RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Way too early top 25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:14 pm    ::: Way too early top 25 Reply Reply with quote

I know this was brought up in the ESPN-UConn bias thread but I thought it deserved its own.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31184173/women-college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-uconn-reigns-south-carolina-looms

Top 10

1 UConn
2 South Carolina
3 Stanford
4 Baylor
5 Maryland
6 Louisville
7 Indiana
8 North Carolina St
9 Iowa
10 Oregon

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As an Iowa fan, I simultaneously laughed and felt sick when I read this line:

Quote:
If Iowa can find a rim protector in the transfer portal to solidify the defense, this team might have Final Four potential.

That's a pretty big "if," Charlie.Laughing Laughing Laughing

At any rate, the annual Cy-Hawk challenge (#9 Iowa vs. #12 Iowa State rivalry game) should be pretty hyped this year!

I'm just so sad the season is over. And, for my team's chances at winning a conference title, so sad that Maryland and Indiana are returning their key seniors. Laughing

Last edited by undersized_post on 04/04/21 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Top 10 look reasonable to me. Note that Arizona isn't even in the top 25. I haven't studied who they have leaving and coming in, but that's going to be a hard swallow for Wildcat fans.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also worth pointing out that it's just way too soon to tell about most of this stuff. The upper crust of the transfer portal would be a final four caliber roster in and of itself!

Which team will be the "Mississippi St" of next year? Pre-season top-10 but then fail to make the post-season.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia Tech is 5-8 spots too low.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bull pucky, Charlie. As usual.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Oregon is underrated. To me they are co-favorites with Stanford next year in the Pac 12. They were very young this season and their only significant loss is Erin Boley. I also think UCLA deserves more than consideration. Even without Onyenwere there is still a lot of talent in Westwood.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I think Oregon is underrated. To me they are co-favorites with Stanford next year in the Pac 12. They were very young this season and their only significant loss is Erin Boley. I also think UCLA deserves more than consideration. Even without Onyenwere there is still a lot of talent in Westwood.

I believe Boley is also coming back. Yes, they will be very tough next year.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/05/21 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I thought I saw that Boley was done with basketball- no draft, no extra year.

(now with spelling variations)
blaase22

PostPosted: 04/05/21 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Top 10 look reasonable to me. Note that Arizona isn't even in the top 25. I haven't studied who they have leaving and coming in, but that's going to be a hard swallow for Wildcat fans.

I was surprised their two posts Reese and Ware were top 15 recruits, how?? Lol

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/21 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I thought I saw that Boley was done with basketball- no draft, no extra year.

ok, I just saw she wasn't on the declared list and made the assumption, but it could well be that she's just ready to move on to other things in life.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/21 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I was surprised their two posts Reese and Ware were top 15 recruits, how?? Lol

agree. that one is a head shaker.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/05/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OTOH, Maryland's seniors are coming back. They're probably ranked too low.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/05/21 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
OTOH, Maryland's seniors are coming back. They're probably ranked too low.

I think their loss to Texas probably raised a few too many eyebrows. Clearly an excellent team, but they are, ironically, the only B1G team that underperformed in the tournament this year. And #5 is already quite high...

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 04/05/21 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they left Arizona off because Aari McDonald is graduating and going to the draft.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/05/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
I think they left Arizona off because Aari McDonald is graduating and going to the draft.

And without her the is shaky.

I'm quite sure A. Barnes was cursing like a sailor when she saw they weren't ranked. "we'll show girls, just wait"

PostPosted: 04/05/21 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

I'm quite sure A. Barnes was cursing like a sailor when she saw they weren't ranked. "we'll show girls, just wait"

Without Aari they are pretty weak. Now it's possible that their run in the NCAAs will inspire a PG or SG to transfer and join them. Sam Thomas is coming back and I've always liked her. Still it's pretty weird when your forwards can shoot threes better than your guards. They desperately need a guard who can score from beyond layup zone.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/06/21 4:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

Without Aari they are pretty weak. Now it's possible that their run in the NCAAs will inspire a PG or SG to transfer and join them. Sam Thomas is coming back and I've always liked her. Still it's pretty weird when your forwards can shoot threes better than your guards. They desperately need a guard who can score from beyond layup zone.

Thomas returning is huge. She’s smart, calm and versatile. Whether Baptist’s returns or not, if Barnes can keep Yeaney, Pellingfon, Puleo, Reese, and Ware in house she has a strong foundation with which to work.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/06/21 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

Thomas returning is huge. She’s smart, calm and versatile. Whether Baptist’s returns or not, if Barnes can keep Yeaney, Pellingfon, Puleo, Reese, and Ware in house she has a strong foundation with which to work.

Adia made a name for herself in the past month. I bet she had a blockbuster recruiting class in 18 months and gets some transfers this summer.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/06/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: Arizona.

When Purdue won the title in 99, they were unranked to start the next season. White and Figgs graduating and Peck leaving was seen as just too much for a team to overcome.

That year they were a 4-seed, and the next year Katie Douglas and a monster recruiting class had them back in the title game.

I wouldn't write off Arizona just yet.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/06/21 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yearney should've taken the final shot in the championship game. She seemed 'more on' during the game than McDonald. The first words out of Williams mouth during her interview was "we know who the ball was going to to" - hence the 3 defenders on her

Oh well woulda, shoulda, coulda

PostPosted: 04/06/21 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Yearney should've taken the final shot in the championship game. She seemed 'more on' during the game than McDonald. The first words out of Williams mouth during her interview was "we know who the ball was going to to" - hence the 3 defenders on her

Bendu Yeaney? Not sure I agree with you that I would put the ball in her hands in the final possession. Her only basket all game was a wide-open layup off of a steal. Certainly a great defender though!

Agree, though, that something less predictable might have been good. Hindsight is 20/20 though so take my words with a grain of salt.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/07/21 6:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Also worth pointing out that it's just way too soon to tell about most of this stuff. The upper crust of the transfer portal would be a final four caliber roster in and of itself!

Which team will be the "Mississippi St" of next year? Pre-season top-10 but then fail to make the post-season.

True. The dust must settle from all the transfers before making any kind of prediction.

PostPosted: 04/07/21 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Bendu Yeaney? Not sure I agree with you that I would put the ball in her hands in the final possession. Her only basket all game was a wide-open layup off of a steal. Certainly a great defender though!

Agree, though, that something less predictable might have been good. Hindsight is 20/20 though so take my words with a grain of salt.

Unless one of the top-10 teams loses their coach, I just don't see that happening. Perhaps a team could go from top-10 to maybe like a top-25ish team, but with what their projected rosters look like, I just don't really see that happening. I think a team like Indiana could definitely have a season where their #7 ranking becomes a 4-5 seed in the tournament.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/07/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Unless one of the top-10 teams loses their coach, I just don't see that happening. Perhaps a team could go from top-10 to maybe like a top-25ish team, but with what their projected rosters look like, I just don't really see that happening. I think a team like Indiana could definitely have a season where their #7 ranking becomes a 4-5 seed in the tournament.

I think you replied to the wrong post but I know what you mean. I don't see any of these teams dropping out of the rankings entirely, but I do have questions (particularly about my own teams lol). Will Iowa be able to finally rebound? Will Indiana be able to actually make shots? How much "growing pains" will Louisville have without Dana Evans? How long will Baylor's and Stanford's new backcourts take to develop? Will Oregon be stay healthy and more consistent? Will the B1G finally have learned how to execute a defensive game plan against Maryland? How long will it take UConn and SC to incorporate the freshmen class into their rotations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: