RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno says move the women's 3 point line back.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/02/21 2:57 pm    ::: Geno says move the women's 3 point line back. Reply Reply with quote

Just read an ESPN article where Geno was quoted as saying, "I was so disappointed when they kept the line the way it is. Like, two lines on the floor [on college courts]. Please. Like another indication that, what, we're not capable?"

Who knows if Geno is serious but for the sake of argument, if he is, do you agree or disagree and why?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/02/21 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno seems to be changing his tune. Years ago he was in favor of lowering the rims for women, but maybe that opinion was for the WNBA.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, Geno has advocated lowering the rims, primarily because he has pointed out many times that women blow so many layups compared to men, mainly because women are, on average, shorter than men and less athletically able to get close to the rim.

Perhaps he believes that, unlike for layups, women are close to men in outside shooting ability.
CompSci87

PostPosted: 04/03/21 5:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or perhaps he's inconsistent and just likes to talk a lot. Razz

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/03/21 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scoring is exciting. Nothing whatsoever should be done to make the women's game less exciting.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/21 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno always says something like that to kick off the F4. It's an attempt to take the pressure off his players by getting the media to focus on something else.

PostPosted: 04/03/21 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They should do it just because kids line up behind the 2nd line often anyways. Having two lines so close to each other is pointless

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/03/21 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
They should do it just because kids line up behind the 2nd line often anyways. Having two lines so close to each other is pointless.

Yup. And when they're so close together it makes it extra ridiculous when TV commentators say, "And she shot that one from behind the men's line, folks!" Rolling Eyes

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/03/21 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Geno should look at improving his own team's percentage before worrying about moving it back.

According to ESPN stats, UConn shot 35.1% in 2020-2021.

That would put them in a five-way tie for 115th place on the men's ranking.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Maybe Geno should look at improving his own team's percentage before worrying about moving it back.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
It never ends.

What would happen if the line was moved back? Defenses would have to defend farther away from the hoop. Then what would happen? There'd be more room for the midrange game to operate.

That would be a good thing for WCB.

taropatch

PostPosted: 04/04/21 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While we're at it, redoing the women's arc, let's use the men's ball too. What's an extra inch in circumference?

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/04/21 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

It never ends.

What would happen if the line was moved back? Defenses would have to defend farther away from the hoop. Then what would happen? There'd be more room for the midrange game to operate.

If ANY other coach had said this, this board would probably largely agree. It is what it is at this point. I think the line needs to be moved back, too. There is zero reason that it needs to be different.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/04/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

It never ends.

If ANY other coach had said this, this board would probably largely agree. It is what it is at this point. I think the line needs to be moved back, too. There is zero reason that it needs to be different.

I'll be back to reply later. Right now I have to go. Should be back by gametime.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/04/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
While we're at it, redoing the women's arc, let's use the men's ball too. What's an extra inch in circumference?

The equipment companies will never let that happen. This way, every school needs two full sets of basketballs.

PostPosted: 04/04/21 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
taropatch wrote:

The equipment companies will never let that happen. This way, every school needs two full sets of basketballs.

Excellent point.

I. too, wish the men's ball was used.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/21 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
ClayK wrote:
taropatch wrote:

Excellent point.

I am not in favor of switching balls. It's not just that the men's is wider--it's also 1.5 ounces heavier or something. That may not sound like a lot, but it makes a huge difference. I couldn't imagine being a high college- or pro-athlete having trained your muscle memory to shoot with that certain weight your entire life to have the ball immediately switched. If that happened I guarantee shooting percentages -- especially mid- and long-range -- would go way down for a few seasons. Yes, players would adjust eventually. But I don't see how to avoid that transition period.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/04/21 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
ClayK wrote:
taropatch wrote:

Excellent point.

I am not in favor of switching balls. It's not just that the men's is wider--it's also 1.5 ounces heavier or something. That may not sound like a lot, but it makes a huge difference. I couldn't imagine being a high college- or pro-athlete having trained your muscle memory to shoot with that certain weight your entire life to have the ball immediately switched. If that happened I guarantee shooting percentages -- especially mid- and long-range -- would go way down for a few seasons. Yes, players would adjust eventually. But I don't see how to avoid that transition period.

When they switched to the smaller ball there was virtually no change in shooting percentages

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

It never ends.

So if they can't do better than 35% where it is now, who's going to step out and guard them farther away from the basket where the percentage would most likely go down?

From ESPN stats:
Last year (2019/2021) they were #1 in the nation at 40% (281/705 in 32 games).  They made 8.8 per game.  

This year (2020-2021) they are #42 in the nation at 35.1% (188/536 in 28 games).  They made 6.7 per game.

Let's move it back another foot and a quarter and see what their percentages are.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Short of moving the line back I would like the rule to be changed that you have to be behind the line both when you shoot and when you land.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Short of moving the line back I would like the rule to be changed that you have to be behind the line both when you shoot and when you land.

Hmm, I don't see the point of this. Seems like it would discourage good jump-shooting form. Also, at no other point in live game action does where you land matter. Can you say more?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It never ends.

So if they can't do better than 35% where it is now, who's going to step out and guard them farther away from the basket where the percentage would most likely go down?

From ESPN stats:
Last year (2019/2021) they were #1 in the nation at 40% (281/705 in 32 games).  They made 8.8 per game.  

This year (2020-2021) they are #42 in the nation at 35.1% (188/536 in 28 games).  They made 6.7 per game.

Let's move it back another foot and a quarter and see what their percentages are.

I don't understand the relevance of these two years of statistics. A coach, like any thoughtful person in the world, can have a principled opinion on some subject even if the opinion doesn't benefit him or her personally.

However, if one wants to scrape around for personal motives, consider that launching 3's for UConn the next three seasons will be 47% Paige Bueckers and two of the very top high school arc shooters, Azzi Fudd and Caroline Ducharme.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/04/21 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Hmm, I don't see the point of this. Seems like it would discourage good jump-shooting form. Also, at no other point in live game action does where you land matter. Can you say more?

Very much so. And it would make officiating the 3-point line virtually impossible.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

It never ends.

From ESPN stats:

You seem to be hung up on making the issue UConn-centric. Wink

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/05/21 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

It never ends.

From ESPN stats:

Because it's the UConn coach that said it.

Addressing the OP with another school would be foolish. When Adia Barnes brings it up, I'll look at AZ stats and see if she has a legit reason for wanting to move it back.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/05/21 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

It never ends.

From ESPN stats:

Because it's the UConn coach that said it.

Addressing the OP with another school would be foolish. When Adia Barnes brings it up, I'll look at AZ stats and see if she has a legit reason for wanting to move it back.

I think it's a general statement and not one based on the coach's own team which, he has said repeatedly throughout this season, can't shoot.

Is it hard to imagine such a possibility?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: