View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Aari McDonald G tiny ASU

Sorry, just had to laugh at this! Laughing

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/04/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Continued from post on previous page my list of players that actually make a roster from this draft

If I was going to take it a step further and add names to the spots I would come up with something like

1. Dallas Kuier 2. Dallas Collier 3. Atl Davis 4. Indy McDonald/Onyenwere 5. Dallas Dungee/Onyenwere 6. NY Walker
7. Dallas Mack 8. Chi Evans 9. Minn Guirantes 10. LA Carrington/Onyenwere 11. Sea Williams 12. LV Richards/Onyenwere

13. Dallas Rupert 14. LV Thompson 15. Atl Slocum 16. Chi Gondezick 17. NY N. Jones 18. Heal
19. Indy Perry 20 Conn Mangakahia 21. Conn Boley 22. LA Staiti 23. Sea Wilson 24. Indy Pollium

forgot Oneynwere just going to add her to list of 10 and add her to some above options
based on that my making a roster opening day list is
10-12 close to definite (I feel like anyone from this list cut by their original draft team will get picketed up somewhere else)
Kuier
Collier
Davis
McDonald
Dungee
Onyenwere
Walker
Mack
Evans
Guirantes
Carrington
Williams

8 maybes (so 0-3 of these maybe not the most obvious ones, maybe someone not on the list)

Richards
Thompson
Jones
Gondrezick
Perry
Mangakahia or Boley
Staiti
Someone picked up off of waiver wire by Washington or PX

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For anyone who cares, I've been compiling the stats of these prospects like a madman over the course of the past few weeks. Now that we pretty much know exactly who's eligible, here is the culmination of that effort. Every prospect is subjectively organized as it pertains to their "draftability" within their designated position category. Otherwise, the heights and stats data are simply from their school profiles.

Centers: https://postimg.cc/MnF9wyQ2

Power Forwards: https://postimg.cc/Wtx0vRFf

Small Forwards: https://postimg.cc/0z0SDbtL

Shooting Guards: https://postimg.cc/HJS7vF1z

Point Guards: https://postimg.cc/rRMJjjvW

The full list: https://postimg.cc/7b48jk41

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/11/21 2:09 am; edited 3 times in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/05/21 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After watching Kiana Williams try to give away the national title, I can't imagine her in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
For anyone who cares, I've been compiling the stats of these prospects like a madman over the course of the past few weeks. Now that we pretty much know exactly who's eligible, here is the culmination of that effort. Every prospect is subjectively organized as it pertains to their "draftability" within their designated position category. Otherwise, the heights and stats data are simply from their school profiles.

Centers: https://postimg.cc/nXBFbN6p

Power Forwards: https://postimg.cc/G9tbh4ZM

Small Forwards: https://postimg.cc/PN7TLtHd

Shooting Guards: https://postimg.cc/68JK0YTS

Point Guards: https://postimg.cc/7Cqkvh3n

The full list: https://postimg.cc/gxJq2FVF

Thanks for this!

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/05/21 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
After watching Kiana Williams try to give away the national title, I can't imagine her in the WNBA.

Yeah, she definitely came to mind when thinking of players who hurt their draft stock in the tournament.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Yeah, she definitely came to mind when thinking of players who hurt their draft stock in the tournament.

Ive always had Dana Evans , Kiana Williams & Aari Mcdonald in a tri-pod of being picked in any order. The tourney sorted that out for me , Id obviously want Aari first followed by Evans then Kiana. At least she ended up with the Natti though ! Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before this year, Kiana Williams was always a pretty good clutch shooter. However, this year the looming WNBA draft apparently turned her into a Nervous Nelly -- at least that's what the ESPN crew was saying. I've also never viewed her as a point guard. She became one a couple of years ago when Marta Sniezek went down, and then she stayed at the position. I actually felt that lack of a real PG is what cost Stanford a National Championship two years ago. They were really good -- the only team to beat Baylor. Anyway, I think Kiana is really an undersized SG and would probably be better off without the ballhandling responsibilites.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Before this year, Kiana Williams was always a pretty good clutch shooter. However, this year the looming WNBA draft apparently turned her into a Nervous Nelly -- at least that's what the ESPN crew was saying. I've also never viewed her as a point guard. She became one a couple of years ago when Marta Sniezek went down, and then she stayed at the position. I actually felt that lack of a real PG is what cost Stanford a National Championship two years ago. They were really good -- the only team to beat Baylor. Anyway, I think Kiana is really an undersized SG and would probably be better off without the ballhandling responsibilites.

+1 this will hurt her at the next level. The other 2 actually have PG mindsets versus scorer first . Well at least Evans does , Air Mac's defense is the best of the 3 so that makes up for her APG imo.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
ClayK wrote:
So do you believe Aari McDonald's career shooting from three, or her last few games from beyond the arc?

If anything, one could deduce that as a pro, she’ll continue to be mediocre-or-worse during the regular season but be able to make those shots in the playoffs when it really counts. The last time Arizona was in a postseason was the 2019 WNIT, where they won it all. You might say that there exists a pattern of playoff over-performance, with McDonald as the main explanation...

The big questions for Arizona's Aari McDonald in terms of her being a WNBA prospect are how she plays when 1) the ball is not in her hands and 2) when she is not carrying the overwhelming majority of the workload.

It is possible her shot may improve with less attention focused on her. It would be curious to see her college stats in terms of contested threes vs. open threes.

In addition, McDonald's three point potential in the WNBA would be better assessed if there were a breakdown of her threes made from "catch and shoot" possessions or when they were created off the dribble.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The other question about McDonald is her height, or lack thereof. We're not really seeing 5'6 players in the league anymore.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The other question about McDonald is her height, or lack thereof. We're not really seeing 5'6 players in the league anymore.

If Dangerfield is ROY................

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Before this year, Kiana Williams was always a pretty good clutch shooter. However, this year the looming WNBA draft apparently turned her into a Nervous Nelly -- at least that's what the ESPN crew was saying.

yep. She clearly has some headcase issues. She plays and shoots much better when she's loose and having fun. But in the past she was often the clutch shooter when it was really needed, so not sure what happened here but it didn't help her.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/05/21 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Kiana can sneak (back) into the 1st round.

I admire all players who played this season.

Specifically for Williams, I can’t imagine the pressure of:
-Playing during a global health pandemic, in a country where people don’t all take the virus seriously.
-Playing potentially your last season, but who knows maybe not.
-Playing in your hometown in front of family and friends for the national title.
-Playing the ‘lead’ position, alongside a few young stars who haven’t been to the dance due to the pandemic.

Now I’m not saying I would draft her to my team, but to me the pressure of the moment and difficulty handling it makes sense, again, to me. As people have noted already, she’s been known to be clutch in the past with her scoring, so we know she’s capable.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/21 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:

I admire all players who played this season.

Specifically for Williams, I can’t imagine the pressure of:
-Playing during a global health pandemic, in a country where people don’t all take the virus seriously.
-Playing potentially your last season, but who knows maybe not.
-Playing in your hometown in front of family and friends for the national title.
-Playing the ‘lead’ position, alongside a few young stars who haven’t been to the dance due to the pandemic.

Now I’m not saying I would draft her to my team, but to me the pressure of the moment and difficulty handling it makes sense, again, to me. As people have noted already, she’s been known to be clutch in the past with her scoring, so we know she’s capable.

I agree , but you know people only remember the last game played versus a body of work. Difference between great GMs and good ones IMO.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can’t see williams making a roster.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/05/21 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lashonda Monk of East Carolina apparently rescinded her entry into the 2021 Draft and is now in the portal as a grad-transfer (Source). One less low-tier prospect available now, I guess. Apparently she was able to just change her mind like that.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/05/21 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lol, we're gonna see a team attempt to pass on their third-round pick, aren't we?

PostPosted: 04/05/21 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Yes, she fell asleep in the last two games. But, not as bad as C. Collier in the Elite 8

PostPosted: 04/05/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IDK I think K. Williams could be a role player combo guard in the W. I don't see her as an all-star or even a starter but I can see her as a bench guard. This might be damning with faint praise but I think she can find a lane similar to Peddy, L. Allen or Heideman. Even with her rough games in the tourney I think there were other games where she was an integral part of getting Stanford to their top seed status. Every year there are college combo guards with decent percentages who score a lot of point or get a lot of assists who don't translate and there are others who don't look as good on paper but have athleticism and a kind of maturity that can scrap their way onto a roster I think Williams has that vibe. I also think being more of a role player on a high power more pro like team such as Stanford can be a benefit when looking at that type of player you want in slot 10 through 12.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/05/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:

I agree , but you know people only remember the last game played versus a body of work. Difference between great GMs and good ones IMO.

And generally I’m that couch GM that is easily swayed by small sample sizes Laughing

It’s just I think this season these transition age youth have had to deal with extraordinary circumstances and pressure. So yeah, Kiana had a tough final 4, but she’s not terrible. I still had her as a second rounder about midway through the college season.
I’m hoping Kolb is not the type of GM I am lol

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/06/21 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams has been inconsistent through her career, from game to game, but on the whole, her numbers look quite good. The three-point percentage is there, the A/TO is there, and the athleticism appears to be there.

But I wonder if a WNBA team can deal with her up-and-down tendencies. Would you rather have a reserve who gives you a little less at her best than Williams, but is more reliable, or roll the dice with Williams each night?

PostPosted: 04/06/21 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://postimg.cc/KRJGrZN1

My mocks. Decided to do two – how I think the Draft should go, compared with how it realistically will go.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/06/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
You want us to give up #2 + Bella and keep Megan....you're entitled to your opinion but thank God you're not my GM, no offense intended!!!

Because the Dallas GM has been knocking it out of the park with the decision making.. Laughing

Never said that, but I agree with the follow up post that was made later 😁😜

So J-Spoon for GM! Razz

LOL, yes😎

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/06/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every year there are players picked much higher than expected (last season MHH at 6, Laksa at 11, Jones at 12 and Shook at 13 all went much higher than expected) some prove the consensus right like MHH and others prove the GM was right like Jones. By the same token some players fall much further than expected (Dangerfield, Holmes, Mompremier and Charles) again some prove the consensus right Dangerfield, Charles other prove the GMs right Holmes, Mompremier (though I still hold out hope for both making big strides in the future.

Who is going to be this years unexpected high pick? And who is going to be this years unexpected fall? (Again the unexpected high pick or fall doesn't necessarily mean the player won't succeed or flop as their pick might suggest).

My top three might get picked higher than expected players are
N. Jones (Jones has the modern big game and athleticism that someone might be willing to take a chance on late first round early second round)
Staiti (Staiti's legit 5 spot size might get her an unexpected jump for a team looking for that 5th post, the old you can't teach size)
Mangakahia (A team looking for a back up PG might think Mangakahia's skill is worth betting and as she gets further along in her recovery the things that slowed her down will be further in the rear view mirror. Being slightly older and mature can work in her favor for a team looking for an immediate role player Maybe Seattle at 11 or Atl at 15 takes a look)

Top 3 might fall
Mack (we see her as a lottery pick but I could see her old school post game maybe lead to a slight fall, end of first round instead of lottery while someone like Walker might jump ahead of her in the post big board)
Evans (I really like Evans but I think with McDonald re-establishing herself as the top small guard Evans might get passed over a few times while the larger Dungee, Guirantes and Carrington and the greater need for posts at the top of the draft leads to Evans falling to the 8-10 range or possibly even into the top of the 2nd round).
Richards (this is less controversial as some of the consensus is that she won't translate but most of the season she was mid first round as time has gone on she has been slipping, I could see if GMs don't believe she can play any point at the next level, and her complete lack of a 3 ball could lead to her dropping late 2nd round to 3rd round. If she does I wouldn't want to be competing with her for a last roster spot as I think her intangibles and intensity could lead to her beating out someone higher than her on the septs chart.)

who do you have as the unexpected risers and fallers in the upcoming draft?

Last edited by J-Spoon on 04/06/21 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 46 of 53

Jump to: