RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 04/04/21 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:
For what it's worth, it would appear she is talking about two of her support staff members and is trying to get them D1 coaching jobs as opposed to support staff spots. That's not uncommon for coaches to try and get their people better gigs.

I'd be inclined to agree with that assessment, but I am not familiar with all the dynamics and nuance of Twitter. Or Ms. Close, for that matter. Frankly, given her recent and steady rise in a great conference, why might she want to move?

PostPosted: 04/04/21 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think some would argue that Close's rise came through her tenure with her #1 class. As for why she'd leave? $$$$$

Catmomma

PostPosted: 04/04/21 3:03 pm    ::: Wisconsin high schools Reply Reply with quote

[quote="elsie"]you know, I don't even know what race or religion or anything about most coaches and its shocking that people would keep lists with all these details in their minds.....its actually racism to do that....classifying people by their race.....

how about hiring someone who has the ability to coach?

I would hope most honest coaches would like to know they were hired because of their ABILITY.[/quote]

Wisconsin produces very little Big Ten Women's Basketball Talent. There's the occasional player or so, but just i not enough. I believe there's only four players from Wisconsin who were recruited to play in the Big Ten. Last year, there were seven kids from the state that sign with power 5 schools, that was the most in about 25 years. Tsipis did not get one. He had an excellent resume for a new coach. He had been Muffets associate head coach for a number of her final four teams and he did a very good job at GW. But the program was in worse shape when he left than it was the day he took over. As a fan, the worst thing was at his players did not play hard. And they made the same mistake over and over and over. I'm still waiting to see how much the buyout cost. But he absolutely had to go.

Catmomma

PostPosted: 04/04/21 3:04 pm    ::: Wisconsin high schools Reply Reply with quote

[quote="elsie"]you know, I don't even know what race or religion or anything about most coaches and its shocking that people would keep lists with all these details in their minds.....its actually racism to do that....classifying people by their race.....

how about hiring someone who has the ability to coach?

I would hope most honest coaches would like to know they were hired because of their ABILITY.[/quote]

Wisconsin produces very little Big Ten Women's Basketball Talent. There's the occasional player or so, but just i not enough. I believe there's only four players from Wisconsin who were recruited to play in the Big Ten. Last year, there were seven kids from the state that sign with power 5 schools, that was the most in about 25 years. Tsipis did not get one. He had an excellent resume for a new coach. He had been Muffets associate head coach for a number of her final four teams and he did a very good job at GW. But the program was in worse shape when he left than it was the day he took over. As a fan, the worst thing was at his players did not play hard. And they made the same mistake over and over and over. I'm still waiting to see how much the buyout cost. But he absolutely had to go.

Catmomma

PostPosted: 04/04/21 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen has only been the coach at Minnesota for two seasons. That's hardly enough time for it to be initially successful and then decline.

fanaticka

PostPosted: 04/05/21 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/4/3/johnnie-harris-named-auburn-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

Auburn anounced their new head coach. Any thoughts?

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/05/21 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanaticka wrote:
https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/4/3/johnnie-harris-named-auburn-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

That's a great hire for Auburn. Excited to see them rise in the near future. Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanaticka wrote:

Great hire. They are gonna get a LOT better.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charity Elliott steps away from Loyola Marymount

https://lmulions.com/news/2021/4/5/womens-basketball-elliott-steps-away-following-nine-seasons-at-lmu.aspx

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Catmomma wrote:
Whalen has only been the coach at Minnesota for two seasons. That's hardly enough time for it to be initially successful and then decline.

Whalen has been there for 3 years now but I agree that she needs more time. There've been a few bumps in the road (Destiny Pitts snafu, for example). I hope she has success there.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephen F Austin AC Rebecca Alvidrez is new HC at D2 UT-Tyler

https://uttylerpatriots.com/news/2021/4/5/ut-tyler-hires-rebecca-alvidrez-as-head-womens-basketball.aspx

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With LMU now open, will April Phillips head back to LMU as head coach? She was previously associate head coach to Elliott, is a known ace recruiter. Cal's recruiting fortunes have improved dramatically.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
With LMU now open, will April Phillips head back to LMU as head coach? She was previously associate head coach to Elliott, is a known ace recruiter. Cal's recruiting fortunes have improved dramatically.

There might be some disagreements about the level of success of Cal's recruiting.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Utah State promotes DOBO Taylor Ignoto to AC. Two ACs from 20-21 Roster no longer on there (Kenney and Burris).

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2021/4/5/womens-basketball-utah-state-womens-basketball-promotes-taylor-ignoto-to-assistant-coach.aspx

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/05/21 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, can we at least agree that the recruiting has improved since Gottlieb.

I think Phillips was the one who got Greene to cone to LMu and also DeCosta. For a while, she was considered the recruiting ace on the West Coast.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/05/21 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington has hired Rice’s Tina Langley to be the new head coach.

https://gohuskies.com/news/2021/4/5/womens-basketball-langley-named-washington-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/05/21 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

https://gohuskies.com/news/2021/4/5/womens-basketball-langley-named-washington-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

And if I'm not mistaken, Rice just won the WNIT by beating Ole Miss, so good luck to the UW Huskies next season.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

How do you feel about this hire? Just asking because you're clearly one of the biggest Washington fans here Smile

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/05/21 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that Tina Langley has been hired as the Washington Huskies' coach, there's an opening at Rice University...

https://riceowls.com/news/2021/4/5/womens-basketball-update-on-rice-womens-basketball.aspx

PostPosted: 04/05/21 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

How do you feel about this hire? Just asking because you're clearly one of the biggest Washington fans here Smile

Well honestly, being hung up on the rumor mill helped ease me into the announcement of this hire. Once I heard Mark Campbell and other potential men weren’t being considered for the job because of apparent political-based donor pressure on our AD to only seriously consider female candidates, (and that we were looking for a coach on the cheap, refusing to pay top-dollar – an on-brand approach for our AD), even though apparently our players all wanted Campbell as their next coach, I had a few days to calm down from being super-duper angry. (I’ll likely forever be upset, but I at least have accepted it all.) If this news had been sprung on me out of nowhere, I’d be... saying a lot more than I’m about to – and irrationally so. Razz

So anyways, with Langley, while she will have to earn my support, her pure coaching résumé is pretty good. The problem is, she’s never lived out west, let alone the Pacific Northwest! I have a lot of doubts that she’ll be able to figure out how to best recruit as a Power-5 school in this area. That’s where a west coast hire would’ve been much better, such as Gonzaga’s Lisa Fortier. Too, who’s to say Langley doesn’t bolt back East if she either gets courted back to there, or simply doesn’t feel at home here? I’m surprised she didn’t end up at Oklahoma or Auburn, for example.

For the short-term, I am curious as to how she cobbles together a roster for next season. Four of our players are now transferring, including out three best ones, so unless we hit the transfer market hard (where immediate eligibility gets granted across the board for the second-straight year), we’ll be super young & super bad next season. We have a great incoming class right now, but I don’t expect all 5 to actually be here in the fall.

It won’t be an easy turnaround, but then, I have no expectations for this program anymore after the past few weeks, since it doesn’t look like our AD didn’t prioritize getting the best coach over everything else. If Langley ends up doing nothing with this program, well, I’m already used to that anyway from the past few years lmao. Best of luck to her.

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/05/21 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/05/21 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Catmomma wrote:

Whalen has been there for 3 years now but I agree that she needs more time. There've been a few bumps in the road (Destiny Pitts snafu, for example). I hope she has success there.

Three season record: 21-11 (2nd round WNIT), 16-15 and 8-13.

funkdafied

PostPosted: 04/05/21 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what’s going on with Oklahoma?

The retirement announcement was like 19 days ago. Her plan to retire had surely been discussed before March 17th.

I guess I just wasn’t expecting it to take this long.

OU men’s coach Lon Kruger retired on March 25th. His replacement was hired last week.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/05/21 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Well honestly, being hung up on the rumor mill helped ease me into the announcement of this hire. Once I heard Mark Campbell and other potential men weren’t being considered for the job because of apparent political-based donor pressure on our AD to only seriously consider female candidates, (and that we were looking for a coach on the cheap, refusing to pay top-dollar – an on-brand approach for our AD), even though apparently our players all wanted Campbell as their next coach, I had a few days to calm down from being super-duper angry. (I’ll likely forever be upset, but I at least have accepted it all.) If this news had been sprung on me out of nowhere, I’d be... saying a lot more than I’m about to – and irrationally so. Razz

So anyways, with Langley, while she will have to earn my support, her pure coaching résumé is pretty good. The problem is, she’s never lived out west, let alone the Pacific Northwest! I have a lot of doubts that she’ll be able to figure out how to best recruit as a Power-5 school in this area. That’s where a west coast hire would’ve been much better, such as Gonzaga’s Lisa Fortier. Too, who’s to say Langley doesn’t bolt back East if she either gets courted back to there, or simply doesn’t feel at home here? I’m surprised she didn’t end up at Oklahoma or Auburn, for example.

For the short-term, I am curious as to how she cobbles together a roster for next season. Four of our players are now transferring, including out three best ones, so unless we hit the transfer market hard (where immediate eligibility gets granted across the board for the second-straight year), we’ll be super young & super bad next season. We have a great incoming class right now, but I don’t expect all 5 to actually be here in the fall.

It won’t be an easy turnaround, but then, I have no expectations for this program anymore after the past few weeks, since it doesn’t look like our AD didn’t prioritize getting the best coach over everything else. If Langley ends up doing nothing with this program, well, I’m already used to that anyway from the past few years lmao. Best of luck to her.

I would feel really good about this hire. She is a quality coach and she wants to be at Washington. She turned down an offer from Auburn on Friday, which would have likely paid more, but could have possibly been an even greater challenge, as far as a rebuild goes. I've heard nothing but positive things about her and congratulations on landing her as your HC.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/06/21 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carlie Heineman is now AC at College of Charleston. She was DOBO and replaces Asia Williams

https://cofcsports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/carlie-heineman/734

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/06/21 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
I would feel really good about this hire. She is a quality coach and she wants to be at Washington. She turned down an offer from Auburn on Friday, which would have likely paid more, but could have possibly been an even greater challenge, as far as a rebuild goes. I've heard nothing but positive things about her and congratulations on landing her as your HC.

Thanks for the kind words. Coaching-wise, I just hope she's the exact opposite our last coach...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 8 of 49

Jump to: