RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Bubble comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 62439
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mark Emmert is having a press conference in the morning. Rumor is he will announce his resignation.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2621
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Mark Emmert is having a press conference in the morning. Rumor is he will announce his resignation.


Thankless job...wouldn't blame him if he does. No matter who is in charge of the NCAA, that person will be vilified.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10862



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/21 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
pilight wrote:
Mark Emmert is having a press conference in the morning. Rumor is he will announce his resignation.


Thankless job...wouldn't blame him if he does. No matter who is in charge of the NCAA, that person will be vilified.


And deservedly so -- if you decide to be the public face of an arrogant, incompetent and exploitative organization, what else would you expect?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2621
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/21 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
pilight wrote:
Mark Emmert is having a press conference in the morning. Rumor is he will announce his resignation.


Thankless job...wouldn't blame him if he does. No matter who is in charge of the NCAA, that person will be vilified.


And deservedly so -- if you decide to be the public face of an arrogant, incompetent and exploitative organization, what else would you expect?


Hahahaha. Rolling Eyes


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 62439
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/21 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Emmert did not announce his resignation

Transcript of his presser:

https://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2021/03/full-transcript-of-ncaa-president-mark-emmerts-press-conference-with-media-from-march-31-2021/



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10862



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/21 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, he basically threw the women he hired at the NCAA under the bus ...

"They didn't tell us," he seems to be saying ...

Nice.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 62439
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/21 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NCAA women's tournament 2021: Inside an overdue reckoning over inequity in basketball

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31182950/ncaa-women-tournament-2021-overdue-reckoning-inequity-basketball

Quote:
Prince's post did what Ackerman's 52-page report eight years ago could not. With more than 10.8 million views on TikTok and more than 189,000 retweets -- including from NBA superstars like Steph Curry and U.S. Senators like Chris Murphy -- Prince laid bare an issue that had been simmering beneath the surface for a long time.


You can see Val Ackerman's White Paper here:

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/NCAAWBBWHITEPAPER_0.pdf



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 62439
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/21 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unequal treatment for college women’s basketball players has deep historical roots

https://theconversation.com/unequal-treatment-for-college-womens-basketball-players-has-deep-historical-roots-157555

Quote:
Walter Beyers, the first executive director of the NCAA, fought to get intercollegiate sports exempted from Title IX regulation.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3123



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/21 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA is taking heat for some of their decisions for the NCAA Volleyball Tournament also.

Article:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31218919/ncaa-volleyball-tournament-venue-lack-announcers-draw-criticism-coaches

Tweet by NCAA in response to the 'controversy':

https://twitter.com/NCAAVolleyball/status/1380321927861010433


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/21 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's pretty ridiculous for a network to agree to stream the matches but then not provide play by play. As much as we complain about certain basketball commentators on here, they certainly are helpful and make the game more interesting for less knowledgeable fans. I'm disappointed about this because I was looking forward to watching some of these games.

Also also think the Nebraska coach makes a good point: why play on multiple floors in the same building when you have good facilities at nearby universities?


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10862



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/21 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I think it's pretty ridiculous for a network to agree to stream the matches but then not provide play by play. As much as we complain about certain basketball commentators on here, they certainly are helpful and make the game more interesting for less knowledgeable fans. I'm disappointed about this because I was looking forward to watching some of these games.

Also also think the Nebraska coach makes a good point: why play on multiple floors in the same building when you have good facilities at nearby universities?


Because the NCAA only cares about football and men's basketball, and then only for the P5 schools that generate income.

This is a "sun rises in the east" story ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/21 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
I think it's pretty ridiculous for a network to agree to stream the matches but then not provide play by play. As much as we complain about certain basketball commentators on here, they certainly are helpful and make the game more interesting for less knowledgeable fans. I'm disappointed about this because I was looking forward to watching some of these games.

Also also think the Nebraska coach makes a good point: why play on multiple floors in the same building when you have good facilities at nearby universities?


Because the NCAA only cares about football and men's basketball, and then only for the P5 schools that generate income.

This is a "sun rises in the east" story ...


Update: ESPN has now committed to providing commentary for the opening round matches of the NCAA volleyball tourney. Glad that the outrage of coaches and fans helped them realize they were making a terrible.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/espn-will-broadcast-all-ncaa-volleyball-tournament-matches-with-commentators/article_9b256304-9979-11eb-a88e-47eac4c8d8a3.html


Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3123



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
I think it's pretty ridiculous for a network to agree to stream the matches but then not provide play by play. As much as we complain about certain basketball commentators on here, they certainly are helpful and make the game more interesting for less knowledgeable fans. I'm disappointed about this because I was looking forward to watching some of these games.

Also also think the Nebraska coach makes a good point: why play on multiple floors in the same building when you have good facilities at nearby universities?


Because the NCAA only cares about football and men's basketball, and then only for the P5 schools that generate income.

This is a "sun rises in the east" story ...


Update: ESPN has now committed to providing commentary for the opening round matches of the NCAA volleyball tourney. Glad that the outrage of coaches and fans helped them realize they were making a terrible.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/espn-will-broadcast-all-ncaa-volleyball-tournament-matches-with-commentators/article_9b256304-9979-11eb-a88e-47eac4c8d8a3.html


I hadn't heard that yet - thanks for the update.

I also think it's terrible they reduced the amount of teams to 48 and it was clearly shown they didn't need to do that but still never acted to go back to the normal 64 teams in the tournament.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13770
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/21 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I think it's pretty ridiculous for a network to agree to stream the matches but then not provide play by play. As much as we complain about certain basketball commentators on here, they certainly are helpful and make the game more interesting for less knowledgeable fans. I'm disappointed about this because I was looking forward to watching some of these games.

Also also think the Nebraska coach makes a good point: why play on multiple floors in the same building when you have good facilities at nearby universities?


I’m curious did people complain when espn3 would stream games with no commentary during the regular season? And will this outrage also carry over to men’s sports that are broadcast without commentary on the NCAA website.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/21 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
I think it's pretty ridiculous for a network to agree to stream the matches but then not provide play by play. As much as we complain about certain basketball commentators on here, they certainly are helpful and make the game more interesting for less knowledgeable fans. I'm disappointed about this because I was looking forward to watching some of these games.

Also also think the Nebraska coach makes a good point: why play on multiple floors in the same building when you have good facilities at nearby universities?


I’m curious did people complain when espn3 would stream games with no commentary during the regular season? And will this outrage also carry over to men’s sports that are broadcast without commentary on the NCAA website.


I'm not sure about a few of the questions you raised, but the outrage stems from the fact that the NCAA volleyball tourney has, in recent years, always had commentary for all its rounds. Usually, however, the first two rounds are hosted by the highest seed and the TV rights are then granted to a more localized station. Ex: if Penn State is seeded, the Big Ten network would probably negotiate for the rights to those games. Or if BYU is seeded, they have their own BTU TV-network, etc.

This is the first year that ESPN has agreed to cover all the games. I believe this decision was partly because the entire tournament is taking place at one site. (Like WBB, this is the first time that was going to happen for volleyball.) People said, "Great ESPN is supporting us!" and it felt like a step in the right direction towards more coverage/exposure/investment in the sport. But then when ESPN announced no commentary for opening matches, that understandably felt like a step backwards. Thus the outrage.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/21 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

I also think it's terrible they reduced the amount of teams to 48 and it was clearly shown they didn't need to do that but still never acted to go back to the normal 64 teams in the tournament.


Agreed. Should have returned to 64. 48 team format also gives the top 16 seeds an extra advantage because they get a first round bye. Problem is, though, that the seeds are extra questionable this year because some qualifying schools barely played 10 matches, and many schools weren't allowed to play out of conference.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 6308
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/21 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And according to Deadspin, the NCAA pulled the same stunt with the facilities at the women's volleyball tournament that they did with the ones at the WBB tournament. Guess it's fair to say that the NCAA has no regard for women athletes.

And can I say, just in passing, that Mark Emmert has a face like a fist?



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13770
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/21 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
And according to Deadspin, the NCAA pulled the same stunt with the facilities at the women's volleyball tournament that they did with the ones at the WBB tournament. Guess it's fair to say that the NCAA has no regard for women athletes.

And can I say, just in passing, that Mark Emmert has a face like a fist?


You say women’s athletes, but these women’s athletes are getting a lot more than other male athletes. For example for the men’s water polo championships Stanford had to ride a bus to LA, and based on pictures they had to warm up in the hotel pool. I personally think all the athletes deserve more, but it’s more than just a gender thing that some (not you) people are making this out to be. Like in the example I gave above, did anyone get outraged when the only way to watch part of the men’s water polo championships was on the ncaa website? They didn’t even get espn3 or the same with men’s gymnastics, they don’t get espn or any other big name network, and when they don’t have commentators for some rounds I don’t hear any outrage about how the women get to be on espn and each event has their own commentators.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6507



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/21 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
And according to Deadspin, the NCAA pulled the same stunt with the facilities at the women's volleyball tournament that they did with the ones at the WBB tournament. Guess it's fair to say that the NCAA has no regard for women athletes.

And can I say, just in passing, that Mark Emmert has a face like a fist?


You say women’s athletes, but these women’s athletes are getting a lot more than other male athletes. For example for the men’s water polo championships Stanford had to ride a bus to LA, and based on pictures they had to warm up in the hotel pool. I personally think all the athletes deserve more, but it’s more than just a gender thing that some (not you) people are making this out to be. Like in the example I gave above, did anyone get outraged when the only way to watch part of the men’s water polo championships was on the ncaa website? They didn’t even get espn3 or the same with men’s gymnastics, they don’t get espn or any other big name network, and when they don’t have commentators for some rounds I don’t hear any outrage about how the women get to be on espn and each event has their own commentators.


It's a vicious cycle for some sports. Until there is interest, there isn't money/facilities. Until there is money/facilities, how do you know what the interest is?



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
blaase22



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 4004
Location: Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/21 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is the ncaa so frugal? Where is all the big tv money going besides in their pockets?


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/21 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The points you all are raising are interested and good to discuss, but let me just point out again that the interest is already there for volleyball. The reason for the outrage is that the tournament set-up has been a step back this year when it didn't have to be.

Typically all games in recent years have been TV, with commentary, just spread among different networks for the opening rounds. This year when ESPN took over, that seemed promising, but then they weren't going to match the same level of coverage. Obviously that's frustrating as a fan!

Also, the format is typically 64 teams, but it was reduced to 48 and the original decision cited health/safety concerns with COVID. But basketball has clearly demonstrated 64 works just fine, but the NCAA stuck to the format because of money. Again, it's a step back when it didn't have to be. Rightfully frustrating for volleyball programs and their fans.

Comparing women's volleyball to men's water polo is just a fallacy. Volleyball is one of the top 3 sports on the women's side.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 16097
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/21 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's not fall into the trap of setting women's sports and Olympic men's sports against each other. We're all struggling together.



_________________
"The plan is insane. You are insane… I'll need some pants."
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13770
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/21 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
The points you all are raising are interested and good to discuss, but let me just point out again that the interest is already there for volleyball. The reason for the outrage is that the tournament set-up has been a step back this year when it didn't have to be.

Typically all games in recent years have been TV, with commentary, just spread among different networks for the opening rounds. This year when ESPN took over, that seemed promising, but then they weren't going to match the same level of coverage. Obviously that's frustrating as a fan!

Also, the format is typically 64 teams, but it was reduced to 48 and the original decision cited health/safety concerns with COVID. But basketball has clearly demonstrated 64 works just fine, but the NCAA stuck to the format because of money. Again, it's a step back when it didn't have to be. Rightfully frustrating for volleyball programs and their fans.

Comparing women's volleyball to men's water polo is just a fallacy. Volleyball is one of the top 3 sports on the women's side.


I don’t bring up water polo or gymnastics to say they are equal in terms of fan interest, money generated, or any other reason. But if you are going to bring up gender and say men’s sports are treated better than women’s sports then yes all men’s sports are relevant. If you (not you) want to turn this into a gender issue than all of it must be considered, not just the parts that make your point, what the NCAA did for men’s basketball was one thing, but to say that men’s they view male athletes as better than female athletes and when it’s clear female athletes are given more and treated better than some male athletes, your gender argument falls flat.

As far as the volleyball tournament specifically, it sounds like things could be better and could have been done differently. I would also point out that what you says is not exactly true, in 2017 UCLA volleyball hosted and their matches were live streamed on uclabruins.com, and they don’t say anything about having commentary, in 2019 UCLA’s first match was on BigTen+ and there is no mention of commentary. In 2018 USC’s first 2 rounds were streamed at usctrojans.com, and I can’t tell if their other 1st round match has commentary. I just looked at the 2 local teams, but going back through 4 years, at least half of the matches were not carried by tv networks, and in the past when UCLA has streamed volleyball matches during the regular season there hasn’t always been commentary, and reading the press releases there is no mention of announcers, so there is nothing that leads me to believe those matches had any in game commentary other than that in arena announcer.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/21 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If true re: no announces, I've been misinformed and apologize for further perpetuating that. I will say that most of the BTN+ matches have commentary as does something like UCLA bruins .com -- in these cases the school itself usually has their own commentator or pair of commentators I think?

Re: your points about gender. I haven't been addressing this issue so your beef is with another poster. That said, I'm just pointing out that it's a fallacy to say "some women's sports are treated better than men's sports, so therefore the gender argument falls flat." Gender plays a huge role. I don't think anyone's suggesting it is as black and white as "women are treated more inferiorly across the board." We all agree that it is a nuanced situation.


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2621
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/21 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Why is the ncaa so frugal? Where is all the big tv money going besides in their pockets?


The vast majority of the money that comes in goes out to all the conferences, who then in turn give some to their member schools. They also conduct somewhere around 90 different championships across DI, DII and DIII which also costs a lot of money.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin