RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Arizona vs #1 Stanford - 4/04/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Arizona
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Stanford
83%
 83%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 18

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/04/21 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
On that note, Stanford has a REAL PG issue next year with Kiana and Anna graduating and no obvious choice that is anywhere close in caliber.

yes, that's why I don't think we will be in the mix next year. I mean maybe...if Anna Wilson comes back, and maybe the Freshman guard (#78 Hoopgurlz so not exactly ballyhooed) turns out to be special. But that's a lot of IFs. Which is also why I thought it would be this year or not at all.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/04/21 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford fouled a lot and turned the ball over a lot. Very uncharacteristic. Arizona's defense must be given a lot of credit for that. (I wonder if the defense is from Barnes or one of her assistants.) But still, the Cardinal gave the ball away too much with too much klutzy dribbling and too much dribbling period.

There are a ton of players in the transfer portal, and probably more entering, so maybe there will be a top point guard there. Otherwise, Van Gytenbeek and Jzaniya Harriel may hold promise.
PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/04/21 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Stanford fouled a lot and turned the ball over a lot. Very uncharacteristic. Arizona's defense must be given a lot of credit for that. (I wonder if the defense is from Barnes or one of her assistants.) But still, the Cardinal gave the ball away too much with too much klutzy dribbling and too much dribbling period.

There are a ton of players in the transfer portal, and probably more entering, so maybe there will be a top point guard there. Otherwise, Van Gytenbeek and Jzaniya Harriel may hold promise.

I don't know if Stanford will go to the transfer portal.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/04/21 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I think we've only been able to take two transfers in the last 20 years. Academically it's really difficult to be accepted...But yeah, we can hope!

undersized_post

myrtle wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:
On that note, Stanford has a REAL PG issue next year with Kiana and Anna graduating and no obvious choice that is anywhere close in caliber.

yes, that's why I don't think we will be in the mix next year. I mean maybe...if Anna Wilson comes back, and maybe the Freshman guard (#78 Hoopgurlz so not exactly ballyhooed) turns out to be special. But that's a lot of IFs. Which is also why I thought it would be this year or not at all.

No offense to Kiana -- I like her game and she had a great season. But her performance in the elite 8, final four, and national championship games was average at best, poor at worst. This shows that Stanford can win even without her. Whoever takes over the PG position next year will have an entire off season plus a normal length non-conference season to gain experience. And with the talent around her, she won't be expected to do too much.

Last edited by undersized_post on 04/04/21 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iluvacc

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Yes, but the question is do they have the grades?

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/04/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

The "problem" with Stanford is that academics wise, 99.9% of transfers probably wouldn't get into Stanford. It's also why she doesn't lose players to transfer and can go so deep. Nobody wants to leave without a Stanford diploma.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/04/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats Stanford! Congrats Myrtle! The 29-year title drought for both Stanford and the conference is over. The Pac-12 can officially now say that it’s the best WBB conference in the country, with legitimacy. Very Happy

Very exciting & competitive game, to my surprise – it was closer & arguably more exciting than that All-SEC Final a few years ago was. Wink

Fantastic that this game and all the other Women’s Tourney games got played despite covid – the Men’s Tourney can’t even say the same. Laughing

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/04/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still can’t believe it.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/04/21 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Based on this game, we truly didn't deserve to win.
But based on the body of work...maybe.

I know the winners shouldn't complain about the calls, but I have to say Aari got the benefit of a LOT of calls in this one. Arizona with 18 FTs, Stanford with 2. In particular I thought Lexi Hull got fouled multiple times driving to the basket.

Congratulations to you and your team. I share your sense about the refs. The game was poorly officiated with too many reach or push fouls allowed and several questionable calls going the way of Aari. She reminded me of Becky Hammon on several plays, falling after every drive and daring the refs not to call a foul.

As for Stanford they were the best and deepest team all year. And even if they weren't at their best they played just well enough in both games this weekend.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/04/21 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adia Barnes was the COY this season, in my opinion. Many of these awards should await tournament play, because you often can't tell much from in-conference play, especially in top heavy conferences, and it's only in the tournament that there are crunch-time clashes of unknown steel.

Barnes beat or almost beat the top coaches in the country, who had multiple top 10, top 5 and even top 1 high school recruits, and did it with a #12 (Reese), a #55 (McDonald) and a bunch of little-to-unknowns -- coming in second in the Pac12 and, ultimately, the country. That, in my opinion, was a superior coaching achievement to those of the usual suspects who are almost always nominated.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats Cards aka Trees! This team stole part of my Husky heart this season for sure and I've always had respect for Tara. I'm glad she got another title and happy for the ladies as well. Heck, I found myself rooting for several Pac12 teams this season, some fun basketball being played over that way!

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That as a great game.

Congrats to Stanford - hats off to Arizona.

However, just like SC McDonald left points in the air with her missed free throws.

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara was asked if "she's at all thought about going out on top, riding into the sunset and calling a career after this win" and she did sort of dodged the answer and said it was something she would have to think about later. Kinda unfair to ask her that and put her on the spot but . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JypZ1DYcFVU

osubeavers

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Tara was asked if "she's at all thought about going out on top, riding into the sunset and calling a career after this win" and she did sort of dodged the answer and said it was something she would have to think about later. Kinda unfair to ask her that and put her on the spot but . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JypZ1DYcFVU

1. I don't see any sign of diminishment of Tara's coaching or leadership skills.
2. She seems to enjoy doing what she does.

For those reasons I'd be shocked to see her announce her retirement, even at what used to be a called "retirement age" of 67.

Then again here in Corvallis many were shocked when our baseball coach retired after winning his 3rd NCAA championship at the relatively young age of 61.

When she ultimately decides to call it a career, she'll be leaving her successor some proverbial "big shoes" to fill.

Last edited by osubeavers on 04/04/21 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be surprised if Tara quit. She seems to be enjoying herself quite a lot even with the covid year. But anything is possible.

snichols

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that if having gone 29 years without winning a national championship had been weighing really heavy on her, then Tara might retire and hand the team over to Kate Paye. But while I certainly think Tara wanted to win, I don’t think failing to win was eating at her like it might have some coaches. I think she’s really found a way to enjoy the journey and the process in a way that wasn’t alway true in the past, but seemed to come about during the Candice Wiggins years.

Tara is 67, seems to like her life, and Kate Paye seems fine being the coach in waiting.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/05/21 3:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Tara was asked if "she's at all thought about going out on top, riding into the sunset and calling a career after this win"

Jennifer Azzi was interviewed on the sports segment of a San Francisco 6:00pm news show the day before the game and she seemed to think Stanford would win and said something about Tara "going out on top" as if she felt she would retire after a win.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/05/21 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to hoopfan24, wherever she is!

I hope the NC has meaning for you.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/05/21 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Adia Barnes was the COY this season, in my opinion. Many of these awards should await tournament play, because you often can't tell much from in-conference play, especially in top heavy conferences, and it's only in the tournament that there are crunch-time clashes of unknown steel.

Barnes beat or almost beat the top coaches in the country, who had multiple top 10, top 5 and even top 1 high school recruits, and did it with a #12 (Reese), a #55 (McDonald) and a bunch of little-to-unknowns -- coming in second in the Pac12 and, ultimately, the country. That, in my opinion, was a superior coaching achievement to those of the usual suspects who are almost always nominated.

Bingo!

PostPosted: 04/05/21 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah. 3-6 games do not a season make, imo.

The post season has its own awards/rewards.

ETA: rankings aren't the be-all, end-all, as we already know. Teams are much more than the sum of its players' ranking #s.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Stanford for winning it all, but congrats to both teams really....also to the Wildcats for beating UConn in a really exciting game in the semis. This final was a game in which I really didn't care who won, although my sentimental favorite was Stanford, so I'm glad they did, and I hope that makes sense.

This whole tournament has been a pleasure to watch, despite some glitches (bad reffing, losses by my favorite teams, busted brackets), and I'm really sad now that the season is over. Thank you to all who made it possible for this to happen.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One genius moment for Tara is that in the press conference she said they knew Aari was taking the shot and three people went out to contest the shot. I'm thinking back to the 2017 and 2018 FF games where Geno's team played straight up and gave space to Morgan William and Arike O. in those years. A fool me once shame on you moment for Geno, but to me I like the strategy that Tara did: if your money player is going to take it, it's going to be the toughest shot they take tonight. If they give it up, have somebody else beat us. Just a "what if" moment for me as a fan if Geno had that strategy. That's why Tara is such a legend though and has had Geno's card!

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've always thought the "have the best player take the shot" philosophy was a bit skewed. Yes, sometimes do it, but mix it up a bit so the other team can't know what you're going to do. Deke 'em out with #1 running around outside the three. She'll have at least two defenders on her, and in this case a third hedging out. You might just get an open layup instead of the hero heave. Especially when you only need two to win. JMO.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I've always thought the "have the best player take the shot" philosophy was a bit skewed. Yes, sometimes do it, but mix it up a bit so the other team can't know what you're going to do. You might just get an open layup instead of the hero heave. JMO.

Yup, or at least set up a play with the option of passing. i.e. Driving to the basketball with the options of finishing it yourself, step back for a mid-range 2, dishing off the pic and roll or something, or kicking out for a three.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: