RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/30/21 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today (Tuesday 3/30) is National Doctors Day. On the New York Liberty's Facebook page, there's a one-minute video in which Paris Kea thanks all the doctors from the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. She identifies herself as "Paris Kea from the New York Liberty."

I hope she can fully recover from the ACL surgery on her knee and play for the Liberty again, though she'll have to fight for a roster spot.

PostPosted: 03/30/21 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Kea is still part of the Liberty family for now. She hosted a Liberty kids event -- I seem to remember it was a virtual basketball camp. They also had a GIF of Paris and her dog for National Puppy Day.

PostPosted: 03/31/21 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabrina Ionescu headlines her first shoe as Nike’s next star
The New York Liberty star will be the face of Nike’s ‘Greater Than’ debut
Nick DePaula (The Undefeated)
March 31, 2021
https://theundefeated.com/features/sabrina-ionescu-headlines-first-shoe-as-nike-next-star/

Sabrina Ionescu’s GT Cut, Run and Jump lineup for Nike:

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/31/21 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice! Its about time!

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/31/21 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Sabrina Ionescu headlines her first shoe as Nike’s next star
The New York Liberty star will be the face of Nike’s ‘Greater Than’ debut
Nick DePaula (The Undefeated)
March 31, 2021
https://theundefeated.com/features/sabrina-ionescu-headlines-first-shoe-as-nike-next-star/

Sabrina Ionescu’s GT Cut, Run and Jump lineup for Nike:

That's awesome. Congrats to Sabrina.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 04/01/21 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Sabrina still not 100%? I noticed she did not participate in the USA basketball mini-camp recently held in San Antonio. It was a mixture of 3x3 and 5x5 attendees.

Guards present
Ariel Atkins
Skylar Diggins-Smith
Jewell Loyd
Kelsey Plum
Alisha Gray
Jordin Canada
Sue Bird
Diana Taurasi

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/06/21 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Link to my mock drafts

My mocks. Decided to do two – how I think the Draft should go, compared with how it realistically will go.

Stormeo I definitely like your "should" draft more than your "Will" draft...

I would be thrilled for NY to pick [Onyenwere] up in the 2nd round. I would even consider her for the first round even though she may be a little redundant with what we have. (I actually think she is better than some of our sophomores). I am kind of making my peace with Walker as a likely pick for NY as I believe she fits both need and what the Liberty are trying to do so I would be happy with that pick. I honestly have been warming up to the Evans idea as well, but she seems like even less of the a need than Onyenwere when you consider Evans would be playing either 1 or 2 where we already have Ionescu, Clarendon, Whitcomb and Jones as options with Durr and Johannes in the as future options.

I just would not be surprised to see the Liberty go guard (or wing) here. And they have so many gosh darn Louisville players on the roster already – it just seems likely that they'd go ahead & add on to it.

Plus, they tried starting Ionescu & Clarendon together early on, so they might do it again – which means they might want some PG depth (neither Jones nor Whitcomb are PGs imo), especially since this is Clarendon's last year on their contract. And by that logic, maybe they perhaps want Ionescu at the 2 in the long term? Probably not, but unfortunately due to her season-ending injury, we really haven't seen enough of her out there to get a good feel on what direction they're going in with her...

Like I put in my "should" mock draft, I really hope the Liberty take a post player (or at least a forward of some sort).

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/07/21 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Collier falls to 6 I’m here for it. Or Mack!
But okay with Walker and her 3pt shot too.
Rather not go for a guard or wing 🙏🏽

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently, Kelly Schumacher has left the Liberty for the Dallas Wings. Winsdr interviewed VJ about her staff, and she mentioned Schumacher with whom she coached in Las Vegas. Also, Kelly's name has been removed from the Liberty website.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Apparently, Kelly Schumacher has left the Liberty for the Dallas Wings. Winsdr interviewed VJ about her staff, and she mentioned Schumacher with whom she coached in Las Vegas. Also, Kelly's name has been removed from the Liberty website.

Yeah, Schumacher-Raimon was in the Dallas release about their assistants a couple of weeks ago: https://wings.wnba.com/news/dallas-wings-name-coaching-staff/ . Means there's an opening in New York, and still one in Vegas from Johnson leaving to take over in Dallas.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephanie White is on the market!

Randy

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Stephanie White is on the market!

Couldn't she make more $ as HC for a lower tier (than Vandy) college team though?

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/08/21 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there any evidence that White is a competent coach? Yes, she had a nice year at Indiana with Catchings on the floor, but otherwise?

Yes, she's attractive, and yes, the fans loved her as a player, but presumably you need a little more on the resume.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Is there any evidence that White is a competent coach? Yes, she had a nice year at Indiana with Catchings on the floor, but otherwise?

Yes, she's attractive, and yes, the fans loved her as a player, but presumably you need a little more on the resume.

How many "nice years" has Stanley had with the Fever? As for resume White was an assistant in the WNBA from 2007 to 2014 and had a 20-14 and 17-17 record with the Fever. I would say she has a better resume than most random assistant coaches who have recently been hired as a Head Coach - e.g. Hopkins, Collen, VJ, Amber Stocks and Derek Fisher. No evidence any of them were "competent coaches" before becoming a Head Coach. Collen had a nice year for the Dream out of 3. VJ had a terrible record in her only year as a HC, Hopkins and Stocks had no track record as far as I know. If it was widely agreed she was a really good coach, she probably won't be working in the WNBA anytime soon.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 04/08/21 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

A better resume to be the last assistant coach on a rebuilding team? She has college HC experience, W HC experience and assistant coaching experience. I don't think it's too wild to give her another assistant coaching opportunity.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/08/21 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

How many "nice years" has Stanley had with the Fever? As for resume White was an assistant in the WNBA from 2007 to 2014 and had a 20-14 and 17-17 record with the Fever. I would say she has a better resume than most random assistant coaches who have recently been hired as a Head Coach - e.g. Hopkins, Collen, VJ, Amber Stocks and Derek Fisher. No evidence any of them were "competent coaches" before becoming a Head Coach. Collen had a nice year for the Dream out of 3. VJ had a terrible record in her only year as a HC, Hopkins and Stocks had no track record as far as I know. If it was widely agreed she was a really good coach, she probably won't be working in the WNBA anytime soon.

I would agree with all of that so maybe she's just better in the pros. But then again, being at the same level as coaches who haven't done well isn't necessarily a ringing endorsement.

PostPosted: 04/14/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw a New York Liberty post on Facebook this morning that included a photo of Asia Durr. Just in case she or anyone who knows her is looking here... I am hoping that Asia is progressing well and is eventually on the way to a full recovery with no long-term damage from Covid-19. And this isn't about basketball; that's the least of it. Sending all my good wishes and hopes to Asia Durr.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For anyone interested, the virtual Liberty Draft Party is going on.

https://www.facebook.com/nyliberty/videos/515615019434594/

Mostly a useless gab-fest, but at some point after the draft is over, Kolb will probably come on and explain his picks. At least that's what happened last year.

Actually, Kolb is talking right now.

Edit: Looks like it just ended. Only a pre-draft party this year. Nevermind.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
For anyone interested, the virtual Liberty Draft Party is going on.

https://www.facebook.com/nyliberty/videos/515615019434594/

Mostly a useless gab-fest, but at some point after the draft is over, Kolb will probably come on and explain his picks. At least that's what happened last year.

Actually, Kolb is talking right now.

Easiest trivia question ever... But too slow on the phone. Razz

What year was Kiah Stokes drafted? Missed out on an autographed Sabrina jersey by that much... Twisted Evil

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/15/21 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting selection from a versatility standpoint. Plus Onyenwere’s ESPN interview demonstrated high character that Kolb says the Libs are looking for.

The Libs now have five players who all fit primarily a 3-spot physical prototype. Hopefully a trade is coming.

I wanted Mack but honestly this pick makes a lot of sense if Mack wasn’t their intended direction. They’re trying to get players that help dictate tempo. Hopefully they’ll establish a second unit featuring defensive pressure. Kind of like Chicago’s second unit the last two years.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu/Clarendon
Jones/Whitcomb
Laney/Onyenwere/Odom
Howard/Allen/Willoughby
Stokes/Shook

Who goes if Durr can not opt out?

Any Chance Allen doesn't come over?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/15/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Ionescu/Clarendon
Jones/Whitcomb
Laney/Onyenwere/Odom
Howard/Allen/Willoughby
Stokes/Shook

Who goes if Durr can not opt out?

Any Chance Allen doesn't come over?

I feel like a trade is likely.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is Mack slipping so much? I don’t get it.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we might still be able to get her at 17

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/15/21 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazing. Just amazing. Now we have six 3-spot players. I like Richards quite a bit but how is she making the team?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 21 of 69

Jump to: