RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA undervalued WCBB TV rights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/21 10:08 am    ::: NCAA undervalued WCBB TV rights Reply Reply with quote

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2021/march-madness-womens-tournament-more-tv-money-1234626484/

Quote:
The women’s tournament is given 15.9% of the ESPN contract, a number the NCAA says is chosen by a third party, which puts its 2019 media haul at $6.1 million. That’s just $2 million (or about 50%) more than the NIT—the invitational for teams not good enough for the NCAA’s 68-team March Madness field—despite the fact that the women’s event in 2019 featured twice as many games and its final was viewed by nearly five times as many people.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:00 pm    ::: Re: NCAA undervalued WCBB TV rights Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2021/march-madness-womens-tournament-more-tv-money-1234626484/

Quote:
The women’s tournament is given 15.9% of the ESPN contract, a number the NCAA says is chosen by a third party, which puts its 2019 media haul at $6.1 million. That’s just $2 million (or about 50%) more than the NIT—the invitational for teams not good enough for the NCAA’s 68-team March Madness field—despite the fact that the women’s event in 2019 featured twice as many games and its final was viewed by nearly five times as many people.

Just another way for the MAN to keep the women in the shadows smh .

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excellent Article. The value of TV rights has been changing dramatically over the past several years. When the current rights package was created one of the goals was to give more exposure to other championships Since then the proliferation of other sports channels has exploded TV rights. The contract for SEC football with CBS Sports is worth $55 million per year, but that amount will rise roughly 500% in 2024 in its new contract with ESPN. The current contract for the NCAA championships was signed in 2011 and runs through 2024. I don't know how the NCAA will negotiate the contract going forward (individually by sport or combined), but I suspect the rights fee will go up by 500% or more.

I also wonder about the allocation. While there are other valuable sports, most notably baseball and softball, the Women's basketball championship is the jewel. The article suggests the NIT is allocated roughly 2/3 of what the women's tournament gets. A more appropriate allocation of 25% would put the Women's tournament in the black.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the same thing I've been saying about the NBA and the W. The TV rights should be worth a whole lot more than what they got but the old men in charge didn't push for it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: