

How?

PostPosted: 04/07/21 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More indicative to the lack of star power in this draft, but who else has been consistent enough to go #1?

Every top lottery prospect has had bad games this season, some against weaker competition.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/07/21 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm all for the Collier slide. IMO she's just trying to beat Howard to the #1 spot - that I don't see her getting. If she does - damn Dallas - went with the ESPN hype.

Cox was way better than her and Dallas didn't bite because Sabally is much better.

PostPosted: 04/07/21 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
I'm all for the Collier slide. IMO she's just trying to beat Howard to the #1 spot - that I don't see her getting. If she does - damn Dallas - went with the ESPN hype.

Cox was way better than her and Dallas didn't bite because Sabally is much better.

I don't think it would be Dallas falling for the ESPN Hype , but more of not many to pick from the litter. Going with Collier would be the same as Going with Mack or Awak . We have to choose 1 at number 1 at least Laughing

PostPosted: 04/07/21 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/31203857/wnba-mock-draft-2021-version-40-arizona-guard-aari-mcdonald-jumps-top-five

1. Dallas Wings: Charli Collier*, C, Texas. "Whoever gets her, they are going to get a motor, a work ethic. (that's pretty much everybody Vic) She's carried us a lot of nights. Obviously, the next level is a lot [more] physical."

5. Dallas Wings: Aari McDonald, PG, Arizona. We'll see if they bite. But, at this point Jefferson is shaky and unreliable.

7. Dallas Wings: Chelsea Dungee, SG, Arkansas. I'd take her - the Wings need scoring off the bench

I don't see NY going with a PG. I see Evans to Chicago.

Last edited by Milks26 on 04/07/21 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/07/21 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voepel's idea that NY will draft Dana Evans because she's another player from Louisville would make sense if the Liberty's goal is to get to the NCAA Elite Eight and lose.

PostPosted: 04/07/21 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They released an update to the list: https://www.wnba.com/news/six-additional-ncaa-players-opt-in-for-consideration-for-2021-wnba-draft-presented-by-state-farm/ . Adds six (three from the Final Four, three who probably emailed too late and they let them in anyway), removes one. No Anna Wilson, so I guess that storyline gets postponed for a year.

PostPosted: 04/07/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
If she does - damn Dallas - went with the ESPN hype.

I was hyping her before ESPN. Here’s my post talking about ESPN’s Top 25 college players from late November. ESPN was acting like they didn’t even know she was... until she started putting up numbers this season.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=97934&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=237

I’m standing by Collier even though her last game in her college career was disappointing. It’s just one game in which the whole team was mentally and physically fatigued after upsetting both UCLA & Maryland. She had bad games against Baylor but who doesn’t, especially when Mulkey makes you the key focus of the defense.

Collier had a great season despite not having great facilitating guards. One of the top rebounders in the country. Schaefer used her similar to McCowan as her offense was mostly putbacks and FT’s. Didn’t run a lot of plays for her. I believe at the next level that should all change.

I’m not enthused enough about any other player to make them #1... or #2. With Dallas if they keep those picks the difference between #1 & #2 is moot. Who becomes #1 is politics. It should be called #1A & #1B.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/07/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They released an update to the list: https://www.wnba.com/news/six-additional-ncaa-players-opt-in-for-consideration-for-2021-wnba-draft-presented-by-state-farm/ . Adds six (three from the Final Four, three who probably emailed too late and they let them in anyway), removes one. No Anna Wilson, so I guess that storyline gets postponed for a year.

Looks like VanDerveer successfully convinced Wilson to return, as she had said she wanted Wilson to come back for another season since Wilson played so sparsely in her first several seasons.

So then, all my little prospect lists have been updated accordingly.

The international ones (North Carolina's Holešínská is from Czech Republic, Colorado State's Devos is from Belgium) may have a shot. Devos' stats in particular weren't too shabby either. Colorado State always seems to have a lot of European players in their program – Belgium's Kim Mestdagh who was on the Mystics briefly in 2019 graduated from Colorado State as well, I believe.

Baptiste as a highly undersized PF likely will not have a shot, unless a GM thinks she's worth exploring as a SF tryout.

And then there's Asheika Alexander, whose Langston team plays in the NAIA. For context, her head coach there is one Elaine Powell (weren't we just talking about her? Razz ). Maybe Alexander's one of those that has the connections to get drafted?

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/07/21 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

I was hyping her before ESPN. Here’s my post talking about ESPN’s Top 25 college players from late November. ESPN was acting like they didn’t even know she was... until she started putting up numbers this season.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=97934&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=237

I’m standing by Collier even though her last game in her college career was disappointing. It’s just one game in which the whole team was mentally and physically fatigued after upsetting both UCLA & Maryland. She had bad games against Baylor but who doesn’t, especially when Mulkey makes you the key focus of the defense.

If Dallas keeps their picks and they bite I can't stop them. But, I'd rather they didn't.

PostPosted: 04/07/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was mildly impressed by Baptiste. Doesn't put up big numbers, but she's efficient. Even shoots 3s. Between Arizona and Virginia Tech, she shot 56-135 41.5% from deep over 3 seasons. Not a huge sample size, but not insignificant either. At 6-0 with a strong pro body, I think giving her a look at SF would be reasonable. If anyone needs an SF and doesn't know what to do with their 3rd Round pick...

PostPosted: 04/07/21 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

If Dallas keeps their picks and they bite I can't stop them. But, I'd rather they didn't.

The key is IF ______________ x Cool Cool Cool

PostPosted: 04/07/21 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Voepel's idea that NY will draft Dana Evans because she's another player from Louisville would make sense if the Liberty's goal is to get to the NCAA Elite Eight and lose.

Our future starting lineup could be:

Evans/Durr/Jones/Shook/Dixon (2022 pick) with Ionescu off the bench!
New York Cardinals!

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/07/21 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mini draft mindset into Vicki Johnson - NCAA vs overall season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t--k_pXM6Os

from 21:08 to 24:53

PostPosted: 04/07/21 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yiBdMvHNtJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/08/21 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
They released an update to the list: https://www.wnba.com/news/six-additional-ncaa-players-opt-in-for-consideration-for-2021-wnba-draft-presented-by-state-farm/ . Adds six (three from the Final Four, three who probably emailed too late and they let them in anyway), removes one.No Anna Wilson, so I guess that storyline gets postponed for a year.

Looks like VanDerveer successfully convinced Wilson to return, as she had said she wanted Wilson to come back for another season since Wilson played so sparsely in her first several seasons.

I'm hoping that's what it means and not that she's just finished with bball.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/21 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier is signed with Wasserman.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/08/21 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia’s Jenna Staiti and Que Morrison are both returning for one final season and effectively rescinding their WNBA Draft entries. No word yet on if Georgia’s other two seniors Gabby Connally & Maya Caldwell (who were probably lesser prospects than Staiti & Morrison to begin with) are about to do the same.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/08/21 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Georgia’s Jenna Staiti and Que Morrison are both returning for one final season and effectively rescinding their WNBA Draft entries. No word yet on if Georgia’s other two seniors Gabby Connally & Maya Caldwell (who were probably lesser prospects than Staiti & Morrison to begin with) are about to do the same.

Yeah, I just saw that about them. They were potential draft picks for Connecticut on the Rebkell Mock draft.

I won't be surprised if the other two follow suit. After their SEC tourney run, great regular season and for it to end the way it did NCAA - yeah they want more.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Yeah, I just saw that about them. They were potential draft picks for Connecticut on the Rebkell Mock draft.

I won't be surprised if the other two follow suit. After their SEC tourney run, great regular season and for it to end the way it did NCAA - yeah they want more.

Agreed. Georgia is going to be dangerous next year. I love what Joni is building.

PostPosted: 04/09/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cece Hooks and Nancy Mulkey have withdrawn from the draft

Last edited by pilight on 04/09/21 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/09/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Cece Hicks and Nancy Mulkey have withdrawn from the draft

Cece Hicks or Cece Hooks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 48 of 53

Jump to: