RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Covid year eligibility for seniors/grad transfers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/30/21 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Cubaj and Fletcher are both returning for GeoTech

That is HUGE. They could push for the Top 10 next year.

PostPosted: 03/30/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aleah Goodman for OrSU has decided not to come back for a 5th year. Bad news for the Beavs.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/30/21 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
Since all players this year have to “opt in” to the draft, due to the extra eligibility year, is there a list somewhere showing which players have done so?

unofficial and I don't know how complete

https://wbasketballblog.com/2021/03/25/2021-wnba-draft-declaration-tracker/

Last edited by myrtle on 03/30/21 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 03/30/21 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Aleah Goodman for OrSU has decided not to come back for a 5th year. Bad news for the Beavs.

Ouch. Shocked Oregon is young, with only Boley and Giomi the graduating seniors. Love to see 'em stay, but....who knows?

PostPosted: 03/30/21 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

A bit surprising. I was willing to bet she'd return for one last run, especially since she's from Oregon, but she really did have a breakout season. Now Oregon State's losing its two backcourt starters all of a sudden, but with the way they've been recruiting lately, they'll find a way to move forward.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/31/21 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jade Williams got into Fuqua for her MBA and will be returning for a fifth year with Duke women's basketball!

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/31/21 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ali Patberg returning for Indiana. With transferring and redshirting and being injured, I think this will be her 7th year of college basketball?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/31/21 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Ali Patberg returning for Indiana. With transferring and redshirting and being injured, I think this will be her 7th year of college basketball?
Yes!

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/31/21 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren VanKleunen or LVK as she's often called (much easier that way Smile ) announced on twitter she's coming back for another year at Marquette:

https://twitter.com/LaurenVK_42/status/1377419868778065922

She redshirted her freshman year so has already been at MU 5 years and earned her undergrad in 3 years so I wasn't sure if she'd come back or not. But I guess her grad program either continues now or she's going for a second graduate degree. But in any case I'm happy to see her coming back Smile. I haven't heard anything about Selena Lott yet and whether she plans to come back for another year or not.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/01/21 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Yes!

That's crazy! I'm not hatin' on Patberg but it's just hard to wrap my head around a student athlete getting 7 years. Get those free degrees, girl!

Shades

PostPosted: 04/01/21 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

She has enough awareness to realize she doesn’t have a future in WNBA basketball.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/01/21 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA has stumbled upon the only way to improve the level of play in WCB: more years of eligibility.

Next year will be the best year ever.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/01/21 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
The NCAA has stumbled upon the only way to improve the level of play in WCB: more years of eligibility.

Next year will be the best year ever.

I tried...and I can't. I love you guys but UConn fans make me want to never come back here.

PostPosted: 04/01/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Yes!

That's crazy! I'm not hatin' on Patberg but it's just hard to wrap my head around a student athlete getting 7 years. Get those free degrees, girl!

This^^ Laughing We're gonna need to come up with new language to describe what year these players are in. SuperSenior? 7th-year SuperDuper Senior? Senior Citizen? Laughing

In all seriousness though, after bringing IU to a program-first Elite Eight run, I thought she might step back. But she is citing that tried and true cliche of "unfinished business." So I guess anything short of a Final Four (and maybe a conference championship) next year will be a disappointment? Commendable goal but will be exceedingly difficult considering all of the returning + new talent next year.

Another thing: I totally understand why NCAA has allowed for this blanket extra year of eligibility and I think it's great for the athletes who missed out on opportunities. But does anyone else feel it's kind of a disadvantage to teams who are already on the younger side this year?

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/01/21 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really a disadvantage to the high school classes of 2022 and 2023, as there will be fewer scholarships to go around.

I can't blame the older kids, who will get a year of grad school and/or complete their degrees for free, but we may see a lot more talent wind up at JCs.

PostPosted: 04/02/21 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kayla Wells is returning to A&M.

N’dea Jones, cierra Johnson, Aliyah Wilson have declared for draft. Anna Dreimane is in transfer portal. No word on Destiny Pitts.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/02/21 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's really a disadvantage to the high school classes of 2022 and 2023, as there will be fewer scholarships to go around.

I can't blame the older kids, who will get a year of grad school and/or complete their degrees for free, but we may see a lot more talent wind up at JCs.

So if a current player has earned their degree and has an extra year of eligibility, does that automatically mean the/a school must provide them a scholarship? NCAA has given them an extra year, but that doesn’t mean it must come at a schools expense, does it?

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/02/21 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ClayK wrote:

So if a current player has earned their degree and has an extra year of eligibility, does that automatically mean the/a school must provide them a scholarship? NCAA has given them an extra year, but that doesn’t mean it must come at a schools expense, does it?

Presumably the school could say "We don't want you and won't admit you."

That wouldn't look real good, especially with the NCAA under fire from so many directions.

PostPosted: 04/02/21 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

This is ridiculous and not what this whole blanket rule was designed for. She began her career at Notre Dame in the fall of 2015, redshirting that year due to a knee injury. Since that time, she has had another 5 years to play. To put it in perspective, her classmate at Notre Dame was Jackie Young, who this summer will complete in her 3rd season in the WNBA! Seriously, WTF?

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/02/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

This is ridiculous and not what this whole blanket rule was designed for. She began her career at Notre Dame in the fall of 2015, redshirting that year due to a knee injury. Since that time, she has had another 5 years to play. To put it in perspective, her classmate at Notre Dame was Jackie Young, who this summer will complete in her 3rd season in the WNBA! Seriously, WTF?

Why compare her to Young, who only played 3 years? That is not the norm but in 3 years Young played in 109 games. Patberg all of her years has played in 112 games so she has clearly missed a lot of time.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/02/21 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Why compare her to Young, who only played 3 years? That is not the norm but in 3 years Young played in 109 games. Patberg all of her years has played in 112 games so she has clearly missed a lot of time.

Since when does total games matter (I'm guessing Young's total includes NCAA tournament games, so there is an extra 12-15 or so. Patberg could have had those but she transferred on top of redshirting for an injury)? We can go back through the history of college basketball and find players that have missed a bunch of time. However, none of them have been allowed to play over 7 seasons in college. That's asinine. I don't care who they are or what school they go to.

I compared her to Young simply because they entered school together as freshmen at Notre Dame. Seems pretty appropriate. I mean, I could compare her to pretty much every other college student-athlete that entered school in the Fall of 2015 if you'd like. How many are still going to college in the Fall of 2021 as a 7th year student-athlete?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee's Rennia Davis declaring for the WNBA draft, as expected.

PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Presumably the school could say "We don't want you and won't admit you."

That wouldn't look real good, especially with the NCAA under fire from so many directions.

They also must qualify for a graduate program at that school. Or maybe they can also just go for a second undergraduate degree...

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Since when does total games matter (I'm guessing Young's total includes NCAA tournament games, so there is an extra 12-15 or so. Patberg could have had those but she transferred on top of redshirting for an injury)? We can go back through the history of college basketball and find players that have missed a bunch of time. However, none of them have been allowed to play over 7 seasons in college. That's asinine. I don't care who they are or what school they go to.

I compared her to Young simply because they entered school together as freshmen at Notre Dame. Seems pretty appropriate. I mean, I could compare her to pretty much every other college student-athlete that entered school in the Fall of 2015 if you'd like. How many are still going to college in the Fall of 2021 as a 7th year student-athlete?

I'm genuinely curious -- does anyone know of cases similar to Patberg's in which an athlete has been granted an abnormally high number of years of eligibility?

I'm not sure at all if it's related to Patberg's decision to stay, but the day after she announced, fellow IU guards Jaelynn Penn and Chanel Wilson announced they were entering the transfer portal. Perhaps knowing that if Patberg is returning, less minutes available? This is total speculation on my part.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

I'm genuinely curious -- does anyone know of cases similar to Patberg's in which an athlete has been granted an abnormally high number of years of eligibility?

I'm not sure at all if it's related to Patberg's decision to stay, but the day after she announced, fellow IU guards Jaelynn Penn and Chanel Wilson announced they were entering the transfer portal. Perhaps knowing that if Patberg is returning, less minutes available? This is total speculation on my part.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: