RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/24/21 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just for the record, both Vandersloot and Loyd are eligible to be cored next year (Vandersloot has only played one season under the core designation, Loyd none). Probably reliant on Stewart signing an extension at some point this year, though, because otherwise Seattle would probably use it on her.

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imo the Storm would have to take a real nosedive this season on and off the court for either Stewart or Loyd to want out specifically as it relates to 2022. Not impossible, but still very unlikely.

Not worth dwelling on here in Spring 2021.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/24/21 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Imo the Storm would have to take a real nosedive this season on and off the court for either Stewart or Loyd to want out specifically as it relates to 2022.

This may also depend on what they consider a "nosedive." It seems to me that, when you're accustomed to winning, and take winning for granted, your working definition of "nosedive" may be skewed... If the Storm lose a rematch to the Aces in the Finals, would Loyd think of that as a "nosedive"? How about if they get upset in the semis? If you've won two championships in three years, is your mentality "Finals or Bust"?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/24/21 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Imo the Storm would have to take a real nosedive this season on and off the court for either Stewart or Loyd to want out specifically as it relates to 2022.

This may also depend on what they consider a "nosedive." It seems to me that, when you're accustomed to winning, and take winning for granted, your working definition of "nosedive" may be skewed... If the Storm lose a rematch to the Aces in the Finals, would Loyd think of that as a "nosedive"? How about if they get upset in the semis? If you've won two championships in three years, is your mentality "Finals or Bust"?

I mean, is Stewart in particular a bit entitled? I'd say yes, ever since she said she "took a hiatus from winning in 2016 & 2017" during the title-winning 2018 season. Maybe she was completely joking when she said that... or maybe she was only X% joking. Razz Since she's on my team, I'm fine with that entitlement lmao. Mr. Green

Loyd's been through enough seasons of all types where I don't think a 5th-8th place 2021 finish and missing the semis entirely would be enough to get her to want out – as it relates to on the court. Plus, I get the feeling her mom really likes the organization based on her staunch support of Loyd & the Storm throughout Loyd's time.

It's if we have consecutive legitimately disappointing seasons the next two years where I think issues may come up. Or maybe the new faces on the Storm this year will cause a lot of drama (Poisonous Peanuts perhaps?? Razz ) and make things deteriorate that much quicker – who knows! Again, not impossible, but seemingly unlikely and not really worth dwelling on right now IMO. (Although you're excused, Silky, since to #HateHard is engrained in the very fiber of your being. Laughing )

pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/21 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/Crocs/status/1379125062960316430

Quote:
New to the Crocs team – Kiki Herbert Harrigan 🏀 Happy to have her in our 2021 ambassador lineup!

PostPosted: 04/12/21 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sooooooo fellow Storm fans (or whoever), who do we want the Storm to take on Thursday? I'd like to see us take a PG with our 1RP – Slocum would be a local product, we've had a few Stanford players in camp over the years so it could be Williams, and we've drafted a couple West Virginia players before somewhat recently so maybe Gondrezick. Shyla Heal out of Australia to me seems the likeliest option since we've taken international players in the first round the past two Drafts. But if not Heal at 11, I'd like to see us get an international deferral pick with at least one of if not both of the 2nd rounders – maybe a post and another guard of some sort? If Magbegor opts not to show up until after the Olympics, that could open the door for a post player of some sort, who knows. I'm hopeful that I'll like this year's 1RP better than last year's! Razz

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/13/21 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think positionally a post player is the most obvious need regardless. Unless you think Samuelson or Herbert Harrigan are playing the 4 (I doubt they're hoping that for KLS; they might be for MHH) there are only 4 posts on the roster. And one of them's Candice Dupree. The problem is there might not be any posts worth taking around that part of the draft.

On the bright side, they're in the sort of area of the draft where someone might slide, and their roster doesn't leave them absolutely locked in to anything in particular. Even without knowing what their 'board' might look like, I wouldn't be surprised if they get someone who's something like 5th or 6th on it. Personally, if I were a Storm fan, I'd be overjoyed if Onyenwere slid that far (but I doubt it happens).

PostPosted: 04/13/21 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I think positionally a post player is the most obvious need regardless. Unless you think Samuelson or Herbert Harrigan are playing the 4 (I doubt they're hoping that for KLS; they might be for MHH) there are only 4 posts on the roster. And one of them's Candice Dupree. The problem is there might not be any posts worth taking around that part of the draft.

On the bright side, they're in the sort of area of the draft where someone might slide, and their roster doesn't leave them absolutely locked in to anything in particular. Even without knowing what their 'board' might look like, I wouldn't be surprised if they get someone who's something like 5th or 6th on it. Personally, if I were a Storm fan, I'd be overjoyed if Onyenwere slid that far (but I doubt it happens).

For this League, I always say: When in doubt, get a post player! But I agree, I don't see a post player (aka someone who's more of a 5 than a 4) worth taking in the 1st round. A few true 4s maybe worth taking, but unless someone like Mack slides alllllll the way to 11, there doesn't seem to be a good fit out there. I wouldn't hate drafting someone like Iliana Rupert at 11, but her career availability will be wonky even if she is interested in showing up in future years. Still, our 1RP if not a deferral pick may end up getting cut this year anyway.

IMO the problem with taking Onyenwere or any other SF is that we've already committed quite a bit to Samuelson based on how we got her (and Herbert Harrigan to a much lesser extent, but only if you consider her more of a 3 than 4 for this exercise – I personally see her the opposite way positionally). Taking a SF may mean that at least one of them between Samuelson and the rookie ends up roadblocking the other (even if MHH is played exclusively as a 4). And then you add in Talbot and/or Young – I'd be surprised if at least one of them didn't end up making the team, considering they're both cheap & experienced. SF is clearly our least stable position right now, and I think adding any more players there would make it even more chaotic.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/13/21 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All 2021 regular-season Storm home games to be played at Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett.

Full schedule: https://storm.wnba.com/schedule/#?season=2021&seasontype=02

Home games vs. away games: https://twitter.com/seattlestorm/status/1382045482864680962

Definitely not ideal for those of us that live in the South Sound, but then, this season was never gonna be a full return to normalcy anyway.

I for one now hope Sue Bird plays through 2022, which is presumably when we'll start playing games in Climate Pledge Arena. I'd hate for her final season to take place outside of Seattle itself, especially if arena capacities are still limited by this coming autumn.

BelloFratello

PostPosted: 04/13/21 4:19 pm    ::: Storm promote new GM Reply Reply with quote

https://storm.wnba.com/news/seattle-storm-promotes-talisa-rhea-to-general-manager/

PostPosted: 04/13/21 4:33 pm    ::: Re: Storm promote new GM Reply Reply with quote

BelloFratello wrote:
https://storm.wnba.com/news/seattle-storm-promotes-talisa-rhea-to-general-manager/

Congratulations, Talisa! The timing is interesting, seeing as we're only two days away from the Draft. Perhaps Valavanis has slowly been training Rhea to take over the GM role since those trades during the onset of free agency were made that caused quite a stir...

Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/21 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do we have here? Is this giving Bibb and those Dallas fans who were ready to cut KLS to make room for unproven rookies reason to pause? 🤔

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/13/21 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

What do we have here? Is this giving Bibb and those Dallas fans who were ready to cut KLS to make room for unproven rookies reason to pause? 🤔

No..... Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow

PostPosted: 04/15/21 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
I might be one of the few that think there’s something there with Katie Lou..

I remember when SEA traded for Natasha Howard, and I prophetically said: Arrow

Admiral_Needa wrote:
I like Howard in general, and I definitely like the price... Idea

With Katie Lou, I definitely like her, but I don't like the price... Confused

craigmont

PostPosted: 04/15/21 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I remember when SEA traded for Natasha Howard, and I prophetically said: Arrow

Admiral_Needa wrote:
I like Howard in general, and I definitely like the price... Idea

With Katie Lou, I definitely like her, but I don't like the price... Confused

Judging by her Euroleague perfomance, it's possible she's a better player right now than anyone you could get in the draft. If there were a Stewie at #1 this year, the pick would have probably never passed through Seattle's hands anyway.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/15/21 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been following Katie Lou in Euroleague as well. In fact, before the Free Agent period started, my hope was that SEA would acquire her, but at a price lower than Charli Collier/Awak Kuier.. Confused

The trade that I was hoping for, was along the lines of: SEA trades Howard to CHI for Diamond DeShields (DD had a down year, CHI has Copper, Williams, could draft a SF from the #7), let Clark and Whitcomb leave for bigger salaries, then use the salary cap room to sign Candace Parker to fill the hole left at center. Dallas, who has too many players and has to make a trade to free up a roster spot for their draft picks, then sends Katie Lou to SEA for a pick next year. Idea

At present, it looks like SEA is going to try to do what LV did last year to make the Finals, and have Stewart/Wilson play like a MVP in order to make up for the loss at center. They can do it, but that's what I call winning it the hard way... Shocked

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/15/21 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
The trade that I was hoping for, was along the lines of: SEA trades Howard to CHI for Diamond DeShields (DD had a down year, CHI has Copper, Williams, could draft a SF from the #7)]

Smile

PostPosted: 04/15/21 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
The trade that I was hoping for, was along the lines of: SEA trades Howard to CHI for Diamond DeShields (DD had a down year, CHI has Copper, Williams, could draft a SF from the #7)]

Smile

I said oops up side the head, said oops upside the head.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cool Idea

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/15/21 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG: Bird/Canada/Williams
SG: Loyd/Prince/Laksa/Gorecki
SF: Samuelson/Burke/Talbot/Young
PF: Stewart/Dupree/Herbert Harrigan/Jones
C: Russell/Magbegor

That's 17. Who ya got for the final 12?

I would cut Laksa, Gorecki, Talbot, Young, and Jones. I don't like the idea of Prince making the final roster, but I highly doubt she gets cut at this point.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/15/21 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You left out Kucowski! But yes, my best guess would be the same.

I don't think she's planning to, but that would also leave enough room to temporarily suspend Magbegor if she shows up late, and keep a 13th. Getting Williams at 18 instead of 11 saves about 3 grand.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
You left out Kucowski! But yes, my best guess would be the same.

I don't think she's planning to, but that would also leave enough room to temporarily suspend Magbegor if she shows up late, and keep a 13th. Getting Williams at 18 instead of 11 saves about 3 grand.

Whoops! Laughing But am I gonna edit it above? No. Cuz did I say what I said? Yes. Mr. Green I almost want Magbegor just to stay in Australia until the Olympics. Otherwise having to fly all over the Pacific Ocean (and throughout the States) is gonna tire her out come playoff time and I don't want there to be extra risk for her to get hurt. Embarassed

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 04/16/21 5:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

I was thinking the same thing when she beat Stewie for euro league 1st team. Stewie only got 2 team.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I was thinking the same thing when she beat Stewie for euro league 1st team. Stewie only got 2 team.

They're asked to do completely different things. No one at UMMC ever really piles up stats because they've got eight global all-stars on their roster, and blow their opponents out in 90% of their games. Samuleson and Hayes have to carry the offense to a much greater extent for Avenida.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We gave up high value to get Samuelson, so I hope she’s still penciled in as our SF starter. My concern now is that Burke could be the better fit with the starters since she’s more defense-oriented than Samuelson. I know Samuelson’s been doing really well overseas, but it’s still possible that we essentially gave up a #1 Pick for a player who’s about to play directly behind someone we gave up a #11 Pick for. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 16 of 26

Jump to: